Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

3.) The Big12 seems like a balanced, fun league that's going to have to really lean into offense to win games. Idk how exactly, but I have to figure that over time the league is going to go more and more wide open on offense as a way to try to compete against the likes of the SEC and B1G. 

Not even in SECX3 yet and already repeating the tired talking points that SECX3 defenses are dominant and the B12 offenses are gimmicky. 

In reality, it’s the SECX3 and every other league that has adopted the spread variations. 

B12 (3.0? 4.0?) will get its share of defensive talent. 

19 minutes ago, nnm said:

Not even in SECX3 yet and already repeating the tired talking points that SECX3 defenses are dominant and the B12 offenses are gimmicky. 

In reality, it’s the SECX3 and every other league that has adopted the spread variations. 

B12 (3.0? 4.0?) will get its share of defensive talent. 

May want to check the last 20 drafts or so.  SEC emphatically wins that metric, and I think it matters to kids.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, troph said:

one of the best things about this board is that we have folks from all over. these pokes and state fans emphatically belong here.  same with our resident bruin, even bama fans. there are many others.

Yeah, I mean it's so diverse at this point that calling this a UT website is almost a stretch, even though it's obviously UT themed with a majority of UT grads/fans that post. It's a community. Nobody really gives a shit outside of the handful of nerds that will try to gatekeep if you hurt their fee fees. Luckily, this is fuckin' Surly, bitch. You can just tell them to suck your asshole and there's nothing they can fuckin' do about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Okie State said:

I rarely ever post on your football board because it's the second worst board on Surly behind CR. The only reason I do on this thread is because it is literally about us as a Big 12 left behind. Makes you wonder why you're posting on a thread that has nothing to do with Texas? But keep up with that narrative as though you somehow own every thread on Surly.

There are actually a huge number of great posters on here with a huge number of interesting topics. Sorry you two are not either in that group.

Oh yeah? Well you are a bird faced poopy headed ninny muggins. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Luckily, this is fuckin' Surly, bitch. You can just tell them to suck your asshole and there's nothing they can fuckin' do about it.

While I agree with your message, I prefer, “Here’s a spoon, so you can eat my ass.” Has a little more class to it and all. 

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

While I agree with your message, I prefer, “Here’s a spoon, so you can eat my ass.” Has a little more class to it and all. 

I wish they had an ER alert like they do the APD booking data base, if so I'd put thunderlounge on watch notice for a spoon lost up his butthole.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There won’t be a perennial big dog in the Big 12. Teams will rise up and have a big year or two, and then come down to the mean for awhile.

That’s what will make it watchable. The SEC and Big 10 make their dough on being able to have a big name matchup or two each week. The Big 12’a draw is “who is the story this year?”.

I agree with this. The Big 12 has visibility. Just like TCU this year their ratings went from 1 million viewers then they beat Oklahoma and jumped to 2 million then they beat Texas and jumped to 4 million in their final 2 games.

I can easily see the same thing happening with nearly any Big 12 favor of the year though I do think without being able to beat UT/OU and easier access to the playoff that 4 million viewers will be rare and infrequent.

While looking into that draft, look at exactly where those kids went to high schools....specifically the last 5-10 years. 

The Big 12 isn’t kicking out draft picks like the SeC, but the 2022 was very good with 2023 a good follow up for the Big 12 particularly on defense.

Texas high schools will produce enough talent. You just have to choose wisely and develop each players skills.

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Luckily, this is fuckin' Surly, bitch. You can just tell them to suck your asshole and there's nothing they can fuckin' do about it.

You can say a lot of things on here, just don't tell someone they are something that rhymes with maggot. I got a warning for that one.

Edited by redswingline

20 minutes ago, redswingline said:

You can say a lot of things on here, just don't tell someone they are something that rhymes with maggot. I got a warning for that one.

You called someone a Rabbit?

*what does that even mean? Is that Bad?

Edited by Welshy

Probably in the minority but I’m looking forward to future Big 12 games. It’s so random based on history of each school.  I’d prefer it stay within geographic conferences, but the interesting games to watch, for me, were teams that had no history of conference play.

Big 12 will deliver a lot of that. That’s said, fuck em.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There won’t be a perennial big dog in the Big 12. Teams will rise up and have a big year or two, and then come down to the mean for awhile.

That’s what will make it watchable. The SEC and Big 10 make their dough on being able to have a big name matchup or two each week. The Big 12’a draw is “who is the story this year?”.

Why, that’s a great way to market a conference. Oh, what fun it will be! 

Is there any drawback?

Well,…you are permanent conference-mates with Baylor. 

…and we’re not. 

On 7/30/2023 at 8:12 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/30/2023 at 8:09 PM, tonedeaf said:
So.....one game?  As a Texas fan I don't know where to start.   emoji20.png

Hahaha yeah one game. Tell me you don't know oSu football without telling me. But yeah, that was likely as close as we'll ever get. Texas has had and will have many more.

Wasn't it right after a student plane crash or something?

Probably in the minority but I’m looking forward to future Big 12 games. It’s so random based on history of each school.  I’d prefer it stay within geographic conferences, but the interesting games to watch, for me, were teams that had no history of conference play.

No rivalries really left. Okie state and Tech? Kansas and KSU? Maybe they can manufacture TCU and Baylor….

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

I'm always ready for a nap at 11 am, so the Big 12 games will be good for that. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

No rivalries really left. Okie state and Tech? Kansas and KSU? Maybe they can manufacture TCU and Baylor….

regardless of school size, a huge component of sports are rivalries and the big 16 or whatever the fuck its going to call itself will have them left and right.

ok lite vs. tech

ku vs. ksu

isu vs. co will rekindle

utah vs. byu

asu vs. ua

bu vs isu has become rather chirpy the past 5 years

I don't think WVU has a rival due to their geographic position and formerly being in the big east.

who else is going to the big 12? Cincy? I don't know who their rivals are.

then cougar high. maybe they had rivals from the old swc days and those may start up, but who knows. That was a long time ago and the kids playing now probably never even heard of the swc.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm always ready for a nap at 11 am, so the Big 12 games will be good for that. 

Ah c’mon you’re being silly. We’re a fan base that wants MACtion every week.

There are some  weird and wonderful matchups in the new Big 12. Sign me up.

Personal opinion, but I think ksu, Tcu and Utah will be at top most years with the other schools having normal 5 year up/down swings. There will be no "top dog" that runs the conference. It can all be shaken up quickly with coaching changes so who knows. 

17 hours ago, seven said:

Personal opinion, but I think ksu, Tcu and Utah will be at top most years with the other schools having normal 5 year up/down swings. There will be no "top dog" that runs the conference. It can all be shaken up quickly with coaching changes so who knows. 

It won't be OSU and ISU.