Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

As part of the new schedule, the Big 12 is prioritizing four rivalries: Utah-BYU, Baylor-TCU, Arizona-Arizona State and Kansas-Kansas State will play every year. With both Oklahoma and Texas headed to the SEC, the conference is losing its most prominent rivalry and two schools that have multiple rivalries within the Big 12.

Otherwise, teams will play each other either two or three times in this four-year span. While the opponents are official, times and dates of the matchups are still to be determined. 

Coug High for sure getting new guy’d, but they’re a hoops add with no fans so they’re probably fine with it.

The Big 12 once again screwed up. Their only path to relevance is Texas and OKC watching their games. All of the Texas schools + Okie State should play each other every year. 

I also enjoy checking in on this thread every once in awhile to see that Texas fans have, for the most part, left and it's just a bunch of low brow big12 cumstains talking amongst each other. I imagine it is something similar to a group get together in College Station where paw and maw and the fam get together to talk about big bad Texas. Enjoy playing UCF and Houston!
Good post. Would read again.
  • Haha 4

Baylor was on ESPN+ for the third week in a row (they were sold out and on ABC when they played us). 
Tonight, driving home, I went by the Baylor stadium as they went to OT. You could see that the upper deck was almost empty. 

Last week, KSU played UH on ESPN2 at 12 and 371K watched (.18 rating). At 8, on ESPN2, UTEP played SHSU and 321k watched (.21 rating). 

Oh, yeah, the B12 will be ok. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Those Kansas State vs Houston numbers should absolutely horrify the athletic departments of the left-behind schools.

I wish I could be there in a couple years when the networks write their corresponding dollar figure on a sheet of paper and slide it across the table to Yormark and Wiesner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

19 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Those Kansas State vs Houston numbers should absolutely horrify the athletic departments of the left-behind schools.

I wish I could be there in a couple years when the networks write their corresponding dollar figure on a sheet of paper and slide it across the table to Yormark and Wiesner.

The first marker will be when Fox says, “Brett, I know the B12 has the only games we can show, contractually, at 3:00 on Fox’ main channel, but…we’ve got this figure skating that we’d really rather show. We can put OSU-KSU on FS2”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

I think-maybe I’m wrong- that this Saturday will be the last time the Horns play a game in this state in a stadium that has a capacity less than 100k

We'll probably play Rice at Reliant at some point, but yeah, no true road game at a smaller stadium for a long time.

Does Reliant not hold 100k? If not, it’s big enough to get us the number of seats we need. (AT&T may have to do SRO to get to100k).

I can see us playing a road game at a smaller stadium, if it’s a destination type game- Colorado, PNW, etc. I can’t see us doing that in Texas. 

Not really, but in Oklahoma, Gundy has been asked a dozen times why we let Bedlam die, and get upset when he responds that ou killed the series by moving conferences. That is the truth. Whether negotiations have been held about a non-con series is unknown, the media and ou fans just pretend that ou has an open invitation that all we have to do is say yes, which isn't true. And I think most OSU fans are ready for a break from the game anyway, and there's nothing wrong with that while we figure out the new landscape.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Not really, but in Oklahoma, Gundy has been asked a dozen times why we let Bedlam die, and get upset when he responds that ou killed the series by moving conferences. That is the truth. Whether negotiations have been held about a non-con series is unknown, the media and ou fans just pretend that ou has an open invitation that all we have to do is say yes, which isn't true. And I think most OSU fans are ready for a break from the game anyway, and there's nothing wrong with that while we figure out the new landscape.

Yeah, I don't think anyone in Texas is blaming Tech for the UT/Tech series ending, and if this board is any indicator of the Texas fanbase in general, they're giddy about that series ending.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The difference is that Oklahoma media loves the Sooners. Texas media loves poking the Longhorns. I mean for fuck's sake our hometown beat writer didn't vote for VY. Sure he apologized later but that right there just showed, forever, that he's either stupid, biased against Texas, or both. 

Anyway, nobody in Texas would ever ask McGuire why they're letting the game with Texas end. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The difference is that Oklahoma media loves the Sooners. Texas media loves poking the Longhorns. I mean for fuck's sake our hometown beat writer didn't vote for VY. Sure he apologized later but that right there just showed, forever, that he's either stupid, biased against Texas, or both. 

Anyway, nobody in Texas would ever ask McGuire why they're letting the game with Texas end. 

I listened to more talk radio last week than I have in years and my favorite part is that they are still crying over Reilly and gloating over his failures at USC. One of the hosts literally admitted that "we wen't pretty easy in him when he was here but now we know what a bad person he really is." 

Seriously, a literal admission about their biases. He was always a good coach and a jackass. You protected him until he took another job, and now you think he's a "bad person." Fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I remember one of the posters (?Scipio) posting on one of the many former versions of this website -- on the subject of OOC games.  His opinion was that you either A) get a home game for your fans/donors and eat a cupcake, or B) schedule a perennial OOC power (Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Bama, Notre Dame) in a home-and-home.  

"Don't mess with Mister In-Between" was his observation.  i.e. don't play teams that aren't a national brand (little or no credit for a win) but they're still good enough to get you in their home stadium and beat you.  

Seems to me that pretty much all of the left-behind schools are Mr In-Between. 

I could get behind playing a home-home vs a school that's a decent travel destination (Tulane in New Orleans, Colorado in Denver or Boulder).  We're not going back to Waco, Ames, or Lubbock in my lifetime though.  

That scheduling strategy (and this post) doesn't even take into account the hard feelings and bad blood from our departure.

I have a lot of beefs with shit that our athletic department does poorly (hire coaches, manage your game-day in-stadium experience).  But I think they've done a solid job of scheduling.  Lots of big-name matchups, a few cupcakes at home.  We've also stayed away from scheduling a bunch of the you've-got-to-be-fucking-kidding-me matchups of our future SEC brethren.  Our Aggie brethren have scheduled Lamar, Abeline Christian, Incarnate Word, etc.  Ugh.   

• Hook 'Em 3

Right. We have more Tarrant County fans than they do. Why would we ever agree to play a game there where we were given 10% of the tickets? For old times’ sake?

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Kirk Bohls: both

Just now, ultimaton said:

Another difference is outside of Lubbock or Waco, most Texans are ok with UT ending our... lesser rivalries... if it means getting aggy (and depending on what generation you're from, Arkansas) back on the schedule. 

Tech isn't our rival. 

We will have 3 legit rivals we actually care about in the SEC: Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tech isn't our rival. 

We will have 3 legit rivals we actually care about in the SEC: Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M.

In addition to those, we have some longstanding series records we need to pile onto to turn upside-down in the SEC with Vandy and south Chickenlina. Lulz.

Edited by BachelorTrek

20 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I remember one of the posters (?Scipio) posting on one of the many former versions of this website -- on the subject of OOC games.  His opinion was that you either A) get a home game for your fans/donors and eat a cupcake, or B) schedule a perennial OOC power (Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Bama, Notre Dame) in a home-and-home.  

"Don't mess with Mister In-Between" was his observation.  i.e. don't play teams that aren't a national brand (little or no credit for a win) but they're still good enough to get you in their home stadium and beat you.  

Seems to me that pretty much all of the left-behind schools are Mr In-Between. 

I could get behind playing a home-home vs a school that's a decent travel destination (Tulane in New Orleans, Colorado in Denver or Boulder).  We're not going back to Waco, Ames, or Lubbock in my lifetime though.  

That scheduling strategy (and this post) doesn't even take into account the hard feelings and bad blood from our departure.

I have a lot of beefs with shit that our athletic department does poorly (hire coaches, manage your game-day in-stadium experience).  But I think they've done a solid job of scheduling.  Lots of big-name matchups, a few cupcakes at home.  We've also stayed away from scheduling a bunch of the you've-got-to-be-fucking-kidding-me matchups of our future SEC brethren.  Our Aggie brethren have scheduled Lamar, Abeline Christian, Incarnate Word, etc.  Ugh.   

I really don't think ISU fans would care one way or another to have Texas come back to Ames.  Not in any kind of "fuck you" or bad blood kind of way.  Just in that if you aren't in our conference there's no compelling reason to play the game outside of a bowl or something like that.  The non-conference games pretty much sell out regardless of opponent because our fanbase is far more driven by whether or not it's going to be a nice day for tailgating and if ISU still has hope than they are the name on the helmet of the opponent.

Oklahoma would be a different story due to the lengthy history between the schools.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You have Arkansas, Oregon and Bama coming up for your non-conference schedule over the next few years so I can at least see why you wouldn't want to throw OU in the mix. You at least have some legitimate teams to prop up your national reputation outside of the Big 12. I do have a feeling that you're going to want that game back eventually. Maybe not now as much since you can claim eternal scoreboard after losing 85% of the games over the course of the series, but at some point you are going to look up and realize that the biggest game on you schedule is...  who, exactly? KSU? KU? ISU? Colorado? Tech? 

We walked away from the A&M game with the same, "You left this conference, go fuck yourself," attitude. I think they were stunned that we would end it, but after a few years, we were the ones that started calling them out for being big pussies for not rescheduling it.  The didn't want it when they could hide behind the SEC logo and say how much better they were without ever having to show it on the field. In the long run, OU needs that game much less than you do. I think you would be better off trying to keep it, but I get where you're coming from.

Regardless, if you have Texas and OU in the SEC for a number of years and they are having success, I am not sure how much B12 schools will want them anyway. The talent gap is only going to widen once we leave. We are already seeing it this year frankly. We detonated Kansas and Kansas State on the lines of scrimmage, and those are two front runners in the conference race.  

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You have Arkansas, Oregon and Bama coming up for your non-conference schedule over the next few years so I can at least see why you wouldn't want to throw OU in the mix. You at least have some legitimate teams to prop up your national reputation outside of the Big 12. I do have a feeling that you're going to want that game back eventually. Maybe not now as much since you can claim eternal scoreboard after losing 85% of the games over the course of the series, but at some point you are going to look up and realize that the biggest game on you schedule is...  who, exactly? KSU? KU? ISU? Colorado? Tech? 

We walked away from the A&M game with the same, "You left this conference, go fuck yourself," attitude. I think they were stunned that we would end it, but after a few years, we were the ones that started calling them out for being big pussies for not rescheduling it.  The didn't want it when they could hide behind the SEC logo and say how much better they were without ever having to show it on the field. In the long run, OU needs that game much less than you do. I think you would be better off trying to keep it, but I get where you're coming from.

I'm not trying to speak for the Pokes, but coming from another school that no longer has any blue bloods on the schedule, we really don't give a shit.  Our fanbase has never been one that's just sitting around waiting for the blue blood to come to town to get all amped up.

Any of those schools could be a massive game depending on the stakes in a given year.  Looking at the new Big 12 schedule, I look at 2026 when we have Utah, KSU, OK State, Cincy, and WVU coming to Ames and think "that's the most entertaining home slate we've ever had".  I think playing WVU is fun as hell.  I think playing Utah is fun.  Cincy?  If we're good or they're good, sure, why not.  OSU and KSU?  Two similar opponents we've been playing forever.  Looks like a blast to me, but I'm sure you'd riot if that was a Texas slate.

This is one of those things where I think fans of blue bloods and fans of in-betweens look at things really differently.  As a fan, it's just more important to your experience to play brands.  We're more driven by whether our team is in the hunt or if we have some kind of history with the opponent.  Opponent brand is a ways down the list for our fanbase.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not trying to speak for the Pokes, but coming from another school that no longer has any blue bloods on the schedule, we really don't give a shit.  Our fanbase has never been one that's just sitting around waiting for the blue blood to come to town to get all amped up.

Any of those schools could be a massive game depending on the stakes in a given year.  Looking at the new Big 12 schedule, I look at 2026 when we have Utah, KSU, OK State, Cincy, and WVU coming to Ames and think "that's the most entertaining home slate we've ever had".  I think playing WVU is fun as hell.  I think playing Utah is fun.  Cincy?  If we're good or they're good, sure, why not.  OSU and KSU?  Two similar opponents we've been playing forever.  Looks like a blast to me, but I'm sure you'd riot if that was a Texas slate.

This is one of those things where I think fans of blue bloods and fans of in-betweens look at things really differently.  As a fan, it's just more important to your experience to play brands.  We're more driven by whether our team is in the hunt or if we have some kind of history with the opponent.  Opponent brand is a ways down the list for our fanbase.

I'm talking less about brand /blue blood and more about history/rivalry. You would be perfectly cool never playing Iowa again? Considering how brutal they are to watch, maybe that's not the best example.

I think we're actually going to see a lot less decent OOC matchups in the SEC and Big 10. The Big 10 for sure since they added 4 good to great Pac 12 teams and some great away games for their fans. I think the premium will be on home games since you're losing one every other year in a 9 game schedule. Unless you can link up home and away to keep your home schedule whole, you're going to go to teams that you can bring into your house with no expectation of a return trip. That's why we'll see a lot more Texas teams coming into Austin. We're not going to waste one of our OOC slots on a former Big 12 opponent who would expect a return trip. We're going with Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Louisiana city schools, and other lower tier G5 teams. It will be interesting to see what we do after 2027. So far, we only have Arizona State on the docket after 2027 as a non-Texas OOC team. We had Florida and Georgia on the schedule which now is obviously folded into our SEC schedule. 

If the SEC sticks with 8 games, maybe we go for some old Big 12 teams but I doubt it. Tech showed their ass like Houston once did so that's done going forward. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think we're actually going to see a lot less decent OOC matchups in the SEC and Big 10. The Big 10 for sure since they added 4 good to great Pac 12 teams and some great away games for their fans. I think the premium will be on home games since you're losing one every other year in a 9 game schedule. Unless you can link up home and away to keep your home schedule whole, you're going to go to teams that you can bring into your house with no expectation of a return trip. That's why we'll see a lot more Texas teams coming into Austin. We're not going to waste one of our OOC slots on a former Big 12 opponent who would expect a return trip. We're going with Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Louisiana city schools, and other lower tier G5 teams. It will be interesting to see what we do after 2027. So far, we only have Arizona State on the docket after 2027 as a non-Texas OOC team. We had Florida and Georgia on the schedule which now is obviously folded into our SEC schedule. 

If the SEC sticks with 8 games, maybe we go for some old Big 12 teams but I doubt it. Tech showed their ass like Houston once did so that's done going forward. 

Don't forget SWT on the schedule in 2026..... makes you wonder if that will become more regular or not. Sam could re-appear in that group as well.

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm talking less about brand /blue blood and more about history/rivalry. You would be perfectly cool never playing Iowa again? Considering how brutal they are to watch, maybe that's not the best example.

I would 100% be in favor of playing Iowa every other year, for reasons that have nothing to do with the madness that is their entire approach to a program.

We actually don't have the history that people assume.  The series didn't play from like 1934 until 1977.  We skipped the COVID year too, because the Big 10 went in-house only.  That was a really, really fun season.

I'd love to play that game on a regular, but not annual, basis that allowed us to fill in that P4 non-conference slate with nearby, similar level programs that aren't in the Big 12.  Minnesota, Nebraska, Mizzou, Illinois, Wisky, Pig, etc.  Give us some close road trips and all that jazz.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

Any chance Tech had at getting Texas to play them in Lubbock again ended with the way they completely Tech'd it up both when Beard returned and all the additional security we had to hire to deal with that nonsense + their absurdity after the football win last year including flat out assaulting one of our players trying to leave the field.  That's Tech.  That's who they are.   And I would be beyond shocked if anyone from this generation of our athletic dept would ever agree to play them again.  Absolutely zero upside.

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would 100% be in favor of playing Iowa every other year, for reasons that have nothing to do with the madness that is their entire approach to a program.

We actually don't have the history that people assume.  The series didn't play from like 1934 until 1977.  We skipped the COVID year too, because the Big 10 went in-house only.  That was a really, really fun season.

I'd love to play that game on a regular, but not annual, basis that allowed us to fill in that P4 non-conference slate with nearby, similar level programs that aren't in the Big 12.  Minnesota, Nebraska, Mizzou, Illinois, Wisky, Pig, etc.  Give us some close road trips and all that jazz.

Right... but would you be okay with never playing Iowa again? Not semi-regularly to mix in some other regional foes, N-E-V-E-R. Because that's essentially what Oklahoma State said.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Any chance Tech had at getting Texas to play them in Lubbock again ended with the way they completely Tech'd it up both when Beard returned and all the additional security we had to hire to deal with that nonsense + their absurdity after the football win last year including flat out assaulting one of our players trying to leave the field.  That's Tech.  That's who they are.   And I would be beyond shocked if anyone from this generation of our athletic dept would ever agree to play them again.  Absolutely zero upside.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tech nutcases attempt to toss tortillas from the DKRTMS stands even if they're getting a Black Friday ass-reaming just because they know they won't have another chance to do it in football for a very, very long time, if ever again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Right... but would you be okay with never playing Iowa again? Not semi-regularly to mix in some other regional foes, N-E-V-E-R. Because that's essentially what Oklahoma State said.

No, I wouldn't be cool with that.

But Iowa/Iowa State is a really different beast than OU/Oklahoma State.  We've never shared a conference, and the actions of the University of Iowa have never really put ISU's existence into some kind of potential jeopardy.  Iowa's not a national brand that can bring the biggest conferences more value, they were lucky to hook up with Michigan and Ohio State 120 years ago and are grandfathered into the lap of luxury.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if I were a Poke.  I would think that with the way things have turned out, I'd want to keep playing them in the non-conference once the current OOC obligations were met.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If they wait 10-15 years, I think the ratings for that game would be crazy good.

I don't watch a ton of Tech OOC games, and I'll almost certainly watch fewer Texas ones than I have just due to them not being on the schedule, but letting that simmer for a decade would be appointment to TV to a lot of uninvested fans.

With a series record of 20-91-7 against OU, of course they do. 
No shit. You cracked it. I don't enjoy the game at all and haven't really ever for as long as I remember. I know a lot of OSU fans who watch, but not sure they actually enjoy the game. All the OU fans I know have always loved it for obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If they wait 10-15 years, I think the ratings for that game would be crazy good.

I don't watch a ton of Tech OOC games, and I'll almost certainly watch fewer Texas ones than I have just due to them not being on the schedule, but letting that simmer for a decade would be appointment to TV to a lot of uninvested fans.

Nah.  It'll just be the next round of "olds" that care like Texas-Arkansas.  Except that Arkansas at one point as a serious rival.  People expect these things to build up after not playing for a while, but they fade.

We have most of a season of ratings in. Brett Yormark has a problem. Ratings in games between the remaining B12 teams range from mediocre to wretched. 

In week 4, BU-UCF (added, because…Florida!) was watched by 340k, mid day on FS1. They were out viewed by the BTN also-rams matchup at the same time. Baylor has been relegated to streaming at this point in the season, with a streak of games on ESPN+. 

You could argue that maybe viewers were lured away by UH-TT on FS2 at the same time (it was viewed by 188k). 

In week 9, UH played KSU at noon on ESPN2, and was viewed by 371K. That’s 40k more than the viewers of UTEP-SHSU later that night on ESPN2.

My prediction is that this conference will be taken over by the four add ins next year. If the Left Behinds are smart, they’ll let them.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

We have most of a season of ratings in. Brett Yormark has a problem. Ratings in games between the remaining B12 teams range from mediocre to wretched. 

In week 4, BU-UCF (added, because…Florida!) was watched by 340k, mid day on FS1. They were out viewed by the BTN also-rams matchup at the same time. Baylor has been relegated to streaming at this point in the season, with a streak of games on ESPN+. 

You could argue that maybe viewers were lured away by UH-TT on FS2 at the same time (it was viewed by 188k). 

In week 9, UH played KSU at noon on ESPN2, and was viewed by 371K. That’s 40k more than the viewers of UTEP-SHSU later that night on ESPN2.

My prediction is that this conference will be taken over by the four add ins next year. If the Left Behinds are smart, they’ll let them. 

Well they get Colorado a year too late too.  Obviously if Shaduer returns with Sub-Prime they will be the belle of the B12 ball but they have gone from 9.3 million watching them play Colorado State to 2.77 million watching them play Oregon State (ranked #12).  So already down to less than 1/3rd the viewership of a much better game.  If CU doesn't beat one of Arizona or @WSU then they will miss a bowl and my guess is the prime hype machine will slow down to a crawl.