Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Not to mention that aggy is a flat out cult.

Tell me what the difference is between that mess and a religious school.

The way they collect the offering could vary greatly.

Edited by slorch

On 2/23/2024 at 1:31 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

SMU? They may still hold a grudge from their death penalty days. They were selling THE LIES OF TEXAS ARE UPON US T-shirts and bumpers stickers even after the NCAA reported that they gathered incriminating evidence from almost 20 schools. 

Screw those cheaters if they do, just like aggy has selective amnesia about their blatant cheating culture history.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

SMU tried to in 2019.  It’s in litigation.  They just got bitch slapped by the Dallas Court of Appeals over the summer.  They are very likely going to lose their attempt to disaffiliate with the church.  Their governing documents require church approval to amend articles of incorporation/charter.  They tried to amend their articles of incorporation to remove all the church’s rights of control without church approval.   That issue is being litigated now.  SMU has filed a petition for review with Texas Supreme Court that is pending.  I strongly suspect they are going to lose.  

So, if they won, how should they rename their school? 

9 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

You do realize that most private schools were founded with church afflation including USC, Northwestern and Vanderbilt.  All 3 were affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church.

I'm a Methodist. Seems to have the fewest rules so that suits me just fine

6 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Not to mention that aggy is a flat out cult.

Tell me what the difference is between that mess and a religious school.

Do they have separate dorms for men and women or is A&M still a boys school?

5 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

That would be news to Boston College.  

Boston Fredo College would not be surprised to hear they are a Jesuit school as its mentioned every ten minutes.  They might be surprised to hear that Jesuit Order is part of the Catholic church and has actual rules they don't apply to the students. 

On 2/22/2024 at 3:10 PM, Vertigo said:

Nah man, K-State and Iowa State for sure have us on the list. They really have an irrational hatred of all things Texas to the extent that it is a boogie man complex. Baylor, TCU, and Tech as well. Nebraska, Arkansas, OU, A&M. That leaves two more schools and I have no idea where those are coming from. Houston and Rice maybe? 

Hating someone doesn't mean you think they're a rival.   I hate schools ISU has never even played.

If you asked 100 ISU fans if they hated Texas, 90 of them would say yes.  If you asked a 100 ISU fans if Texas was a rival, 90 of them would say no.  I can't imagine KSU is any different.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

Yeah, Texas is the non-rival that they circle on the schedule, along with Iowa, and prepare “something special” for. 

Jarrod Hufford is not the average Cyclone fan.  The players often feel differently about opponents than fans do.

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

Yeah, Texas is the non-rival that they circle on the schedule, along with Iowa, and prepare “something special” for. 

Isn't that true of most non-bluebloods when they play a blueblood? Utah isn't "rivals" with USC or Oregon, but they sure do love to beat them, and surely prepare a little extra those weeks. Minnesota isn't "rivals" with Ohio State, but you damn sure bet they prepare a little extra when they play (the BIG's 50 "rivalry" trophies notwithstanding). Like Al said, ask a bunch of OSU fans if they "hate" Texas or really want to beat them, and most will say yes, but far fewer would call it a "rivalry," because it's not, it's just a blueblood opponent we've played regularly for more than 25 years now. It's a pretty universal phenomenon in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hating someone doesn't mean you think they're a rival.   I hate schools ISU has never even played.

If you asked 100 ISU fans if they hated Texas, 90 of them would say yes.  If you asked a 100 ISU fans if Texas was a rival, 90 of them would say no.  I can't imagine KSU is any different.

In trying to figure out how they got to 11 schools that think we are rivals, that is the only logical conclusion. Iowa State and K State absolutely revel in beating Texas. I am sure there are some people who would call that a rivalry. I don't consider it a rivalry, but that is mathematically the only way to get there. 

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Jarrod Hufford is not the average Cyclone fan.  The players often feel differently about opponents than fans do.

Any instance in which a person hints at ISU viewing Texas in some form that is above and beyond any standard opponent, it's like a bat signal for you to show up and tell us that you guys really don't care. It is as predictable as the sun rise, replete with you telling us that Jarrod Hufford is a big fat liar. It's awesome.

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Isn't that true of most non-bluebloods when they play a blueblood? Utah isn't "rivals" with USC or Oregon, but they sure do love to beat them, and surely prepare a little extra those weeks. Minnesota isn't "rivals" with Ohio State, but you damn sure bet they prepare a little extra when they play (the BIG's 50 "rivalry" trophies notwithstanding). Like Al said, ask a bunch of OSU fans if they "hate" Texas or really want to beat them, and most will say yes, but far fewer would call it a "rivalry," because it's not, it's just a blueblood opponent we've played regularly for more than 25 years now. It's a pretty universal phenomenon in my opinion.

Let's hold the fuck up here for a minute. First of all, Oregon is not a blue blood, by definition or standard. They also slink back into also-ran status when Knight kicks the bucket. They're a roided up johnny come lately who hasn't won shit. Beyond that, if you polled 1000 Okie State fans about who their first and second rivals are, anything less than 99% of them citing OU as the primary and Texas as the secondary is full of shit. We've seen what OSU fans and teams do when playing other big time programs in the OOS or post season, and it's usually ugly. Texas wasn't just some blue blood coming to town when they headed to Stillwater. Give us a fucking break, guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

In trying to figure out how they got to 11 schools that think we are rivals, that is the only logical conclusion. Iowa State and K State absolutely revel in beating Texas. I am sure there are some people who would call that a rivalry. I don't consider it a rivalry, but that is mathematically the only way to get there. 

Again, I've spent my entire life immersed in Iowa State fanhood, and these are the following schools I've heard anyone call a rival:

Iowa

Kansas State

Kansas

Missouri

Nebraska

That's it.  Maybe there's a group of ISU fans who consider Texas a rival out there, but I've never met a single one of them nor come across one on Twitter or any ISU message board.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Any instance in which a person hints at ISU viewing Texas in some form that is above and beyond any standard opponent, it's like a bat signal for you to show up and tell us that you guys really don't care. It is as predictable as the sun rise, replete with you telling us that Jarrod Hufford is a big fat liar. It's awesome.

Let's hold the fuck up here for a minute. First of all, Oregon is not a blue blood, by definition or standard. They also slink back into also-ran status when Knight kicks the bucket. They're a roided up johnny come lately who hasn't won shit. Beyond that, if you polled 1000 Okie State fans about who their first and second rivals are, anything less than 99% of them citing OU as the primary and Texas as the secondary is full of shit. We've seen what OSU fans and teams do when playing other big time programs in the OOS or post season, and it's usually ugly. Texas wasn't just some blue blood coming to town when they headed to Stillwater. Give us a fucking break, guy.

He's not a liar.  I'm sure the team circled that game and cared more about beating the big bad blue blood than they did about beating similar programs.

That doesn't mean the fans consider it a rivalry.  Texas is a team people hate.  Iowa's a rival.  There's a difference.  And hell yes we care.  It was the last time Texas, a major program, was coming to town.  That doesn't mean we think it's a rivalry.  ISU averaged 99% capacity this season, and we only played one rival in Ames.

For as much as you like to do the Dom Draper "I don't think about you at all" routine RE the I8, you make a lot of posts in this thread.  Your continued attempts to shame me for participating in this thread are just laughable in their hypocrisy.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He's not a liar.  I'm sure the team circled that game and cared more about beating the big bad blue blood than they did about beating similar programs.

That doesn't mean the fans consider it a rivalry.  Texas is a team people hate.  Iowa's a rival.  There's a difference.

I don't for one second believe that ISU fans would call Texas their primary rival. I'm sure a good portion of them would call KSU their secondary rival, too. That considered a not insignificant amount of them damned sure would have Texas in that secondary/tertiary area, which is what people are speculating about when they look at that poll in which 11 schools' fanbases named Texas as one of their rivals. 

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Again, I've spent my entire life immersed in Iowa State fanhood, and these are the following schools I've heard anyone call a rival:

Iowa

Kansas State

Kansas

Missouri

Nebraska

That's it.  Maybe there's a group of ISU fans who consider Texas a rival out there, but I've never met a single one of them nor come across one on Twitter or any ISU message board.

I see a problem with your list. You never play two of the teams, and Iowa is forced to play you. 

• Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

I don't for one second believe that ISU fans would call Texas their primary rival. I'm sure a good portion of them would call KSU their secondary rival, too. That considered a not insignificant amount of them damned sure would have Texas in that secondary/tertiary area, which is what people are speculating about when they look at that poll in which 11 schools' fanbases named Texas as one of their rivals. 

We're possibly arguing semantics.  ISU fans strongly dislike Texas, and any blue blood on the schedule raises the stakes of the game beyond a standard opponent. It is a big deal when Texas comes to town.

I've never heard anyone call Texas a rival.  

1 minute ago, statsman said:

I see a problem with your list. You never play two of the teams, and Iowa is forced to play you. 

Did you catch the part about "ever"?

For most of my life ISU played every team on that list every year.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I seriously don’t understand why you think you’re disagreeing with me. I agree that (1) OSU fans don’t like Texas and want to beat them more than anyone else (other than OU), and (2) it’s not a “rivalry” even if some OSU fans say it is, because it’s not by traditional definitions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I seriously don’t understand why you think you’re disagreeing with me. I agree that (1) OSU fans don’t like Texas and want to beat them more than anyone else (other than OU), and (2) it’s not a “rivalry” even if some OSU fans say it is, because it’s not by traditional definitions. 

This is the same point I've been trying to make.

It's not that ISU fans don't care about beating Texas - we absolutely do/did.  But "rivalry" means something that absolutely does not apply to what the ISU/Texas match up was, and ISU fans weren't dumb enough to try and convince anyone that it did.  The players circling that game doesn't change any of that.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2024 Iowa State Home Football Schedule

Saturday, Aug. 31: North Dakota

Saturday, Sept. 21: Arkansas State

Saturday, Oct. 5: Baylor

Saturday, Oct. 19: UCF

Saturday, Nov. 2: Texas Tech

Saturday, Nov. 16: Cincinnati

Saturday, Nov. 30: Kansas State

Wow. This is Conference USA level. Even worse is that ISU has to play at Arkansas State in 2025.  

• Haha 2

On 2/22/2024 at 3:10 PM, Vertigo said:

Nah man, K-State and Iowa State for sure have us on the list. They really have an irrational hatred of all things Texas to the extent that it is a boogie man complex. Baylor, TCU, and Tech as well. Nebraska, Arkansas, OU, A&M. That leaves two more schools and I have no idea where those are coming from. Houston and Rice maybe? 

K-State and Iowa State fans are listing Texas as their "biggest rival?" 

Umm... I seriously doubt that. 

I don't doubt other Texas schools, and forgot about Arkansas... don't doubt that one. Nebraska? Umm no. That's going to be OU, or maybe some rando team in the B1G, depending on the fan's age.

I think you're confusing "schools who enjoy Texas losing" with "schools who list Texas as their biggest rival."

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

First of all, Oregon is not a blue blood, by definition or standard. They also slink back into also-ran status when Knight kicks the bucket. They're a roided up johnny come lately who hasn't won shit. Beyond that, if you polled 1000 Okie State fans about who their first and second rivals are, anything less than 99% of them citing OU as the primary and Texas as the secondary is full of shit. We've seen what OSU fans and teams do when playing other big time programs in the OOS or post season, and it's usually ugly. Texas wasn't just some blue blood coming to town when they headed to Stillwater. Give us a fucking break, guy.

as always, refer to the chart people.

only updated through 2021 (and if

CFBbluebloods.thumb.jpeg.d5c6abacd3927313c71a3701b294795e.jpeg

here is the all time one, through last year: http://cfbcomparer.com/ap-poll-leaders

surl limits to 1000px wide, which is reasonable but just know that Oregon and Iowa are in a tier of their own behind Michigan State, Arkansas and Wisconsin

image.thumb.png.fbda7fd1eaa3a92547ce8f945548d811.png

Oregon is not and never will be a blue blood

editing to add in: fewer national championships than A&M ("3" vs 0). fewer conf championships than A&M (18 vs 14). 28% of their conf championships happened prior to 1950 and 57% of their conf championships have come since 2000.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

Blue bloods (IMO):

Bama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Florida, Florida State, LSU

Almost Blue bloods:

Penn State, Clemson, Tennessee, Auburn

Blue blood level following (not results):

Aggy, Nebraska

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Blue bloods (IMO):

Bama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Florida, Florida State, LSU

Almost Blue bloods:

Penn State, Clemson, Tennessee, Auburn

Blue blood level following (not results):

Aggy, Nebraska

The chart above is pretty clear that there are only 8 true blue bloods. I would begrudge Nebraska being in there, but you can't really deny it historically speaking.

tOSU, Oklahoma, Bama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Nebraska

That second tier I would classify 9 teams there. 

Penn State, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, UCLA, Florida State, Miami

Best of the Rest

Clemson, A&M, Washington, Michigan State, Arky, Wisconsin

• Hook 'Em 1

The issue with Nebraska is that their floor is much lower than of those other programs.   LSU, Georgia, and Florida should absolutely be ahead of Nebraska.

UCLA doesn't belong either.  Especially with their terrible fan support.

Clemson doesn't belong with the schools they're grouped in.  None of the others compete for natties.  MSU, Arky, and Wisconsin just have big followings and are usually solid.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The chart above is pretty clear that there are only 8 true blue bloods. I would begrudge Nebraska being in there, but you can't really deny it historically speaking.

tOSU, Oklahoma, Bama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Nebraska

That second tier I would classify 9 teams there. 

Penn State, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, UCLA, Florida State, Miami

Best of the Rest

Clemson, A&M, Washington, Michigan State, Arky, Wisconsin

Right now Nebraska and UCLA are in quarantine as far as the tier they belong too. I would be surprised if Nebraska does not figure it out at some point. Blue bloods always do regardless of hiatus. Bama had been a really bad program for about 10 years and some thought their glory days were in the rear view mirror.

1 minute ago, TexLonghorn said:

Here were the 11 teams that listed Texas as their rival:

No Iowa St.

Well, I'm glad someone got to the bottom of that.

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

Right now Nebraska and UCLA are in quarantine as far as the tier they belong too. I would be surprised if Nebraska does not figure it out at some point. Blue bloods always do regardless of hiatus. Bama had been a really bad program for about 10 years and some thought their glory days were in the rear view mirror.

Nebraska hasn't been above average in over 20 years.  This is who they are now.

UCLA lacks the give a shit to get off the mat.

11 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Here were the 11 teams that listed Texas as their rival:

No Iowa St.

So Oklahoma State fans are right there calling Texas a rival. It's that @'stache doesn't know a single one of them. I wonder if there were enough Rice responses to merit statistical relevance? If so, who the hell are they calling a rival ahead of Texas? Ricebirds don't consider UH as in the same galaxy, so I'd be surprised if it was UH.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nebraska has a rabid fanbase with money and very little regional competition. If Rhule gets things together, they'll recruit better than everyone around them. 

That considered, I expect a continued fade as well. That holds true for Bama, too. While they're in a recruiting rich area with a rapid fanbase, they face crushing competition from all sides and they're now one of the poorer NIL programs in that same region. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nebraska had 3 10 win seasons between 2009 and 2012 and we all thought Bo Pelini sucked as a coach. A half decent coach probably turns two of those seasons into 12 win seasons. We will know in two more years if Nebraska will start being better than average because I think they have the right coach.

Edited by DanTheHorn

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The issue with Nebraska is that their floor is much lower than of those other programs.   LSU, Georgia, and Florida should absolutely be ahead of Nebraska.

UCLA doesn't belong either.  Especially with their terrible fan support.

Clemson doesn't belong with the schools they're grouped in.  None of the others compete for natties.  MSU, Arky, and Wisconsin just have big followings and are usually solid.

I get it in a recent history context, but historical charts tend to not allow being a prisoner of the moment. UCLA is going to continue to fall like a brick unless they decide to get serious about football again and start investing. Their position is probably the most precarious out of all of the schools in those top groups. If you take away the Dabo run (which is now decidedly over), Clemson has never been anything special. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So Oklahoma State fans are right there calling Texas a rival. It's that @'stache doesn't know a single one of them. I wonder if there were enough Rice responses to merit statistical relevance? If so, who the hell are they calling a rival ahead of Texas? Ricebirds don't consider UH as in the same galaxy, so I'd be surprised if it was UH.

Nebraska has a rabid fanbase with money and very little regional competition. If Rhule gets things together, they'll recruit better than everyone around them. 

That considered, I expect a continued fade as well. That holds true for Bama, too. While they're in a recruiting rich area with a rapid fanbase, they face crushing competition from all sides and they're now one of the poorer NIL programs in that same region. 

I don't disagree, but they'll never be able to crack tOSU, Michigan, USC, and Penn State.  All of those programs have a lot more built in advantages.  Their ceiling right now seems like 5th place in the Big 10.  

Once Nebraska wasn't a Top 2 job in their league, they started a hard fade.

I agree with you on Bama.  Their renaissance was due to the best coach in the history of the sport being there.  I don't think DeBoer is that.

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I get it in a recent history context, but historical charts tend to not allow being a prisoner of the moment. UCLA is going to continue to fall like a brick unless they decide to get serious about football again and start investing. Their position is probably the most precarious out of all of the schools in those top groups. If you take away the Dabo run (which is now decidedly over), Clemson has never been anything special. 

I think what you're saying definitely applied to Michigan and Texas as recent examples.  Both of those schools have (much) more local talent to draw off than Nebraska.  Nebraska fans haven't been happy since 2001.  There reaches a point where history can't save you without some other major advantage.

I forgot to add how much partial qualifiers helped Nebraska, and that shit isn't coming back either.

I think Nebraska can get back to being an 8-9 win team on a regular basis, but the 90's are over for a lot of reasons.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I'm lost on what the hell we're talking about. I literally acknowledged your point. Here is part of what I said: "it’s not a “rivalry” even if some OSU fans say it is, because it’s not by traditional definitions."

Best I can figure its semantics. I consider a "rivalry" to have some objective and mutual basis. Fans objectively, and subjectively on both sides, recognize Bedlam as a rivalry (while acknowledging that OU-UT is a much bigger rivalry). Nobody would objectively say that OSU-Texas is a rivalry, nor would most Texas fans (Don Draper memes and whatnot). Whatever polls are being cited almost certainly inserted the term "rivalry" into a context that doesn't really fit. They are two separate questions. "We hate them and want to beat them really bad" does not equal "they're our rivals." It's just traditional "want to beat the big dog" mentality that exists in every sport.

I'm also confused as to what the anger is on this issue. At first, I thought the anger was that fans outside of OU and aggy call UT a rival when it's not, because UT doesn't care. Now it sounds like your mad that an OSU fan would say "it's not a rivalry" while admitting that it's a big game that we want to win more than any other game outside of bedlam? That last part is really confusing to me.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2