Tell me what's happening in Afganistan (no CR. Can't we all just get along?)

Parliament

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

We have thousands still stranded.  Does anyone have any insight on have heard of any plans to get them out?  

yes there has been a ton of info about the plans to evacuate folks and reports on the numbers being evacuated hourly. 

have you missed all of that?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yes there has been a ton of info about the plans to evacuate folks and reports on the numbers being evacuated hourly. 

have you missed all of that?

Specifically western NGOs not located in Kabul.  Not talking about total evac numbers.  What have you heard?

Just now, dcar00 said:

I'm sure we know.

There may be a few people left who have fallen off the radar, but I’m sure we know where the vast bulk are.  Anyone who has travelled to a shady/dangerous country has to keep the embassy aware of your general movements, assuming you are being above board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Specifically western NGOs not located in Kabul.  Not talking about total evac numbers.  What have you heard?

ahhh, gotcha. yes reports are there are roughly 2,300 folks outside of Kabul, the majority of which are us citizens but some german, french and japanese citizens as well. efforts are underway to secure their safe passage to kabul so they can be evacuated by plane.

will keep you posted!

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I guess it's possible that there's a lot of people who have leases that go beyond 08/31 and they're going to be on the hook for that plus what a hit they could take on their credit score. 

they aren't getting their deposit back either.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

ahhh, gotcha. yes reports are there are roughly 2,300 folks outside of Kabul, the majority of which are us citizens but some german, french and japanese citizens as well. efforts are underway to secure their safe passage to kabul so they can be evacuated by plane.

will keep you posted!

Please do. Was on a call with a friend this morning. He is French but handles security planning for a few US NGO's. He said they have people in Herat who have zero clue how they are getting out. These include US, Third Country and Afghan nationals who worked with NGO's. One question he had for me was will the US evacuate Afghans who worked with NGO's vs. the US Government (or prime contractors.) I could not answer that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

So, without hearing Biden’s reasoning, the Taliban demand for a 8/31 withdrawal and them preventing Afghani’s going to the airport is consistent with REALLY want us to leave with as many of our people as possible.  If the latter is true, they are trying to clear the roads so we can get our people out. 

Again: taking it at face value. 

Who's clearing what roads ?  Cause right now it seems like they (the Taliban) aren't clearing anything, and are in fact roadblocking, and checkpointing every route to Kabul, and its airport.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Please do. Was on a call with a friend this morning. He is French but handles security planning for a few US NGO's. He said they have people in Herat who have zero clue how they are getting out. These include US, Third Country and Afghan nationals who worked with NGO's. One question he had for me was will the US evacuate Afghans who worked with NGO's vs. the US Government (or prime contractors.) I could not answer that. 

Apologies that was a completely unserious post directed at a completely unserious poster. I know fuckall.

• Hook 'Em 3

I guess it's possible that there's a lot of people who have leases that go beyond 08/31 and they're going to be on the hook for that plus what a hit they could take on their credit score. 
That actually makes sense as opposed to just hanging around hoping for a miracle at the very end.

Do we have any numbers with regard to women and children rescued?

As soon as the decision to adhere to the Taliban's ultimatum of August 31 hit social media, the Taliban announced they would no longer allow anyone to reach the airport and will begin clearing civilians out of the southern section and make them leave. The people I follow who are stuck in the city are really starting to panic now.

I may need to step away, my anger and frustration are palpable, and it's not healthy. It's testing me. Years ago I began practicing the philosophy of Stoicism, which warns against judgments about impressions, and strongly opposes giving into passions.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

As soon as the decision to adhere to the Taliban's ultimatum of August 31 hit social media, the Taliban announced they would no longer allow anyone to reach the airport and will begin clearing civilians out of the southern section and make them leave. The people I follow who are stuck in the city are really starting to panic now.

I may need to step away, my anger and frustration are palpable, and it's not healthy. It's testing me. Years ago I began practicing the philosophy of Stoicism, which warns against judgments about impressions, and strongly opposes giving into passions.

I still practice it and am going through the same mental turmoil right now. Advise to my interpreters family in Helmand is lie low, get ready to go to Iran and apply for asylum in the EU. I will not get into what I think we should have done due to the nature of this board (and people have behaved) but yeah man, not sleeping well. Girlfriend understands why this consumes me, but might not realize to what degree. We are leaving people behind who protected us. 

One frustrating component I do not think is being conveyed is the amount of Afghans who worked with us and DO NOT live in Kabul. Or they worked for third party contractors (there was a lot of subcontracting, especially off the bases) who do not qualify for SIV unless they can get more than 1 person to vouch for them. 

Kudos to the troops and aircrew who pulling this off, kudos to the consular officers who flew in. Kudos to the communities taking in the refugees. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Hearing reports that they have embedded artillery into civilian zones to protect against any reprisals if/when they target the runways and airport.  

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

I still practice it and am going through the same mental turmoil right now. Advise to my interpreters family in Helmand is lie low, get ready to go to Iran and apply for asylum in the EU. I will not get into what I think we should have done due to the nature of this board (and people have behaved) but yeah man, not sleeping well. Girlfriend understands why this consumes me, but might not realize to what degree. We are leaving people behind who protected us. 

One frustrating component I do not think is being conveyed is the amount of Afghans who worked with us and DO NOT live in Kabul. Or they worked for third party contractors (there was a lot of subcontracting, especially off the bases) who do not qualify for SIV unless they can get more than 1 person to vouch for them. 

Kudos to the troops and aircrew who pulling this off, kudos to the consular officers who flew in. Kudos to the communities taking in the refugees. 

This is absolute horse shit that we are abandoning people who've risked their very lives supporting, and helping us.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

For those that have wondered, like me, why people were still there despite our announced plans to leave. They have defense contracts.  Old article but evidently some projects slated for completion in 2023.  

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This is absolute horse shit that we are abandoning people who've risked their very lives supporting, and helping us.

You need to be careful. It feels like you’re close to playing the blame game. Just trying to help out before the hall monitor gets here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

if anyone is interested, went back and found the thread devoted to the last time we tucked tail and abandoned our allies (that one done truly without any consult with our military leaders or allies).

virtually no outrage on that one (outside of @Brisketexan who once again remains frighteningly consistent). strange.

3 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

For those that have wondered, like me, why people were still there despite our announced plans to leave. They have defense contracts.  Old article but evidently some projects slated for completion in 2023.  

You need to be careful. It feels like you’re close to playing the blame game. Just trying to help out before the hall monitor gets here. 

The blame for this started when the deal was struck, and nothing was put in place for a pullout the wouldn't fuck the folks who helped us, and it's a circus continuing today. There's blame enough for lots of people. 

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

if anyone is interested, went back and found the thread devoted to the last time we tucked tail and abandoned our allies (that one done truly without any consult with our military leaders or allies).

virtually no outrage on that one (outside of @Brisketexan who once again remains frighteningly consistent). strange.

Was it the backstabbing of the Kurds ?  Because I was completely outraged, and embarrassed as an American at that particular bit of BS.

• Hook 'Em 3

Taliban appoints former Guantanamo detainee as acting defense minister, Al Jazeera says

CAIRO, Aug 24 (Reuters) - Afghanistan's Taliban has appointed former Guantanamo detainee mullah Abdul Qayyum Zakir as acting defense minister, Qatari based Al Jazeera news channel reported on Tuesday, citing a source in the Islamist movement.

https://www.reuters.com/world/taliban-appoints-former-guantanamo-detainee-acting-defense-minister-al-jazeera-2021-08-24/

Significant appointment there.

We turned Zakir over to the Afghan Government from Gitmo in late 2007, and he was released from prison in Afghanistan a whole 5 months later via direct intervention of the shitbag-extraordinaire, Hamid Karzai, who was acting on behalf of opium druglord/Helmand Governor Sher Mohammed Akhundzada, who helped throw the election to Karzai in 2009. 

Zakir is a hardliner amongst hardliners...opposed to any reconciliation within Afg and is one of the few Taliban with close ties with Iran.

https://jamestown.org/brief/irans-taliban-connection-mullah-abdul-qayyum-zakir/

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yup. thread died out after 3.5 pages. weird.

Unbelievably bad that we did that.  There is some difference here in that there are Americans that are going to get caught up in this as well. This does hit closer to home.  Not that it's any better or worse, but it's of course going to grab more interest.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Jennifer Griffin @ Fox News reporting that U.S. officials have said that the U.S. military "final" drawdown over the next 6-7 days is already beginning; there are less troops in Afghanistan today than there were yesterday. 

FlawedFoolhardyDoctorfish-size_restricte

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

Significant appointment there.

We turned Zakir over to the Afghan Government from Gitmo in late 2007, and he was released from prison in Afghanistan a whole 5 months later via direct intervention of the shitbag-extraordinaire, Hamid Karzai, who was acting on behalf of opium druglord/Helmand Governor Sher Mohammed Akhundzada, who helped throw the election to Karzai in 2009. 

Zakir is a hardliner amongst hardliners...opposed to any reconciliation within Afg and is one of the few Taliban with close ties with Iran.

https://jamestown.org/brief/irans-taliban-connection-mullah-abdul-qayyum-zakir/

This was something I was explaining early on. The Helmand talibs have good relations with Iran. Part trade, part logistics, part fuck up the US/UK. And you are right, this is a big deal. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Unbelievably bad that we did that.  There is some difference here in that there are Americans that are going to get caught up in this as well. This does hit closer to home.  Not that it's any better or worse, but it's of course going to grab more interest.

yeah that's probably it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just confirming my post from above:

... annnnddd this doesn't seem to be good, even if expected (no one with a brain knows that the logistics and numbers means that they would need more time to locate/evacuate all Amers.):

Edited by phdhorn
  • Rage+1 2

37 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Very shitty, but a bit different in two aspects. Still troops in Syria who can provide call in strikes and US Forces remain in Erbil Airport. This is Kurdistan. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Just confirming my post from above:

... annnnddd this doesn't seem to be good, even if expected (no one with a brain knows that the logistics and numbers means that they would need more time to locate/evacuate all Amers.):

This is truly incredible. 

So @InkaUtexas@MillerEP if you were one of these Americans stranded behind enemy lines how would you try to get out? 

Feels like a giant hostage situation incoming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the only thing that is the same is the total hypocrisy a dozen or so posters. both situations were/are incredibly shitty. but the ones most vociferous in their outrage right now were completely silent the last time around. like @Onboard 2.0, i just can't quite put my finger on why.  

These are American fucking citizens that more than likely having ISIS execution videos playing in their heads right now.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Muy Frio said:

This is truly incredible. 

So @InkaUtexas@MillerEP if you were one of these Americans stranded behind enemy lines how would you try to get out? 

Feels like a giant hostage situation incoming. 

I operated without a large support umbrella so we always had plans in place. It all depends on where you were working. If in the North, no brainer- Run to Tajikistan. NE try and go back roads into N Pakistan. SE, same. S, depends. Khandahar go to Pakistan. Helmand see the situation and go either Pakistan or Iran. Iran sucks for an American since you will be called a CIA spy, etc, but they won't kill you. Herat- Straight to Iran. But I would not try to get to Kabul. 

If in Kabul, I would try and get up around the E mountains of the city to the Bagram area (Parwan province) and see about getting into NA lands. None are good right now and current events always need to be thought of when evacuating. And I would be prepared to dress like this dude. 

image.png.d8aa6615ce96bdebbf9c55c00f8d6c65.png

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Who's clearing what roads ?  Cause right now it seems like they (the Taliban) aren't clearing anything, and are in fact roadblocking, and checkpointing every route to Kabul, and its airport.

well the roads are clear you just have to get around the blocks and through the checkpoints...duh.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I operated without a large support umbrella so we always had plans in place. It all depends on where you were working. If in the North, no brainer- Run to Tajikistan. NE try and go back roads into N Pakistan. SE, same. S, depends. Khandahar go to Pakistan. Helmand see the situation and go either Pakistan or Iran. Iran sucks for an American since you will be called a CIA spy, etc, but they won't kill you. Herat- Straight to Iran. But I would not try to get to Kabul. 

If in Kabul, I would try and get up around the E mountains of the city to the Bagram area (Parwan province) and see about getting into NA lands. None are good right now and current events always need to be thought of when evacuating. And I would be prepared to dress like this dude. 

image.png.d8aa6615ce96bdebbf9c55c00f8d6c65.png

How many are women?