Tell me what's happening in Afganistan (no CR. Can't we all just get along?)

Parliament

I hope this isn't viewed 

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

https://apnews.com/article/only-on-ap-kabul-7d9adb63dfed93b6d222a1e9ee902da5

US Army CAG (Delta Force) unsurprisingly performing rescue ops outside Kabul airport. I’m sure there are other units involved as well, possibly rescuing American citizens elsewhere in the country.

I hoped this isn't a CR topic when I say we need more men like this to become Americans.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

That is true, and those are the things that happen when you try to project a military presence thousands of miles from your home bases; not saying we shouldn't project that power. But our forces are far outnumbered at this point, and while air superiority can offset that, it takes a vast support system to sustain that airborne firepower.  
To be honest I'm kind of surprised that they (ISIS, Taliban, a disgruntled Afghani, etc) hasn't taken shots at the steady stream of flights in & out of the airport.

True it's hard, but we have the man power, and the equipment when we want to project it. This was just a very poorly thought thru planned, and again the statement that we had every contingency planned was utter horseshit.

I think they think we are trying to get out ASAP, and will let us leave if we don't hang past the 31st. If we said fuck you we're staying, I think shit would be hitting the fan already.  I would venture to say there's a back door channel going on that is keeping things relatively calm right now with assurances of our departure (total speculation of course).

EDIT:  So much for my thoughts on how this departure might go down, but it could be a rogue party involved ??

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Shit !!!!  Just saw the posts about explosions outside the airport. No one is surprised by this of course.  

I had held out some hope that if we were gonna pull out we might actually get out before the shit started hitting the fan, but knew in the back of my mind that was a stupid fantasy.

Is this gonna change any time line for departure ?  Or just make us look like we're now in full retreat from a firing line ?

The Taliban has already said they DO NOT want or will allow locals to leave.  Either tp punish them or create an indentured workforce to help rebuild, they are pissed.  Direct attacks on them is the next morbid and obvious choice to "dissuade" them from trying to leave and thin them out.  

• Like 1

It's probably getting to the point where evacs are going to dwindle and essentially stop (except for getting the troops out).  Obviously the danger level has ramped up significantly from the already high level it was.

FWIW, Canada's pulling out for good today after evac-ing about 3,700 troops (from Reuters):

Canadian forces halted their evacuations of around 3,700 Canadian and Afghan citizens on Thursday, saying they had stayed as long as they could before the deadline lapses. U.S. and allied troops also have to plan the logistics of their own withdrawal.

"We wish we could have stayed longer and rescued everyone," the acting chief of Canada's defence staff, General Wayne Eyre, told reporters.

Edited by phdhorn

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yes. you asked these questions:

do you think the taliban wants us to stay and fight or wants us to leave? is it in their best interest to poke the bear while it's in full retreat?

if not, what do you think the party that perpetrated the bombing was trying to accomplish?

seems to me like you can assume it was a 'rogue party' and that it was designed to provoke a military response.

let's see if we take the bait. 

I have little doubt in my mind that the Taliban is filled with flat out crazy people who look for any opportunity to do Allahs work of killing infidels or those who don't toe their line of radical Islam.  They see us leaving, and want to make it as messy as possible. 

I also don't doubt there are bad actors out there funded by Russia, and or other adversaries who would love to muck this up, and keep us tied up there in a military quagmire. Or just make us look worse than we already do.

And there could just be some wack job who may not be Taliban, but wants to cause chaos, and death cause they hate Americans, and the Afghanis who helped us.

If the Taliban were smart they'd keep a lid on everything, and let us leave quickly so they could then wreak the vengeance they're surely planning for that country.

I'd also say this was outside the airport, and directed at Afghani citizens as a terror move to get them away from the airport and a possible flight out of the country. The Taliban want to wreak vengeance on those who helped us.  I'm sure they've calculated that as long as they don't attack American military personnel we ain't gonna do shit, but keep on running away.

And like Alfred said, "some men just wanna see the world burn".

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I have little doubt in my mind that the Taliban is filled with flat out crazy people who look for any opportunity to do Allahs work of killing infidels or those who don't toe their line of radical Islam.  They see us leaving, and want to make it as messy as possible. 

I also don't doubt there are bad actors out there funded by Russia, and or other adversaries who would love to muck this up, and keep us tied up there in a military quagmire. Or just make us look worse than we already do.

And there could just be some wack job who may not be Taliban, but wants to cause chaos, and death cause they hate Americans, and the Afghanis who helped us.

If the Taliban were smart they'd keep a lid on everything, and let us leave quickly so they could then wreak the vengeance they're surely planning for that country.

AQ never left.  As stated on other threads, their relationship deepened and was strengthened.  Now reports of ISIS are popping back up like prairie dogs in the spring.  The Taliban don't "hold" the country as it's not really a country, but just tribal lands and they are the biggest tribe.  It's fuck-all-game-on hunt for all Westerners ala the god damn "Purge" except it's not just one night.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

information is going to be messy.  Be careful what you consume on this over the next 12 hours or so.  this sucks.  fuck

Going to be hard to tell what is real or not. That said here’s a link of short video From an Afghan news agency. NSFW. 

Spoiler

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd also say this was outside the airport, and directed at Afghani citizens as a terror move to get them away from the airport and a possible flight out of the country. The Taliban want to wreak vengeance on those who helped us.  I'm sure they've calculated that as long as they don't attack American military personnel we ain't gonna do shit, but keep on running away.

While this is obviously a chaotic mess in the moment, there are forces OTHER than the Taliban who were in the "present an imminent threat of attack" discussion leading up to this.

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

it seems like we had very specific intel that this was going to happen. which seems to mean that we knew who was going to perpetrate it.  

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Yup, American intel called this yesterday. 

And the intel pointed to ISIS, which is a Taliban adversary, not a Taliban partner.  The power/combatant situation in Afghanistan is quite chaotic right now.  Taliban as the nominal dominant force (certainly in Kabul, at least), but ISIS-affiliated forces acting up in several places, former ANA and Northern Alliance-types doing their thing to the north, and elements of AQ who are at varying degrees of friendliness with the Taliban (with the Taliban attempting to be careful about being too chummy with them so as to avoid provoking a US response), and shit, probably a bunch of others affiliated with local warlords/tribal leaders trying to make power plays in the vacuum.

Intel thought that ISIS was going to try some shit.  Some shit has been tried.  We'll see who it was, but it seems that the Vegas odds are on ISIS at the moment.  How that's handled -- and whether the Taliban is a help or a hindrance -- remains to be seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Fucking horrible. 

Yep.

C'est la guerre.

There have been images like that from inside Kabul numerous times over the past year -- ISIS-affiliates have been engaged in an ongoing pattern of attacks for sometime.  We didn't see or hear about them because we weren't nearby in recent months.  This shit has been happening, is happening now, and will continue to happen.  And nothing we do will stop it.  

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

While this is obviously a chaotic mess in the moment, there are forces OTHER than the Taliban who were in the "present an imminent threat of attack" discussion leading up to this.

And the intel pointed to ISIS, which is a Taliban adversary, not a Taliban partner.  The power/combatant situation in Afghanistan is quite chaotic right now.  Taliban as the nominal dominant force (certainly in Kabul, at least), but ISIS-affiliated forces acting up in several places, former ANA and Northern Alliance-types doing their thing to the north, and elements of AQ who are at varying degrees of friendliness with the Taliban (with the Taliban attempting to be careful about being too chummy with them so as to avoid provoking a US response), and shit, probably a bunch of others affiliated with local warlords/tribal leaders trying to make power plays in the vacuum.

Intel thought that ISIS was going to try some shit.  Some shit has been tried.  We'll see who it was, but it seems that the Vegas odds are on ISIS at the moment.  How that's handled -- and whether the Taliban is a help or a hindrance -- remains to be seen.

So how far out do we start funding one or both of these groups to keep them occupied in Afghanistan, and away from our shores ?

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

This was ISIS-K, not the Taliban. The two are not friendly. 

Afghanistan is and always will be a clusterfuck. 

local reports out of afghanistan saying they have claimed responsibility for the attacks.*

*according to sputniknews, my preferred choice for news.

40 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

a few mortars on the runway and its basically only helo's from here on out.

Are you saying this has already happened?  Or if it does, then it's only helo's. And where would they  fly to?  Seems like it'd be a long distance to anywhere friendly.