School Shooting at Austin High Averted?

atomheartbevo

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/armed-man-detained-near-austin-high-school-police-say/

A man faces a felony charge after Austin ISD police found him behind the Austin High School campus with two guns Thursday, according to the arrest affidavit. 

AISD police say a caller saw Kaleb Stevens, 19, outside the school behind the school. Police found Stevens near where the school band was practicing. 

Police said Stevens told them he was looking for his keys. Officers found a bag on top of a car Stevens was seen going in and out of. A pistol was sticking out of the bag. 

Officers also found a pistol inside Stevens’ pants while frisking him. Both weapons were loaded.

@Your Mom mentioned this in the covid thread:

He appears to be a former student, class of 2020.  Former WR on the football field if HUDL is correct.  (also needed to work on his bench if HUDL is correct).

Austin High covers our neighborhood and a bunch of the parents were talking about it.  Freaky to say the fucking least.

I have a freshman at AHS and getting the email from the school was absolutely a kick in the nuts. I commend the staff member that spotted this kid acting erratically and also APD for coming quickly and taking the necessary steps to ensure the suspect was swiftly arrested.

The kids didn't even know what had happened until parents started texting them so great job by the school/police to handle this situation and not scaring/disrupting the kids at school.

It is just frustrating that on top of all the shit with Covid and just general high school life that this is now something kids/parents have to worry about. (obviously there have been other school shootings elsewhere but it you never fully believe it will/could happen at your school)

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 7:49 AM, BrazilHorn said:

I have a freshman at AHS and getting the email from the school was absolutely a kick in the nuts. I commend the staff member that spotted this kid acting erratically and also APD for coming quickly and taking the necessary steps to ensure the suspect was swiftly arrested.

The kids didn't even know what had happened until parents started texting them so great job by the school/police to handle this situation and not scaring/disrupting the kids at school.

It is just frustrating that on top of all the shit with Covid and just general high school life that this is now something kids/parents have to worry about. (obviously there have been other school shootings elsewhere but it you never fully believe it will/could happen at your school)

Yes, my sophomore had no idea anything had happened.

Other than the KXAN report, the scant info we've gotten has been through parent circles (and I'm sure much of that isn't all that accurate). I'm surprised and disappointed that there isn't more reporting on this.  

2 hours ago, Cap33 said:

Yes, my sophomore had no idea anything had happened.

Other than the KXAN report, the scant info we've gotten has been through parent circles (and I'm sure much of that isn't all that accurate). I'm surprised and disappointed that there isn't more reporting on this.  

People on the Austin reddit are claiming he was going to commit suicide on the pedestrian bridge.  Lots of what appears to be inside knowledge of what happened.

Just…wow. My kid goes to AHS, has high anxiety and depression(has a 504), and I don’t give a shit how nice people think the kid who did this is. Don’t bring loaded guns to a fucking high school(or middle school, or elementary, or movie…etc) and expect anyone to listen to how nice you are.

I’m friends with his mother and the media is telling a blatant lie . He never threatened anyone or tried to kill anyone he was on the bridge about to commit suicide . He has a mental illness and is seeking help currently

This wasn’t an attempted mass shooting, this was a suicide attempt, i personally know the guy and the media is portraying him to be a monster, my friend was in desperate need for help, he had parked his car at the high school and walked to the pedestrian bridge where he would’ve shot himself or jumped off if his girlfriend hadn’t talked him out of it, he walked back to his car and was struggling to find his keys, as he was trying to find his keys with the help of another lady near the athletic department police arrived and found his two firearms which later got him in trouble. My friends intentions aren’t the ones being displayed in the media i know him well and he isn’t a violent person at all, he was just not thinking straight.

This person claims to be his mom:

He’s is suicidal. I don’t want to talk about his personal mental issues. The goal was pictures and a video. Then suicide. Thank God no one was hurt. He is the only person he was planning on shooting. If you google his name, you will see he was a photographer at Austin high. The pedestrian bridge was one of his favorite places to take photos. Pick me apart if you want to. This is my son and I will protect him at all costs. As I’m sure your parents would do for you.

I saw some of that on Reddit yesterday. It doesn’t make me feel better, it makes me think the situation was even more dangerous than I first assumed. Doesn’t take two guns to commit suicide.  Of course he’s going to tell everybody that he had no plans to do anything other than that. It’s a little harder to believe when he had two guns and was reportedly trying to get in a back door.  Obviously the school can’t comment on the kids mental health issues or suicide plans now that his name is out there, but I hope they have some discussions in Advisory about suicide in general  and reminding the kids to notice red flags and speak up.  All us parents should be doing that at home too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree re: not needing two guns to kill yourself. That sounds more like a "suicide by cop" deal where he was planning to take out some people and then go down at the hands of police.

Not only that there are PLENTY of fucking places in Austin to kill yourself that don't involve having firearms around a school full of kids.

43 minutes ago, futureman said:

shooting yourself on the town lake pedestrian bridge. what a fucking drama queen. go into the greenbelt and do it where it won’t be a traumatic spectacle to a bunch of people. 

Imagine how loud that would be - off the water and concrete. 

58 minutes ago, futureman said:

shooting yourself on the town lake pedestrian bridge. what a fucking drama queen. go into the greenbelt and do it where it won’t be a traumatic spectacle to a bunch of people. 

Wrecked scooters everywhere.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

He could have ruined someone's bachelorette party or an annoying Chicago transplant couple's SUP date. Needs to be more considerate in the future. 

I actually might be indifferent if he shot up one of those bachorette parties riding those pedal bars around downtown during afternoon rush hour. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 4:14 PM, Deej said:

Bonus points if they aim first for the really fat one not pedaling. 

Some of us are trying to get home. 

Good stuff, they don’t realize how much work it actually is. Just motorize those damn things already

Edited by Revolution512