South Carolina Attorney shot in head months after wife and son shot dead

Nicole44

Just now, Augustus said:

But I was responding to the notion that killing Paul and Maggie was part of a murder/suicide and he couldn't bring himself to finish the suicide.

Well, just some wild speculation on my part.  But, everything about this case is wild.  God damn that is a backwards ass area of the country.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, cabowabo said:

Well, just some wild speculation on my part.  But, everything about this case is wild.  God damn that is a backwards ass area of the country.

Indeed.

The video on Paul's phone is some murder mystery twist-ending stuff.

How on earth has Chappelle not gotten hold of this fiasco?

Re-direct!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Alex has said over and over in interviews and on the stand that Maggie lived a life of privilege bc she didn’t work but she was a great housewife but won’t concede he led a privileged life. So bizarre. My wife led a privileged life but I can’t say I was successful or made a lot of money compared to 99% of the county. 

The Onstar data btw only came into the case last week (that’s how long it took to get it from Onstar.) they were only able to crack Paul’s phone a few weeks ago. So Alex had no clue what either of those things would show and only changed his story once the State went with the kennel video and the Onstar data to close their case in chief last Friday. The Onstar shit was a dagger. A main reason he went to his mom’s for a 21 minute alibi instead of seeing his dad at the hospital instead. Bc he’d be on camera at the hospital and time stamped. He always wanted to say he’d been gone for over an hour and a half and hadn’t seen M&P for 45 minutes before that. He was only gone from the kennels for 53 minutes not an hour and a half and had seen them now within minutes of their phones locking forever. Very tight timeline. Very tight. A killer would have to be lurking. Waiting for him to leave and sneak up on them with family weapons…ok…

For a normal man:

His wife allegedly about to leave him and is pressuring him to settle the boat crash case.

His son is facing felonies from the boat crash and Alex is about to go in front of a court in 3 days to reveal his financials which will reveal his thefts.

He’s stolen and lied from clients for years and his law firm has found out. Nearly a decade. And the firm is putting the heat on him.

He’s popping opioids like a mad man.

His dad is on his deathbed (died within days of his wife and son)

His mom has dementia.

Tons of articles are being written about the family re the crash, the housekeepers death and Stephen Smith’s death. Tons of articles talking about the family.

we are supposed to believe a normal person didn’t snap. And he’s far from fucking normal. 

• Like 1

Other thing to point out. Alex expressly said on the stand today that the boat crash is the reason M&P were killed. That civil suit by Mallory Beach’s family was huge. Mark Tinsley (we call him Zero Dark Tinsley) the Plaintiff’s attorney in that case refused to back down. Alex offered them a $500,000 policy he had on the boat. Nope. He then says he’s going broke and can maybe cobble together one million but Tinsley doesn’t believe him (he testified for the State in this murder trial a few weeks ago and expressly said “I knew he wasn’t broke and it was my job to press to get his financial documents. I wanted them because Alex didn’t want me to have them”) and gets a court date set for June 10th, 2021 to get a ruling on motion to compel Alex to turn over his documents. Tinsley said it wouldn’t take a five year old a minute or two looking at those documents to see Alex had been stealing money for a long time. They never make it to court btw because Maggie and Paul are shot and killed. 

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Other thing to point out. Alex expressly said on the stand today that the boat crash is the reason M&P were killed. That civil suit by Mallory Beach’s family was huge. Mark Tinsley (we call him Zero Dark Tinsley) the Plaintiff’s attorney in that case refused to back down. Alex offered them a $500,000 policy he had on the boat. Nope. He then says he’s going broke and can maybe cobble together one million but Tinsley doesn’t believe him (he testified for the State in this murder trial a few weeks ago and expressly said “I knew he wasn’t broke and it was my job to press to get his financial documents. I wanted them because Alex didn’t want me to have them”) and gets a court date set for June 10th, 2021 to get a ruling on motion to compel Alex to turn over his documents. Tinsley said it wouldn’t take a five year old a minute or two looking at those documents to see Alex had been stealing money for a long time. They never make it to court btw because Maggie and Paul are shot and killed. 

And I'm guessing as soon as that lawyer got a look at the financials he'd have told the family in a heartbeat "take the 500K from the boat policy" because that'd be the only chance of his collecting any fee at all.  

And why does the civil suit go away just because Paul is dead?  Wasn't Paul a minor when the accident happened, or am I misremembering?

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

And I'm guessing as soon as that lawyer got a look at the financials he'd have told the family in a heartbeat "take the 500K from the boat policy" because that'd be the only chance of his collecting any fee at all.  

And why does the civil suit go away just because Paul is dead?  Wasn't Paul a minor when the accident happened, or am I misremembering?

The suit continued but the order to compel financials didn’t. The Beach family decided to settle. They will receive the proceeds from one of the houses along with other Murdaugh financial victims. Buster I think gets $500,000. Tinsley testifies at trial that there was no way they could get some huge judgment against Alex as a man who’d just lost his father and his son and wife were murdered bc they’d look like Attila the Hun coming after him. They wanted the documents prior to Maggie and Paul’s murder because they believed it would pressure Alex into a better settlement. That’s what Tinsley wanted bc both Tinsley and Alex’s attorney representing him (later died) had stage four cancer and they both wanted this case off their workload. Alex was the one offering meager settlements and Tinsley who had know Alex his whole life and knew Alex was rich didn’t know he was stealing but thogg if he he was trying to lowball the beach family and he wanted to out pressure on Alex to settle for lots more than one million bc he believed Alex had that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The motive seems complex but not to me I guess. And I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. Alex just didn’t want anyone to see his financial documents. He thought he could handle what was going on with the firm and hood them off. Mark Tinsley was the main reason he couldn’t settle for $500,000 or $1,000,000. If Tinsley and the Beach family had accepted that prior to June 7th…maybe Paul and Maggie don’t get murdered. Just my two cents. But Tinsley was on a one man mission to see his financials and the court date was set and it is like 99% likely the motion would have been granted by a Judge for Tinsely to get those records and look at them and to get a better settlement. In his mind. He testified that he now knows why Alex didn’t want to give him the financials and was lowballing him. He didn’t know why he thought Alex was being cheap. 

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Prosecutor blew it

He really did.  Big time.

There was an abundance of circumstantial evidence that, in the hands of a competent prosecutor, would have left no reasonable doubt whatsoever in the minds of jurors.

This guy left the door wide open for a hung jury.

I start to wonder if the prosecution particularly Waters felt bc of the screw ups with securing the crime scene and bc they never went to search around his mom’s house that night (most likely place to hide the guns etc) and reluctance of many of Le to investigate their friend that he needed to make sure they at least nailed him for a while on the financial crimes (separate stuff he pled NG to already but that trial hasn’t taken place yet.) it was just an odd cross but you can never really know what a jury will do or how they see him. But it’s the most jail time deservedly that anyone in that family has done or will ever do. He just go to a federal white crime prison and be better off than a low country prison. I still think that the case can be won at closing. No idea what a jury will decide but watching him be stuck with all that now is enough. 

The Onstar data btw only came into the case last week (that’s how long it took to get it from Onstar.) they were only able to crack Paul’s phone a few weeks ago. So Alex had no clue what either of those things would show and only changed his story once the State went with the kennel video and the Onstar data to close their case in chief last Friday. The Onstar shit was a dagger. A main reason he went to his mom’s for a 21 minute alibi instead of seeing his dad at the hospital instead. Bc he’d be on camera at the hospital and time stamped. He always wanted to say he’d been gone for over an hour and a half and hadn’t seen M&P for 45 minutes before that. He was only gone from the kennels for 53 minutes not an hour and a half and had seen them now within minutes of their phones locking forever. Very tight timeline. Very tight. A killer would have to be lurking. Waiting for him to leave and sneak up on them with family weapons…ok…

Wait. The Onstar data was not know about by the defense until after the trial started?

Regarding the video on Paul’s phone, is it the same one referenced in the Netflix series, or a different one? The Netflix doc mentioned a video on Paul’s phone that had Alex’s voice on it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seems that part of the prosecution’s story is going to be that Paul found some pills, went down to the kennels with them, Alex came down and shot them, then took the pills out of Paul’s pocket (which would explain why Alex felt the need to try rolling him over and why he had to keep mentioning that the phone fell out of Paul’s pocket). Those two things have been bugging me this whole time, and that would explain both of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How the fuck was Alex able to represent Satterfield in a claim against himself?  How did the insurance company allow that to happen?  I think I remember hearing that they had another “straw” attorney who was actually the Satterfield “attorney” in on this but can’t remember for sure.  That is all all kinds of fucked up, but par for the course in this case apparently.  I will give Alex some props for killing his son before that little bastard had a chance to procreate.  Now we just need someone to take out the 3rd redhead freak in Buster before he is able to continue the legacy. 

8 hours ago, scottsins said:

Wait. The Onstar data was not know about by the defense until after the trial started?

Regarding the video on Paul’s phone, is it the same one referenced in the Netflix series, or a different one? The Netflix doc mentioned a video on Paul’s phone that had Alex’s voice on it.

It took several months for Onstar to get the information to the State. Literally came to them in the middle of the trial. Defense was made aware the State was after that information and was trying to get it. 

So Paul uploaded a picture of his dad wearing different clothes than what he was found in to Snapchat an hour or so before Paul and Maggie were murdered. It shows his dad from an hour before outdoors and messing with a tree. Then Paul had sent a video or was trying to of this particular dog at the kennels his friend Rogan wanted and that video is of the dog but you can hear his mom, Paul and Alex in the video. That was information that took the State many months to get bc it took that long to get into Paul’s cell phone. That video which has the voices in it was taken minutes before the State believes Paul and Maggie were murdered. Both their phones lock forever and are not used minutes later even though Paul had been actively using his especially all evening before that. Rogan his friend that wanted the dog repeatedly tries to contact Maggie and Paul and finally Alex winds up calling Rogan because Rogan was blowing up Maggie and Paul’s phone (imo so that Alex could control when Paul and Maggie’s bodies were found and remove evidence from the crime and create his alibi visiting his mama)

His sister had passed him a John Grisham book at trial when she and his family were sitting a row back from the defense. Afterwards, Judge Newman gave a warning and moved Alex’s family back a few rows. The contraband (book) resulted in Alex being drug tested but I don’t know if he tested positive. That would be yet another lie if true. He was so proud to say on the stand the other day he’d been sober (basically since he’d been incarcerated) for over a year…he really is a massive piece of shit and I hope everyone watches the new Netflix documentary. 

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Bro there’s a Netflix documentary on the boating accident.  Crooked family.  Paul was a pos

Every single one of them is a POS. To varying degrees. But Alex doesn’t deserve to get off for murdering Paul and Maggie even if Paul was a demon seed and Maggie wasn’t exactly Sally Brown with the cookies and lemonade. It will be a tragedy if he is found NG. And then if he later works a deal for the financial shit in a white collar nice prison…I hope he never gets out but this family never seems to be held to task. The boat crash changed everything for that family. Finally SLED wasn’t giving them shoulder rubs and kissing their asses. The murder though is the first time anyone from that shitass clan of turds has ever truly faced humiliation or been in jail. I was shocked he was denied bail honestly. Or that the bail was basically outside his ability to pay. When Alex was finally arrested he was supposed to have been in the care/custody of his attorneys but he was with Buster at his mom’s house, Almeda. Many people who know the inner details of the case have said they thought Alex was getting ready to flee/leave the country. He never should be allowed to leave jail unless it is in a pine box. He’s a very very dangerous person and he would think nothing of trying to harm someone or even have them killed from behind bars. He’s that dangerous imo and his problem so living skills when shit doesn’t go his way really suck.

Here is a very recent article/cliffnotes version for people who just want the basics:

“Still, to those in the Lowcountry, the boat crash was seen "as a test of the system", said Mandy Mattney, a reporter based in South Carolina who has led coverage of the Murdaughs since 2019. "Everyone in Hampton really believed that Paul wouldn't be charged."

Months later, however, Paul was charged with three crimes, including boating under the influence resulting in death. He pleaded not guilty to the charges but died before he faced trial.

Looking back now, it may have been the moment Alex Murdaugh's life began to unravel.

The family of Mallory Beach hired a lawyer named Mark Tinsley to represent them in a wrongful death suit against Mr Murdaugh that could have resulted in millions in damages.

Mr Murdaugh claimed he was broke. "I didn't believe it," Mr Tinsley said during the trial this month.

So Mr Tinsley filed a motion to compel Mr Murdaugh to disclose his finances. A hearing on the matter was scheduled for 10 June, 2021. The disclosure would reveal his years of corporate fraud.

"The fuse was lit," Mr Tinsley said.

On 7 June 2021, three days before the hearing on his finances was scheduled, Alex Murdaugh called 911. His wife Maggie and son Paul had been shot, he said.

By the time the first sheriff's deputy arrived at Moselle, Mr Murdaugh told him his theory: Paul and Maggie had been killed in retaliation for the boat accident.

"He's getting threats," Mr Murdaugh said of his son. "I know that's what it is."

https://www.yahoo.com/now/alex-murdaugh-trial-power-privilege-020925475.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Bro there’s a Netflix documentary on the boating accident.  Crooked family.  Paul was a pos

Watched it last night. I've been following the story from early on, but the wow-moment for me was how shady the whole fucking family was/is. Maggie was all in on protecting her son and her lifestyle.  Alex's dad and brothers are just as horrible and complicit in covering up Alex's and his sons' bullshit, yet the brothers gave an interview to ABC News early on pretending to be shocked and horrified by all of the dirty laundry coming to light. I think the whole law firm is dirty, and the only reason they cut Alex loose was to shield the rest of their shit from being exposed.

And man, I feel so sorry for the kids who survived that boat crash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I need a legal mind to help me out here.

If Alex Murdaugh was being forced to turn over all his finances/financial info in the wrongful death suit against his son Paul, then would that not be because Alex Murdaugh is somehow liable, under the law, for the wrongful death?

And if that's the case, how does Paul's death prevent the case itself and the disclosure of Alex's financial info from moving forward?

• Hook 'Em 1

The defense did a great job of letting the jurors know he’s been charged (not convicted an important distinction I don’t know if they’ll get) with all these financial crimes. Like hey, if you don’t find this shady shitstain of a client guilt for double murder it’s ok because he’ll be in jail. They’ve skirted on this (wholly inappropriate and possible grounds for a mistrial) all trial. Prosecution doesn’t want to retry this so they have allowed a lot of tactics just go without pushing for and getting a mistrial. It just sucks. 

I've reviewed the cross of Alex again, and I'm just astounded at Waters' strategy.

He spent such an enormous amount of time hammering home that Alex is a thief, embezzler and liar--which backfired in my opinion because Alex did a masterful job enthusiastically admitting/owning his wrongdoing in all of that, he ultimately came off like a man who was repentant and accountable and Waters began to look like he was badgering a dude who was eagerly confessing his sins--and so little time, relatively, going after the sequence of events that night and how the circumstantial evidence appears to contradict Alex's *multiple* versions of what happened.

I know it's important to establish that nothing the man says is reliable in any way, but he went overboard attacking Alex's credibility and failed to box Alex into a corner regarding the murders and his contradictory statements/testimony.

Maybe Waters will knock it out of the park during closing arguments but at this moment I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a juror or two feels they have a reasonable doubt.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

I need a legal mind to help me out here.

If Alex Murdaugh was being forced to turn over all his finances/financial info in the wrongful death suit against his son Paul, then would that not be because Alex Murdaugh is somehow liable, under the law, for the wrongful death?

And if that's the case, how does Paul's death prevent the case itself and the disclosure of Alex's financial info from moving forward?

Alex was is the deep pockets here. It was his boat and his policy on the boat. He was the one tagged in the suit. The Plaintiff’s attorney wanted much more than Alex was offering bc he thought Alex could afford it l. He just wanted to pressure Alex into settling for more. That’s why they were going in front of a Judge three days after the murders (court date was set before the killings.) so that Alex would be forced to show the plaintiffs his financials and it would be known to everyone then he was stealing for years. Once the killings happened they stopped pushing for the financials out of respect for what happened. He’d have been in a world of hurt and the firm knowing about it (which they were starting to get hip to) was nothing compared to a Judge and another attorney learning this guy was stealing. No one said it was a great plan or a perfect plan but his murder out the civil suit on the back burner and bought Alex some time to get money to pay back the firm. He’d have had no such leeway with Tinsley and the Beach family if they’d gotten to see his financials. He has shitty problem solving skills and everything was coming to a head in a perfect storm. He thought he could buy some time. Paul won’t be criminally prosecuted and it pressured the other side to settle without getting his financials which would have revealed a decade of theft to the Judge in the case as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I've reviewed the cross of Alex again, and I'm just astounded at Waters' strategy.

He spent such an enormous amount of time hammering home that Alex is a thief, embezzler and liar--which backfired in my opinion because Alex did a masterful job enthusiastically admitting/owning his wrongdoing in all of that, he ultimately came off like a man who was repentant and accountable and Waters began to look like he was badgering a dude who was eagerly confessing his sins--and so little time, relatively, going after the sequence of events that night and how the circumstantial evidence appears to contradict Alex's *multiple* versions of what happened.

I know it's important to establish that nothing the man says is reliable in any way, but he went overboard attacking Alex's credibility and failed to box Alex into a corner regarding the murders and his contradictory statements/testimony.

Maybe Waters will knock it out of the park during closing arguments but at this moment I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a juror or two feels they have a reasonable doubt.

He wanted every crime and every victim on the record. Will that backfire with a jury? I don’t know but he preserved the record. Each victim of Alex. Their name read out loud and him admitting to stealing from each one. Alex claimed he wanted to meet with the State and deal with the financial shit before his murder trial and they said NO! It’s their motive whether people can wrap their minds around it or not and they were going to absolutely throttle him over and over with their motive for the murders. I’m glad they did it they way they did. He was hammered over and over for it. He always intended to flip the script about his alibi or ali-LIE and suck the air out of that. So I’m glad he looks like a giant lying crook. I think it’s easy to believe such a POS would kill his family. He’s scum. It makes it even easier for me to believe that his opioid abuse was a big factor in all of it and someone who was that bad off could easily snap. Either he planned it or he snapped bc his mind wasn’t working properly but I can totally believe he did it. I don’t think we will ever understand why but I also don’t think most of us could ever really jump into his mind. I wouldn’t want to but he’d do or say anything to keep from being held accountable. He still is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Thanks for the summary notes, big help for people like me that only give this a onceover during the news read of the week. The potential crimes related to the employee death/insurance policy really chaps me; the family is stupid crazy entitled but ruining others in their orbit the way he did. Stone cold.

One of the worst cases was the quadriplegic who he stole from (guy later died in a nursing home after his machine was accidentally unplugged—waiting for his settlement money which would have gotten him in a better place…) obviously I’m starting to think Alex killed the housekeeper. Screwed her family too. But I thought it was very telling that he and Maggie had been close to Gloria for 20 years. She was more than a housekeeper she basically raised Paul and was very close to the family. She falls and is in a coma for two weeks and Maggie visited her ONE time. Alex didn’t visit her at all. It’s odd that the Mallory Beach crash happened on the almost one year anniversary of Gloria’s death. These people are horrible people. The people Alex stole from weren’t just his friends they were also the weakest among us and he used the money that would have just help them get by as his personal piggy bank. Sickening. It’s evil. If you could do that you could easily murder someone who got in your way. I think Maggie just wanted Alex to settle the damn boat stuff not realizing he couldn’t. She’d never let up on it and I don’t think she’d ever believe if it was just Paul that was killed that night that Alex didn’t do it. Jmo.

Sorry for all my verbal shit on this case. Re: as it pertains to Maggie and Paul. Neither one of them was a good person. Far from it. But Paul deserved to live so he would face trial on the three felony counts on Mallory’s death. Maggie and Paul both deserved to live to see Alex getting charged with financial crimes and go to jail and have to sell off everything they held dear and tried to protect just to stay afloat and pay off Alex’s victims. Maggie and Paul both deserve to be alive to face a life of reckoning. Alex doesn’t not deserve anything less than life in prison. Hopefully, the jury is smart and can put it together and hopefully, the State’s closing will be masterful and put it all together for them to reach no other conclusion than Alex is guilty. They’ve given him so little wiggle room in that murder timeline it’s near impossible for someone else (unless they were helping Alex) to have done it.

Question: if a 6’5” ( I think that’s Alex’s height) we’re sitting down in a golf cart how tall would he be from the ground to his head? Would he be 5’2”? Or much taller than that? Could he have shot them both from the cart? Just a random thought.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Yikes.  Reading this makes me think he’s gonna get off? Hope not 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

The defense did a great job of letting the jurors know he’s been charged (not convicted an important distinction I don’t know if they’ll get) with all these financial crimes. Like hey, if you don’t find this shady shitstain of a client guilt for double murder it’s ok because he’ll be in jail. They’ve skirted on this (wholly inappropriate and possible grounds for a mistrial) all trial. Prosecution doesn’t want to retry this so they have allowed a lot of tactics just go without pushing for and getting a mistrial. It just sucks. 

I always thought Maggie and Paul’s case was weak. I guess Alex was sober for 20 minutes and did a pretty decent job of covering his tracks. 

Again, slam it home on the financial crimes. A half assed jury probably gives him 15 years. After the full Oz experience for a couple years, Alex would be begging to cut a deal. 

Instead, he’ll probably get a mistrial and then house arrest at his brother’s mansion while the state plots their next shitty move. 

• Hook 'Em 1