The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 11/22/2021 at 6:01 AM, 52-80 said:

Ming blasted another email to existing customers for yet another new model, with a brand new case design.  The existing case size and its 'signature' curved lugs is what draws me to the existing Ming...new one also seems tobe 38mm

Here's the product page for the new Ming - moonphase, and the new case size/shape is the 37-series.

https://ming.watch/products/ming-37-05-moonphase?

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

He like the look of a chrono apparently and also wants a steel bracelet versus a leather/alligator strap.  

I think all of the watches I posted have a bracelet option. If he interested in a GO, I have a contact that may be able to provide a discount if he's looking to by from an AD. @brown water also has a contact at another AD.

8 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I think all of the watches I posted have a bracelet option. If he interested in a GO, I have a contact that may be able to provide a discount if he's looking to by from an AD. @brown water also has a contact at another AD.

I dig the GO Senator.  Is it easy to switch out the bracelet and strap?  Like a Panerai where you need the little screwdriver?

I don't have a Senator so not sure. I would say order it on the bracelet and give the dealer the sizing and have them size it appropriately. My GO has a micro-adjust clasp, so if they get it close, it should be fine. I don't know if I would suggest a watch newbie changing out a strap for a bracelet on a 15k watch. The likelihood of scratching it is pretty high unless they know what they are doing and have good tools. It is a gorgeous watch. The new blue 70s is what I would go with. But as demonstrated in this thread, I'm a bit of a square/cushion-style case fan. I also really love the look of the black subdials against the blue dial on  the GP.

Edited by HoustonHorn

16 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

A buddy of mine wants to buy his first nice watch.  He has 10-13K to spend and said a chronometer would be cool.  Thoughts?  He also said he wanted something dressy.

My immediate thoughts went to a Glashutte Original or an IWC.  The quality, and strong design of those 2 brands would be more of a touchstone than the dollar benchmark.

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

My immediate thoughts went to a Glashutte Original or an IWC.  The quality, and strong design of those 2 brands would be more of a touchstone than the dollar benchmark.

Agreed, the IWC is a really good choice as well and would be a less expensive option. My biggest gripe with the GP is that its a clear derivative of AP RO/PP Nautilus look. Nothing wrong with that - lots of watches are, and they may have even come out with the Laureato before the Nautilus. I actually like the looks better than either of those watches. But there is some of that baggage there that GO isn't saddled with (at least with respect to this category - they do catch flak for their asymmetric watches looking similar to ALS.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Agreed, the IWC is a really good choice as well and would be a less expensive option. My biggest gripe with the GP is that its a clear derivative of AP RO/PP Nautilus look. Nothing wrong with that - lots of watches are, and they may have even come out with the Laureato before the Nautilus. I actually like the looks better than either of those watches. But there is some of that baggage there that GO isn't saddled with (at least with respect to this category - they do catch flak for their asymmetric watches looking similar to ALS.

Yeah GP has just never stood out to me as an iconic individual designed watch. IWC and GO (I totally dig the fantastic asymmetry they pull off) both have a look that is unique in my opinion, and their quality is well worth the cost.

I was gonna pull the trigger on a GO earlier this summer, but a bad transmission took that purchase away for a while.

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

He said he likes the look of the GO Senator the best.

Someone here has posted wrist shots of their Senator. He won't be disappointed with GO, easily my favorite brand. I could easily see adding the Senator to the collection in the future. Along with many of their other watches. One other watch for him to consider, if he wants dressier but with a little bit of funky vibe, go for the GO Sixties Glacier Blue Chrono. More dressy, less sporty, and only comes on a leather strap. But that dial. And there's probably a bracelet out there that will fit it - check out Forstner.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 4/15/2021 at 9:23 PM, brown water said:

So made a minor course correction. Opted for white face instead of black. Felt like it was a bit more traditional and that the white showed the subtle complications like the panoramic date better. 

The AD didn’t have a steel bracelet available so they made a minor discount on a strap with deployant clasp and are getting the bracelet from the factory at no additional cost.

@52-80 I lost the blue lume which was disappointing and what first caught my attention  

F372080B-CD59-4129-99BB-F3AE9DCCFE29.jpeg

DCA507E4-73DD-4525-9145-A10023D36E72.jpeg

I posted these of my senator a while back.  I’ll post pics soon - looking back I don’t think I have since receiving the bracelet. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

A buddy of mine wants to buy his first nice watch.  He has 10-13K to spend and said a chronometer would be cool.  Thoughts?  He also said he wanted something dressy.

I'd say just stick with the classics and grab an Omega/Tudor/Breitling/IWC or something. Best part is wouldn't even need to max out the budget.

Problem with [dressy/bracelet/chrono] is that it's a pick 2 out of 3.  Hard to think of anything else but a Speedmaster.  The rest are really really chonky bois with chonky bezels.

Vintage Heuer or Blancpain Villeret chrono on a milanese or rice-bead bracelet could be something

Heuer_3647ST_Chronograph_Vintage_horloge

1-2.jpg

On 11/8/2021 at 10:40 PM, HoustonHorn said:

Also, pretty sure I posted a review of my Gorilla watch previously, but I really like it. Very unique design. I dig squarish watches It's quite large but wears very comfortable. I have 7.5" wrists and while it doesn't overhang it isn't far off. Love the auto-themed hour markers actually being the minutes up to 60 like a speedometer.

Absolutely has a presence and will get comments.

Mine is the Fastback Galaxy Blue. They have released quite a few new options since I got this one. The Wandering hours versions are definitely something I'd consider in the future. Such a cool complication.

Also has a great website that you can easily select the watch and rotate through strap options.

f8021b838541d22eee393e0671a4622d.jpg

Their wandering hour complication is amazing, but the styling is a little too Invicta for me. 

Their wandering hour complication is amazing, but the styling is a little too Invicta for me. 
It isn't for everyone for sure. I switch watches alot so I throw it on if I'm going to one of my kids ' games or otherwise completely casual and outdoors. I don't really see Invicta in it other than being large. But I can't say I've ever spent time looking at Invicta watches. I thought they were mostly shitty knockoffs of Subs and large blingy watches.

The guys who started the brand are both watch designers from AP (and alot of other high end brands) and there are a lot of little elements that show a real understanding of design.

Titanium case so it's pretty light and a darker gray with a ceramic bezel.

The lume is pretty cool with the 5-minute markers instead of hours so it really fits with the car theme (speedometer).

I also love square and cushion style cases and always have since I started collecting.

My first real watch. bf05cd16b6460ad2eeaa2d9c7ffc8dcf.jpg

12 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

It isn't for everyone for sure. I switch watches alot so I throw it on if I'm going to one of my kids ' games or otherwise completely casual and outdoors. I don't really see Invicta in it other than being large. But I can't say I've ever spent time looking at Invicta watches. I thought they were mostly shitty knockoffs of Subs and large blingy watches.

The guys who started the brand are both watch designers from AP (and alot of other high end brands) and there are a lot of little elements that show a real understanding of design.

Titanium case so it's pretty light and a darker gray with a ceramic bezel.

The lume is pretty cool with the 5-minute markers instead of hours so it really fits with the car theme (speedometer).

I also love square and cushion style cases and always have since I started collecting.

My first real watch. bf05cd16b6460ad2eeaa2d9c7ffc8dcf.jpg

I dove deep and almost got there with the cushion case version.  But man, I looked at some actual wrist shots and holy balls it’s yuge.  Also, the full polish bezel is a bit much.  I’ve never had a black watch, but the Black Friday DLC one might actually be better.  But when do you wear that?

I’m glad you like yours and it’s making me think about one again  

213BDC64-D855-4D92-8AFF-E40608D3381B.jpeg

It's massive and blocky. Visually it's large and I think the lug to lug is like 55mm. It wears very comfortable with the flat case back and titanium.

The straps are great, although nearly impossible to switch because they are fitted to the case. Curved spring bar helps. But the strap is very comfortable and the watch feels secure.

For the park or going to a game, its great. A total weekender. It's never seen my office.

For $1k is a great change of pace. And I do really like the brand's unique design. And while I love the wandering hours, I have a lot of other watches ahead of that one for what it costs.

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:
3 hours ago, Snacks said:
Mr. Gray Slacks finally pulled the trigger on one of these today... I've been wanting this dude for years. Happy Christmas to me 

Congrats, beautiful!

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I'll post when it arrives

I don't keep up with this thread. But what would y'all suggest for a dress/dive watch for Mrs. CHIEF? Apparently Rolex doesn't make a "woman specific" Submariner. Looking for something dressy enough to wear daily, definitely not a sports watch. Stainless, or white gold. Under $10k, not because of me, but because of her?

CHIEF

31 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I don't keep up with this thread. But what would y'all suggest for a dress/dive watch for Mrs. CHIEF? Apparently Rolex doesn't make a "woman specific" Submariner. Looking for something dressy enough to wear daily, definitely not a sports watch. Stainless, or white gold. Under $10k, not because of me, but because of her?

CHIEF

I don't think there are many women's dive watches.  While the vast majority of high-end dive watches are never used for anything more than casual diving, they are designed for the purpose, and part of that design includes a big, visible dial, with big luminous hands.  The ultra-professional dive watches are enormous.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what a "dress/dive" watch is.  Strictly speaking a dive watch is not a dress watch.  For men, at least, thanks to James Bond, a diver is acceptable as a dressy watch, but a real watch wanker or sartorial type is going to have a slimmer, more discreet watch for dress occasions.

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

cartier tank done. can swap between bracelet and strap

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Omega Aqua Terra 

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/seamaster/aqua-terra-150m/ladies-collection/catalog

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Beyond that, I'm not sure what a "dress/dive" watch is.  Strictly speaking a dive watch is not a dress watch.  For men, at least, thanks to James Bond, a diver is acceptable as a dressy watch, but a real watch wanker or sartorial type is going to have a slimmer, more discreet watch for dress occasions.

You only wear it with black diving suits ??