The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Strongly considering pulling the trigger on this IWC. <10 years old with original papers and what appears to be very good condition, and I like the thinner case (~9mm) compared to the De Ville (~13mm). Seems like a good price after shopping around a bit. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

17 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Strongly considering pulling the trigger on this IWC. <10 years old with original papers and what appears to be very good condition, and I like the thinner case (~9mm) compared to the De Ville (~13mm). Seems like a good price after shopping around a bit. 

Looks awesome.

Also I sold my Cocktail Time years ago and was going to kick myself if the pre-Presage versions had appreciated that much.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Gorgeous watch and IWC is a great brand.

20 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

do it jewish GIF

Done. Can't wait to get it in. Dealer sent tons of additional pics. There were a few scuffs on the outside of the case with the close up photos, but I decided I didn't mind given the price point and how much I like the watch. Dealer sent the timegrapher reading and it looks to be functioning great. 

Thanks everyone for bearing with. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/4/2022 at 7:05 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That’s a beautiful timepiece.

21 hours ago, topochico said:

Most of those scuffs are probably not noticeable on the wrist. The close up photos can make them look way worse than in person. 

And new watches scratch too. It’s part of it, time pieces that are well worn make for better inheritances anyway. Live life, fully.  If that means scratches on a nice watch well then get to it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, troph said:

And new watches scratch too. It’s part of it, time pieces that are well worn make for better inheritances anyway. Live life, fully.  If that means scratches on a nice watch well then get to it.  

Based on Baba Yagas post, are smells part of that great "patina" was well ?

Can’t really post obnoxious photos of my watch anywhere but here. Post mutiny Capitan of our 45 foot sailing cat.  Felt like a boss pic was warranted. #yachtmaster 

CA1F101C-9216-4436-9CFB-A0FBAC502D3C.jpeg

Next deal we close I will add another. Vintage Heuer looks enticing, maybe a entry level vintage patek, maybe a new IWC, breitling or sea master (vintage or new).  Addictive hobby, probably need at least three so my boys won’t fight over them when I die. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 1/11/2022 at 8:13 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Holy smokes it’s better than I imagined.

You were absolutely right. It looks brand new without knowing exactly where to look in the right light.

F4E87658-BE8E-4D6E-9361-3BA2B5F5B868.jpeg

love the cityscape in the background, makes you look like a baller.

• Hook 'Em 1

GP is blowing up right now. When I bought my 70s I tried on the Laureato and it was extremely nice. I know it stands on its on merits and I really liked the watch. But I just couldn't get past the fact it was the Avis of Genta-inspired watches. I was looking for something more unique.

Moser is about to blow up... guessing this summer. It will become the IG summer brand. Lots of money moving into alternative brands in this crazy luxury market. Moser has brand recognition and cachet, and it's sold in high end ADs next to all the other high end brands. They are hugely eye catching whether you like them or not so it's relatively widely known and recognized even though it hasn't gotten main steam popularity yet. Some of their high end limited edition pieces have already gotten hot and exploded on price as availability is extremely limited. Look at the price of the Streamliner Centre Seconds... Selling 50% above retail. Other models will follow as they make an insanely low number of watches. Watchbox, with the huge influx of MJ and NBA money and built in tie-in with celebrities, is about to dictate demand for luxury watches that aren't just Rolex/PP/AP.

Czapek work the Antarctique and PF with the Tonda are beginning to follow suit. Both of these are amazing watches.

Even Glashutte Original is slowly becoming more difficult to get for some watches and secondary market prices are slowly rising. Work only 4,000 watches made pretty year, it dies by take much demand.

Now is a pretty unique time to get into non - Rolex/PP/AP and not lose your shirt. With smart purchases they will likely go up in value. Look for IG friendly high horology independent brands (yes I know GO is officially in the Swatch Group but they leave them alone) with very low production. Definitely not a bad time to build a relationship with your AD. With some of these brands it's much easier start getting access to some more high demand limited releases.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Any Moser fans?

11 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Or GP?

Moser for that vented lug thing, but moreso because that particular GP will just always strike me (rightly or wrongly) as a clone of some weird Nautilus+Royal Oak offshoot

• Hook 'Em 1

Moser certainly has a polarizing look. Can't argue with the dials and movements though. Case designs can be a little out there, especially the Streamliner. But I really like that organic/flowing look. Different and obviously there's a fair amount of demand.

Exactly my thought on the GP. Taken in a vacuum, its a gorgeous watch and really well finished. But we aren't in a vacuum.

For something a little different at that level though, Parmigiani Fleurier has serious watch making chops and the new Tonda GT is a huge hit. Pricey, but again, luxury brands are moving up quickly as there isn't enough Rolex/AP/PP for the amount of money being dumped into luxury watches.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2022 at 5:17 AM, G650 said:

I've always low key kinda liked GP

23 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

GP is blowing up right now. When I bought my 70s I tried on the Laureato and it was extremely nice. I know it stands on its on merits and I really liked the watch. But I just couldn't get past the fact it was the Avis of Genta-inspired watches. I was looking for something more unique.

Interesting. I’ve always had mixed feelings on GP.  My first really nice watch was the WWTC chronograph which I bought in 2010. The complications are pretty amazing, quality is great and first look it’s aesthetically pleasing.  The problem is it’s so busy than it’s hard to, you know, read the time. Anyway like my other high end watches it’s a marker for a career milestone so I’ll probably keep holding on to it. Essentially this but on a steel bracelet. 

3750CFF4-F802-49BD-9B72-D135800478C4.jpeg

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Moser for that vented lug thing, but moreso because that particular GP will just always strike me (rightly or wrongly) as a clone of some weird Nautilus+Royal Oak offshoot

16 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

For something a little different at that level though, Parmigiani Fleurier has serious watch making chops and the new Tonda GT is a huge hit. Pricey, but again, luxury brands are moving up quickly as there isn't enough Rolex/AP/PP for the amount of money being dumped into luxury watches.

Totally agree. Found the Tonda GT when looking for an integrated bracelet sport watch. Despite its history the GP Laureato just feels too derivative. Landed on the Tonda GT as a Nautilus alternative and, neg away, the RO hasn’t ever really done it for me. Also I’ve got a bit of a contrarian side that steers away from the mainstream choices.  Only complaint is that on the sports dress continuum it skews toward the dressier side. 

Separately I really don’t like the new Tonda PF which is virtually identical other than the minimalist dial. YMMV. 

07A52488-297E-4E00-BE51-2950083AE492.jpeg

C1BD629F-7117-4551-A617-30B9DB4CA262.jpeg

Edited by brown water

So Surly watch hounds. I am on the prowl for a Universal Genève Compax Nina Rindt. Ref 885103/2

These come around reasonably often, but usually in poor condition. If anyone randomly comes across one give a brother a heads up
This is a man who is serious about watches and doesn't fuck around. Beauty. If I come across anything I'll let you know.

17 hours ago, G650 said:

So Surly watch hounds. I am on the prowl for a Universal Genève Compax Nina Rindt. Ref 885103/2

These come around reasonably often, but usually in poor condition. If anyone randomly comes across one give a brother a heads up

There goes 10 minutes that I’m not getting back.  Beautiful watch.  I assume you’ve seen this article, but I enjoyed reading it so I thought I would share:

http://www.bazamu.com/universal-geneve-compax-nina-rindt/

42 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I only know of it because Im a big fan of Enicar watches in general and really want the Jim Clark Sherpa Graph. So I've come across a lot of racing chronographs associated with famous drivers (and their wives). Screenshot_20220117-141723_Chrome.thumb.jpg.571bc3c35fc5d46c460bc516847e0162.jpg

Yeah that is one excellent piece right there.