The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Can we talk straps?  Specifically looking at non-metal options for my Seamaster?  Kind of lukewarm on NATO straps?  Anyone know of or used ARTEM or others like them (sailcloth)?

Maybe like this?  But in blue or gray?

2608fd04d89cea4c4d835827643e42fc.jpg

Omega.jpg

I’ve worn this Omega rubber strap for about 10 years or so.  I’ve enjoyed it. 

B5ABC8BB-7B0D-408A-9842-46ABFE3FEDAC.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

RubberB and Everest for rubber straps both have really good reviews. I bought a cheapo Borealis. I liked it then the buckle broke and I've never gotten around to fixing it. I bought an Artem sailcloth for my Speedmaster. It's nice but was pretty stiff. The Speedmaster lug width (Racing at least) is about 21mm, and the 20mm strap just wasn't quite big enough. Not bad looking but not a perfect fit. So I've never broken it in. I'm sure it's great after that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Dig the pattern, and contrasting stitching (always a favorite detail of mine). How do they hold up ?  Can you clean them ?

Mines been solid. Had it for about 6 years now. I can't comment on cleaning really since it's used in almost an exclusively marine environment, so just wash off the salt for the most part.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So my cheap Festina broke and now I need an everyday watch.   My friend owns a jewelry store here in SA and she says stay clear of Rolex because they are currently inflated like the car market.    I once owned a Breitling that I really liked but damn the Breitlings are $7k.   I'd like to spend $3k at the most.   Any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

So my cheap Festina broke and now I need an everyday watch.   My friend owns a jewelry store here in SA and she says stay clear of Rolex because they are currently inflated like the car market.    I once owned a Breitling that I really liked but damn the Breitlings are $7k.   I'd like to spend $3k at the most.   Any suggestions?

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/models/chronographs/?p=1

the cases are tank-like

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Sinn, Hamilton, Omega, Ball, Seiko.

Sinn (pronounced Zinn) would be my first choice. Great quality, lots of different designs.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/9/2022 at 9:14 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I totally dig the engineering, detail, and imagination, but yeah, no. You can't even tell time on some of them.  Way too gimmicky for my taste.  A couple look like something you'd win at a carnival grab claw game.

Agreed. I revel in the detail, the precision and engineering.  I did like the Devon, but it looked like it was as big as a pack of cigs.  The last JLC was nice.

20 hours ago, midtown said:

Picture of the Festina so we have an idea of your tastes or some general guidelines. Need it to be somewhat professional, sporty, dressy? Any certain complication you use.

For closer to 2k, Oris gives you a lot of quality. For just over $3k the new in-house Calibre 400 is a big upgrade. 5 day power reserve. 10 year service interval and 10 year warranty. Either way, excellent watches for the money.

https://www.oris.ch/en/collection/big-crown-propilot?filters=all,col32

image.png.fb1816cfe8a0fa6142aa04f337d31b85.png

image.png.c72a297f16f110b524f8b0c46bad561c.png

image.png.584c7d73d7d6b83bb28935b328d3bc9f.png

Edited by HoustonHorn

16 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Didn't you have a Nomos a few years back? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I have a Ludwig 33 (ref 243).  Love the shell cordovan strap on it.  Want to swap to a larger 35mm version (ref 201) one of these days when I'm motivated to do it.

I went ahead and bought this for now while I research and maybe wait for the crazy inflation to come back to earth but thats a good example of what I like in an everyday watch.   I also have a Louis Vuitton dress watch so I dont need another leather banded watch.  Really like those Oris and the Sinn that were suggested earlier.

https://festina.com/en-GB/watch/man/festina/festina-mens-silver-chrono-bike-2021-stainless-steel-watch-bracelet-f20543_1.html?val1=0dca33a78a841c978b49f8d1f55d1b2917332efca8cd19b43b8cd52d1d19c98b

Edited by midtown

On 2/16/2022 at 10:35 AM, huge said:

Barton gray canvas strap on Aquaterra.  Cheap and quick release. 

https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/collections/canvas-quick-release-watch-bands

omega.jpg

Damnit I was just looking at aqua terras today….need one in the collection of seamasters and speedies.  I love yours and also the model with gray dial & blue strap/hands.

I got burned on a sale of my Rolex Explorer II like 5 years ago and have stayed away from the watch scene since. Starting to get the itch, but baby steps for now. A buddy of mine has gotten into watch making and pieced this puppy together using a Seiko automatic w/ hacking, Seiko crown, and Seiko date wheel (rest is custom). A little bit Nautilus, a little bit Royal Oak. Strap is all wrong but I'll worry about that later. Pretty happy for only $100 + strap:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

The AquaTerra is one of the most underrated watches. You really have to see it in person and try it on to appreciate it. I passed over it a bunch of times without a glance. Once I actually stopped and tried it on, I realized how great a watch it actually is. I haven't bought one yet as I've gotten into independents but I love them.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

The AquaTerra is one of the most underrated watches. You really have to see it in person and try it on to appreciate it. I passed over it a bunch of times without a glance. Once I actually stopped and tried it on, I realized how great a watch it actually is. I haven't bought one yet as I've gotten into independents but I love them.

I think AquaTerra blue dial is next up on my list. Beautiful watch.

7 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Breitling has really turned things around recently. They brought in Georges Kern. They also received private equity investment fairly recently.

Huge improvement and they have some really nice releases in the past year.

1. I'm a sucker for colored dials and the green and the red are also fab.  But that blue Triumph is tits.

2. These things are already asking a +50% premium on chrono24... is there already shortage?

3. Apparently it's a reintroduction of a historical line, and the vintage Top Time also look neat

image.thumb.png.534c6dc7db644e430c3f42aa226fa063.png

27 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

1. I'm a sucker for colored dials and the green and the red are also fab.  But that blue Triumph is tits.

2. These things are already asking a +50% premium on chrono24... is there already shortage?

3. Apparently it's a reintroduction of a historical line, and the vintage Top Time also look neat

When I got my green dial it was a limited release but they aren't numbered ...I think the Shelby was already sold out. 

It's a great piece and the strap is one of my favorites. 

The chrono main dial hand actually makes a full rotation in 30seconds  it threw me off at first.

Attached a video at the end to show the color change with light.

EF5E095D-2421-48A1-9AC1-6A4A199F87CD.jpeg

7D926124-2A64-47F4-8F18-CF355F056848.jpeg

IMG_4453.MOV

Edited by utxmike05
  • Hook 'Em 2