The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 12/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

been awhile since we've done this, and probably have some new folks on the board...

what's your holy grail watch?

Tiffany 5711.  Working on it.  Didn’t think I’d ever get my original grail…AP royal oak chrono green dial but have a great guy.  Only 125 of that one. 170 of the 5711.  Tis the thread to brag.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Tiffany 5711.  Working on it.  Didn’t think I’d ever get my original grail…AP royal oak chrono green dial but have a great guy.  Only 125 of that one. 170 of the 5711.  Tis the thread to brag.  

Dude that watch is heinous lol

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

Dude that watch is heinous lol

It's more the chase.  I pretty much only wear like 4-5 of them but chasing down what you can't have is the fun.  For every day I usually have the aquanut 5164A.  If I do gold/heading out the Patek 59801r.  But to me grail is something you really can't get.  Also getting them anything close to retail and you've made a hell of an investment. 

I grabbed the RM055 Bubba white legend to lift weights and play tennis in because I'm that guy who always has to have a watch on.  It's 100% a dbag watch.  Pretty sure it's 5x what I paid.  I don't discriminate - unless it's a god damn hublot...fuck those. 

Edit: also I DO like the tiffany 5711 and LOVE the green dial AP but I'm saying I totally get how they're too gaudy for many.  If it's something that holds value/goes up I'm happy to jump on it.  Getting anything worthwhile at retail these days is next to impossible.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you get that 5711, I'm coming to Chicago to try it on.

It’s a deal my friend.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

because I'm that guy who always has to have a watch on.

Oh I feel you. I don't remember if it was on here or the old site, but I know I mentioned my wrist actually flattened out on my left arm because I wore a watch every day of my life from like 13 years old. I switched to my right wrist as an adult, and now back to my left.

Merry Christmas to all you filthy animals.

• Hook 'Em 1

Read the last 20 or so pages on this thread, plus some sniffing around reddit and other sites. I'm looking for some advice on a first dress watch. From an appearance perspective, I want something that is classic, simple, not flashy or large, but that I will know is high quality. I work in a fairly formal environment in New York (or at least we were suits everyday pre-pandemic; we'll see). I don't really want to spend more than a few grand. After doing research, the below are the three that I keep circling back to at three different price points. Anything that I am obviously missing based on this description?

Omega De Ville

Longines Flagship

Hamilton Jazzmaster (except I would prefer a black strap)

I also really like this one, but I think I am going to pass on that price for a first watch.

Welcome any thoughts, thanks in advance. 

17 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Read the last 20 or so pages on this thread, plus some sniffing around reddit and other sites. I'm looking for some advice on a first dress watch. From an appearance perspective, I want something that is classic, simple, not flashy or large, but that I will know is high quality. I work in a fairly formal environment in New York (or at least we were suits everyday pre-pandemic; we'll see). I don't really want to spend more than a few grand. After doing research, the below are the three that I keep circling back to at three different price points. Anything that I am obviously missing based on this description?

Omega De Ville

Longines Flagship

I also really like this one, but I think I am going to pass on that price for a first watch.

All good choices

you may like Nomos

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Omega De Ville

Longines Flagship

At your upper end, Omega would be my choice

Frederique Constant makes a great watch at an amazing price. Another option would be to start looking at the used market to get a bit more bang for your buck. 

https://frederiqueconstant.com/collections/7-8-index-automatic/products/classics-index-automatic-1

https://frederiqueconstant.com/collections/heart-beat-automatic-classics/products/heart-beat-automatic-fc-310ms5b6

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Omega De Ville

Longines Flagship

They go for about 2k used these days, but the SARB065 Seiko is a fantastic watch.

Seiko-SARB065-Cocktail-Time-6.jpg?w=2400

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Omega De Ville
Longines Flagship
An Omega Constellation GlobeMaster might be on the high end of your range but you can find one for under $5k and they are great.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:
10 hours ago, G650 said:
Shit, I misremembered which Seiko I was thinking of

No worries, I got excited when you said that because I'm looking to liquidate some of my collection and have on few of the originals and 3 other colors. Was thinking that would be pretty damn nice.

Indeed! The SARB065 Cool is a fantastic looking watch and I like the blue 77 as well.

9 hours ago, Snacks said:

You're probably thinking of the Snowflake.

Yeah I was going to go look today. Was running on about one hour of sleep yesterday after family drama Christmas Eve/Morning, so rather delirious last night. Still am a bit to be honest.

14 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:
16 hours ago, G650 said:
Shit, I misremembered which Seiko I was thinking of

No worries, I got excited when you said that because I'm looking to liquidate some of my collection and have on few of the originals and 3 other colors. Was thinking that would be pretty damn nice.

Same! 

But if anyone is interested, I suppose I could let my SARB065 go for $1500.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Also very tempted by this guy, but seems like making a first purchase from the used market isn’t a rationale move

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/seamaster-deville-automatic-18k-gold-34mm-black-leather-strap--id19975152.htm

price might be due to gold value of case, but a good condition vintage deville shouldnt stray far from 1k

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Thank you. That’s helpful. I really like the yellow gold and smaller face of the old deville’s, so I may keep looking through those

similar price range for gold + small case + classic dress:

https://www.chrono24.com/blancpain/villeret-moonphase-complete-calendar--id21102948.htm

https://www.chrono24.com/blancpain/villeret-automatic-moon--id19323575.htm

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

That’s dope. Here is one closer to the price point you mentioned and also happens to be right here in New York. Ok I’ll stop clogging this thread now

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/seamaster-de-ville--id21293140.htm

That’s dope. Here is one closer to the price point you mentioned and also happens to be right here in New York. Ok I’ll stop clogging this thread now

If you have the patience, you can get much better values at auctions on dress watches than most open resellers. Sport watches not so much, but as I mentioned a little upthread I grabbed a vintage 18k Vacheron at auction for 2 grand.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/25/2021 at 2:38 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Omega De Ville

Longines Flagship

Of the 3, the Omega looks the best.

If you're open to smaller brands, take a look at Lime and Archimede watches. Both are daughter companies of Ickler which makes cases for a lot of the bigger brands.

Here's the Limes Pharo Big Date with Power Reserve   https://www.limes-watches.com/pharo/bigdate-power-reserve/324/pharo-bigdate-ii.-ls

image.png.afa4d80543215fcbba472d00b914c4bd.png

Limes has a sister company called Archimede that has more affordable watches. The Klassik 200 looks similar to what you're looking for   https://www.archimede-watches.com/klassik/klassik-200/

image.png.95f7f6617b9c4e377c1e6786924f557f.png

I really like their 1950s watches with domed sapphire crystal   https://www.archimede-watches.com/1950-2.-sw.sc.ls

image.png.e2eee1897081d3ed6da85bbe5dc955a5.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

And here I was thinking I had enough watches, and then now I want a vintage Seamaster Deville. 

On 12/25/2021 at 4:38 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Omega De Ville

Longines Flagship

You could also check out the Stowa Marine line.  

https://www.stowa.de/en/marine+original+arabic.htm

• Hook 'Em 1

Happy New Years!
135EA9C0-95A5-4B0D-AA09-5C9084AF206E.thumb.jpeg.94fbad301beede86174f74af65c275e2.jpeg

9b6ca06643daa22044e9d2d37ed0ab56.png

This is my Father’s watch. Very rough shape because he wore the hell out of it. They went to the Cotton Bowl three years in a row. I think all three were Omegas.

He gave his ‘61 to his brother and ‘63 to his Dad. Neither of those two ever made it back to his possession, as they have both passed away over past decades.

I wish I could get his and send it in to get refurbished / fixed, because he turns 80 this year.

Hook’em!!
  • Hook 'Em 2

That is very cool! I know Royal said a few times that the ‘61 team (‘62 CB) was his best. 
I believe this watch has a “bumper” automatic movement, which is also cool and unique. Do you have somebody in mind for refurbishment? If not, I’ll share what I know about sources.