The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

I just ordered a tan leather band for my Yachtmaster...
yacht-master-on-vegetable-tanned-leather-watch-band.jpg?v=1578283918&f=1&nofb=1
The band I really want, but couldn't find (my skills on searches are not optimal), is this...
ymcro2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
If anyone here does have the skills or a line on where I might purchase such a band I'd be most appreciative.

Stone Creek Straps does custom straps of all varieties. I got a brown leather rally strap with deviated stitching and curved spring bars for my Hamilton Pan Europ. It was arguably higher quality than the watch.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, drewlaws said:

Stone Creek Straps does custom straps of all varieties. I got a brown leather rally strap with deviated stitching and curved spring bars for my Hamilton Pan Europ. It was arguably higher quality than the watch.

Just went and checked out their website.  Nice stuff.

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

I just ordered a tan leather band for my Yachtmaster...

yacht-master-on-vegetable-tanned-leather

The band I really want, but couldn't find (my skills on searches are not optimal), is this...

ymcro2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If anyone here does have the skills or a line on where I might purchase such a band I'd be most appreciative.

these are a bit expensive but really well done. I’m thinking about a custom one for my GO. Friend had one made for his IWC. 

https://www.abpconcept.paris/collections/bracelets-pour-montres-rolex-watch-bands-leather-straps

• Like 2

So I tried out the Santos Large ADLC and the XL ADLC Chronograph. At my wrist size, the XL I think looks better. And I'm a sucker for a chronograph. The Large looks great too, just not quite as good as the XL Chrono. Unfortunately the XL Chrono only comes with the rubber and leather strap options. No steel bracelet like the large. The straps are definitely nice and even if I had the bracelet I'd switch it up alot. That said, I really like having a bracelet and if the XL had one, I'd definitely go with that. But for that much money I'm worried that not having a steel bracelet is going to bug me.

I've been wanting a GO Seventies for a few years, which is how I got dragged into this squarish case shape obsession for my next watch. Unfortunately there are no GO dealers in or near Houston. While I know I won't be disappointed with the GO, I don't know that it is worth the premium over the Santos, which I know I really love other than no bracelet.20210903_145237(1).thumb.jpg.a5a0bf51bf18e51e03ac96748b61c3cf.jpg

20210903_145051(1).thumb.jpg.ff7f35a898a6953b9ecacb0f708a7a74.jpgGo70s.JPG.1d31622edc491bb6330b09ae87791081.JPG

5 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I highly recommend investing in this to remove the YM bracelet.

Watch Spring Bar Plier Tool Set with Durable 10 Tips Pins, 6825 Spring Bar Tweezer Tool for Watch Wrist Bands Strap Removal Repair Fix Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H55MW9T/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_09HBHBK70YAZZ5X4EMQ4

Ok, thanks for that.  Never would have thought of it on my own and if there's anyone I know (you and/or your bros) who knows about all the little things regarding Rolex stuff...

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Ok, thanks for that.  Never would have thought of it on my own and if there's anyone I know (you and/or your bros) who knows about all the little things regarding Rolex stuff...

Probably need a good spring bar tool also for removing and taking off straps.

https://www.amazon.com/Package-Bergeon-6767S-Watch-Spring/dp/B0728KW5YT/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=spring+bar+tool&qid=1631223420&sr=8-7

The tools are easy, but (and please don't take this wrong) if you are not mechanically adept or familiar with doing it, practice on a cheap watch multiple times first. It is very easy to slip and scratch the watch with these tools, and you will feel like an idiot if it's on your expensive watch.

• Like 1

I have had surprisingly good luck removing spring bars in tight spaces with dental floss. You thread the floss through and around the installed spring bar, as close to the accessible end (smaller diameter) as possible, and tie a knot. Then give the floss a yank. It works better than you’d think. 

(And since I have so many vintage watches) another trick, for unscrewing jammed, stuck case backs, that really works is: superglue a 5/16 nut onto the case back. Let it dry. Get a wrench and unscrew case back. Use nail polish remover to remove nut from case back and clean up. (Note- only try this on stainless steel casebacks). 

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

The tools are easy, but (and please don't take this wrong) if you are not mechanically adept or familiar with doing it, practice on a cheap watch multiple times first. It is very easy to slip and scratch the watch with these tools, and you will feel like an idiot if it's on your expensive watch.

I second this. And no, don’t use dental floss.  Lol. 

guilty of scratching the hell out of the lugs.  its a wonder in 100 years the watch world hasnt moved on to a different style of connection.

ming does a smart thing on the strap with that nub there to to control the spring bar.

PC090013.jpg

and the apple watch thing is also brilliant but obviously it is format-specific

18 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

So I tried out the Santos Large ADLC and the XL ADLC Chronograph. At my wrist size, the XL I think looks better. And I'm a sucker for a chronograph. The Large looks great too, just not quite as good as the XL Chrono. Unfortunately the XL Chrono only comes with the rubber and leather strap options. No steel bracelet like the large. The straps are definitely nice and even if I had the bracelet I'd switch it up alot. That said, I really like having a bracelet and if the XL had one, I'd definitely go with that. But for that much money I'm worried that not having a steel bracelet is going to bug me.

I've been wanting a GO Seventies for a few years, which is how I got dragged into this squarish case shape obsession for my next watch. Unfortunately there are no GO dealers in or near Houston. While I know I won't be disappointed with the GO, I don't know that it is worth the premium over the Santos, which I know I really love other than no bracelet.20210903_145237(1).thumb.jpg.a5a0bf51bf18e51e03ac96748b61c3cf.jpg

20210903_145051(1).thumb.jpg.ff7f35a898a6953b9ecacb0f708a7a74.jpgGo70s.JPG.1d31622edc491bb6330b09ae87791081.JPG

When I bought my GO I used an online AD.  Specifically asked them to allow return since I was ordering without being able to see in person. They accommodated and offered a discount ~15% and didn’t charge sales tax. You can PM me if you’d like contact information. 

My Explorer 1016 is easy. The hole for the spring bar is drilled all the way through the lug. You just poke it out through the outside end. It’s not a clean look, but it’s handy. 

ir’s hilarious that my most valuable watch has the crudest feature. 
I have a few watches with drilled lugs and it does make it easier. The thing I don't like is that you have no control over the spring bar when it comes out the other side. It'll come out and snap back open scratching the outside of the lug sometimes. With a spring bar tool, you can keep the spring bar from opening back up until your clear of the lug area.

3 hours ago, brown water said:

When I bought my GO I used an online AD.  Specifically asked them to allow return since I was ordering without being able to see in person. They accommodated and offered a discount ~15% and didn’t charge sales tax. You can PM me if you’d like contact information. 

Thanks, PM sent

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I usually see that feature referred to as a quick change strap. There are aftermarket ones, but not so easy to find:

https://www.techswiss.com/blog/faq-what-are-quick-change-or-quick-release-watch-bands/

BARTON Watch Bands is local in Austin and all of their offerings are quick release. I don't own one though, so I can't speak to their quality.

40 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

cafb6267280f48696b7a5bd17dc5d0f2.jpg

Pretty sure I have asked this before but is this a good looking or ugly watch? Is it too flashy with the rose gold? Just tried this on and deciding if I should buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like it, go for it. It's your watch. Personally, I am not a fan of gold or brown anything. I also think the root beer/brown color scheme will fall out of fashion just like it did after the 1970's. If I am dropping that much coin on a watch, I would prefer a more timeless design. 

47 minutes ago, topochico said:

If you like it, go for it. It's your watch. Personally, I am not a fan of gold or brown anything. I also think the root beer/brown color scheme will fall out of fashion just like it did after the 1970's. If I am dropping that much coin on a watch, I would prefer a more timeless design. 

Can always change the insert to a different color.  I am no fan of rose gold, I would wear it if it was stainless or yellow gold and stainless.

Wearing another extreme vintage today. You can barely make it out, but this watch is engraved with “Shrine East West”. It was given to Ed Kolman of Temple, a tackle. It’s funny now, to think of a big old tackle wearing such a small watch, but that’s how they were then. TheElgin movement was used in gents and ladies watches, and when I bought this watch, it had a ladies bracelet on it. 

I call this kind of watch (no seconds hand) a “gentleman’s watch”, because only a true gentleman, a man of leisure, doesn’t need to time something occasionally. 

3F037D3C-1EB8-4B4A-A059-A6C1B6C53BE8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Pretty sure I have asked this before but is this a good looking or ugly watch? Is it too flashy with the rose gold? Just tried this on and deciding if I should buy it.

Personally, I like it. Also, spending your money is very easy for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Go for it.

I'm on a bit of a 70s kick lately myself

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Probably my least favorite of the GMTs, but buy what you like. More importantly, where did you find a Rolex for sale? Second hand I assume? I want a Batman but not close to wanting it $20k bad.

59 minutes ago, drewlaws said:

Probably my least favorite of the GMTs, but buy what you like. More importantly, where did you find a Rolex for sale? Second hand I assume? I want a Batman but not close to wanting it $20k bad.

I am in Orlando for work and went over to Davidsw who has every Rolex available (for a price) just to try it on.  This was a brand new model with the stickers still on it and warranty card from May I think.  Guessing it was flipped immediately by a buyer or the Rolex AD themselves.  The rose gold on this model doesn’t show up correctly in photos.  In person it has a almost copper tone color.  Not sure it’s worth the $22K they want for a $15K watch.

As far as GMTs I was trying to get something that was different than my VC Overseas blue dial and something like a Batman is kind of similar where this would be different.  I did try on the Batman and Pepsi while I was there along with a hulk submariner.  I figured the rose gold would make this a little more dressy option than my VC even though the VC is a much better watch.  I had a rose gold day date a few years back but got rid of it as “it just wasn’t me” is the best way I can describe it.  I swear that being addicted to watches is as bad as being addicted to crack.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0

Fwiw, I like it.  I don’t do golds, especially yellow gold, but like the look of the rose (even though it doesn’t do well on me). Full disclaimer, I’m not a fan of the Batman or Pepsi.   I want the last of the 40mm sea dwellers, but they have gone up about 70% from when I almost (but didn’t) pull the trigger.  

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Fwiw, I like it.  I don’t do golds, especially yellow gold, but like the look of the rose (even though it doesn’t do well on me). Full disclaimer, I’m not a fan of the Batman or Pepsi.   I want the last of the 40mm sea dwellers, but they have gone up about 70% from when I almost (but didn’t) pull the trigger.  

Told you to quit being trigger shy....you just need more Millers to get that confidence up. 

38 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Told you to quit being trigger shy....you just need more Millers to get that confidence up. 

Yeah. I have serious mental blocks on things that I pass on, then appreciate like crazy. 

Biggest problem I have at this moment, is my boss (you know who). I can hear it now “We are paying Rolex money?  Need to revisit your comp.  I wish I could afford one (he could 100x over) like you guys.”   If penny-stretching was an sport, dude would be first ballot HOF. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah. I have serious mental blocks on things that I pass on, then appreciate like crazy. 

Biggest problem I have at this moment, is my boss (you know who). I can hear it now “We are paying Rolex money?  Need to revisit your comp.  I wish I could afford one (he could 100x over) like you guys.”   If penny-stretching was an sport, dude would be first ballot HOF. 

Part of the reason I went understated on top of the fact I go understated in most everything. I am going to buy something that goes with the times I dress a little nicer, but right now I’m wearing shorts and a polo so it works perfect. 

17 minutes ago, Brew said:

Part of the reason I went understated on top of the fact I go understated in most everything. I am going to buy something that goes with the times I dress a little nicer, but right now I’m wearing shorts and a polo so it works perfect. 

I get that, and your recent pickup is in a very short list of watches I’d love. But I’m pretty sure I’m only going to get one shot at this (because wife doesn’t understand it AT ALL). That wouldn’t help me either though, that fucker knows his way around the finer things in life.  I think he just chooses to stack money in his basement like Scrooge McDuck and swim in it and shit.  I made the mistake of driving wife’s new truck to work one day when mine was out of commission.  Never again.  

Eta: sea dweller is pretty understated no?

Edited by fattyflattie

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I get that, and your recent pickup is in a very short list of watches I’d love. But I’m pretty sure I’m only going to get one shot at this (because wife doesn’t understand it AT ALL). That wouldn’t help me either though, that fucker knows his way around the finer things in life.  I think he just chooses to stack money in his basement like Scrooge McDuck and swim in it and shit.  I made the mistake of driving wife’s new truck to work one day when mine was out of commission.  Never again.  

Eta: sea dweller is pretty understated no?

If it says Rolex its not understated unless you get a Rainbow Rolex.  My boss is cheap also.  He throws around dimes like they are manhole covers.

• Haha 1