The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

Are typical watch manufacturers taking a hit with smart watches currently?

Or are makers like seiko and omega and Rolex getting on board with apple?

My anecdotal view - I Don’t own an Apple Watch, have no interest in one. I don’t own a Macy’s fashion watch either.  If all I need is the time my phone, car (on screen in two places), laptop, microwave, oven, TV (4 of them), everyone else’s phone and my girlfriends Apple Watch can tell me. But I am looking for a second watch with an eye on omegas and Breitlings.  These watches we discuss say something about us and more importantly say something to us that resonates. It’s not really about the time of day.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Brew said:

They produced less than 40% of their normal volume last year which combined with demand through the roof has created a major Rolex shortage and increasing prices. My wife has been chasing a particular one for 9+ months with stops in 6-8 stores in multiple cities. The inventory has dropped over that period to the point where you may see 1-2 watches in store at most. She finally found one that was close enough last month in Naples and bought it. The sales people think it will be 2-3 years before it starts to catch back up. I haven’t seen any other watch manufacturer with that level of problem.

Didn’t know that.  What sucks for me in particular is the one I’m chasing was a short lived model, and now it’s just flat out of reach (for me).   Should have bought a few years ago when it was (literally) half what it is now. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

My anecdotal view - I Don’t own an Apple Watch, have no interest in one. I don’t own a Macy’s fashion watch either.  If all I need is the time my phone, car (on screen in two places), laptop, microwave, oven, TV (4 of them), everyone else’s phone and my girlfriends Apple Watch can tell me. But I am looking for a second watch with an eye on omegas and Breitlings.  These watches we discuss say something about us and more importantly say something to us that resonates. It’s not really about the time of day.

Yep, that we have too much excess money to spend ?  

Seriously though, I've been fascinated by watches since my many, many, moons ago youth. They are incredibly beautiful, and the engineering details always draw my attention.  A well proportioned watch is a thing of utter beauty, but I dig looking at old manufacturing machinery as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Didn’t know that.  What sucks for me in particular is the one I’m chasing was a short lived model, and now it’s just flat out of reach (for me).   Should have bought a few years ago when it was (literally) half what it is now. 

Well on the plus side you aren't trying to get a 5711 Patek. They are going for 100k plus now. What a world.

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well on the plus side you aren't trying to get a 5711 Patek. They are going for 100k plus now. What a world.

That’s one way to view it. I’d like to be able to afford a 100k timepiece, but frustrated with being able to actually find one. Great problem to have, as they say. 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, that we have too much excess money to spend ?  

Seriously though, I've been fascinated by watches since my many, many, moons ago youth. They are incredibly beautiful, and the engineering details always draw my attention.  A well proportioned watch is a thing of utter beauty, but I dig looking at old manufacturing machinery as well.

I’ve always had an interest in watches and kept up with the markets and everything around them. I just never could justify spending money on something I wore which is pretty apparent with my sparse wardrobe.  Boats, cars, guns, etc had more use to me if I wanted to buy something I really didn’t need. After working on designing a new master closet that includes significant space for my wife’s purses/shoes/jewelry/etc, I decided that was dumb and if I wanted one to just get it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

it's more than having silly money to blow on it.  my dad told me a long time ago he'd made it when he could buy a rolex.  he bought a used one a few years back.  there's a lot my dad said to me that's pure vile horseshit and the rolex comment while not vile horseshit may not be true, but it stuck with me as truth.  so when I felt like I made it, I bought one.  it's more to it than that.  now I have a reminder that tells me that I think I'm successful.  as a therapy junkie and self-talk fanatic, I've got that working for me too.  I talked to a friend of mine who is a higher up at a company on the executive sales team and she said the same thing I did - I would not accept my first luxury watch as a gift, I had to buy it for myself.  same reasons.  it's odd but there's a lot to a luxury watch beyond we had the money to buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, troph said:

it's more than having silly money to blow on it.  my dad told me a long time ago he'd made it when he could buy a rolex.  he bought a used one a few years back.  there's a lot my dad said to me that's pure vile horseshit and the rolex comment while not vile horseshit may not be true, but it stuck with me as truth.  so when I felt like I made it, I bought one.  it's more to it than that.  now I have a reminder that tells me that I think I'm successful.  as a therapy junkie and self-talk fanatic, I've got that working for me too.  I talked to a friend of mine who is a higher up at a company on the executive sales team and she said the same thing I did - I would not accept my first luxury watch as a gift, I had to buy it for myself.  same reasons.  it's odd but there's a lot to a luxury watch beyond we had the money to buy it. 

same here. When I bought my Rolex, I also refused to put it on a card and buy it until I had the bonus I was buying it with in-hand. I wasn't going to get it as a gift, and I wasn't going to buy it with borrowed money. You make it when you make it, and not until then. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

same here. When I bought my Rolex, I also refused to put it on a card and buy it until I had the bonus I was buying it with in-hand. I wasn't going to get it as a gift, and I wasn't going to buy it with borrowed money. You make it when you make it, and not until then. 

bro, points !

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 4:11 PM, G650 said:

That’s like buying wine in a steakhouse. A $30k watch selling at 3x to 4x is robbery. 

love the watch and it will always be a grail for me but not at that price. I bought an AP Royal Oak and VC Overseas first and hope I complete the trifecta some day.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:25 AM, brown water said:

Looking for thoughts on the Parmagiani Tonda. Interested in an integrated bracelet but perhaps a bit off the beaten path. Other options might be the Alpine Eagle (like it but is a bit of a RO Nautilus mashup) or a Laureato (but I’ve got another GP and think I’d like to branch out). Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. 

E4157970-893B-4512-A88B-D1724036700C.jpeg

7AD5F3DF-E813-47B4-B297-0068460B9302.jpeg

DD2400C9-EAB6-4CA2-A324-9C07BAC9BB12.jpeg

Went with the PF…

14C3BE0A-94A4-4B00-8E42-0226816D36F1.jpeg

E8A6ABB1-6B00-4E3E-8DA4-7CF35A6298F7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I seem to have become something of a vintage guy, a natural result of mixing a love of Longhorn football and watches. 

45EC8670-FED8-4F4F-86D9-C188BD9943CD.jpeg

I thought about making a play a few years ago for a Rolex that was a gift to the players from the Cotton Bowl in the 60/70’s.  I don’t remember the year.  I’ll see if I can find it.

I did.  The one I was looking sold a few years before this one, but it was the same watch, different player I believe.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football-collectibles/others/1969-cotton-bowl-classic-championship-rolex-watch-presented-to-lineman-charles-rogers/a/50029-80667.s

it sold for $3,120 for those who don’t want to create an account to find out.

Edited by conVINCEd

Ha-ha! This is the one I decided to wear today (I only have one of the Cotton Bowl Rolex/Tudors, but have a couple of the older CB Omegas). The name engraved on the back, as near as I can place it, is that of the husband of the UT AD bookkeeper. Not every vintage bowl game watch is washed in glory. 

C193B19A-CB7D-4448-B971-2245F260201B.jpegThe band is an old Rolex C&I riveted number, and it was in rough shape, so I sent it off to that guy in Hong King that restores them, and it’s a lot nicer now. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 8:36 AM, davidg said:

So, does anyone watch any of those grey market watch seller videos on youtube?  There are a couple of different one channels that looks like they move a shit ton of watches but it seems like a real slimy business.

Avoid them like the plague.  If you're going to venture in the grey market, I'd suggest EBay and look for pieces that come with an authenticity guarantee.  EBay holds the funds in escrow until the watch can be validated.

I was looking a Mad Paris Explorer II and agreed to a price with a seller - seller shipped it to the verifications group at EBay and didn't pass muster.  EBay sent me my funds back that day and booted the seller.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Avoid them like the plague.  If you're going to venture in the grey market, I'd suggest EBay and look for pieces that come with an authenticity guarantee.  EBay holds the funds in escrow until the watch can be validated.

I was looking a Mad Paris Explorer II and agreed to a price with a seller - seller shipped it to the verifications group at EBay and didn't pass muster.  EBay sent me my funds back that day and booted the seller.

Something quoted often on Timezone.com (a great watch forum) was you're buying the seller more than the watch.  They used to have great watch buying threads for watches under $5k, and watches over $5k

20 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Wrong. I’ve bought many grey market watches and never had an issue. No worries with buying something from DavidSW or Takuya.  if you buy on EBay, you as the buyer are going to pay the seller’s commission to a eBay which is ridiculously high.  

23 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

+1 to @cabowabo - the grey market dealers have a lot to like, ESPECIALLY if you're venturing into your first higher-end watch and need to save some coin. I bought from Jomashop, received a completely-untouched new-in-original-packaging Omega at a $2k discount from the boutique shop prices, and when I needed to submit for a warranty claim, they actually just sent me the original warranty card and told me to call Omega directly. 

56 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

+1 to @cabowabo - the grey market dealers have a lot to like, ESPECIALLY if you're venturing into your first higher-end watch and need to save some coin. I bought from Jomashop, received a completely-untouched new-in-original-packaging Omega at a $2k discount from the boutique shop prices, and when I needed to submit for a warranty claim, they actually just sent me the original warranty card and told me to call Omega directly. 

Yep, I have bought from Jomashop and Authenticwatches.com without issue. 

11 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Wrong. I’ve bought many grey market watches and never had an issue. No worries with buying something from DavidSW or Takuya.  if you buy on EBay, you as the buyer are going to pay the seller’s commission to a eBay which is ridiculously high.  

How do you figure that?  That doesn’t even make sense.

Nothing any invoice has ever said I paid the sellers fees.  I don’t even think EBay presents that as an option.  

12 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Why does the sellers commission matter if I get the piece for 50% of retail with full third party authentication?  I don’t give a shit what the seller or eBay nets if I get the right deal.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

My Dad only has his ‘62 Cotton Bowl watch in his possession. It is a gold Omega. He gave his other two to his Dad and brother.

That is awesome! I collect these watches, and have no familial connection like you. My dad, however, did win a gold medal in the ‘71 Pan Am games (Free Pistol). He’s getting up there, and have had the conversation with him, “You know, Dad, the Pan Am gold medal needs to stay in the family when you die.” I just wanted to make sure there was no confusion about it. 

I wonder where these watches come from before they get to eBay. I suspect they stop working, and go to the back of a drawer for decades, and then to a garage sale. Your dad’s CB watch is very repairable, and no matter how well worn, will clean up really well. I hope you keep it. 

I just ordered a tan leather band for my Yachtmaster...

yacht-master-on-vegetable-tanned-leather

The band I really want, but couldn't find (my skills on searches are not optimal), is this...

ymcro2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If anyone here does have the skills or a line on where I might purchase such a band I'd be most appreciative.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I just ordered a tan leather band for my Yachtmaster...

yacht-master-on-vegetable-tanned-leather

The band I really want, but couldn't find (my skills on searches are not optimal), is this...

ymcro2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If anyone here does have the skills or a line on where I might purchase such a band I'd be most appreciative.

croc leather with a deployment clasp ?  Shouldn't be to hard to find. You need the lug size of course.  That's one of my favorite straps. I have one on a Baume and Mercier I bought back in 2000.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes on the value. He replaced the band on it to a “stretchy” bracelet type band 25+ years ago because he wore it attending UT functions and etc. I told him to stop wearing it when I got out of school and bought him a Citizen/Seiko Longhorn watch like 20+ years ago.

He’s nearing 80 as we speak, but he wears his “T” ring every day, unless he’s doing yard-work. His “T” ring came from Coach Royal and just about means more to him than anything else left in his life. I’m 50+ already and one day it’ll be mine for safe keeping!

1 hour ago, statsman said:

That is awesome! I collect these watches, and have no familial connection like you. My dad, however, did win a gold medal in the ‘71 Pan Am games (Free Pistol). He’s getting up there, and have had the conversation with him, “You know, Dad, the Pan Am gold medal needs to stay in the family when you die.” I just wanted to make sure there was no confusion about it. 

I wonder where these watches come from before they get to eBay. I suspect they stop working, and go to the back of a drawer for decades, and then to a garage sale. Your dad’s CB watch is very repairable, and no matter how well worn, will clean up really well. I hope you keep it. 

MIL has a gold from the Pan Am games.  Would have an Olympic gold if we didn’t boycott in 1980.