Muhammad Ali by Ken Burns

TonyTexas

Burns's upcoming slate of films/series looks amazing

• Ali (2021, with Sarah Burns and David McMahon)
  • Benjamin Franklin (2022)
  • The Holocaust & the United States (working title) (2023, with Lynn Novick and Sarah Botstein)
  • The American Buffalo (2024)
  • Leonardo da Vinci (2025)
  • The American Revolution (2025)
  • LBJ & the Great Society (2027, with Lynn Novick)
  • From Emancipation to Exodus (working title, also called The History of Reconstruction) (TBA)
  • Winston Churchill (TBA)
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

• The Holocaust & the United States (working title) (2023, with Lynn Novick and Sarah Botstein)
  • From Emancipation to Exodus (working title, also called The History of Reconstruction) (TBA)

Damn they all sound great.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's finally branching outside of US History. That'll be interesting.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, atomheartbevo said:

It's a shame we'll all be dead by 2025

5 hours ago, TxEx84 said:

A little weird that Peter Coyote isn't the narrator.  Burns and Coyote go together like aggy and sheep.  

Not really. Keith David has been the narrator for several Ken Burns’ docs, especially blackcentric ones like Jazz, Jack Johnson and Jackie Robinson. 

So far it really hasn’t told me much about Ali that I didn’t already know. Nice compilation of old film and video. The biggest revelation for me was that Don King was sent to prison for killing a guy. I knew he was dirty as fuck and cheated his boxers but I didn’t know he was a murderer...and only served four years for it. What a gigantic sleazeball. 

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So far it really hasn’t told me much about Ali that I didn’t already know. Nice compilation of old film and video. The biggest revelation for me was that Don King was sent to prison for killing a guy. I knew he was dirty as fuck and cheated his boxers but I didn’t know he was a murderer...and only served four years for it. What a gigantic sleazeball. 

They get a little more into the weeds on the conflict that developed within the black community in regards to his conversion to Islam.   The Civil Rights groups that were more mainstream and/or aligned with various Christian denominations treated him as radioactive.    Of course that kind of diminished as the 60s later turned into the decade as its recorded in the history books today. 

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They get a little more into the weeds on the conflict that developed within the black community in regards to his conversion to Islam.   The Civil Rights groups that were more mainstream and/or aligned with various Christian denominations treated him as radioactive.    Of course that kind of diminished as the 60s later turned into the decade as its recorded in the history books today. 

How exactly does that relate to what I posted?

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, the biggest scum.   Kings puts on a charity fight with Ali for a hospital.   Hospital sees almost nothing out of it.    I also like how King got Foreman to sign 3 blank pieces of paper and then inserted contractual language for the Ali fight on those 3 pages.   George was sideways at that time with monetary  issues but another example of the sleaze that King majored in.

Good stuff all around. Disappointed that they haven't had at least piece dedicated to Ali and Cossell. The latter was one of the first to recognize Ali's chosen names and was thus granted much greater access and became a mouthpiece of sorts.  Entertaining relationship but also a very important one.  As noted above you couldn't have one without the other.   Perhaps we will see more dedicated to this before the end of the doc.

Edited by Wally Pryor

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, the biggest scum.   Kings puts on a charity fight with Ali for a hospital.   Hospital sees almost nothing out of it.    I also like how King got Foreman to sign 3 blank pieces of paper and then inserted contractual language for the Ali fight on those 3 pages.   George was sideways at that time with monetary  issues but another example of the sleaze that King majored in.

Good stuff all around. Disappointed that they haven't had at least piece dedicated to Ali and Cossell. The latter was one of the first to recognize Ali's chosen names and was thus granted much greater access and became a mouthpiece of sorts.  Entertaining relationship but also a very important one.  As noted above you couldn't have one without the other.   Perhaps we will see more dedicated to this before the end of the doc.

I thought the Ali - Cosell relationship was foreshadowed in the second episode so I assume that’s going to be expanded upon soon. 

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Perhaps / hope so.

Well, I guess I was wrong. I dozed off for some of the last episode so if they covered it then I missed it. But his loudmouth media presence never seemed to be much of a part of Burns’ telling of his story. It was to a certain extent but he was so bombastic and over-the-top braggadocios back in his day. I figured there’d be some focus on that. Again, if there was then I slept through it. 

Cossell and Ali had one of / the most unique media / athlete relationships in sports history.  Both were loudmouths and that's part of what made them entertaining, but that's just a fragment of the story.  The fact that Cossell, as a white reporter, was able to work his way into the inner circle of the most famous athlete who has ever lived deserved its own segment.  

I really enjoyed the documentary overall but didn't need to be told 5 or 6 times that Ali was unfaithful and a womanizer. I got it the second time. Instead, 5 minutes in the span of an 8+ hour documentary would have been reasonable to expand upon the unique and important roles that Cossell and Ali played in each others’ profession, and lives.  You can't tell the story of Ali without telling the story of he and Cossell. That's a whiff on the part of Burns.