Surly’s list of Dallas top 25 restaurants

PorscheGuy

30 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'll allow that Highland Park Village Mi Cocina if only for the people watching and the Mambo Taxis.  (Limit 2, allegedly!)

I’ve been there a bunch.  I get why it’s on his list.  Just not my thing these days.  The best thing about these lists is when you see a place you have never been and it pops up on several people’s list.  I’ve seen more than 10 places I need to try on this thread.

This was just my personal list/vote. Not the final list. There are a few I left off that should probably be on the list but I have not been to yet.

And yes, pecan lodge was more a nostalgic pick and I have not been back in a few years. MiCo HP is more for the scene and the drinks then saying it’s the best TexMex in Dallas. Though, it’s hard to say it’s not consistent and above average with generally really good service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was just my personal list/vote. Not the final list. There are a few I left off that should probably be on the list but I have not been to yet.

And yes, pecan lodge was more a nostalgic pick and I have not been back in a few years. MiCo HP is more for the scene and the drinks then saying it’s the best TexMex in Dallas. Though, it’s hard to say it’s not consistent and above average with generally really good service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t been to the HP Mico in years but I can’t imagine the food or drinks compare to e-Bar.

Mine in alphabetical:

Al Biernat's

Boulevardier

Cattleack

Drake's

E Bar

Fachini

Fearing’s

Gemma

Hudson House

Knife

Loro

Lucia

Meddlesome Moth

Monarch

Neighborhood Services

Nobu

Pappas Bros.

Revolver Taco Lounge

Royal China

Saint Ann’s

Terry Black's

The Charles

Town Hearth

Uchi

Yard Bird

My list:

Al Biernat's

Boulevardier

Breadwinners

Cane Rosso

Cattleack

Gemma

Goodfriend

Hudson House

Hutchin’s

Jimmy's

Lucia

Lupe Tortilla

Maple & Motor

Mariano’s

Nate’s

Neighborhood Services

Ojeda’s

R+D Kitchen

Rex’s

Shinsei

Sprezza

St. Martin

Town Hearth

Truluck’s

Uchi

On 10/20/2021 at 10:56 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

I'll allow that Highland Park Village Mi Cocina if only for the people watching and the Mambo Taxis.  (Limit 2, allegedly!)

Texas Monthly dropped Pecan Lodge this week. Didn't even make the Top 50. The food is only average at Mi Cocina. The mambos and scene are fantastic.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:56 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

On 10/21/2021 at 12:00 PM, PorscheGuy said:

MiCo HP is more for the scene and the drinks then saying it’s the best TexMex in Dallas. Though, it’s hard to say it’s not consistent and above average with generally really good service.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:02 PM, DDD Dad said:

I haven’t been to the HP Mico in years but I can’t imagine the food or drinks compare to e-Bar.

I had originally nominated MiCo HPV, but later dropped it as I didn't really think it would be somewhere I would go if it weren't close to me. I was trying to nominate places I would actually go (at least somewhat) out of my way to try. Seems like more of a neighborhood place to me and if I really ever felt like Mi Cocina, I'd probably just go to whatever one was closest to me. But, yeah that location is good people watching, consistent, good TexMex food, drinks and great service.

And that whole "limit 2" thing on the Mambo Taxi is bullshit. It used to be that way like 20 years ago, back when it was the OG. But now it's just a solid margarita. And just about every texmex joint in town has knocked it off, they just call it something else. Like "swirl margarita" or "margarita sangria" or whatever.

However...I think the OG super-strong one might be back, at Doce Mesas around Knox Henderson. They call it "The Mico (mambo king)" and since it's his joint and I'm pretty sure he invented the original, it would make sense. Anyway, I had 3 last time I was there and was pretty damn sloshy. Not sure if it's because I just hadn't eaten much before I got there or if they are WAY stronger than the mambo taxi at Mi Concina, but I know I felt it A LOT more than I do 3 mambo taxis at MiCo.

For you Rapscallion’rs, check out their Wed special for steak and oysters on HH. Had the flank steak this weekend and damn good. Place has never let me down but a little worrying at how many open tables they had free on a Friday night at 7.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:58 AM, Landomatic said:

I had originally nominated MiCo HPV, but later dropped it as I didn't really think it would be somewhere I would go if it weren't close to me. I was trying to nominate places I would actually go (at least somewhat) out of my way to try. Seems like more of a neighborhood place to me and if I really ever felt like Mi Cocina, I'd probably just go to whatever one was closest to me.

Yeah, on this list I probably frequent Mariano's and MiCo (Lake Highlands) the most but couldn't justify them as a "top 25" place.   They are both great for what they are but I'm not paying a sitter to go eat there.

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, on this list I probably frequent Mariano's and MiCo (Lake Highlands) the most but couldn't justify them as a "top 25" place.   They are both great for what they are but I'm not paying a sitter to go eat there.

Mariano’s beef fajitas are really good.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Also dig their blackened chicken verde.  Salsas are great and Queso above average.  It's probably my favorite basic tex mex and definitely our most frequent "to go" order.  Mico preferable for margs/nachos happy hour in the bar or patio.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:38 AM, conVINCEd said:

On 10/27/2021 at 8:37 AM, Skipper said:

Also dig their blackened chicken verde.  Salsas are great and Queso above average.  It's probably my favorite basic tex mex and definitely our most frequent "to go" order.  Mico preferable for margs/nachos happy hour in the bar or patio.

Mariano's is solid AF. I dig it. I also like Mariano. The dude invented the frozen margarita machine after all. I got to play golf with him and my ex-FIL at Preston Trail many years ago. He's a goddamn riot. He was later booted out of PT for allegedly calling one of the caddies the N-word. Allegedly.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, C-Man said:

Mariano's is solid AF. I dig it. I also like Mariano. The dude invented the frozen margarita machine after all. I got to play golf with him and my ex-FIL at Preston Trail many years ago. He's a goddamn riot. He was later booted out of PT for allegedly calling one of the caddies the N-word. Allegedly.

I wasn’t aware that was frowned upon at Preston Trail.  My brief experience there many years ago would lead me to believe that it is actually encouraged.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I wasn’t aware that was frowned upon at Preston Trail.  My brief experience there many years ago would lead me to believe that it is actually encouraged.

It probably didn't help that Mariano isn't a white feller.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Probably not.  A little surprised they let him in to begin with.  /csb/ Played 18 with Mickey Mantle there when I was a teenager. /csb/

You don't need to /csb playing golf with Mickey fucking Mantle.

"/csb Jennifer Lawrence gave me a blowjob in Vegas one time /csb"

• Haha 1

This has kinda turned into catch all thread so w/e.

National Anthem this weekend, cool lively spot, great food and service. Not crazy overpriced. We Went heavy seafood for the night Shrimps, fried oysters, and halibut. All of it was finish last bite good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

National Anthem this weekend, cool lively spot, great food and service. Not crazy overpriced. We Went heavy seafood for the night Shrimps, fried oysters, and halibut. All of it was finish last bite good.

Have been wanting to try that place. Will have to get there soon.

My 25 

Al Biernat's
Cane Rosso
Carbone’s
Cattleack
Eddie V’s
Gemma
Haystack
Hutchins
Jimmy's
Katy Trail Ice House
Khao Noodle Shop
Knife
Meso Maya
Oishii
Ozona Grill
Pappas Bros.
Petra and the Beast
Rapscallion
Royal China
Tei-An
Terry Black's
The Charles
Truck Yard
Uchi
Velvet Taco

On 10/31/2021 at 9:05 AM, bluto said:

Looks just like all his other restaurants. His schtick has gotten pretty stale.

12 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Tell us you live in far north dallas / plano without telling us

Have lived in Dallas since 1974, except when I was attending UT and then law school.

The Significant Other lives way the hell up here. I moved in with her 3 years ago. The first time in my life I have lived north of LBJ. Took a LONG TIME to get used to.

I lived around Preston and Forest for a long time. Walking distance to the original Mi Cocina. I went there the first week it was open ... I think they had 12 tables. And back then, the Mambo Taxis were the real deal.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Umm, most of the this top 25 is tell us you grew up/live in the Park cities without telling us you grew up/live in the Park cities.

That, or could be that the best restaurants in Dallas are naturally located where the largest population combined with the highest discretionary income happen to reside?

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Just had it for lunch with the missus today. I love it. We live about 2 minutes away from there and go often. It's great.

Place on lovers over toward you with the good chicken right? How the hell do we never go there? Much more importantly…how the fuck do we not see y’all more? Need to fix that

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree with a lot of these lists and opinions. Meridian is indeed solid and was packed solid several Saturdays ago - lots of action sitting and standing at the bar also. We split the swordfish and had a bunch of small plates, wine, drinks, and it was reflected by the bill for sure.

Across the street is a sports bar Over Under which was pretty good from the handful of times I've been. They are still working out service kinks but that's not unique to them. Good rooftop, lots of TVs. Strangely, the wedge salad there is really, really good. Good enough for me to go for lunch on a weekend when no major sports were on. Free arcade games on 2nd level so basically pointed the kids to them and forgot about em. Except when I had to whip the boy a few times on Street Fighter II. Guile's still got it.

Not sure if it was on the 'brunch' list but we hit up Dream Cafe a few weekends each month for brunch and never have had a bad time. And for a small taco lunch, I prefer Resident to just about anywhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 1