College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

You cannot be fucking serious.  Shaka's not winning because of culture fit????

Yeah. Culturally, he fits at a program that gets under recruited talent and gets them to bust their asses. Not at a culture where he is expected to recruit top tier talent. Players who aren’t as talented play well together when they are playing with a chip on their shoulder. That’s the culture he fits into. Not one where the talent is so high players expect to win just by showing up. He doesn’t fit that. Not a stretch to say at all. What did you think I meant that because he is black he can’t coach successfully at UT?

39 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Yeah. Culturally, he fits at a program that gets under recruited talent and gets them to bust their asses. Not at a culture where he is expected to recruit top tier talent. Players who aren’t as talented play well together when they are playing with a chip on their shoulder. That’s the culture he fits into. Not one where the talent is so high players expect to win just by showing up. He doesn’t fit that. Not a stretch to say at all. What did you think I meant that because he is black he can’t coach successfully at UT?

So what you are saying is the Bill Self wins by recruiting talent so high that they win just by showing up? 

45 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I don’t think culture has anything to do with it. 

Coaching does.

Great coaches elevate players. Shaka doesn’t seem great.

49 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

You are out over your skis on this take Jhawk...

Shaka has done a poor job coaching and developing his players at Texas.  He's been given ample support to succeed...... Shaka is entirely responsible for his failures at Texas.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I had no idea what you meant because somehow you managed to pin Shaka's lack of success on something other than the fact that he's an awful coach.  It's like you haven't seen a single Texas game over the last four seasons.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rickyspub said:

So what you are saying is the Bill Self wins by recruiting talent so high that they win just by showing up? 

Self wins because he is, besides being a great Xs and Os coach, largely good at dealing with players with that level of talent, integrating them into winning team strategies, and keeping egos in check. I have neither seen nor heard a single thing from Shaka Smart, ever, that leads me to believe he has any of these qualities.

That said, I also think Jhawk is wrong about Shaka needing a blue collar environment to win. He is not Chris Beard. He has a huge ego and has largely coasted on the hard work of other people for all of his "accomplishments". I'm not sure he could ever build a successful program anywhere on his own skill and merit. In fact, I'm quite sure he couldn't.

38 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Self wins because he is, besides being a great Xs and Os coach, largely good at dealing with players with that level of talent, integrating them into winning team strategies, and keeping egos in check. I have neither seen nor heard a single thing from Shaka Smart, ever, that leads me to believe he has any of these qualities.

That said, I also think Jhawk is wrong about Shaka needing a blue collar environment to win. He is not Chris Beard. He has a huge ego and has largely coasted on the hard work of other people for all of his "accomplishments". I'm not sure he could ever build a successful program anywhere on his own skill and merit. In fact, I'm quite sure he couldn't.

What does this even mean?!?!

On 3/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, 'stache said:

Yeah, he has a few years to get his guys in place. If we miss the tourney next year there will be some discontent. If he misses the year after that the seat will get hot real quick but he'll get another year. If we miss after that, I would hope we'd be ready to move on. An exception will be if he ends up having to dump a bunch of players again next year for being fuck ups, in which case the seat will get hot quick, since they'll be his guys. I personally think he will be highly successful but I've been fooled before. 

I forgot how fucked up the OkState basketball program was after Underwood left

I bet that dumb ass wishes he was at OkState getting a couple of more years to clean up the TJ Ford fiasco

instead he is winning 12 games at Illinois.....that shit has to hurt

Edited by ButtFumble

3 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Seems pretty clear to me: he thinks a lot of himself but has never actually accomplished all that much.  If you think such people don't exist, check out the current occupant of the White House.

There's a cloak room around here somewhere; find it. 

3 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Seems pretty clear to me: he thinks a lot of himself but has never actually accomplished all that much.  If you think such people don't exist, check out the current occupant of the White House.

An example of him displaying his "huge ego" and how "he coasted on others' accomplishments" would suffice. 

47 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I bet that dumb ass wishes he was at OkState getting a couple of more years to clean up the TJ Ford fiasco

Kinda threw me.... Does Travis Ford have a middle initial of J ?

9 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Several posters think they know shaka personally or they have a PhD in psychology 

Agree its a stretch to analyze a coach from afar, but the paycheck vs the results vs the recruiting class rankings seems to point toward------> loser.

23 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

there's a lotta stuff you can say about Trump, Obama, Bush, etc, but I think once they take the Oath of Office of the President of the United States, saying they've "never actually accomplished all that much" is pretty much retard-level idiocy.

On 3/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, maninblack said:

Fred Hoiberg is coaching at...Nebraska. Jesus titty fucking Christ

It's disgusting.  It will be hard for me to ever give a rip about Hoiberg again.  I want Nebraska to lose every game they play in every sport, ever.

20 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

He got his salary tripled and he doesn't have to live in Stilwater, he's probably pretty alright with the decision.

5 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

re: Shaka success at VCU. I'm too lazy to go find it, but he wasn't that successful there. He had one good run in a bracket that imploded. He was the flavor of the day. 

Texas was in such a terrible place at the time he was hired

everyone already knew patterson was a fuck head (and insiders probably knew he was a goner), there was so much shit to clean up after Dodds and no one knew how that was going to wash out especially with a dick brain for an AD, and patterson was the type of asshole that did not want to make the easy, simple hire he wanted to trick shit up or try and make some type of "deal" or make the amazing hire no one expected and he just fucked things up with candidates that wanted no part of his bullshit

by the time he got around to realizing that he needed to just hire one of the best candidates those candidates were like "nope" and wanted nothing to do with that shit

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's disgusting.  It will be hard for me to ever give a rip about Hoiberg again.  I want Nebraska to lose every game they play in every sport, ever.

Baffling, too. He could have had a better job; he could have sat around just jackin' it for another year and waited to see what else opened up. Instead he took a job 200 miles from any reasonable source of talent, at a program that hasn't won its conference since 1950 and has never been in the Sweet 16-- in fact has never even won a single NCAA Tournament game, ever. 

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Baffling, too. He could have had a better job; he could have sat around just jackin' it for another year and waited to see what else opened up. Instead he took a job 200 miles from any reasonable source of talent, at a program that hasn't won its conference since 1950 and has never been in the Sweet 16-- in fact has never even won a single NCAA Tournament game, ever. 

They threw a fuck ton of money at him.  At this point I don't really think Fred gives a shit how well he does as long as the check cashes.  As you pointed out, if he gets to the Round of 32, he's the greatest coach in school history.

I almost think that there's part of him that wants to give the bird to our fanbase for being so territorial and psycho about him, too. 

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They threw a fuck ton of money at him. 

It doesn't seem like that although maybe I'm not factoring in his Bulls compensation-- he's getting between $3m and $4m a year. That to me isn't Jimbo Fisher @ A&M money, but if as you say he's just gettin dem checks at this point, I guess it makes sense. 

36 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That is a shocking statistic, had no idea. Just googled it and they're the only P-5 team to never win a tourney game. Northwestern was the only other school until a few years ago.

Doesn't he have family there? My understanding is he liked Ames and it was a great environment for his kids, whom I believe are out of hs. So it looks like he's a guy that likes a smaller environment,, he recruits juco so screw the talent base. If there is any talent, Neb. is like LSU, instate kids go there. Finally he's gonna mess with the Big 10 and that's great.

Edited by Nolacycling

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

It doesn't seem like that although maybe I'm not factoring in his Bulls compensation-- he's getting between $3m and $4m a year. That to me isn't Jimbo Fisher @ A&M money, but if as you say he's just gettin dem checks at this point, I guess it makes sense. 

Puts him in the Top 10 of college basketball coaching salaries. I think he is just behind Huggin's $3.7M, which slots him in at number 8 currently, supposedly just ahead of what Buzz Williams is going to get from aggy, assuming it is right at the rumored $3.5M. I am going to bet Beard gets another extension that puts him in this range and ups his buyout again.

11 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Puts him in the Top 10 of college basketball coaching salaries.

yeah but it's the worst job in 1-A and it's not like they threw Calipari/Kryzyzewski money at him

I'm just surprised is all. If you think of salaries on a curve, what he's getting paid to coach there doesn't seem like enough. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

there's a lotta stuff you can say about Trump, Obama, Bush, etc, but I think once they take the Oath of Office of the President of the United States, saying they've "never actually accomplished all that much" is pretty much retard-level idiocy.

lol.  Trump accomplished being famous.  That's about it.  I won't say more lest I get scolded again for talking politics outside the CR.

3 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Doesn't he have family there? My understanding is he liked Ames and it was a great environment for his kids, whom I believe are out of hs. So it looks like he's a guy that likes a smaller environment,, he recruits juco so screw the talent base. If there is any talent, Neb. is like LSU, instate kids go there. Finally he's gonna mess with the Big 10 and that's great.

He was born there, and his grandpa was the Neb coach back in the 50's-60's, or something like that.

I don't think that really matters that much to him, and is more of a nice side story.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He was born there, and his grandpa was the Neb coach back in the 50's-60's, or something like that.

I don't think that really matters that much to him, and is more of a nice side story.

Fred might end up being one of the better coaches in the B10 soon..... Izzo is 64 and Beilein is 66 so both could retire in a few years.  

10 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Yes, basketball and I said if. We recruited Matt Chapman(?) from there .

In state talent generally goes to Creighton. Heiman was the first instate scholarship Nebraska has signed since the early Barry Collier years this last year. 

I’m sure aggy could outbid if they wanted.

Edit:  Screenshot didn't work.

"Kentucky offers lifetime contract to John Calipari to fend off interest from UCLA. He made $9.2 million this season"

Edited by 'stache

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition