This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

There is a weird inconsistency to Sark coached teams. Every few games the offense grinds to a halt and the defense allows long, sustained life sucking drives all game long.

And the other team just seems to hammer away at the defense, being physical and mixing up the pass and run. It’s the same weird pattern over and over. The games look similar. No shootout losses. No wipeout losses. Just listless farts in the wind. 

It’s perfectly consistent when you realize that the team is run by a middling HC.

32 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Most reasonable Surly folk had us at 8 or 9 wins, it just sucks to be right about it. That being said, there has been a decent amount of improvement. Recruiting is where it needs to be, we just need to see development follow. That’s where Herman and Strong lacked.

10 wins and a conference championship appearance is the standard next year. Anything less than that and it’s hot seat time. Miss a bowl game and he’s out. 

He played the wrong rb all night. He kept forcing the ball to a wr who doesn't care. What on earth makes you think he might turn this around? He is a mediocre head coach. 

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

Mack Brown was a vastly superior HC.

VASTLY.

Still is.  Look at his young QB and looks at Sarks.  Look at his initial build of a dogshit UNC team.  He got lazy here.  100%.  But every subsequent coach brought in here has been worse in every way.  

We forget, but Mack revolutionized early recruiting.  It was always the signing day build-up.  Not with Mack.  He'd have his class stacked and racked and already be working on the next.  It's what sent RC packing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Mack Brown was a vastly superior HC.

VASTLY.

Let’s presume that’s true. 

He was still Coach February for a reason, but eventually that paid off in being able to steamroll most teams, even on off days. Because he had the players and his record improved as he got better ones. That’s not HOPE, that’s how sports overwhelmingly work. 

That said, let’s not memoryhole all the stuff about how he was an incompetent who won by amassing more talent, then failing against somewhat evenly matched teams at FSU and OU. For all his coaching prowess, VY got him over the top, not his strategic acumen.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

He was still Coach February for a reason, but eventually that paid off in being able to steamroll most teams, even on off days. Because he had the players and his record improved as he got better ones. That’s not HOPE, that’s how sports overwhelmingly work. 

That said, let’s not memoryhole all the stuff about how he was an incompetent who won by amassing more talent, then failing against somewhat evenly matched teams at FSU and OU. For all his coaching prowess, VY got him over the top, not his strategic acumen.  

Weve done this a bunch of times. Mack Brown was winning 10 games at a BASKETBALL SCHOOL WITHOUT NIL in a conference dominated by Bobby Bowden.

Sark has NEVER won 10 games despite coaching against such giants of coaching as Sonny Dykes and Jeff Gundy. I guess I shouldn’t forget the coaches like *whoever those guys he coached against in the Pac12 were*.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

And none of that changes that his worst season here (before he quit) would be Sarks career best.

They aren’t comparable at all

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He didn't force the ball to shit. When a dude is wide ass open you throw him the football. This isn't daddy ball where the QB only throws to the coaches son.

Do you think plays are designed without primary and secondary options?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, austintiger said:

He played the wrong rb all night.

Our longest carry of the night was by Quinn Ewers for 13 yards. The longest RB carry was 7 yards by Keilan Robinson. It was obvious from the opening whistle that the gameplan centered around throwing the ball (which we did quite effectively). Outside of one short yardage run where we were in tempo to try to pick up a quick first down, the carries were equal with both being more involved in the passing game.

Weve done this a bunch of times. Mack Brown was winning 10 games at a BASKETBALL SCHOOL WITHOUT NIL in a conference dominated by Bobby Bowden.

Sark has NEVER won 10 games.

Because he had the players — and sent them to the NFL — not because he was some chessmaster. As a college HC, which includes getting the players, he was really good. And he got better as a coach the better his talent level. This is what the FATE approach above falsely puts in the HOPE category. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Our longest carry of the night was by Quinn Ewers for 13 yards. The longest RB carry was 7 yards by Keilan Robinson. It was obvious from the opening whistle that the gameplan centered around throwing the ball (which we did quite effectively). Outside of one short yardage run where we were in tempo to try to pick up a quick first down, the carries were equal with both being more involved in the passing game.

The running game was implemented around Bijan/Rojo's attributes.  That's not who was playing.  That's what made me crazy.  Get the back's the ball in space.  Don't pound them up the GD middle.  

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

So are you saying we shouldn't throw the ball to Worthy when he's open just because you don't like his body language?

After a few key drops.....yeah

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

So are you saying we shouldn't throw the ball to Worthy when he's open just because you don't like his body language?

I am saying we should stop calling plays with him as the primary option, especially downfield, unless we are just hoping he learns to play WR. Maybe throw it to someone who catches the ball. Worthy has like double the targets Whittington has this year. That’s fucking moronic 

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

He needs a dynamic OC that can manage the game

tenor-105413247.gif.5f45195030c265370eef8522b4b05c82.gif

(Playcalling was not the issue last night. If we simply catch passes that hit us in the chest we have over 500 yards of offense and over 30 points)

Get the back's the ball in space.

We did. 8 catches for about 10 yards a catch combined for Brooks and Robinson.

• Hook 'Em 2

The running game was implemented around Bijan/Rojo's attributes.  That's not who was playing.  That's what made me crazy.  Get the back's the ball in space.  Don't pound them up the GD middle.  

After a few key drops.....yeah

Utilizing your talent in the way it’s most effective is apparently an insane proposition 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Because he had the players — and sent them to the NFL — not because he was some chessmaster. As a college HC, which includes getting the players, he was really good. And he got better as a coach the better his talent level. This is what the FATE approach above falsely puts in the HOPE category. 

Mack did it over and over (10 wins). Sark never has.

denigrate Mack all you want, the evidence is clear, he was a VASTLY better HC than Sark is.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

(Playcalling was not the issue last night. If we simply catch passes that hit us in the chest we have over 500 yards of offense and over 30 points)

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And yet other teams manage this.  We need a change.  We're Shaq practicing free throws with the same fucked up motion.  

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

And none of that changes that his worst season here (before he quit) would be Sarks career best.

They aren’t comparable at all

Do you think plays are designed without primary and secondary options?

Convenient that you limit it to “here” and not where he had to build on ashes. 

Brown showed up with a healthy Hampton and Rogers and a Heisman back. 

But, sure, I get it. Let’s look back at Brown through burnt orange glasses and forget that he was getting the same kind of grief in real time. 

Even granting Brown is a better coach, that doesn’t change the fact that he, too, had to build a roster before Texas started rolling for real. 

On 12/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

The evidence of widespread competence and improvement is why this doesn’t look like Strong or Herman. 

Everyone on this board was fully bought in and sucking off Herman during and following the Sugar Bowl season.  I can buy Sark improving the roster after Herman cratered it, but there's still a lot of red flags regarding Sark's ability to maximize and deploy his currently available resources in a manner that translates to wins.  I could see his tenure having a similar trajectory to Strong's where things may be improving under the surface but he just can't get out of his own way enough to win at the level required to keep from being fired.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Convenient that you limit it to “here” and not where he had to build on ashes. 

Brown showed up with a healthy Hampton and Rogers and a Heisman back. 

But, sure, I get it. Let’s look back at Brown through burnt orange glasses and forget that he was getting the same kind of grief in real time. 

Even granting Brown is a better coach, that doesn’t change the fact that he, too, had to build a roster before Texas started rolling for real. 

I’m not going to argue with you here. This is real stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

Mack did it over and over (10 wins). Sark never has.

denigrate Mack all you want, the evidence is clear, he was a VASTLY better HC than Sark is.

Denigrate him? I said he was really good. 

I’ll leave you to your talking points since you can’t be bothered to read what I actually wrote..

7 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Denigrate him? I said he was really good. 

I’ll leave you to your talking points since you can’t be bothered to read what I actually wrote..

Mack is Texas 2nd best HC of all time. “Real good” IS denigrating him.

Lol your neg has no power here.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Herman was an idiot and had the personality of decaying road kill. but even he was a better coach than Sark. 

He was pretty good at winning with what he had available (also didn't hurt to have a talented, big game QB), but was horrible at roster management and ultimately left the program in a worse place than Strong.  I guess with CFB your head coach needs to be both a good GM and a good game day coach.   Herman was good at the latter but not the former and Sark may be the reverse.

Edited by Starfleet Command

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

Everyone on this board was fully bought in and sucking off Herman during and following the Sugar Bowl season.  I can buy Sark improving the roster after Herman cratered it, but there's still a lot of red flags regarding Sark's ability to maximize and deploy his currently available resources in a manner that translates to wins.  I could see his tenure having a similar trajectory to Strong's where things may be improving under the surface but he just can't get out of his own way enough to win at the level required to keep from being fired.

Yeah, there are red flags. Not finishing games. Probably getting tunnel vision with play calling and not seeing the bigger game picture. Im not claiming he’s definitely the answer, let alone perfect. But he clearly has a plan and is recruiting to it and has made progress. 

If we want to complain that Texas should’ve beaten Tech and Oklahoma State, sure that’s valid. It’ also valid that the teams lacked sufficient experienced and talented OL guys, edge guys, and really secondary guys. 

Texas is in better shape today than when Sarkisian stepped on campus. Maybe that doesn’t continue or maybe it does, but it’s really hard to watch how this team plays and not see improvement.

• Hook 'Em 9

He was pretty good at winning with what he had available (also didn't hurt to have a talented, big game QB), but was horrible at roster management and ultimately left the program in a worse place than Strong.  I guess with CFB your head coach needs to be both a good GM and a good game day coach.   Herman was good at the latter but not the former and Sark may be the reverse.

I think that’s a fair assessment of both coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Texas is in better shape today than when Sarkisian stepped on campus. Maybe that doesn’t continue or maybe it does, but it’s really hard to watch how this team plays and not see improvement.

Are we?

Herman's last season was 7-3, and we probably lost 3 wins to Covid.  We likely would have been 10-3, with two 10-win seasons out of the last three.

I don't think 13-12 over the last two years is better than that.

This team has way too much talent to barely be over .500.  Even with the deficiencies in the secondary and the O line, we should be able to line up and finish wins against Tech and Okie St, because whatever holes we have, they have more.  And I'm too depressed to go look up all the games we should've won last year.

I mean, are we better compared to the long ass losing streak last year?  I guess.  But I'm not gonna give Sark a lot of high fives for slight improvement over his own disaster.

Bottom line: there are a shit ton of coaches who have at least 15 wins with our roster and schedule the last two year, and a handful who have 20, and Sark has 13.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 6

Just now, TexArcher said:

Are we?

Herman's last season was 7-3, and we lost 3 easy wins due to Covid.  We very likely would have been 10-3, with two 10-win seasons out of the last three.

I don't think 13-12 over the last two years is better than that.

This team has way too much talent to barely be over .500.  Even with the deficiencies in the secondary and the O line, we should be able to line up and finish wins against Tech and Okie St, because whatever holes we have, they have more.  And I'm too depressed to go look up all the games we should've won last year.

I mean, are we better compared to the long ass losing streak last year?  I guess.  But I'm not gonna give Sark a lot of high fives for slight improvement over his own disaster.

Bottom line: there are a shit ton of coaches who have at least 15 wins with our roster and schedule the last two year, and a handful who have 20, and Sark has 13.

Yeah, I think we are. And I already said complaining about those two games was valid. 

If you don’t see the culturally rotten roster of gutless wonders that was here for Sarkisian — Bo Davis’ bus rant — then we’re just starting from wildly different premises. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah, I think we are. And I already said complaining about those two games was valid. 

If you don’t see the culturally rotten roster of gutless wonders that was here for Sarkisian — Bo Davis’ bus rant — then we’re just starting from wildly different premises. 

No, I do see that issue, to a point, with some guys.

But Herman was winning more games with those same guys.  I'm just not buying that "the cupboard was bare" or "the culture was rotten" when Sark got here.  Not when we were damn near coming off two 10-win seasons in the last three.  Not when we had talent and leaders like Bijan and Roschon.

I want Sark to be the guy, don't get me wrong.  I just don't see it.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

No, I do.

But Herman was winning more games with those same guys.  I'm just not buying that "the cupboard was bare" or "the culture was rotten" when Sark got here.  Not when we were damn near coming off two 10-win seasons in the last three.  

I want Sark to be the guy, don't get me wrong.  I just don't see it.

If you’re not buying that the culture was rotten then we’ve probably reached as much agreement as we’re going to. 

Edit: I’m not saying he’s sure to be rhe guy. I’m saying that I haven’t already ruled it out. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

And Herman after 7-3 and that includes 3 likely wins that were cancelled because of covid. 

Herman would have crashed hard last year though.  To his credit Texas was a tough, physical team during his tenure but I think he's dependent on having a physical QB who can play hero ball and he wouldn't have had that last year.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If you’re not buying that the culture was rotten then we’ve probably reached as much agreement as we’re going to. 

Edit: I’m not saying he’s sure to be rhe guy. I’m saying that I haven’t already ruled it out. 

If herman was going 7-3 with a shitty culture and coke problem, what does that tell you about sark at 5-7

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Herman would have crashed hard last year though.  To his credit Texas was a tough, physical team during his tenure but I think he's dependent on having a physical QB who can play hero ball and he wouldn't have had that last year.  

And, with the apparent exception of Strong, we like to gloss over the real time shit former coaches were getting for their awful play calling, terrible game management, misuse of the QB, etc. and imagine how much better Texas would be if we had them rather than the current guy. 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

If herman was going 7-3 with a shitty culture and coke problem, what does that tell you about sark at 5-7

It tells me that Ehlinger as battering ram gets better results than Card and Thompson as passers. 

• Hook 'Em 4

re: red flags....how come this? 

I can sit on my couch and not watch even half the games but because of watching the OSU game live and reading all of you internet experts, I can absolutely know 98%+ that Xavier Worthy cannot see the ball into his hands on a long pass, AND tell someone in the room last night the cat cannot see and NOT be surprised in the slightest when Worthy drops 2 long passes in a row?????????!!!!!!!!

And the coaches that are paid millions of dollars cannot address this situation???????

Someone please try to address this.  Hyperbole, but It appears they do not want to win games.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, troph said:

Sark needs more sugar and caffeine ? 

Everybody Loves Raymond Uhm GIF by TV Land

Sheryl Lee Ralph No GIF by ABC Network

Remember when the sarkolytes were screaming “where the haters at now?”   Pretty much after the Kansas and baylor wins.  Maybe those teams actually weren’t that good or are they, like is, just using bowl games as meaningless exhibitions

• Hook 'Em 2