NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I typically don't advocate Horn-on-Horn violence, but when I do, I prefer LA.

(Also from tonight.)

That was beautiful defense. You could see LA setting up for that help several seconds before it happens without giving up a passing angle to his man. If Sabonis goes to the corner instead of the elbow LA has a harder time helping and if he does Turner has a more obvious outlet to a wide open corner 3. In the second after screencap below Sabonis comes into the elbow for some reason. Also helps that Pacers decided to play 4 on 5. Craig saunters into the frame at the half court circle at the end of the clip. What was he doing?

image.thumb.png.a575d652f71068e11343f75e09558421.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Kermit said:

Evan Mobley seems kind of good. Like, really good. Which pisses me off because Cleveland always seems to get nice things, only to fuck them up.

Listened to the first 15 minutes of the most recent Bill Simmons podcast (recorded before last night's game where Mobley had 23 & 6) and he and his guest couldn't stop gushing (insert South Austin Mom joke) about Mobley:

• A floor raiser for a franchise
  • Just an incredibly fluid athletic with a unique skillset
  • Looks like he's in his 3rd year
  • Comparisons to young KG and AD
  • Ambidextrous defensively
  • Simmons said the Cavs are better than the Celtics right now
  • Best player from the draft

Mobley prolly saved koby Altman's job for at least this year but (just like with Zion in NOLA and Luka in Dallas), the clock is ticking to surround him with winning players before he walks.  Last night's loss to the Lakers (who desperately wanted to win that game - there was no coasting for them, which speaks to how much trouble that team is in) illustrated just how badly the Cavs need a competent, long wing who can play defense and get buckets and stop the bleeding.  Problem is that those guys are very difficult to find.  And the one problem with Mobley's ascension is that it may push the Cavs out of the top 10 of next year's draft, which will have several great wing prospects (Baldwin, Griffin, Hardy, Watson, Houstan). 

A good problem to have, I suppose - but I just have nightmare flashbacks of 03-10 and surrounding Lebron with Luke Jackson, Christian eyenga, Jiri Welsch, Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall, Sasha Pavlovic, Damon Jones, Drew Gooden, and the corpses of Ben wallace and Shaq.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe the Cavs could go after Ben Simmons? Disgruntled all stars are the only kind they can realistically get. Dump Kevin Love in the trade and some more filler to meet salary. Ben has a long contract, so no worries about him bolting soon. Simmons isn't worth his contract on a great team, but Cleveland is a beggar, not a chooser. Maybe they could roll the dice and see if it can work.

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Scottie Barnes with another good game tonight.

Cade?  Not so much in his debut.

Guessing he's on a mins restriction? Counting stats wise that isn't bad for 19 mins. Not going to sweat his FG too much this early. 

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Barnes has been a big surprise.  He's scoring but nothing about his background said he had any offensive skills at all.  Maybe he's not being guarded because he's surrounded by other good players but who knows.   

I wouldn't judge Cade for awhile because he didn't play much pre season or practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'll still clown on you for it. 

I still think they could get as high as a 6 seed.  You can see a that even Philly is an Embied injury(which seems likely almost every game) away from the the lottery.

Right now, I think the Heat are the best team in the East (which is stacked). Updated tiers:

Heat
Bucks
-----
Hornets
Sixers
Bulls
Hawks
Nets
Knicks
------
Wizards
Celtics
Raptors

2 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I still think they could get as high as a 6 seed.  You can see a that even Philly is an Embied injury(which seems likely almost every game) away from the the lottery.

Right now, I think the Heat are the best team in the East (which is stacked). Updated tiers:

Heat
Bucks
-----
Hornets
Sixers
Bulls
Hawks
Nets
Knicks
------
Wizards
Celtics
Raptors

I just think it's early. I don't particularly think the Wiz won't make the playoffs. My tiers would be a bit different but 7 and 8 especially i think will be tight.

13 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Meh, it was his very first game after sitting for an extended period to get back after an injury.   Means absolutely nothing.

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Meh, it was his very first game after sitting for an extended period to get back after an injury.   Means absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't say it means nothing. They won the game and he actually played some good D, got some boards and passed the ball well. 

But - until he can score at the NBA level he can't. 

I have never seen Durant talk this much shit in his career. He talks the whoooole game every game. Just supremely confident in his play. I know I said this last year but I'd urge y'all to tune in when you can. Not even because he's a Horn - but because you only get to see so many guys this good at the height of their powers. He will be out of the league in a few years and I'll miss it. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

KD with a flagrant 2 on Olynyk. I'm racking my brain trying to remember him ever getting a 2 - it's a very very short list if this isn't the first time. 

He's of course had more than a few double tech ejections.

that ejection was BS. would not even be a foul in the 80's or early 90's. not even a common foul. softest ejection i've seen in a long time. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that ejection was BS. would not even be a foul in the 80's or early 90's. not even a common foul. softest ejection i've seen in a long time. 

I thought it was a good flagrant 1. Wasn't surprised to see it be a 2. 

Doesn't really matter. He was hitting the pine soon after anyway. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The Cavs are killing Charlotte in the 1Q, the hornets have no answer for Cleveland's size.

Jarrett Allen had a great game and it was nice seeing him take advantage of other teams that don't have comparable size.  Had to hang on at the end because the guards are the suck.

Overall, very pleased with the team being 4-4 after a tough opening 8 game stretch.  after 6 road games in October, the Cavs have just 4 on the road in November.

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The Jaylan & Jayson show is played out.

It's comical to me that Boston had that treasure trove of draft picks and young assets and they've got bubkis to show for it.

The Kyrie, Hayward and Kemba moves really fucked them over. 

NBA players are notoriously finnicky when it comes to the basketball. Several years back, when the NBA tried to change to a synthetic ball, complaints were so loud that the league switched back to their original leather ball mid-season.

Now, it's happening again.

After years of Spalding providing the NBA with its game balls, the league switched to Wilson. Wilson said they have tried to replicate the ball as well as possible, but players aren't buying it.

NBPA President C.J. McCollum of the Portland Trail Blazers said, "We're all still adjusting to (the new ball)." McCollum later added that he planned to discuss with players around the league to "get feedback" on the ball.

Paul George of the LA Clippers was more direct in his criticism of the Wilson ball. George said he wouldn't use the ball as an excuse, but that "it's a different basketball. It doesn't have the same touch and softness that the Spalding ball had."

Many around the league have suggested that the new Wilson ball has been a factor in shooting percentages dropping around the league to open the 2021-22 season. Several star players have gotten off to rough starts, but none have directly blamed the ball for their early-season shooting challenges.

45 minutes ago, Llogg said:

The Celtics really are surprisingly bad but Marcus Smart can't be calling out guys by name like he did. Maybe the C's blow it up and trade him for draft capital.

His full quote really wasnt that bad honestly and he's right.    Tatum/Brown at this point are just taller versions of Dame/CJ.  Media outlets only giving bits of it make it sound worse.

1224x1530.png.23e7569b0c4744ef97d1e633129d4f50

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

NBA players are notoriously finnicky when it comes to the basketball. Several years back, when the NBA tried to change to a synthetic ball, complaints were so loud that the league switched back to their original leather ball mid-season.

Now, it's happening again.

After years of Spalding providing the NBA with its game balls, the league switched to Wilson. Wilson said they have tried to replicate the ball as well as possible, but players aren't buying it.

NBPA President C.J. McCollum of the Portland Trail Blazers said, "We're all still adjusting to (the new ball)." McCollum later added that he planned to discuss with players around the league to "get feedback" on the ball.

Paul George of the LA Clippers was more direct in his criticism of the Wilson ball. George said he wouldn't use the ball as an excuse, but that "it's a different basketball. It doesn't have the same touch and softness that the Spalding ball had."

Many around the league have suggested that the new Wilson ball has been a factor in shooting percentages dropping around the league to open the 2021-22 season. Several star players have gotten off to rough starts, but none have directly blamed the ball for their early-season shooting challenges.

Additional context to the ball adjustment:

League Averages .446 FG% (lowest since 2004) .342 3PT% (lowest since 1999)

Some of this could also be attributed to the more physical defense that has been allowed so far this season as well though.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

His full quote really wasnt that bad honestly and he's right.    Tatum/Brown at this point are just taller versions of Dame/CJ.  Media outlets only giving bits of it make it sound worse.

No, that full quote is still pretty shitty from a teammate to put out in public. I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm just saying he should have kept it in the locker room.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Additional context to the ball adjustment:

League Averages .446 FG% (lowest since 2004) .342 3PT% (lowest since 1999)

Some of this could also be attributed to the more physical defense that has been allowed so far this season as well though.

I figured playing in front of fans again has a lot to do with it. A lot of guys empty gym %s weren't realistic last season. 

But I didn't know about the ball - and didn't realize the %s were that low. Granted it's just been 7 games.

I do think you're onto something with the officiating. 

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I figured playing in front of fans again has a lot to do with it. A lot of guys empty gym %s weren't realistic last season. 

But I didn't know about the ball - and didn't realize the %s were that low. Granted it's just been 7 games.

I do think you're onto something with the officiating. 

Its a huge difference in how much physicality is being allowed in contesting shots right now.   I havent really looked at the scoring numbers but I havent noticed many lower scoring games.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

I havent really looked at the scoring numbers but I havent noticed many lower scoring games.

The scoring last year was off the fucking charts. Every other game was like 120 to 130 because you had role players and bench warmers hitting everything without fans in attendance. It's more in line with what it was 5 or 6 years ago right now I think. 

The foul call changes align with a lower FG% but don't really explain the lower 3P%.

Scoring this year through 7ish games it at 107.6 - the lowest since 2017-2018. Last year it was 112.1 which was the highest since 1971. Although it was almost as high the last full, normal, regular season in 2018-2019 at 111.2 - granted pace was a bit higher that year. 

I'd also theorize that the ppg last year would have been even higher if there weren't so many ridiculous blowouts that ended up with bench warmers against bench warmers the entire 4th. I recall a ton of games that were like 110-75 in the 3rd quarter because if one team was hot and one was cold it was over. 

Edited by ztejas

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The scoring last year was off the fucking charts. Every other game was like 120 to 130 because you had role players and bench warmers hitting everything without fans in attendance. It's more in line with what it was 5 or 6 years ago right now I think. 

The foul call changes align with a lower FG% but don't really explain the lower 3P%.

Guys aren’t getting cheap foul calls for jumping sideways into a defender 30 feet from the basket.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Llogg said:

The Celtics really are surprisingly bad but Marcus Smart can't be calling out guys by name like he did. Maybe the C's blow it up and trade him for draft capital.

Yea, keep it behind closed doors.

5 hours ago, d2o said:

Look, he's absolutely right and it's what I've been saying about them, particularly Tatum.  If he wants to take the next step, he has to figure out how to become a creator of offense, just not for himself but the team.  Brown seems like a gunner to me, but he can make strides too.  Smart is right but still, why air dirty laundry?

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, keep it behind closed doors.

Look, he's absolutely right and it's what I've been saying about them, particularly Tatum.  If he wants to take the next step, he has to figure out how to become a creator of offense, just not for himself but the team.  Brown seems like a gunner to me, but he can make strides too.  Smart is right but still, why air dirty laundry?

Tatum is absolutely infatuated with Kobe. Wants to be him more than anything. I seriously question if he has it in him to learn to defer to his teammates.