NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

I'm not sure he has his legs back yet. Detroit is just so terrible that they'll let him shoot that much because why not. 

Still gotta give it at least half a season. Few 19 year olds are efficient scorers as rookies - although he did have tough stretches at okie lite iirc.

ah, Lamelo wasn't any good for a hot minute last season either. i don't think that Cunningham is a slam dunk to ever make an all star team, but unless he has some sort of mental issues that nobody knows about, i feel pretty confident that he's going to be a very good player in the league for the next decade or so. maybe no better than the no.3 on a title winning team, but that's Khris Middleton/Jrue Holiday territory, which isn't bad at all. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The dude is plenty talented. He just looks like he has zero desire to be on the court. It’s only two games in the NBA, but it is exactly how he played for the first 30 minutes of every game in college. 

in college they fawned over him for this practice, claiming that he spent the first half of every game sizing up the opponent and getting his teammates involved before taking over. after his first two NBA games, yeah, it's fair to question if that narrative was accurate or not.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The dude is plenty talented. He just looks like he has zero desire to be on the court. It’s only two games in the NBA, but it is exactly how he played for the first 30 minutes of every game in college. 

That was the bigger concern, right? I think that sometimes got confused for him being pretty calculated but at times you definitely wanted to see more fire from him. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

But he just never has shown a desire to play hard from start to finish.

I am just a caveman, unfamiliar in the ways of analytics and PER and VORP.

However the fact that Cade's heart and desire are in question should be (and have been) a major red flag at the #1 pick, especially when they passed on elite talents who are already showing out and look like they belong.  But again I am but a caveman...

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

However the fact that Cade's heart and desire are in question should be (and have been) a major red flag at the #1 pick, especially when they passed on elite talents who are already showing out and look like they belong.  But again I am but a caveman...

I think you're a little biased and want to be reassured about the pick your team made. But that's natural. I think regardless of what happens with Cade you've got something special up there. 

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I don't know shit about PER either, except that Cade is sporting a - 3.0 so far. I'm not sure how you get a negative PER. That's kinda impressive in its own way. 

There was just a very lengthy review in this game with 1:30 left in the 4th and it concluded with the refs awarding a point to the Rockets and taking away 2 points from the Lakers.

I have never in my hundreds if not thousands of hours watching the NBA seen anything like that. Absolutely wild. 

LA is going to close it out but still - that was something else. 

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LA is going to close it out but still - that was something else. 

Well. Maybe not. Holy shit what a disaster this team is. 

Speaking of disasters - good lord KPJ is a mess. Need to ship that man, Houston. 

Edited by ztejas

LMFAO

I was on the Zion to the Hall train early. Looked poised to be as dominant as Lebron if he continued developing his jumper and avoided injury. Given that weight gain and the foot injury he sustained already, I'm willing to admit all of the people who questioned his body type and durability were probably right. I've never had a weight issue so I don't really get it, but I can guaranfuckingtee that if over 100 million bucks was contingent upon me just maintaining a BMI less than 30 and body fat under 12% I would be able to figure that shit out. He's basically eating his grandkids out of house and home.

19 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Sorry I missed this story. Who did OKC want at #1?

Supposedly, they were offering a bunch of picks for the #1 but Detroit wanted SGA thrown in.  The assumption was that Okie City wanted Cade but if rumors are to be believed, they wanted either Green or Mobley.  

I think the case with Cade is he has a very high floor but a not so high ceiling.  He won't be a bust but he won't get better but still might be good.  To his credit in college, when he wanted to score and everyone knew he was taking it, he scored and scored from everywhere.  Green and Mobley definitely have better upside, though.

Okie City seems very happy with Giddey, though.  Might not have the long term upside of Mobley or Green but even at 19, a legit NBA body and his passing and game awareness are elite.  Can easily be an 18/8/8 guy and a good fit with the rebuild.

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

This just keeps getting better and better.

Simmons is going to get a note from his therapist saying that he is unable to play and the Sixers aren't going to be able to do shit about it. Their choices are: 1) call bullshit on him and come off as insensitive to mental health issues or 2) just keep paying him for not playing.

Philly needs to realize that he's never going to play for them again and their only option is to trade him for 10 cents on the dollar. Simmons holds all of the cards. I can't imagine what a trade would do for Ben's mental readiness to play professional basketball. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Simmons is going to get a note from his therapist saying that he is unable to play and the Sixers aren't going to be able to do shit about it. Their choices are: 1) call bullshit on him and come off as insensitive to mental health issues or 2) just keep paying him for not playing.

Philly needs to realize that he's never going to play for them again and their only option is to trade him for 10 cents on the dollar. Simmons holds all of the cards. I can't imagine what a trade would do for Ben's mental readiness to play professional basketball. 

Yep, they seem determined to get him in front of the PHI fans.   He is equally determined not to and now they have no way to force to play and no way to not pay him.  Checkmate

33 minutes ago, d2o said:

hopefully the fact that most of you are well aware of my own history with mental illness will matter when i say that Ben Simmons is full of shit, and that what he's doing is not only cowardly, but insulting to anyone who seriously does have to live with mental illness.  what a fucking clown. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The counterpoint is that no one believes Ben Simmons when he says that he has mental health issues.

10 minutes ago, Kermit said:

The counterpoint is that no one believes Ben Simmons when he says that he has mental health issues.

Matters not.   No one can prove otherwise.     Performance anxiety is absolutely a mental health issue though

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's a bit of cat and mouse here.  Since Simmons basically just said..... nah, I don't want to play, he had to give an excuse for not wanting to and he leaned on mental health.  Now, I'm not judging the validity of his claim, but the Sixers want him to see their therapist, obviously so the doc can say, "nothing wrong with that boy" and then he has to appear with the team or Philly can then not pay him.  Thus far, wisely, Simmons' team has made him use the NBA's approved therapist and it's up to them if he's ready to play or not.  With mental health being such a current focus for all athletes, you have to probably think they err on the side of caution unless they want a big arbitration suit from the NBAPA.  

Again, Morey is trying to be the smartest guy in the room and leverage everything he can to buy time in order to get a trade package he likes.  

13 hours ago, Llogg said:

LMFAO

I was on the Zion to the Hall train early. Looked poised to be as dominant as Lebron if he continued developing his jumper and avoided injury. Given that weight gain and the foot injury he sustained already, I'm willing to admit all of the people who questioned his body type and durability were probably right. I've never had a weight issue so I don't really get it, but I can guaranfuckingtee that if over 100 million bucks was contingent upon me just maintaining a BMI less than 30 and body fat under 12% I would be able to figure that shit out. He's basically eating his grandkids out of house and home.

If I was the Pels I would be calling OKC and seeing if they have interest in a Poku+3/4 picks for Zion swap.  If they wait this out, I think it's going to end badly.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32440987/phoenix-suns-robert-sarver-allegations-racism-misogyny

Yeah this thing is wild.

Sarver once used the N-word when trying to explain to a staffer why he preferred hiring Lindsey Hunter over Dan Majerle as head coach in 2013, according to a high-level executive who heard the remark. Hunter was a first-year Suns player development coordinator while Majerle was in his fifth year as a Suns associate head coach.

"These [N-words] need a [N-word]," Sarver told the staffer of his largely Black team, according to the executive.

When the Suns were recruiting free agent LaMarcus Aldridge in the summer of 2015, the team knew that Aldridge had young children in Texas and that playing near them was appealing. During the recruitment, Sarver remarked to two basketball operations staffers that the Suns needed to have local strippers impregnated by NBA players so those players would have children in the Phoenix area and feel obliged to be closer to them, giving the Suns a potential edge in free agency, the now-former staffers said.
Edited by d2o

36 minutes ago, d2o said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32440987/phoenix-suns-robert-sarver-allegations-racism-misogyny

Yeah this thing is wild.

Sarver once used the N-word when trying to explain to a staffer why he preferred hiring Lindsey Hunter over Dan Majerle as head coach in 2013, according to a high-level executive who heard the remark. Hunter was a first-year Suns player development coordinator while Majerle was in his fifth year as a Suns associate head coach.

"These [N-words] need a [N-word]," Sarver told the staffer of his largely Black team, according to the executive.

When the Suns were recruiting free agent LaMarcus Aldridge in the summer of 2015, the team knew that Aldridge had young children in Texas and that playing near them was appealing. During the recruitment, Sarver remarked to two basketball operations staffers that the Suns needed to have local strippers impregnated by NBA players so those players would have children in the Phoenix area and feel obliged to be closer to them, giving the Suns a potential edge in free agency, the now-former staffers said.

Everyone knows the guy is a first rate asshole, but I don't think there's anything in there to get him removed as an owner. Honestly, the stuff that went down in the Mavs front office seems worse. 

He's a terrible owner and a jackass. He made some statements in very bad taste, when he thought he was being cool or funny. He's a dick to work for, and it seems especially so for female employees. None of that is surprising.

The stuff about interfering with the coaching staff is hilarious. What a clown. How people like him become so successful in one aspect of their lives, and a disaster in others continues to blow my mind. 

Also, I'm very surprised Earl Watson went on the record with his comments.