NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

.....and Mobley is better than advertised.  Complete culture changer.

I said before the draft that Mobley should have been the number one pick. I haven't seen anything to dissuade me from that. He's just going to get better and better on offense and he's already a small ball menace defensively. Such a rare skillset for a guy his size.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I said before the draft that Mobley should have been the number one pick. I haven't seen anything to dissuade me from that. He's just going to get better and better on offense and he's already a small ball menace defensively. Such a rare skillset for a guy his size.

Could be. The #2 guy is pretty electric though and the #1 has yet to play. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Could be. The #2 guy is pretty electric though and the #1 has yet to play. 

I'll go out on a limb and say that Cade will end up the worst player of the top 5.

He's already worse than advertised (6'8" myth vs 6'6" reality) and he hasn't even played a minute yet - and the whole not traveling with the team while the team said he was injured is just...weird.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I said Green simply because these days it's the more important position, but I'm blown away by what Mobley brings and perhaps the best part is his personality - he's the anti-Lebron.  Seems like a quiet, humble young man who won't be looking for a big market first chance he gets.  He has a KG game with a Tim Duncan personality.

This sequence from this 7 footer is just insane - 

Bring on the accolades!

Edited by Message Board User

Interesting aspect about this Nets team that I didn't think about until now - Patty and LaMarcus played with each other for 5 years. They just had a nice give and go and it's looking like LMA will be a big part of their rotation moving forward.

Little things like that matter for teams trying to go deep in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The end of OKC / Lakers was borderline erotic. Lakers blow a 26 point lead and lose to a team that is outright tanking, to give the thunder their first dub of the year. 

That's amazing. Guess they blew their load last night. 

I did see that Russ had a quad dub with turnovers. 

Edited by ztejas

Interesting aspect about this Nets team that I didn't think about until now - Patty and LaMarcus played with each other for 5 years. They just had a nice give and go and it's looking like LMA will be a big part of their rotation moving forward.
Little things like that matter for teams trying to go deep in the playoffs. 

Harden has been a fat tub of shit ever since he was traded. Has he moved the needle once? Couple playoff game if I remember.

Plus I’ve said this before on opening night….their bench made up of the 2013 all star game reserves is bad. Whoever said durants back isn’t going to make it this season is correct.

Good lord what a hot mess

On 10/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, Message Board User said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that Cade will end up the worst player of the top 5.

He's already worse than advertised (6'8" myth vs 6'6" reality) and he hasn't even played a minute yet - and the whole not traveling with the team while the team said he was injured is just...weird.

I’d throw Giddey in there at #6 as well.  Dude can play and can easily be a 15/8/8 guy this season or next, which is basically Ben Simmons.  Can really pass and has great court vision and just turned 19.  Also has an NBA body, unlike Cade evidently.

Rookie class looks good overall, too.  Barnes is scoring more than people thought.  Suggs is solid.  Cade and Kuminga are hurt or something.  Booknight was supposed to be good but can’t get off the bench.

Very good top 6, though, and Cade remains to be seen.

47 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Harden has been a fat tub of shit ever since he was traded. Has he moved the needle once? Couple playoff game if I remember.

Plus I’ve said this before on opening night….their bench made up of the 2013 all star game reserves is bad. Whoever said durants back isn’t going to make it this season is correct.

Good lord what a hot mess

Harden won them about 25 games last year with Durant out (actually not that many - he played less than I thought. Had Kyrie's game total in my mind). He was fantastic. 

He's coming off of a long rehab and adjusting to the new foul rules. I think he'll be fine. The rest of their team is a bit more concerning - as is their coach who doesn't appear to know what he's doing (I'm not sure he really had to do anything last year). 

Edited by ztejas

OKC fans not knowing whether to cheer or boo Russ for being the same cantankerous, scowling asshole, but in an opposing jersey, was pretty awesome.

ac7a2ce6fab14a71a25892da750ba1d4.jpg

lol. Russ’ head is in the clouds. Lakers blew a 26 point lead, in which I’m sure Russ showboated or talked some trash.

I bet that ️ dunk was awesome. A ️ dunk on anything against the lakers is always the right call
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

lol. Russ’ head is in the clouds. Lakers blew a 26 point lead, in which I’m sure Russ showboated or talked some trash.

I bet that emoji779.png️ dunk was awesome. A emoji779.png️ dunk on anything against the lakers is always the right call

Yeah that one hurt.

A1F51AAC-DC3A-49E5-AD9E-0F4E3E2C1E4F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah that one hurt.

A1F51AAC-DC3A-49E5-AD9E-0F4E3E2C1E4F.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Sorry Bruin. It’s all I’ve got.

No worries Kermie, I'll help you out.

It's gonna be okay @Sbbruin. It's early in the season. These games don't really count. Sure, The Lakers are only 2-3 and the two wins are in overtime against the worst Spurs team since 1997 (that went 0-7 from the FT line in the 4th quarter) and you needed Ja Morant to blow a FT to prevent sending the other W to overtime (while Memphis was on a back to back), but it's going to be fine. OKC was the second of a back to back for LA, and holding onto 26 point leads against teams that are actively trying to lose isn't as easy as it looks. Apparently. 

But have no fear. Lebron's coming back and you know Russ is going to find his groove. He just needs more time to gel with his teammates so he can feel more comfortable doing his thing. AD, I'm sure, will be there to carry you through all 82 games and if the unthinkable happens and he were to suffer an injury that might keep him out for an extended period of time, Carmelo, Rondo and Dwight Howard will pick up the slack. Also, you seem to have found a gem in Austin Reaves. There are tons of championship teams historically that give fourth quarter minutes to undrafted rookies.

Showtime 2021 edition:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Who are these people and what have you done with the real Cavs?

Last three games they've allowed 95 (Hawks), 87 (Nuggets), & 79 (Clippers) points.  

They're doing something that is going to take some time for the league to figure out. Helped in part by a rookie that no one has tape on (who also appears to be a phenomenal defender for his age). 

Curious to see if - or how long - they can keep it going.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No worries Kermie, I'll help you out.

It's gonna be okay @Sbbruin. It's early in the season. These games don't really count. Sure, The Lakers are only 2-3 and the two wins are in overtime against the worst Spurs team since 1997 (that went 0-7 from the FT line in the 4th quarter) and you needed Ja Morant to blow a FT to prevent sending the other W to overtime (while Memphis was on a back to back), but it's going to be fine. OKC was the second of a back to back for LA, and holding onto 26 point leads against teams that are actively trying to lose isn't as easy as it looks. Apparently. 

But have no fear. Lebron's coming back and you know Russ is going to find his groove. He just needs more time to gel with his teammates so he can feel more comfortable doing his thing. AD, I'm sure, will be there to carry you through all 82 games and if the unthinkable happens and he were to suffer an injury that might keep him out for an extended period of time, Carmelo, Rondo and Dwight Howard will pick up the slack. Also, you seem to have found a gem in Austin Reaves. There are tons of championship teams historically that give fourth quarter minutes to undrafted rookies.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

They're doing something that is going to take some time for the league to figure out. Helped in part by a rookie that no one has tape on (who also appears to be a phenomenal defender for his age). 

Curious to see if - or how long - they can keep it going.

There's some truth in this, in that the Cavs right now are expending a ton of energy on defense - even Kevin Love hasn't been completely dreadful.  Probably not sustainable over 82 games.  Interestingly, exceeding expectations now may not be in the Cavs' long-term best interest, as they still desperately need a taller wing who can be a #1 option on offense.  The 2022 draft is chock full of wing prospects, but the Cavs may be SOL if they draft out of the top 10.

But the issue of no tape on Mobley is a non-issue - watching more tape won't make him less lengthy or lower his insane BB IQ.  He shuts down a whole section of the court and it doesn't matter who he switches onto because he'll shut him down too.  Avoiding him is the offense's only option.

He only had 2 blocks last night but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of his impact vs the Clippers:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

But the issue of no tape on Mobley is a non-issue -

It isn't a non issue. He's playing against guys (and coaching staffs) that have never played against him. He won't suddenly not be a great defender but teams are going to scheme against him better and make him work more as the season goes on. 

The thing about Harden is he is human. We have all had the friend who was the life of the party, hitting the bars and strip clubs every night and having endless energy. 

then one day he shows up and looks like a 50 year old man in a 30 year olds body. It happens fast and it happens every time. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Alex Caruso is like one of the guys Hitler had run against Jesse Owens in 1936.

I generally try to avoid Hitler refrences outside of the CR.  But I’m going to give you a basketball CSB. I got the opportunity to know Marques Haynes a little bit.  He is a basketball HOFer and former Harlem Globetrotter.  The man lived a very interesting life.  Travelled the word, saw lots of cool shit.  He said the coolest thing he ever saw in his life, and he saw a whole lot of cool shit, was the ovation Jesse Owens received when he accompanied them on a trip to Berlin.  It was the first time Owens returned to Berlin since the Olympics, and Marques cried a little bit when talking about it.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I generally try to avoid Hitler refrences outside of the CR.  But I’m going to give you a basketball CSB. I got the opportunity to know Marques Haynes a little bit.  He is a basketball HOFer and former Harlem Globetrotter.  The man lived a very interesting life.  Travelled the word, saw lots of cool shit.  He said the coolest thing he ever saw in his life, and he saw a whole lot of cool shit, was the ovation Jesse Owens received when he accompanied them on a trip to Berlin.  It was the first time Owens returned to Berlin since the Olympics, and Marques cried a little bit when talking about it.

That is a CSB. Basically I was making an aggy joke coupled with a compliment of Caruso's athleticism - but glad it elicited something interesting. 

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

damn, Blake Griffin and Joe Harris just took each other out hard. they ran into each other and banged heads and then hit the ground. i won't be surprised if either one is concussed.

Harris has already been playing like he's concussed this season. Maybe it will knock some sense into him.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:13 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I bet that emoji779.png️ dunk was awesome. A emoji779.png️ dunk on anything against the lakers is always the right call

Is stealing rebounds from teammates one of those things you don’t do?   What a putz 

• Like 1