UT Being Ruined?

TahoeHorn

6 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

The legal department handles it.

I'm not opposed to defense.  I'm opposed to being a plaintiff in suits like the one in the article.

Boy--you really know nothing about litigation, do you?

For one thing, why shouldn't a party file suit if it has been legally wronged?  And for another thing, probably half the suits I file are "defensive" in nature (because it's preferable to be a plaintiff for a variety of reasons).

And beyond that, do you think your legal department is free?  You think if you have them handling litigation, that you're not going to need to hire more in-house lawyers?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You sure they don't get paid extra for those roles?

This is the point.  The Department of Diversity isn't paying for a woman who also teaches English for free.  If she teaches English then the English Department pays her too.  Which makes this shit WORSE because that comp is for a part-time person.

Just now, TahoeHorn said:

This is the point.  The Department of Diversity isn't paying for a woman who also teaches English for free.  If she teaches English then the English Department pays her too.  Which makes this shit WORSE because that comp is for a part-time person.

How is that ruining UT?

3 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

You are 100% WRONG.  All 94 positions are listed.

No, I'm not wrong.  Dig into the data.  All of the POSITIONS are listed.  But look at the people who FILL those positions, and see if they are in OTHER roles at the University.

Think of someone who is a partner at a law firm.  And he's also chair of his practice group.  And he's also on the firm's HR committee, which has three attorneys on it.  THREE ATTORNEYS!  ALL OF THEM PAID OVER $200k A YEAR!  THE LAW FIRM IS PAYING $600K FOR ATTORNEYS TO SIT ON ITS HR COMMITTEE!  HOW WASTEFUL!  That's the point that you're arguing.  You're not arguing it well.

2 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

That is the PERSON'S compensation, not the POSITION'S compensation.  Jesus you're fucking dense.  Read my post above.

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

$50k salary in austin will really attract the best and brightest, lol

I downloaded the data.  91 full time and 3 part time.  Average salary for full time is $67k.  So a little north of $6 million per year.

Plenty of them make close to and above 6 figures.  Their secretaries of course do not.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

No, I'm not wrong.  Dig into the data.  All of the POSITIONS are listed.  But look at the people who FILL those positions, and see if they are in OTHER roles at the University.

Think of someone who is a partner at a law firm.  And he's also chair of his practice group.  And he's also on the firm's HR committee, which has three attorneys on it.  THREE ATTORNEYS!  ALL OF THEM PAID OVER $200k A YEAR!  THE LAW FIRM IS PAYING $600K FOR ATTORNEYS TO SIT ON ITS HR COMMITTEE!  HOW WASTEFUL!  That's the point that you're arguing.  You're not arguing it well.

In that case the HR committee wouldn't be paying them $600K.  The lawyer in the environmental group would have most of his comp, probably all of it, charged to that department.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I downloaded the data.  91 full time and 3 part time.  Average salary for full time is $67k.  So a little north of $6 million per year.

Plenty of them make close to and above 6 figures.  Their secretaries of course do not.

Just think how fucked up UT is gonna be when the state turns blue. I mean, if it's this bad with the GOP in control . . . 

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Just think how fucked up UT is gonna be when the state turns blue. I mean, if it's this bad with the GOP in control . . . 

I am sure libs can add a lot more make work jobs for their buddies that add zero value.  About like this:

sit.down_.job_.soprano.png

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Delete 

Why did you delete that? It was a funny post based on your experience.

Anyways, UT is already ruined for me. Sad day when you can't coast in, drink beer and party with the cool kids for 5.5 years, and leave with a sheepskin so you can start your soul-crushing career until you die. My kids are just gonna have to go to TCU or something I guess.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And, answer to the query in the OP:

No.

Get the fuck over it. If there's a bigger class of butthurt pussies in this country than purported "conservatives," I have yet to find it.  They are the most oppressed people in the world, to hear them tell it.  OH, the agony of being a Christian white male -- what EVER will they do?

It's a fucking university trying to hire some more diverse faculty.  Big fucking deal.  God you people are whining pussies.  It's a fucking university.  If there's NOT some idea or intellectual movement that you disagree with, then the university is probably failing in its mission.  Whether it be the dipshit hippies at the anti-apartheid shanty or the YCT telling us that homosexuality was a disease (I dealt with both crowds in my day), folks will say shit and do shit and take positions that you disagree with it.  Get the fuck over it, you worthless, butthurt old man.

Texas High School Football coaches?

19 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

In that case the HR committee wouldn't be paying them $600K.  The lawyer in the environmental group would have most of his comp, probably all of it, charged to that department.

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Charged to that department?  Getting paid by the HR committee or environmental group?

That’s not how it works.  That’s not how any of this works.

This.

Seriously, you're just talking out your ass, and you are embarrassing yourself.

How about you look at this employee:

Directory Information for Jennifer W Maedgen

Name: Jennifer W Maedgen, PHD
Email: maedgen@austin.utexas.edu
UT EID: amsters
Job Title: Senior Associate Vice President
Clinical Associate Professor
Department: Div. of Diversity & Community Engagement
Department of Educational Psychology, College of Education
Department of Psychology, College of Liberal Arts

I bolded the departments she's associated with.  How much of her pay is attributable to each department?  How much of her pay is from "The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement," and how much is from the College of Education, and from the College of Liberal Arts?  Please, show your work.

44 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

When you have 94 of them, that shit kind of adds up.  5 or 6 million every year starts adding up to real money.  But fuck it, we can just raise tuition.

$100 per student per year is too much to actually serve our state?  Really?

Come the fuck on.

When I’m on my death bed and I’m asked if I have any regrets I will reply “yes, just one. One day I spent ten minutes reading an entire thread called “UT being ruined” by some old dude in Alabama. Everything else was pretty good.” 

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Citation, please.  Cite the factual support for your statement that our diversity bureaucracy is a "staff approaching 100."

DDCE Org chart Jan 2018

I count 44 names (could be slightly off on the exact count) on the chart which notes that "Staff positions shown are at the director level and above".  I assume a "Director" would have direct reports, but some of the listings don't look like they are full time DDCE, but liaisons other departments (ie. IT, Business/Finance, and HR)

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

Seriously, you're just talking out your ass, and you are embarrassing yourself.

How about you look at this employee:

I bolded the departments she's associated with.  How much of her pay is attributable to each department?  How much of her pay is from "The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement," and how much is from the College of Education, and from the College of Liberal Arts?  Please, show your work.

There are 91 full-time and 3 part-time.  I have to believe she is one of the three part-time.  Your argument may be valid for the three part-time, not for the 91 full-time.  The validity will depend on what UT gets for her work in non-diversity roles.

We need to start a thread on college costs.  Because waste applies to all departments. Entrenched bureaucracy.  

Have you guys seen what UT is projected to cost in 20 years?  It’s scary. When I graduated law school, I think I paid $7k a year.  That was early 00s. I think it’s more than quadrupled in 15 years. 

2 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

My argument is that we can do without the massive diversity and inclusion bureaucracy - that it's hurting the university. That's the only argumenty I'm making.

My argument is that you should never be allowed any input into what a functional, non racist organization should do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We need to start a thread on college costs.  Because waste applies to all departments. Entrenched bureaucracy.  

Have you guys seen what UT is projected to cost in 20 years?  It’s scary. When I graduated law school, I think I paid $7k a year.  That was early 00s. I think it’s more than quadrupled in 15 years. 

Agreed wholeheartedly.

I just disagree that the concerns with respect to the Diversity office are materially different than those with any other division.

If there are specific TASKS AND POSITIONS within that office that are wasteful, then let's remove them.  Tahoe can't break them down.  It's because he knows his argument is disingenuous bullshit.

2 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

My argument is that we can do without the massive diversity and inclusion bureaucracy - that it's hurting the university. That's the only argumenty I'm making.

Opinion.   Arguments are based on evidence.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed wholeheartedly.

I just disagree that the concerns with respect to the Diversity office are materially different than those with any other division.

If there are specific TASKS AND POSITIONS within that office that are wasteful, then let's remove them.  Tahoe can't break them down.  It's because he knows his argument is disingenuous bullshit.

I’m guessing paying VY $78k a year is wasteful.  

I’m guessing paying VY $78k a year is wasteful.  

It might be....depends on how much money in donations he brings in by sucking up to rich, liquored-up donors on game days.  :)

But if we're paying him that money to teach physics....yeah, definitely wasteful.  Shit, if we're paying him that to teach first grade spelling, wasteful.

Edited by Brisketexan

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The university has always had waste.  I just find it hard to believe that they have become orders of magnitude more wasteful than they used to be.

Most of the costs of college (from the outside) is not from waste but from deregulation of tuition.

Case in point. When I went to school 85-90. Tuition for undergrad was on average about $400 per semester of which the hours  themselves were very little~$4/semester hour.

By the time my oldest went '07-11' tuition was $5,000/semester.

So I guess what I am saying is the costs savings to us would be more on the revenue side.  Reduce that and the low hanging fruit waste goes away.  The entrenched stuff is harder.

It is a really big deal.  In fact I rank it right up there with ACA and the last tax bill as huge middle fingers to the middle class.

7 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The university has always had waste.  I just find it hard to believe that they have become orders of magnitude more wasteful than they used to be.

Most of the costs of college (from the outside) is not from waste but from deregulation of tuition.

Case in point. When I went to school 85-90. Tuition for undergrad was on average about $400 per semester of which the hours  themselves were very little~$4/semester hour.

By the time my oldest went '07-11' tuition was $5,000/semester.

So I guess what I am saying is the costs savings to us would be more on the revenue side.  Reduce that and the low hanging fruit waste goes away.  The entrenched stuff is harder.

It is a really big deal.  In fact I rank it right up there with ACA and the last tax bill as huge middle fingers to the middle class.

How much of that tuition increase is the direct result of reduced funding from the Legislature?

Now that I know the liberal leftist commies are running my alma mater I took all my degrees off the wall and shot them with my AR-15 after I got done blowing up my Yeti cooler with thermite and smashing my Keurig machine. Take that you fucking libtard diversity office workers. Owned. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

That’s percentages of funding. I’m talking dollars.  If costs quadruple and state funding only doubles, the percentage from state funding is cut in half. 

Does anyone have the year by year allocation to Texas from the state?

You can do the math for both of those school years. 

That’s percentages of funding. I’m talking dollars.  If costs quadruple and state funding only doubles, the percentage from state funding is cut in half. 

Does anyone have the year by year allocation to Texas from the state?

Come on.  

47% of $503M = $236M

12% of $2,975M = $357M

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I find it hard to believe the state of Texas has actually decreased funding in terms of dollars.  Is that really true?

I don't know year-to-year.  I can tell you that funding for UT has gone from about $250M in 1985 to about $320M in 2018.  That's a pretty miniscule growth rate over 33 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Has funding decreased or have costs exploded and funding not kept pace?

Both. The state once very heavily subsidized higher education. I think my highest tuition and fees bill at UT undergrad was $700 or for 15 hours, and everyone was bitching because they had added $75 or so per student to build the student rec center. You could go to one of the UT medical schools for $500 a semester in the 80's. It was still heavily subsidized when I was in school in the early 90's at about $6500 per semester IIRC. I remember one of our deans said that was about half what the cost per student was at that time.

I don't have a link but someone on the shit site posted a graph showing a significantly disproportionate increase in expenditure on administrators (like 2-3 x more) over professors / lecturers over the past 20 or 30 years. I don't remember if that graph was nationwide or specific to Texas universities

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Agreed. But costs have gone from $500 million to $3 billion.  And enrollment hasn’t changed much.  

There is the matter of inflation.  And the fact that technology (which costs money) has changed a bit since 1985).

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Come on.  

47% of $503M = $236M

12% of $2,975M = $357M

1984 state funding is about $567MM in 2018 dollars.

Tuition revenue is way up ($60M vs $625M) in 2018 dollars, but I believe enrollment is up.

The 1984 budget is only $1.2B in 2018 dollars.

Edited by JBJ
Decimals matter