UT Being Ruined?

TahoeHorn

We should strive to hire the best period and treat everyone the same. Money whip the best minority teachers you can find if you must, same with students but don’t hire lesser professors in the name of diversity over more qualified candidates. 

There gender or color should not matter. UT should be above the SJW bullshit, not staffing 100 people with 6 figure salaries that add nothing to the university or the students. 

• Like 2

My son just finished his first year at the 40.  He's laughed at all that shit, and why not?  It's funny.
As far as "being ruined", he says (and it's obvious) that all that shit affects like maybe 1% of UT students.  The vast, vast, huge, massive, mega-titanic remainder of UT students don't know about, don't care about, nor give two shits about any of it.  It doesn't impact their day even .01%, nor do they think about it, except for occasional humorous readings in the Daily Texan or wherever.

My son and 99.99% of his compatriots are focusing on how to get by the fucking killer statics test, that lousy writing assignment, or getting lined up for co-ops/jobs/schollies/etc.  They go to school to go to school.  As for the "diverse" teachers, most of the controversial stuff is tucked away in a corner where no one gives a flying fuck, cheesy colleges/programs that make University liberalia feel good about themselves, but again, which impacts so very few students, nor even enters the consciousness, even for a fleeting second, in their entirety of 4-5 years, that it's completely irrelevant.

All that stuff is carnival entertainment, and sure, let 'em have it.  It's feelgood stuff that they can brag about at national convocations or conferences.  The practical impact upon the University is like, fucking zero zilch.  Admissions actually hasn't been impacted even to a fraction of the degree which the "7%" (and decreasing) rule has.  And even that, that's just to get into Dear Ol' UT; the colleges can admit whoever the fuck they want... a whole slew of "auto-admits" we know didn't get into their colleges because they thought they had it made and did shit jobs on their applications, and were denied admission, so now they wander around in "general studies". 

None of that stuff matters to all but a tiny fraction of people involved with UT.  Students are focused on coursework/credits/GPAs/career/job prep outta school.  As it should be.  The rest is crap.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Berkeley spends $20 million per year on the office of diversity and inclusion.  For 40,000 students that $500 per head per year.  That's not how I'd spend $500 if I were a student.

Yeah, but the rest of us wouldn't want to spend that much on donuts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Berkeley spends $20 million per year on the office of diversity and inclusion.  For 40,000 students that $500 per head per year.  That's not how I'd spend $500 if I were a student.

Texas spends $24 million per year on coaching salaries.  Do the math.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Texas spends $24 million per year on coaching salaries.  Do the math.

Our athletic department is self sustaining and provides funds to the university.  The diversity department is a make work program for ____ studies majors.  And nothing more.

And we wonder why a college education is so expensive.

• Like 5

Well, our football team is self sustaining.  Every other team is on the dole.

My real point is that one should not hold every position or even every department to a standard based on profit and loss.  A university has myriad functions and responsibilities, which in the case of a public institution, include service to all who contribute to its funding.

As the father of a son who just finished his sophomore year in the Plan II Honors and Computer Science programs and another son who will be enrolling in the Fall as a freshman in the Plan II Honors and Economics programs, I can honestly say that the University of Texas is better today than ever before. Whatever they are doing, they need to keep doing it! I absolutely love and adore my alma mater.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 8

Are the 100 diversity positions bureacracy, or is he including cultural studies in that number.

I have no qualms with cultural/ethnic studies programs.

I don't understand how Texas would need more than a half dozen diversity bureaucrats.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

My son and 99.99% of his compatriots are focusing on how to get by the fucking killer statics test, that lousy writing assignment, or getting lined up for co-ops/jobs/schollies/etc.  They go to school to go to school.  As for the "diverse" teachers, most of the controversial stuff is tucked away in a corner where no one gives a flying fuck, cheesy colleges/programs that make University liberalia feel good about themselves, but again, which impacts so very few students, nor even enters the consciousness, even for a fleeting second, in their entirety of 4-5 years, that it's completely irrelevant.

I think that you, as a father, are underestimating the level of focusness dedicated to getting laid, getting drunk, and generalized fucking around.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, our football team is self sustaining.  Every other team is on the dole.

My real point is that one should not hold every position or even every department to a standard based on profit and loss.  A university has myriad functions and responsibilities, which in the case of a public institution, include service to all who contribute to its funding.

Unless and until the 1970s regulatory opinions for Title IX are overturned, then there is little we can do about this.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that you, as a father, are underestimating the level of focusness dedicated to getting laid, getting drunk, and generalized fucking around.

He has a girlfriend now for about a year (no pics, but cute as a button and I'll stop there lest #creepydad emerge).
He definitely likes to generally fuck around, probably gets laid (hell, probably banged her lights out while mom and I were at my mom's funeral).
Drinking... he doesn't drink... yet... a flaming drinker?  No, but he's willing to learn.  Hopefully not on mom/dad's dime.

Oh, my post above, I'm in no way condemning diversity, all that stuff that helps more people with less advantages get into UT and sustain themselves there.  I just reacted more to the overblown shit, mostly the way the media hops on it, when in reality like 10 people, maybe 5 of them ACC people, show up at a diversity rally, and it's covered like the 911 flights.  My point simply was: 1)  let Greg/Dean of Students/whomever do their thing, it might help, but 2) don't fucking pretend most UT students give a flying fuck about all fo that.  They don't.  You usually didn't when you were at the 40, right?  That's normal.  Anything else is jacked up bullshit.

Render to Caesar that which is Caesar's... etc.

If you want to join the Young Alt-Right Club and wear your MAGA hat around campus, there is a group for you. If you want to join the transgender vegan environmentalist club, there is a place for you. That's how college campuses should be. Those groups can hold their signs in front of the tower and yell at each other like they used to do back when I was in school. It's college, a time to be exposed to things that make you uncomfortable. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

As the father of a son who just finished his sophomore year in the Plan II Honors and Computer Science programs and another son who will be enrolling in the Fall as a freshman in the Plan II Honors and Economics programs, I can honestly say that the University of Texas is better today than ever before. Whatever they are doing, they need to keep doing it! I absolutely love and adore my alma mater.

Apologies for any quazi-racist references I might have made in reference to the PCL Library back in the Shaggy days.  

5 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

If you want to join the Young Alt-Right Club and wear your MAGA hat around campus, there is a group for you. If you want to join the transgender vegan environmentalist club, there is a place for you. That's how college campuses should be. Those groups can hold their signs in front of the tower and yell at each other like they used to do back when I was in school. It's college, a time to be exposed to things that make you uncomfortable. 

I support this.  I don't support vast bureaucracies with Deans of Diversity and Inclusion.  Berkeley needs one person at $70K to go around talking to high school kids.  They don't need a $20 MM budget with a zillion programs.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

My son and 99.99% of his compatriots are focusing on how to get by the fucking killer statics test, that lousy writing assignment, or getting lined up for co-ops/jobs/schollies/etc.

Pretty sure they're focused on that cute co-ed sitting two seats over, and how they can maneuver her into their dorm room later this evening. 

6 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

I support this.  I don't support vast bureaucracies with Deans of Diversity and Inclusion.  Berkeley needs one person at $70K to go around talking to high school kids.  They don't need a $20 MM budget with a zillion programs.

To help show how much of a fucking idiot you are, $70,000 in Berkeley would equate to about $30,000 in Houston. 

Christ, you’re a fucking idiot. 

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Pretty sure they're focused on that cute co-ed sitting two seats over, and how they can maneuver her into their dorm room later this evening. 

That was you and me.  Most kids nowadays are too scared/social media'd into being hermits even within a crowd.  They'd probably get off more on connecting each other's phones and transferring apps over sex.  It's too bad, too.  All I ever did was look at chicks and masturbate to them later that night (well to the tune of the 99.5% of them I never hooked up with).

This is what's ruining UT.. lack of pussy encountering.

2 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

To help show how much of a fucking idiot you are, $70,000 in Berkeley would equate to about $30,000 in Houston. 

Christ, you’re a fucking idiot. 

You are wrong.  You need to check your facts.

• Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

You are such a colossal idiot. I really can't wait until your generation croaks.

23 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Maybe all they need are some donuts, maybe you could help them out. 

There is a problem in politics with a certain type of simple-minded thinking.  It is that people interpret, or at least characterize, constructive criticism as total opposition.  For example if somebody thinks we spend too much on a defense procurement they are said to oppose national security.  Or if they argue that spending a gazillion dollars on bullshit university bureaucracy, then they oppose the stated mission of the bureaucracy.  This is one reason why costs spin out of control.

The things that make UT great are not spending tens of millions on bullshit bureaucracies.

On this thread the quality of the arguments in favor of the big bureaucracy are appalling.  They consist of personal attacks and the type of simple-minded argument described above.  There is no argument explaining why we need the big bureaucracy.

Edited by TahoeHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

43 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Total clickbait pseudo-intellectual garbage. No wonder Tahoe thought it fit to share and discuss.

And, answer to the query in the OP:

No.

Get the fuck over it.  If there's a bigger class of butthurt pussies in this country than purported "conservatives," I have yet to find it.  They are the most oppressed people in the world, to hear them tell it.  OH, the agony of being a Christian white male -- what EVER will they do?

It's a fucking university trying to hire some more diverse faculty.  Big fucking deal.  God you people are whining pussies.  It's a fucking university.  If there's NOT some idea or intellectual movement that you disagree with, then the university is probably failing in its mission.  Whether it be the dipshit hippies at the anti-apartheid shanty or the YCT telling us that homosexuality was a disease (I dealt with both crowds in my day), folks will say shit and do shit and take positions that you disagree with it.  Get the fuck over it, you worthless, butthurt old man.

• Like 5

"The claim that “diverse perspectives” lead to academic breakthroughs is a fundamental myth of identity politics. Academic progress—curing diseases, scientific and engineering breakthroughs, the invention of new technologies, and all other advances—is the result of excellence, not “diversity.” Marie Curie did not discover radioactivity because she was a woman but because she was a first-rate scientist."

Curie was among 5,000 women secretly educated at The Flying University because Warsaw only accepted men. 

But i do see his point.  His fear of the university being subverted from within.  

28 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

There is a problem in politics with a certain type of simple-minded thinking.  It is that people interpret, or at least characterize, constructive criticism as total opposition.  For example if somebody thinks we spend too much on a defense procurement they are said to oppose national security.  Or if they argue that spending a gazillion dollars on bullshit university bureaucracy, then they oppose the stated mission of the bureaucracy.  This is one reason why costs spin out of control.

The things that make UT great are not spending tens of millions on bullshit bureaucracies.

On this thread the quality of the arguments in favor of the big bureaucracy are appalling.  They consist of personal attacks and the type of simple-minded argument described above.  There is no argument explaining why we need the big bureaucracy.

I haven't seen anyone making any argument in favor of the big bureaucracy. Anyone who actually went to UT knows how infuriating the "machine" can be, in many many different ways.

Most of the responses on here are centered on the fact that the original article and premise is total garbage. Anything that uses the term "identity politics" in the very first sentence is obviously a propaganda piece that has no actual interest in promoting real discussion.

6 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

"The claim that “diverse perspectives” lead to academic breakthroughs is a fundamental myth of identity politics. Academic progress—curing diseases, scientific and engineering breakthroughs, the invention of new technologies, and all other advances—is the result of excellence, not “diversity.” Marie Curie did not discover radioactivity because she was a woman but because she was a first-rate scientist."

Curie was among 5,000 women secretly educated at The Flying University because Warsaw only accepted men. 

But i do see his point.  His fear of the university being subverted from within.  

That might be a good argument if the only academic breakthroughs to be had were technical (but even then it would be a stupid argument).

7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I haven't seen anyone making any argument in favor of the big bureaucracy....

My argument is that we can do without the massive diversity and inclusion bureaucracy - that it's hurting the university. That's the only argumenty I'm making.