Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hope this is a full class

Not sure how many Srs. we'll next year to count for this class, but we will probably have a few guys from the 2018 class declare early.

I think we're going to get to the point where most of our classes are in the 24-26 range 

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Absolutely should take 5 OL and DL this class.

Looks like it's OOS again for LB's.  Getting Flowe for 2020 would probably get his bro for this class.

I'm not a big Brennan Scott fan, but I think he ends up in this class 

(Eric Nahlin) Initial Class Rankings: 2021 Top-50

I hesitate to say this, but UT is sitting in a good position for a number of top 2021 prospects. This will just make you wonder why they aren't committing yet, "if these players really do like UT," but it's true.

It's a very talented class, though not without its holes -- stares at the linebacker room for the fourth cycle in a row.

Obviously it's very, very early, and I'm going to learn of new names just in the coming days that probably belong on this list.

I set out to write a top-25 but there were just too many names.

This is how I see things currently.

1. OT Tommy Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints: I had Fatheree slotted here for about two years but I can't find a flaw in Brockermeyer's game. He can always improve, of course, but he's the safest bet I've seen in a long time at #1.

2. OT Reuben Fatheree, Richmond Foster: Tremendous upside and a better floor than given credit for.

3. RB Camar Wheaton, Garland Lakeview Centennial: Feature back with home run ability thanks to sprinter's speed. If Texas lands five-stars Brockermeyer and Stone, UT will have to be sitting pretty for the publicity-shy Wheaton.

4. OL Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal: Technically sound with great feet. The one question is will he be a guard or tackle. He's similar to Kenyon Green.

5. OT Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor: A better athlete than given credit for. Great size and leaning up, I bet he has a great junior year. Similar to Lindberg in the way he moves.

6. OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor: Has all the power you need for guard but adds in elite body quickness and lateral movement for the position. Very high floor.

7. DL Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins: Versatile linemen who can play 5-tech on in. Will fit 4i quite well if UT can land him.

8. ATH Shadrach Banks, Galena Park North Shore: I think people are struggling with his position fit. You know I love clarity in that regard and fortunately LJH provided that for me. Banks has a bit of a defensive player's body, especially in the legs, making some think linebacker or box safety. He could pull that off but I want his game-breaking ability in the slot.

9. QB Preston Stone, Dallas Parish Episcopal: I have him as Shea Patterson-ish because of the arm and "pocket athleticism." JT Daniels works too. I won't quibble with him being a five-star and if UT really wants him they should push to help with the current class. I don't think he'll be one to draw out the process.

10. WR JoJo Earle, Aledo: "JoJo Earle" sounds like someone Steve parties with on Copperhead Road, but he doesn't look like it. Fantastic film. He's nothing like Ryan Newsome. He's much more fluid and nuanced. He's the perfect H-slot for the Texas offense.

11. DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: He moves more like a tight end than a defensive end to me, which is a good sign of athleticism. I'd like to see what his frame looks like in a year.

12. WR Cody Jackson, Richmond Foster: He's on the CeeDee Lamb path, though maybe not quite the specimen. He is incredibly productive and will put up ridiculous numbers this year. Two from Foster and two from Katy Taylor in the top-12. Wild.

13. CB Latrell McCutchin, Austin LBJ: Reminds of Jalen Kimber who reminds of Marcus Banks. I think McCutchin has more length than either while being just as fluid.

14. WR Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline: Kid's a Rocket off the line, or at least a Mike Davis. I'm a big fan and would love to see him as the Z take.

15. LB Clayton Smith, Texarkana Texas High: If we're talking about ideal fits we can't not mention Smith at B-backer. Lots of athleticism in space and the bend to rush the edge.

16. QB Dematrius Davis Jr., Galena Park North Shore: If I was starting a high school team he'd probably be my No. 1 pick. If he makes another jump like he did from freshman to sophomore year he'll move up the list. I just want to see continued play-making from the pocket. With his lack of height that will be a concern. He's a good, not great athlete, but has tremendous feel for when to use it. Great leader too.

17. DE Marcus Burris, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: He has the bounce I look for at 4i and I should probably have him rated more highly.

18. LB Kendrick Blackshire, Duncanville: Positional ambiguity is the main question. He's a violent, downhill player but the game so often moves horizontally and diagonally. I'd be tempted to turn him into a slashing defensive lineman. Nature might decide this one.

19. OT Savion Byrd, Duncanville: He'll probably be ranked higher in a year's time but I want to see better tape. I know he's improving and only going to get better. I like his physicality. He threw around some tough dudes in the State Championship game.

20. ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan: He has top-five tape but I was hoping he'd be bigger. He also seems to prefer offense when B-backer or defensive end should be his future.

21. TE Devon Martin, Mesquite Poteet: He's a giant outside receiver but will be a tight end of some sort in college. Tons of big offers. Tons of natural ability.

22. QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins: What stands out every time I see him is his arm strength, well that and that and he's built like a future five-star safety. He's a dangerous runner. Could be a top-10 guy in a year.

23. QB Sawyer Robertson, Lubbock Coronado: I think 247 got a little trigger happy with the trigger-man by ranking him so high, but there are some obvious positives here. He makes some very impressive throws.

24. ATH Trevion Sneed, Mineola: Shades of Sewo Olonilua. Could be an amazing linebacker but has good enough feet and lateral quickness to stay at running back.

25. OT Erick Cade, Denton Braswell: Project with great baseline traits.

26. DB Billy Bowman, Denton Ryan: Looks shot out of a cannon for much of his Hudl. Big play kid who houses interceptions and kicks alike. Size concerns will hurt him with the size queen programs but the dude is a player. Could be a slot.

27. DE Dametrious Crownover, Grandview: Great starter kit to be a pass-rushing defensive end. Probably a better fit for a four-man line, though.

28. WR Jerand Bradley, Plano John Paul II: Tons of size at 6-foot-5, 190. Productive against lesser competition. Plays AAU basketball. Visiting UT this weekend. Could be a big play XWR.

29. DE Jordon Thomas, Port Arthur Memorial: A surprise early offer, Thomas has some Ta'Quon Graham to him, or if they're lucky, one of those Louisiana 4i's they've found.

30. LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney: Probably the best swimmer I've covered. I'd love to see him grow another inch or two. He'd be a B-backer. Very good player, though there's a hint of tightness in his hips.

31. QB Eli Stowers, Denton Guyer: This kid has tons of upside but he has a long way to go. Makes some really good throws and shows arm strength but is very inconsistent with accuracy and decision making. Really good athlete for his size. Could be a tight end. Is he Logan Thomas?

32. CB Hunter Washington, Katy: There's a bit of Anthony Cook to his game as he's a bit slight but still physical. I like him quite a bit and could see him moving up the list.

33. DB JD Coffey, Kennedale: Fantastic tape. A true center-fielding ball-hawk. Similar to Xavion Alford. I was hoping he'd have a little more potential for size on him.

34. CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball: Loose hips and light on his feet. This may be a little too low.

35. RB Cam'Ron Valdez, Rockdale: Explosive runner who plays more physically than his size would indicate. If 2021 is a two running back class this kid becomes quite interesting. He's visiting UT this weekend.

36. WR Latrell Neville, Houston Willowridge: Has tons of offers but I'd love to see a little more explosion in his game. He'll be in Austin this weekend.

37. QB Garrett Nussmeier, Flower Mound Marcus: I love the zip and placement on mid-range passes over the middle. Nice arm. Not the biggest kid but knows where he's going with the ball and gets it there quick. It's an interesting cycle for this type of player.

38. WR KJ Liggins, Coppell: Exciting athlete that I'll probably have higher in a year.

39. RB Brandon Campbell, Pearland: One of the most explosive sophomores in the nation as measured by SPARQ. He's an APB with excellent hands out of the backfield. Could play slot. He just picked up a Houston offer and he looks like someone Holgorsen would feature in myriad ways.

40. LB Landyn Watson, Hutto: I have some questions: What's his true fit, is he maxed out physically, can he play in space? I'm trying to get those answered.

41. TE Var'Keyes Gumms, Spring Dekaney: A surprise offer at tight end, Gumms picked up LSU and UT followed two days later. I expected more on tape but he might project to the non-glamorous H-back role. He's a good blocker. Too bad he's not a 2019.

42. WR John Paul Richardson, Missouri City Ridge Point: Excellent hands and play-speed, I think the Aggie legacy has a chance to be a tough match-up in the slot.

43. WR Ketron Jackson, Lancaster: Really athletic (has long jumped over 24' this season) player who will likely produce much more this season.

44. OL James Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints: Has the blood-lines on the field, not just at home. Nasty with good feet. He's just waiting on size, which is steadily coming. He's right around 250.

45. RB LJ Johnson, Cy Fair: Really just lacking home run speed. Good all-around back.

46. QB Behren Morton, Eastland: Another one of those pocket facilitators like Nussmeier. You can add Katy's Bronson McClelland to the list too. These guys suit RPO offenses with their quick releases and precise passing.

47. DL Shemar Turner, DeSoto: Has good size and movement skills but I'd like to see him play more assertively. I'd also like to see him doing more "defensive line things" like using his hands, beating guys with leverage, etc.

48. OT Cullen Montgomery, Bellaire Episcopal: He's a bit of a project but that's to be expected with most sophomore offensive linemen. We're just spoiled in 2021.

49. RB Montaye Dawson, Mansfield: Pinball back with sub-11 second 100 meter speed. Shifty, with low center of gravity. These guys are hard to tackle.

50. WR Jaedon Wilson, Cedar Hill: He's the younger brother of Dontre Wilson, meaning Tom Herman has a relationship here. Where as Wilson should have been a slot, Jaedon is. He's a smooth route runner, though maybe not quite as explosive as Dontre. He has run 50 seconds in the 400 meters.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Eric Nahlin) Initial Class Rankings: 2021 Top-50

Reveal hidden contents

I hesitate to say this, but UT is sitting in a good position for a number of top 2021 prospects. This will just make you wonder why they aren't committing yet, "if these players really do like UT," but it's true.

It's a very talented class, though not without its holes -- stares at the linebacker room for the fourth cycle in a row.

Obviously it's very, very early, and I'm going to learn of new names just in the coming days that probably belong on this list.

I set out to write a top-25 but there were just too many names.

This is how I see things currently.

1. OT Tommy Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints: I had Fatheree slotted here for about two years but I can't find a flaw in Brockermeyer's game. He can always improve, of course, but he's the safest bet I've seen in a long time at #1.

2. OT Reuben Fatheree, Richmond Foster: Tremendous upside and a better floor than given credit for.

3. RB Camar Wheaton, Garland Lakeview Centennial: Feature back with home run ability thanks to sprinter's speed. If Texas lands five-stars Brockermeyer and Stone, UT will have to be sitting pretty for the publicity-shy Wheaton.

4. OL Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal: Technically sound with great feet. The one question is will he be a guard or tackle. He's similar to Kenyon Green.

5. OT Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor: A better athlete than given credit for. Great size and leaning up, I bet he has a great junior year. Similar to Lindberg in the way he moves.

6. OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor: Has all the power you need for guard but adds in elite body quickness and lateral movement for the position. Very high floor.

7. DL Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins: Versatile linemen who can play 5-tech on in. Will fit 4i quite well if UT can land him.

8. ATH Shadrach Banks, Galena Park North Shore: I think people are struggling with his position fit. You know I love clarity in that regard and fortunately LJH provided that for me. Banks has a bit of a defensive player's body, especially in the legs, making some think linebacker or box safety. He could pull that off but I want his game-breaking ability in the slot.

9. QB Preston Stone, Dallas Parish Episcopal: I have him as Shea Patterson-ish because of the arm and "pocket athleticism." JT Daniels works too. I won't quibble with him being a five-star and if UT really wants him they should push to help with the current class. I don't think he'll be one to draw out the process.

10. WR JoJo Earle, Aledo: "JoJo Earle" sounds like someone Steve parties with on Copperhead Road, but he doesn't look like it. Fantastic film. He's nothing like Ryan Newsome. He's much more fluid and nuanced. He's the perfect H-slot for the Texas offense.

11. DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: He moves more like a tight end than a defensive end to me, which is a good sign of athleticism. I'd like to see what his frame looks like in a year.

12. WR Cody Jackson, Richmond Foster: He's on the CeeDee Lamb path, though maybe not quite the specimen. He is incredibly productive and will put up ridiculous numbers this year. Two from Foster and two from Katy Taylor in the top-12. Wild.

13. CB Latrell McCutchin, Austin LBJ: Reminds of Jalen Kimber who reminds of Marcus Banks. I think McCutchin has more length than either while being just as fluid.

14. WR Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline: Kid's a Rocket off the line, or at least a Mike Davis. I'm a big fan and would love to see him as the Z take.

15. LB Clayton Smith, Texarkana Texas High: If we're talking about ideal fits we can't not mention Smith at B-backer. Lots of athleticism in space and the bend to rush the edge.

16. QB Dematrius Davis Jr., Galena Park North Shore: If I was starting a high school team he'd probably be my No. 1 pick. If he makes another jump like he did from freshman to sophomore year he'll move up the list. I just want to see continued play-making from the pocket. With his lack of height that will be a concern. He's a good, not great athlete, but has tremendous feel for when to use it. Great leader too.

17. DE Marcus Burris, Texarkana Pleasant Grove: He has the bounce I look for at 4i and I should probably have him rated more highly.

18. LB Kendrick Blackshire, Duncanville: Positional ambiguity is the main question. He's a violent, downhill player but the game so often moves horizontally and diagonally. I'd be tempted to turn him into a slashing defensive lineman. Nature might decide this one.

19. OT Savion Byrd, Duncanville: He'll probably be ranked higher in a year's time but I want to see better tape. I know he's improving and only going to get better. I like his physicality. He threw around some tough dudes in the State Championship game.

20. ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan: He has top-five tape but I was hoping he'd be bigger. He also seems to prefer offense when B-backer or defensive end should be his future.

21. TE Devon Martin, Mesquite Poteet: He's a giant outside receiver but will be a tight end of some sort in college. Tons of big offers. Tons of natural ability.

22. QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins: What stands out every time I see him is his arm strength, well that and that and he's built like a future five-star safety. He's a dangerous runner. Could be a top-10 guy in a year.

23. QB Sawyer Robertson, Lubbock Coronado: I think 247 got a little trigger happy with the trigger-man by ranking him so high, but there are some obvious positives here. He makes some very impressive throws.

24. ATH Trevion Sneed, Mineola: Shades of Sewo Olonilua. Could be an amazing linebacker but has good enough feet and lateral quickness to stay at running back.

25. OT Erick Cade, Denton Braswell: Project with great baseline traits.

26. DB Billy Bowman, Denton Ryan: Looks shot out of a cannon for much of his Hudl. Big play kid who houses interceptions and kicks alike. Size concerns will hurt him with the size queen programs but the dude is a player. Could be a slot.

27. DE Dametrious Crownover, Grandview: Great starter kit to be a pass-rushing defensive end. Probably a better fit for a four-man line, though.

28. WR Jerand Bradley, Plano John Paul II: Tons of size at 6-foot-5, 190. Productive against lesser competition. Plays AAU basketball. Visiting UT this weekend. Could be a big play XWR.

29. DE Jordon Thomas, Port Arthur Memorial: A surprise early offer, Thomas has some Ta'Quon Graham to him, or if they're lucky, one of those Louisiana 4i's they've found.

30. LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney: Probably the best swimmer I've covered. I'd love to see him grow another inch or two. He'd be a B-backer. Very good player, though there's a hint of tightness in his hips.

31. QB Eli Stowers, Denton Guyer: This kid has tons of upside but he has a long way to go. Makes some really good throws and shows arm strength but is very inconsistent with accuracy and decision making. Really good athlete for his size. Could be a tight end. Is he Logan Thomas?

32. CB Hunter Washington, Katy: There's a bit of Anthony Cook to his game as he's a bit slight but still physical. I like him quite a bit and could see him moving up the list.

33. DB JD Coffey, Kennedale: Fantastic tape. A true center-fielding ball-hawk. Similar to Xavion Alford. I was hoping he'd have a little more potential for size on him.

34. CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball: Loose hips and light on his feet. This may be a little too low.

35. RB Cam'Ron Valdez, Rockdale: Explosive runner who plays more physically than his size would indicate. If 2021 is a two running back class this kid becomes quite interesting. He's visiting UT this weekend.

36. WR Latrell Neville, Houston Willowridge: Has tons of offers but I'd love to see a little more explosion in his game. He'll be in Austin this weekend.

37. QB Garrett Nussmeier, Flower Mound Marcus: I love the zip and placement on mid-range passes over the middle. Nice arm. Not the biggest kid but knows where he's going with the ball and gets it there quick. It's an interesting cycle for this type of player.

38. WR KJ Liggins, Coppell: Exciting athlete that I'll probably have higher in a year.

39. RB Brandon Campbell, Pearland: One of the most explosive sophomores in the nation as measured by SPARQ. He's an APB with excellent hands out of the backfield. Could play slot. He just picked up a Houston offer and he looks like someone Holgorsen would feature in myriad ways.

40. LB Landyn Watson, Hutto: I have some questions: What's his true fit, is he maxed out physically, can he play in space? I'm trying to get those answered.

41. TE Var'Keyes Gumms, Spring Dekaney: A surprise offer at tight end, Gumms picked up LSU and UT followed two days later. I expected more on tape but he might project to the non-glamorous H-back role. He's a good blocker. Too bad he's not a 2019.

42. WR John Paul Richardson, Missouri City Ridge Point: Excellent hands and play-speed, I think the Aggie legacy has a chance to be a tough match-up in the slot.

43. WR Ketron Jackson, Lancaster: Really athletic (has long jumped over 24' this season) player who will likely produce much more this season.

44. OL James Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints: Has the blood-lines on the field, not just at home. Nasty with good feet. He's just waiting on size, which is steadily coming. He's right around 250.

45. RB LJ Johnson, Cy Fair: Really just lacking home run speed. Good all-around back.

46. QB Behren Morton, Eastland: Another one of those pocket facilitators like Nussmeier. You can add Katy's Bronson McClelland to the list too. These guys suit RPO offenses with their quick releases and precise passing.

47. DL Shemar Turner, DeSoto: Has good size and movement skills but I'd like to see him play more assertively. I'd also like to see him doing more "defensive line things" like using his hands, beating guys with leverage, etc.

48. OT Cullen Montgomery, Bellaire Episcopal: He's a bit of a project but that's to be expected with most sophomore offensive linemen. We're just spoiled in 2021.

49. RB Montaye Dawson, Mansfield: Pinball back with sub-11 second 100 meter speed. Shifty, with low center of gravity. These guys are hard to tackle.

50. WR Jaedon Wilson, Cedar Hill: He's the younger brother of Dontre Wilson, meaning Tom Herman has a relationship here. Where as Wilson should have been a slot, Jaedon is. He's a smooth route runner, though maybe not quite as explosive as Dontre. He has run 50 seconds in the 400 meters.

Has anyone seen what Fatheree’s height is these days. I remember wondering a couple years ago, if he’d get too tall for OT, but it looks like he may have stopped around 6’8, which would be great. On a related note, has the Opening quit posting measurables for all its contestants. I don’t see a regional results page for 2019 like they’ve had in the past.

Blackshire is a DL all the way. Only question to me is if he grows into an IDL. I think he’d be a great fit in our scheme since we have guys slant gaps so often. 

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh good, another trashfire LB class in-state. Wonderful. Just what we needed.

Yep. The state of Texas does not produce much LB talent, I think largely due to the prevalence of the spread. We’re either going to have to identify Safeties who will spin down in college or go OOS. With the news about Floyd, our ILBs are severely lacking talent and numbers. Hopefully Overshown will operate as a LB in function, regardless of his position.

EJ after dark: New names for Texas spring game

— Four-star 2021 Salpointe Catholic (AZ) offensive lineman Jonah Miller will make an unofficial visit to Texas for the spring game this weekend. This will actually be Miller’s second time in Austin, so he is definitely a prospect to watch. Miller is a teammate of five-star 2020 running back target Bijan Robinson, who will also be on campus for the game.

— Four-star 2021 Pearland running back Brandon Campbell is set to make an unofficial visit to Texas for the spring game this weekend. Campbell does not hold any FBS offers at this time, but he had some strong camp performances and was a huge riser in the latest rankings.

— Four-star 2021 Katy cornerback Hunter Washington will make an unofficial visit for the Texas spring game as well. Washington has an offer from Tulane and is one to keep an eye on moving forward.

— Another rising 2021 recruit that will be in attendance for the spring game is Bridgeland wide receiver Dylan Goffney. He recently notched an offer from Arkansas and is on the Longhorns’ radar.

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

— Four-star 2021 Pearland running back Brandon Campbell is set to make an unofficial visit to Texas for the spring game this weekend. Campbell does not hold any FBS offers at this time, but he had some strong camp performances and was a huge riser in the latest rankings.

— Four-star 2021 Katy cornerback Hunter Washington will make an unofficial visit for the Texas spring game as well. Washington has an offer from Tulane and is one to keep an eye on moving forward.

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Has anyone seen what Fatheree’s height is these days. I remember wondering a couple years ago, if he’d get too tall for OT, but it looks like he may have stopped around 6’8, which would be great. On a related note, has the Opening quit posting measurables for all its contestants. I don’t see a regional results page for 2019 like they’ve had in the past.

Blackshire is a DL all the way. Only question to me is if he grows into an IDL. I think he’d be a great fit in our scheme since we have guys slant gaps so often. 

Yep. The state of Texas does not produce much LB talent, I think largely due to the prevalence of the spread. We’re either going to have to identify Safeties who will spin down in college or go OOS. With the news about Floyd, our ILBs are severely lacking talent and numbers. Hopefully Overshown will operate as a LB in function, regardless of his position.

Are we forgetting that legendary class with Moses, Browning, Hines, and Jones? People were saying Texas doesn't make line players anymore last year before it became clear how good 20 and 21 would be. Just watch 22 have a great LB class and everyone will be confused again. Shit goes in cycles. But yeah we need to go OOS this year.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

7 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Are we forgetting that legendary class with Moses, Browning, Hines, and Jones? People were saying Texas doesn't make line players anymore last year before it became clear how good 20 and 21 would be. Just watch 22 have a great LB class and everyone will be confused again. Shit goes in cycles. But yeah we need to go OOS this year. 

Moses is from Louisiana and Jones was a fucking headcase. There were two good in-state LBs (though Mohamed Sanogo has ended up as the linchpin of the (pretty shitty) Ole Miss defense).

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Are we forgetting that legendary class with Moses, Browning, Hines, and Jones? People were saying Texas doesn't make line posters anymore last year before it became clear how good 20 and 21 would be. Just watch 22 have a great LB class and everyone will be confused again. But yeah we need to go OOS this year.

Moses isn’t from Texas. Which one of those guys are you claiming is good? So far, all those guys look pretty bad. Plus, we’re already at 3 years in row without even having many highly rated guys in-state (18, 19, 20).

Here’s a list of 4 star LBs from the state of Texas since 2015: Malik, Wheeler, Cam Townsend, McCulloch, Fowler, Dontavious Jackson, Browning, Hines, Jones, Deshaun White, Alston Orin, and Bumper Pool. There’s not much success there so far.

The NFL draft bears that out too. Not many linebackers from the state of Texas have been getting drafted lately.

Point is, If we rely solely on in-state talent for the LB spot, it probably won’t be great.

56 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Moses is from Louisiana and Jones was a fucking headcase. There were two good in-state LBs (though Mohamed Sanogo has ended up as the linchpin of the (pretty shitty) Ole Miss defense).

The point is they looked good. My bad on Moses. We have little idea how they will turn out two years before they make it on campus. 

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Moses isn’t from Texas. Which one of those guys are you claiming is good? So far, all those guys look pretty bad. Plus, we’re already at 3 years in row without even having many highly rated guys in-state (18, 19, 20).

Here’s a list of 4 star LBs from the state of Texas since 2015: Malik, Wheeler, Cam Townsend, McCulloch, Fowler, Dontavious Jackson, Browning, Hines, Jones, Deshaun White, Alston Orin, and Bumper Pool. There’s not much success there so far.

The NFL draft bears that out too. Not many linebackers from the state of Texas have been getting drafted lately.

Point is, If we rely solely on in-state talent for the LB spot, it probably won’t be great.

That's fair 

35 minutes ago, Fud said:

I remember trying to figure out how we were going to fit Moses, Browning, Hines, and Murray into the same LB class. Good times. 

Just kidding about Moses, I never had any delusions that he was coming here 

I remember being told, flatly, that he was bought and paid for by Bama very, very early in the cycle, from two places that would absolutely know from each end. Watching the premise of him being interested elsewhere, whether LSU or Texas or wherever, then watching those fans get their hopes up, made me wonder whether I wished I didn’t know shit like that, or whether it was more fun to watch these poor bastards get excited. Still don’t know which I would choose.

I know that with a guy like Marcel Brooks, I’m glad some of us knew the background, given what a fucking dirtbag he is, and that there was very little handwringing by anyone on this board accordingly. I cannot think about the level of idiocy on 24/7 created by that goober EJ Holland’s chronic updates on Texas being interested in him. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Deshaun White and Bumper Pool.  I am glad I did not waste time hoping these two would come to Texas.

Um wut? Have you seen our LB depth chart? I would take both of them in a heartbeat and I have no clue about anything they’ve done or how they’ve progressed since HS.

we literally have two returning ILBs on our entire roster and one of those guys would struggle to break a 5 second 40. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember being told, flatly, that he was bought and paid for by Bama very, very early in the cycle, from two places that would absolutely know from each end. Watching the premise of him being interested elsewhere, whether LSU or Texas or wherever, then watching those fans get their hopes up, made me wonder whether I wished I didn’t know shit like that, or whether it was more fun to watch these poor bastards get excited. Still don’t know which I would choose.

I know that with a guy like Marcel Brooks, I’m glad some of us knew the background, given what a fucking dirtbag he is, and that there was very little handwringing by anyone on this board accordingly. I cannot think about the level of idiocy on 24/7 created by that goober EJ Holland’s chronic updates on Texas being interested in him. 

Same thing with the Sopsher. He was locked in to Bama for over a year, but wouldn't announce early because he didn't want to get mobbed by crazy coonasses around town and at school, which is why Moses transferred to IMG 

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Um wut? Have you seen our LB depth chart? I would take both of them in a heartbeat and I have no clue about anything they’ve done or how they’ve progressed since HS.

we literally have two returning ILBs on our entire roster and one of those guys would struggle to break a 5 second 40. 

I'm high on Marcus Tilman and David Ghbenda