Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They are waiting for Texas to give Luke a scholarship. 

If Texas gives him a scholarship within his first two years on campus, he's a counter in the 25 man signee rule, so I doubt they give him one before then. Of course, they won't even sign for almost two years. 

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Was just a glorified scrimmage, but Luke showed flashes of being a scholarship worthy player. I hope he earns a lot of playing time.

He had an Oregon State offer, so he's not a total scrub, at least by walk-on standards.

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Was just a glorified scrimmage, but Luke showed flashes of being a scholarship worthy player. I hope he earns a lot of playing time.

I did not think he could run down Casey since he did not have the angle but he did.  We've discussed it in the PWO thread, the program floor has been raised.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I did not think he could run down Casey since he did not have the angle but he did.  We've discussed it in the PWO thread, the program floor has been raised.

He's better than Adeoye, which isn't saying a lot 

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

frustrating because adeoye looks like he could be playing sundays and luke looks like he could still be under the friday night lights.  and yet luke may be better.  

From a size standpoint sure, but Adeoye runs in quicksand 

Nahlin on James Brockermeyer

OUR LONG NATIONAL NIGHTMARE IS OVER

James Brockermeyer, son of Blake and Kristy, brother of Luke and Tommy and another older brother, received his long awaited Texas offer. 

It isn't often that a 250-pound sophomore center is offered by the blue bloods but James's circumstances are unique, and playing center actually helps. 

One thing I mentioned recently was playing center in high school would be attractive to schools. That is something Blake has been hearing quite a bit as well.

Said Blake on Friday afternoon, "Clemson did not seem to be too concerned with James's size this morning. I've heard this a few times now but projecting a center and actually having one that's playing it makes a difference." 

Texas is saying similar things, "Herman and Hand told him on the field basically the same stuff we've been talking about. Have a natural center that's going to grow into the position so no need to project."

I wouldn't rule out a summer decision for the Brockermeyers but those wanting an immediate decision will likely be disappointed. Visits that are tentatively on the horizon include Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Georgia and maybe Stanford.

Part of me suspects Blake is enjoying these visits as a learning experience as much as the kids. He mentioned to me previously the most informative football meeting he's sat in on in years was while visiting Iowa. Look at the above programs -- they all have a great tradition of offensive line play.

Justin Wells on Gumms

VAR’KEYES GUMMS 
Texas went to Spring Dekaney in 2018 for a four-star tight end (Malcolm Epps). Looks like they are going back for seconds. 
Meet 2021 prospect Var'Keyes Gumms. The former New Orleans product is starting to see his recruitment take off. Texas likes what they see and vice versa. 
“The spring was great,” said Gumms. “I liked the atmosphere and the fan support. They hype before the game and the Ludacris performance was great. I’ll definitely will be back in the 40 acres to see Bevo.” 
Gumms originally lived in Marrero on the West bank, oilfield town on the other side of NOLA. His family came to Houston years ago and live in Spring. He brings that south Louisiana mentality; work like a dog to feed your family. It's that attitude that makes the 6-foot-3, 230-pound prospect so intriguing. 
“I’ll bring whatever player they need," said Gumms. "I’ll play my hardest and do what I have to do to get to the next level and get us to win if I was to sign.”
As of today, Gumms holds two offers - Texas and LSU. He hears from Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, and OU. It's still early for the junior-to-be, but Texas sees a kid that is a mixture of J-Mike Finley and Andrew Beck. 
"I played both TE and H-back last season," Gumms said. "I can play both at the next level. Whatever it takes." 
After a conversation with Gumms, you can't help but like this kid. He's team-first and that is rare. Culture fit, IMO.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-19th-21st/

2021 National Top 100 ATH makes First Visit to UT

4-Star Texarkana (Texas High) ATH Clayton Smith is going to be one of the most coveted recruits in the country in the class of 2021. The Texas coaching staff was able to get Smith on campus for the first time this weekend when he and several family members made the trip down from East Texas. The 6’4, 210lb playmaker tells me that he enjoyed himself during his time in Austin.

“I could get used to this place. I really felt the energy.” Smith told me via text.

Smith says that he was invited by Tight Ends Coach Derek Warehime, which may give a bit of a hint as to where Texas may be interested in Smith playing at the next level. When I asked about his preference, he told me that he didn’t have one.

“Nah, I really just want to be on the field,” Smith replied. “It doesn’t matter which side of the ball.”

Already holding two offers (Arkansas and Southern), Smith tells me that he is being recruited heaviest by Arkansas, Miami, Texas, and Memphis currently. As far as an offer and Texas, he says that the Texas staff wants to see him work out in person before joining the mix. “They want to evaluate me at practice and then it should come.” Smith said.

When asked about what some of the main factors would be in his recruitment, Smith told me the city atmosphere, academics, and the opportunity to play early will be most important. “The atmosphere of the city. Their team history,” Smith continued, “Whether or not my major is available and if so, how good is the program? Would I have a chance to start or play my Freshman year?”

My take: Arkansas and new Head Coach Chad Morris are all over the 2021 class in Texas, having already extended offers to many of the prospects that I’ve spoken to. Arkansas has a proximity advantage over Texas and has also gotten Smith on campus already. Texas has a good chance of getting Smith back on campus and the groundwork is being laid in this recruitment. It’s early in this one, but I see Smith being a guy that wants to stay in the region and I could easily see this shaping up as a Texas/Arkansas battle for the signature of the 4-Star.

Top 2021 DB and Talented Friends on Campus

Texas did a great job putting on an exciting event last Saturday full of fun and football. While the 2020 class is in the early stages of being put together, it is also never too early to start building relationships for the future as well. Texas had an extensive list of talented 2021 visitors on hand to take it all in, one of the names that figure to be near the top of that list is 4-Star Katy Cornerback Hunter Washington.

With visits to Mississippi State, LSU, Arizona, and Texas A&M scheduled, Washington has a busy spring and summer planned ahead.

I was able to catch up with Washington following his visit to Austin and he tells me that he really enjoyed himself.

“What stood out the most were the facilities and the atmosphere of the UT fans,” Washington stated. “It was my first time visiting and I had a good time.”

Following an impressive Sophomore season that was him start every game for 6A powerhouse Katy, Washington already holds two FBS offers from Tulane and Houston. Similar to Clayton Smith, Texas told Washington that they want to evaluate him in person this spring before coming forward with an official offer.

What are some of the things that Washington will be looking for as deciding factors when it comes time to choose a program?

“Staying close to home so that my family can come and see me play,” Washington continued. “The atmosphere is going to be important too.”

My Take: Washington made it clear to me that he prefers to stay in-state if he has a choice. He’s already been to A&M and this past weekend was his first visit to Texas. I could see some regional powers coming into play as well, such as LSU or Oklahoma, but this could shape up to be a Texas/Texas A&M battle in the future. He is friends with a lot of the top recruits in the class and could be a big get for either program based on the possible influence that it could have on others.

Edited by Machinator

@Fud or @JerryHubbard ya'll hearing anything in regards to Conner and that tweet?  Here's what TFB wrote back in February.

2021 OT Hayden Conner – (Katy Taylor – Katy, TX)

While it is early in his recruitment, Hayden Conner is solidifying himself as one of the top players in the nation. With that comes some national

“I have a top three, and I’m looking to hopefully add a fourth into that… UT is a top three.” If I had to take a guess at who else is in that top three I would say Michigan and Wisconsin join Texas.

As is becoming a theme amongst Texas recruiting, Herb Hand is a big reason that Conner is enamored with the Longhorns: “He’s an awesome guy. I love hanging out with him whenever I go up to campus. I know that he cooks for his guys every Friday, so that’s a positive.”

Insider Note: After speaking to people around Hayden Conner, this recruitment may enter it’s sunset sooner than most. Things seem to be settling into place. I wrote very early on that the Conner’s love the idea of the Big 10. They have their favorite offers (aside from one), but was also told that Hayden has always had an eye for the Burnt Orange. If he stays in state, he’s a Longhorn.

E.J. Holland: Four-star DL Tunmise Adeleye talks Texas

Texas hosted four-star 2021 Katy Tompkins defensive lineman Tunmise Adeleye back in February for its junior day weekend. The trip to Austin was one of Adeleye’s favorite of the offseason. “The junior day visit was good,” Adeleye said. “It separated itself from Texas A&M and OU because I know a lot of players at Texas and have built relationships with them. I wasn’t really focused on the coaches because they tell you what you want to hear at every school. I heard from Moro (Ojomo), Peter (Mpagi) and Keondre Coburn and got their thoughts on the program, which was really cool.”

While a pitch from a coach isn’t at the top of Adeleye’s checklist, he still wants to build a solid relationship with his position coach. And UT assistant Oscar Giles has been in frequent contact. “He’s a great guy,” Adeleye said. “He knows what he’s talking about when it comes to the defensive line position. It’s always great talking to him.” Adeleye currently holds 20 offers from across the country. Right now, Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions.

So where exactly do the Longhorns stand? “It’s a battle right now,” Adeleye said. “Texas is right up there with Alabama, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. I can’t really put anyone at the top right now because it’s early. I probably won’t commit until some time during my senior year or during the early period.” At 6-foot-3, 260 pounds, Adeleye is ranked as the No. 6 strong-side defensive end and No. 47 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

IT

We've mentioned how 2021 has some solid advantages built into it. Recruitments that come to mind are the Brockermeyer's and Preston Stone's. Cornerback Latrell McCutchin can probably be added to the list, though it isn't quite the slam dunk those others *should* be.

McCutchin is the Jalen Kimber of his class. A silky smooth corner with great coverage skills, he was born to play the position. He also has absurd length with a 76 3/4" wingspan.

The Austin LBJ product is in line to have a very busy spring. I believe he's the #1 instate corner if not the top corner overall on the big board and wouldn't be surprised by an offer in the near future. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington will likely swing by his school soon.

Given proximity, Texas has a head start on other schools. McCutchin recently stated, "There’s nothing like imagining what it would be like for my family to be able to watch me in person every week in college."

That written, McCutchin has a top list of schools in mind. "Only a few offers will matter in the end. Let's just say my top-five is already instilled in my head." He didn't want to elaborate but that will come out in time.

It's early, and I expect McCutchin to take his time with the process, but UT will have some things going for it no other school can match unless St. Edward's puts together a team.

Texas has yet to offer any 2021 defensive backs. That could change soon.

#####

I recently caught up with 2021 o-line stalwarts Reuben Fatheree, Bryce Foster, and Hayden Conner. They all pretty much offered the same formulaic comments. Texas is great, they like Coach Hand, West Texas starts wherever @Sneezybeltran stands etc.

In asking around about these guys, I get the sense Texas is in great shape for Fatheree (Richmond Foster). I know the network and emphasis on life after football are plusses in the household. I still think it's going to be a hard-fought recruitment and OU landing his teammate Cody Jackson isn't insignificant. OU will be hanging around quite a bit and if UT lands Tommy Brockermeyer they'll of course try to split franchise left tackle aces.

Academics will play a major role with Hayden Conner (Katy Taylor). He just made a tweet with four schools pictured: Texas, A&M, Stanford, and Michigan. That's essentially an early top-four. He wants to make a decision after his junior year so not too far off in the distance. That'll be here before you know it.

For Foster (Katy Taylor), track and field will play a role. He has an excellent relationship with Herb Hand already and that helps. Foster should be in Austin soon for the state track and field meet, btw.

One factor I'm still getting to know is if A&M will receiver a bounce with the Josh Henson hire. I think so far it's been a positive move for them and I expect that to be the case long-term. How much it helps remains to be seen.

Is it possible those three, along with Episcopal's Donovan Jackson, could all play together. Yes, it is possible. I'm not saying it's likely or they're a packaged deal or anything like that, but it is possible. It will be in schools' best interest to try to get those guys on campus together when possible. Fatheree, Foster, and Conner made it to the UT spring game. Jackson was at Ohio State.

An interesting note on Jackson: His mother is a die-hard Ohio State fan, to the point it's a concern. However, his father is a die-hard Michigan fan which counter-weights that. That's an interesting dynamic with UT fitting the profile of those two and possibly serving as a compromise school.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Four-star DL Tunmise Adeleye talks Texas

Hide contents

Texas hosted four-star 2021 Katy Tompkins defensive lineman Tunmise Adeleye back in February for its junior day weekend. The trip to Austin was one of Adeleye’s favorite of the offseason. “The junior day visit was good,” Adeleye said. “It separated itself from Texas A&M and OU because I know a lot of players at Texas and have built relationships with them. I wasn’t really focused on the coaches because they tell you what you want to hear at every school. I heard from Moro (Ojomo), Peter (Mpagi) and Keondre Coburn and got their thoughts on the program, which was really cool.”

While a pitch from a coach isn’t at the top of Adeleye’s checklist, he still wants to build a solid relationship with his position coach. And UT assistant Oscar Giles has been in frequent contact. “He’s a great guy,” Adeleye said. “He knows what he’s talking about when it comes to the defensive line position. It’s always great talking to him.” Adeleye currently holds 20 offers from across the country. Right now, Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions.

So where exactly do the Longhorns stand? “It’s a battle right now,” Adeleye said. “Texas is right up there with Alabama, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. I can’t really put anyone at the top right now because it’s early. I probably won’t commit until some time during my senior year or during the early period.” At 6-foot-3, 260 pounds, Adeleye is ranked as the No. 6 strong-side defensive end and No. 47 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Brandon Drumm went an put in a crystal ball for OU. Lulz. Stupid Sooner.