Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

IT

TONY GRIMES AND LATRELL NEVILLE

One is a potential 2021 five-star corner from Virginia. The other is a 2021 wide receiver from Texas with a long list of huge offers. They not only play mirroring sides of the ball, they're also cousins.

Neville, the wide receiver, was offered by Texas long ago. Grimes picked his UT offer up last week, with an assist from Neville.

Here are some interesting quotes from Grimes' father.

"Latrell Neville is really good friends with my son and he calls me Uncle. He put me in touch with Coach Samples, but Coach Washington was already researching and trying to get in touch with our school. As you can see it all worked out..."

"Well, UT has always had his interest. UT has a Top 20 architectural engineering program. Trust me, Tony is going to take a hard look at UT which mean they will see us on campus a few times."

"They are impressed with his time management; to be in high school and have an itinerary scheduled out of his entire day week by week. From workouts to study time, service time to the community and even personal time. They are impressed with his grades and how he is working to be a spring enrollee. They are impressed with his ability on the football field and how he has been a captain since he was a freshman..."

"He was just the 3rd player in the state of Virginia to be invited to the Rivals 5-Star Challenge as a sophomore. Quin Blanding, Levonta Taylor and now Tony."

Both Blanding and Taylor were five-stars. Grimes was also just invited to the Under Armour Future 50 camp.

From Neville:

On Latrell helping facilitate the Texas offer for Grimes:
"Yeah man, we want to play together and that might be the place."

What schools are standing out early on for the duo?
"Clemson, Ohio State, Maryland, Michigan, Georgia. I"ll actually visit all those schools this summer as well as Texas."

Mehringer was recently at Willowridge. He can't talk to Neville because of his class, but...
"Yessir, him and my mom actually have a really good relationship."

Look for Grimes and Neville to make it to Texas this May.

SAMARI COLLIER

The 2021 QB/ATH from DeSoto has been keeping tabs on Texas and vice versa. After visiting Austin in February, Collier has seen his recruitment start to rise.

“It’s been good so far,” said Collier. “I’m truly blessed and I plan on visiting a lot more colleges. It’s a good experience.”

For the former Duncanville ATH, who are some of the early suitors at this stage?

“Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and TCU are hitting me up the most,” said Collier.

The Horns have made an early impression on Collier, who comes from one of the most talent-laden programs in the Metroplex.

“Texas is one of the best colleges to attend,” said Collier. “I love the facilities and the coaches. They’ll always be on my list.”

Collier's college position isn't quite clear yet. He plays QB, but is open to other positions at the next level.

“I’m working at QB, trying to improve my game day by day,” Collier said. “I’m a student of the game, but I’ll play anywhere.”

He hit Oklahoma State’s campus last weekend and says he’ll camp at Texas in early June.

The Horns like him as an athlete, and Collier wants his shot at QB. We’ll know more after his summer camp scene.

DAMETRIOUS CROWNOVER

The 6-foot-5 Grandview Zebra stands out in a crowd and on the football field.

The junior-to-be was first recognized during his team’s state championship appearance, and now he's become a popular name on the recruiting trail.

Crownover visited Texas back in February and will return for camp this summer.

“Yes sir, I'm (going to) try to get down to Austin,” said Crownover. “I loved everything about that place at junior day."

Texas is in a solid spot in this recruitment, but other schools big schools are contending for Crownover's services.

“Ohio State, Michigan, Baylor, TCU, OU, and Texas are the main schools reaching out to me.”

He wants to take some visits this summer in order to get a better idea of where he’d fit.

“I will most likely take unofficials in June, maybe some in May,” Crownover said. “Satellite camps and see some campuses."

He doesn’t have an early leader, but that might change during his junior campaign.

“I want to keep my options open,” said Crownover. “I will most likely go and try to visit as many schools as possible. Just to get a good feel for the program and staff.”

Texas looks good here early. That won’t change anytime soon.

LAKE MCREE

One of the weapons Card mentioned he has for this season has the Longhorn coaching staff’s attention.

2021 tight end Lake McRee was Card’s primary target during LTHS’ Friday scrimmage. McRee lined up attached in-line, in the backfield, and in the slot as the Cavs’ tight end option. He hauled in passes, made defenders miss, and was an active blocker in the run game.

He understands how versatile he is as a 6-foot-4 pass catcher, and how his skill-set allows him to line up all over the field.

“They can be lined up as wide receiver or they can be put in the backfield,” McRee said of his position in the offense. “It’s a little bit of everything. That’s why I like playing this position.”

So far, McRee has offers from nine schools including Baylor, North Texas, TCU, and UTSA from in-state. Alabama was at Friday’s scrimmage and kept a close eye on McRee.

Texas joined that list on Thursday, and McRee beamed about the offer from his hometown team.

“It was crazy,” McRee said of the Texas offer. “It was a dream come true. I’ve been living here my whole life, looking up to Texas, watching Texas, going to all the games, so getting that call was just a blessing.”

McRee communicates with tight ends coach Derek Warehime, and said he’s gotten to know him over the past few months.

As a 2021 with nine reported offers, the process is still in its beginning stages for McRee. He said he planned to wait and see how spring goes before making any decisions.

NAME TO REMEMBER

Hudson Card’s name started to gain some buzz in the recruiting scene when he locked down the backup QB spot during his sophomore season. Now, another Lake Travis QB is starting to get his name out there.

2021 Nate Yarnell may not see a ton of close-game action this season, but the 6-foot-5, 180 pound quarterback already has an offer from Houston.

He showed an accurate deep ball and the ability to step up in the pocket Friday, including firing a long TD pass to McRee.

Despite the UH offer, Yarnell isn’t hearing from a ton of schools, nor does he seem to be too concerned about recruiting. He plans to keep his options open this spring and summer and camp at several schools.

Just now, texifornia said:

Maybe for this kid? Or just shooting the shit with the coaches and keeping up relationships.

https://247sports.com/Player/Knox-Boyd-46054114/

Apparently the coaches are interested in this guy:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/9394152/Deuce-Harmon

https://247sports.com/Player/Deuce-Harmon-46057334/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Apparently the coaches are interested in this guy:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/9394152/Deuce-Harmon

https://247sports.com/Player/Deuce-Harmon-46057334/

51 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm assuming he's related to De'Vion

Well, the 40 inch vertical certainly jumps off the page. pretty much negates the height concerns and yeah, he's De'Vion's little brother. 

1 hour ago, MexHorn said:
1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:
Dametrious Crownover is blowing up with offers this week.

With that name i will assume that hes basically the 2021 overshown

At first I didn't catch the Dametrious Crownover part and I thought his name was Grandview Zebra. I was thinking that if there's a recruit out there named Grandview Zebra and Tom Herman does NOT offer him then I am going to kick Henry James' puppy, Little Elvis.  Don't get me wrong, Dametrious Crownover is a great name, too, but Grandview Zebra would have been on another level.

• Haha 1

TFB on Bryce Foster: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-weekend-may-3rd-5th/

Top 2021 OL Breaks Down Texas Visit

Katy Taylor 2021 OL Bryce Foster is no stranger to the city of Austin. He was on campus last fall to take in a UT home game and was back in town a few weeks ago for the Orange-White Spring Game.

Foster has been a name that recruiting junkies have known about for a while, as he and fellow 2021 teammate Hayden Conner have been starters for Katy Taylor’s Varsity Football team since they were Freshmen. I asked Bryce what it was like to finally be reaching the point where he can start focusing on choosing the program that can best help him achieve his goals.

“It’s crazy to think that it has become a reality. I always told people (growing up) that I have aspirations of playing football in college and in the NFL. I just want to make my family proud.”

What is Foster looking for during this process?

“I want to be able to go to a place that will let me play football and let me throw (Foster is a standout in the Shot Put and Discus). I also want the school I choose to have great academics, because once you hang up the cleats, you have to rely on your education for your future career.”

Foster named Oregon, Texas, and Texas A&M as teams that he grew up watching as a youth. As far as who is recruiting him the hardest, Foster informed me that Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Texas are the schools that have been in contact the most with the 6’4, 318lb mauler.

Foster has now already visited Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Texas unofficially. When I tried to see if I could get Foster to maybe tip his hand a bit and tell me what stands out the most about some of his favorites, he gave me a very seasoned response.

“They’re all great. Just the relationship that they have with their players. They are all about making good relationships. Also, the food is great at all of them, (laughs).”

Foster told me that the only plans that he has this summer is to visit Oregon and that he “hadn’t looked that far into (taking any other trips).” Foster plans to release a list of top schools at the end of his Junior season.

My Take: Foster is one of the best linemen available in a loaded in-state 2021 class. While he has offers from all over the country and is particularly fond of Oregon, I believe that Foster will be a Texas/OU/A&M battle in no particular order. It’s still early in his recruitment, but he’s visited College Station and Austin multiple times. He would have been present for Oklahoma’s spring game instead of the Texas spring game had Oklahoma not moved their game at the last-minute due to concerns about inclement weather. This one is too tough for me to call this early and I think the 2019 seasons at all three of the aforementioned schools will play a big part in what he ultimately decides.

Foster will be participating in the Shot Put and Discus next weekend in Austin with a legitimate opportunity of taking home Gold in both events. Foster has the best shot-put mark in the state this year.

A couple IT snippets

Now in 2021, Texas has identified a handful of linebacker in-state prospects like Jadarius Thursby, Clayton Smith, Trevion Sneed and others. The relationships are being established and progressing to a point you'll see some offers in the next month or so.

East Texas is loaded in the 2021 class and three players who are on offer watch are Pleasant Grove defensive lineman Marcus Burris, Texas High B-backer Clayton Smith, and Mineola linebacker Trevion Sneed. These three are absolute ballers who will grow into the next crop of players you worry about.

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

SIAP: New TE offer out to 5 star Moliki Matavao

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/moliki-matavao-234517

New TE offer out to 5-star Cane Berrong:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/cane-berrong-234297

Great post generally but Rivals links are worthless 

Edited by texifornia

IT

Pleasant Grove High

For over 30 years (I'm 41) living in East Texas, Pleasant Grove was always that team you scheduled on Homecoming. Great baseball, decent hoops, and average at virtually everything else, especially football. Then they hired Josh Gibson five years ago and the foundation was laid. The son of a former college football coach, Gibson had a vision for a program without one. Respect, accountability, hard work, and attitude were his themes. Battling other area schools - Texas High, Liberty Eylau - for attention was difficult.

But slowly but surely he began to right the ship. First was a playoff berth. Then two rounds deep. Then an unprecedented run that culminated in a 4A State Championship in 2017. And another in 2018 that ended at state to a Gobbler named Jordan Whittington, who Gibson says is the greatest high school football player he's ever seen. Now they want more. And with its Class of 2021 - Landon Jackson, Marcus Burris, and Nick Martin - not to mention some seasoned seniors, a state championship is the only goal.

For Texas, these aren't new names. They started building a relationship with Jackson over a year ago, when he had one offer - Texas A&M. Derek Warehime and Oscar Giles have been tremendous with Gibson's Hawks, namely Jackson and Burris.

Both visited on Junior Day and both walked away with a greater sense of Texas Football. For the 6-foot-5, 265-pounder, Burris' recruitment blew up.

"It got crazy when Alabama offered," said Burris. "It's one of the top schools in the nation. It's a big step going from UT's Junior Day to visiting Alabama, to getting an offer. Then Miami and Texas A&M offered. I visited A&M and had a good time. I got to know Coach (Terry) Price, the DL coach, so it was nice."

Now that he realizes his value, he knows he has to work even harder. This offseason will be big for Burris, a prospect that's finally growing into his massive frame.

"I want to work on my speed, coming off the ball, use my hands better, really improve on everything," Burris said. "I want coach Gibson and college coaches to see me and say,' I can play you anywhere on the defensive line.' That's my goal, to be more versatile."

In UT's defense, that's precisely what they need.

"I really like Texas," said Burris. "They were really one of the first schools to start talking to me. Coach Giles is wonderful. I can't wait to get back to Austin."

As for Jackson, the elite edge-rusher has pretty much every offer you'd want, and he's only played as a freshman and half his sophomore season. At 6-foot-6, 240, that isn't a surprise. Texas, Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, and OU are among his 20+ offers. For a kid with a father that played college hoops in College Station, you'd think the Aggies have the early advantage, and you'd be wrong.

"I've loved my visits so far," Jackson said. "At Texas, Alabama, and Texas A&M, I had a great time. I'll probably visit A&M and Texas again this summer. Then I want to see Miami, OU, and a few other schools.

As for the Longhorns, he's seen Austin almost as much as the Minister of Culture. And he'll come back for more.

"Basically the whole tradition is amazing," Jackson said. "Their game days are incredible, their stands are loud, the students know me, that place is lit. It's pretty great."

His timeline is naming a Top 5 by the end of this summer, taking those visits, then committing to a school in August before his senior year. And for those that think A&M has the advantage with it being his father's alma mater, think again. This kid is always decked out in burnt orange and when he told me he's closer to coach Giles than any other coach, that's another data point for the Longhorns.

This has a ways to go, but it's looking great so far. Just like building a HS program in Pleasant Grove.

"I feel great being a leader at Pleasant Grove," said Jackson. "I just want to make it back to state, and possibly play in the state championship all four years of high school career."

Lofty goal, but the kid has already been there twice with two years left and a stacked 2021 class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Since I'm pretty sure they don't have any 2020s

Derrick Harris.  He's visited a few times.  IT thinks he gets offered and could be as soon as this evening.

This class has a ton of b-backer options ( Harris, Clayton Smith and not sure if Ja'Tavion Sanders is b-backer, TE, or eventually DL?? ).