Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

IT 2021 visitors list

QB Bronson McClelland, Katy (Katy, TX): System guy that might fit most systems as a solid QB2 option, or go to the MAC and kill it. These guys can be tricky because so much of the evaluation is between the ears. Maybe he's Andy Dalton.

RB Brandon Campbell, Pearland High (Pearland, TX): Lit up the Nike SPARQ event with a 126. That's insane for a sophomore. His dad is a physical therapist and Campbell's body moves how it was intended. He recently picked up a Houston offer and will attend the Cougar's Spring Game on Friday night.

RB Cam’Ron Valdez, Rockdale (Rockdale, TX): Rockdale has a knack for producing explosive, diminutive prospects, that typically go to OU. Valdez is different from Daniel Brooks and Jaquayln Crawford as he possess a measure of physicality the other two didn't. He'll make his second trip to campus this week.

RB Darius Hale, Dobie (Pasadena, TX): He's 208 pounds and recently ran a 4.69 40 which is better than many will give him credit for. He's a natural for the position. He'll visit Oklahoma State on Friday before making his way to Austin. He already holds Baylor and U of H offers and should have made the recent top-50 players in the Class of 2021 list.

RB Jerand Bradley, John Paul II (Plano, TX): Basketball length with receiver skills. He already holds Colorado and Arkansas offers.

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo (Aledo, TX): Pure speed and quickness, he’ll be what Ryan Newsome always wanted to be. He’s a walking mismatch. Texas leads.

WR Dylan Goffney, Bridgeland (Cypress, TX): He just picked up Arkansas for his very first offer. You'll note how proactive Arkansas is, how proactive they have to be. He's a solid player, but may project more to a possession role.

WR Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Willowridge (Sugar Land, TX): He’s been visiting UT since he was 5’11. Now 6’3, and loaded with national offers, Neville needs to establish himself in 2019.

TE Var’Keyes Gumms, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX): Plus+ athlete and already a good blocker, or at least aggressive, blocker.

TE Lake McRee, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): This tall drink of water has some potential, and a few early offers. A little stiff, but growing into his frame. 

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints’ Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX): The so-called "other" Brockermeyer is salty in his own right. I can’t imagine the wrestling sessions at home. Potential offer alert, but more likely when Hand visits Fort Worth and sees him up close.

OL Tommy Brockermeyer, All Saints’ Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX): Alpha recruit in a group of elite prospects. His ceiling his Joe Thomas. Not much else to say here.

OL Hayden Conner, Taylor (Katy, TX): Getting Conner back on campus isn’t rocket science; direct him towards the Moncrief mission control and let Herb Hand be his flight instructor. 

OL Bryce Foster, Taylor (Katy, TX): One of the nation’s top shot putters and offensive guards, he and Conner form a formidable OL. Foster and Hand are soulmates, or at least it seems that way.

OL Jonah Miller, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): Long, lean, and mean, the 6’6 offensive tackle already attended Junior Day. He actually flies in on Friday. I mentioned his offer list doesn't correspond to his size and ability, "Ohh it’s funny, 247 doesn’t have my offers updated. I have Nebraska, Colorado, ASU, and U of A. And yes Bijan is a great guy and he treats his linemen well." Miller of course blocks for Bijan Robinson. How did UT get him back so soon? "Yeah, Coach showed some interest in me when I went to the junior day and so I felt compelled to take another visit and hopefully get offered!"

DE Jordon Thomas, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX): Garnered the early Texas offer after an UOV in January. Relatively unknown, now the 6’3, 230-pound athlete is catching the attention of others.

DE Shemar Turner, Kountze (Kountze, TX): He might be a better hoops prospect, but shows spurts of skill on the gridiron too. 

DT Landyn Watson, Hutto (Hutto, TX): The 2021 defensive lineman has some impressive suitors. Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame have shown interest, but a Texas offer would be a difference maker.

LB Donnie Moody, Judson (Converse, TX): Quick, OLB with good instincts. The 6-foot, 210 pounder says, "At the moment I’m talking to UTSA but other schools have followed me on Twitter such as Colorado, TCU, OSU, Mizzou, Boston College, and Nebraska but I can’t necessarily talk to them yet because of my classification."

LB Clayton Smith, Texas High (Texarkana, TX): The under-the-radar stud has size (6’4, 220), speed (runs 4x100), and ability to morph into an all-everything linebacker. Arkansas just offered. Texas is high on him and he's a great fit for B-backer.

CB Cyrion Morrison, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): Local athlete that could be a CB/safety steal with growth and work ethic.

CB Latrell McCutchin, LBJ (Austin, TX): Possibly the top cover man in-state for 2021, the local stud is squarely on UT’s radar and vice versa.

CB Hunter Washington, Katy High (Katy, TX): As a sub-6-foot corner, size is likely Washington's main detriment. Still, he plays physically and stays on the receiver's hip.

S JD Coffey III, Kennedale (Kennedale, TX): The 6’0, 180-pound safety will be in the conversation for the best in-state at his position. He’s been on campus before, and Texas thinks he could be a great fit. He's a true ball hawk in center field. He wants to see how the defense operates but understands some safeties are hurt. Right now Oklahoma State is probably showing the most interest and he'll visit them soon. He's also hearing from A&M and Utah. My only question here is frame and how much will he comfortably carry. He's a baller, though.

S Kavian Gaither, Connally (Waco, TX): At only 5’9, he makes up for it with speed, change of direction, and cat-like quicks. Plays mostly nickel, but will move to CB this spring. If he grows, he needs a hard look. Texas likes him but is seeing first hand with D'shawn Jamison that even when you're an elite athlete you can struggle with giant receivers at 5'9.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT 2021 visitors list

Hide contents

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints’ Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX): The so-called "other" Brockermeyer is salty in his own right. I can’t imagine the wrestling sessions at home. Potential offer alert, but more likely when Hand visits Fort Worth and sees him up close.

@closetojumpingis this more 9.95er BS or is Hand really the hold up?

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Darius Terrell has a good writeup of 2021 DL in today's TFB post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-12th-14th/

Damn. That’s one of the best 9.95er updates I’ve ever read. Ton of grey content in there. Props to @OnAComputer and co.

and by co., I mean your 5 other socks on here.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:04 AM, closetojumping said:

I remember being told, flatly, that he was bought and paid for by Bama very, very early in the cycle, from two places that would absolutely know from each end. Watching the premise of him being interested elsewhere, whether LSU or Texas or wherever, then watching those fans get their hopes up, made me wonder whether I wished I didn’t know shit like that, or whether it was more fun to watch these poor bastards get excited. Still don’t know which I would choose.

I know that with a guy like Marcel Brooks, I’m glad some of us knew the background, given what a fucking dirtbag he is, and that there was very little handwringing by anyone on this board accordingly. I cannot think about the level of idiocy on 24/7 created by that goober EJ Holland’s chronic updates on Texas being interested in him. 

i heard the same recently about Leal.

TE Lake McRee, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): This tall drink of water has some potential, and a few early offers. A little stiff, but growing into his frame. 

He has received offers from Arizona, Arizona State, and Arkansas. He has played TE for 1 season, was a QB before that. He is 6'4, can jump and run well (played on LT Varsity FTBL and Basketball as a soph) and has great hands. Needs to add weight and continue to learn the TE position. great kid. my son's best friend. he is taking my son with him to the UT Spring game. 

Texas is monitoring him and he could earn an offer later depending on development. He would love to be a Longhorn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

i heard the same recently about Leal.

This could also explain why aggy's 2019 start is off to such a bad start. Their chief bagmen left for North Carolina. Only Jones has committed and stayed since Brewster left.

Edited by HtownHorn

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This could also explain why aggy's 2019 start is off to such a bad start. Their chief bagmen left for North Carolina. Only Jones has committed and stayed since Brewster left.

Dameyune Craig is the definition of a bagman - Brew can also flat out recruit with no extra help. He's still around.

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

Darius Terrell has a good writeup of 2021 DL in today's TFB post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-12th-14th/

This is a great write up.  That 2021 DL is going to be one of the better ones of the decade.  It's insane that Pleasant Grove has 2 high ranked DL prospects on the same line.  If Texas can land Turner, Jackson, Adeleye ... along with 1 more DL project like prospect, then that will be a home run class.  Really wish Burris would consider Texas.  He's damn good.

And holy hell... there's a 6'8 305lb DT.   Wonder how he will develop.

Edited by victory88

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This is a great write up.  That 2021 DL is going to be one of the better ones of the decade.  It's insane that Pleasant Grove has 2 high ranked DL prospects on the same line.  If Texas can land Turner, Jackson, Adeleye ... along with 1 more DL project like prospect, then that will be a home run class.  Really wish Burris would consider Texas.  He's damn good.

Good chance Jordon Thomas is in the class.  Blackshire probably ends up on DL.  

Don't think we've offered Burris yet.

Also, Cali., Arizona, and Missouri all have an early 5* DL.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Good chance Jordon Thomas is in the class.  Blackshire probably ends up on DL.  

Don't think we've offered Burris yet.

Also, Cali., Arizona, and Missouri all have an early 5* DL.

Totally forgot about Blackshire.  If Giles somehow fucks up the 2021 DL class this board will start flying banners over DKR.  It's like Drayton this year with RBs.

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Totally forgot about Blackshire.  If Giles somehow fucks up the 2021 DL class this board will start flying banners over DKR.  It's like Drayton this year with RBs.

Jackson is an aggy legacy, so that'll always be factored in with that recruitment, but he's visited Texas a ton.