2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I just want baseball to be more popular, dag nabbit!

I am in awe at how much of the sports entertainment universe is dominated by the NFL, a sport that only plays five months out of the year but manages to be the main topic of discussion for twelve. It's amazing what they've accomplished.

the country is filled with idiots.  idiots like violence.  i'm comfortable with the relationships i have with professional sports leagues.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it made milb more enjoyable.

That is true. There was a fun in watching the minors everyday.  There was a bond amongst die hards checking progress of guys like Springer, Correa, Fatass drug smoking 1b whose name I've blocked out of my mind b/c it still hurts too much, damn it.  Also- going to the game for $7.00 for adults, $1.00 for kids and sitting wherever I wanted had a certain charm. 

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I just want baseball to be more popular, dag nabbit!

I am in awe at how much of the sports entertainment universe is dominated by the NFL, a sport that only plays five months out of the year but manages to be the main topic of discussion for twelve. It's amazing what they've accomplished.

I think the biggest thing about that is scarcity. Man, you only have to pay attention for 3 hours a week- 1 day a week to follow your team.  Baseball has 3,000,000 people go to a game. The NFL has 500,000  It's apples and oranges and the nature of the sport lends itself to scarcity.  I wonder what baseball attendance would look like if it was only played Friday-Sunday May 1-August 31?  I mean- I would hate that b/c part of what I love is the everydayness of baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That is true. There was a fun in watching the minors everyday.  There was a bond amongst die hards checking progress of guys like Springer, Correa, Fatass drug smoking 1b whose name I've blocked out of my mind b/c it still hurts too much, damn it.  Also- going to the game for $7.00 for adults, $1.00 for kids and sitting wherever I wanted had a certain charm. 

Singleton?  Where is he now? --> Edit...

Diablos Rojos del México[edit]

On April 2, 2020, Singleton signed with the Diablos Rojos del México of the Mexican League. Singleton did not play in a game in 2020 due to the cancellation of the Mexican League because of the COVID-19 pandemic.[24] On November 4, 2020, he was traded to the Guerreros de Oaxaca of the Mexican League. Later, on May 24, 2021, Singleton was traded back to the Diablos Rojos without appearing in a game for the Guerreros.

Milwaukee Brewers[edit]

On December 9, 2021, Singleton signed a minor league contract with the Milwaukee Brewers.[25]

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

The mandatory Spring Training report date for all clubs is Sunday. Exhibition games will begin on March 17 or 18.

As part of the agreement, a Joint Competition Committee will be formed comprised of four active players, six members appointed by MLB and one umpire. Beginning in 2023, the committee will be tasked with adopting changes to playing rules such as a pitch clock, base size, defensive positioning and automatic ball/strike zone.

Pre-arbitration bonus pool

• $50 million (to be distributed to the top 100 players based on awards and statistical performance).

• MLB and the MLBPA will jointly develop a statistical method to allocate the funds.

• Under this system, NL Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes would have seen his salary jump from $608,000 to $4.2 million last season, while Rookie of the Year winners Randy Arozarena and Jonathan India would have seen their respective salaries more than triple in 2021.

---

• International Draft would be 20 rounds (600-plus selections), increasing the total compensation earned by amateurs by more than $20 million annually.

• Signing bonuses would be guaranteed for drafted players.

• Clubs who select players from growth countries (countries with less than 0.5% of signings in the previous three signing periods) will receive additional selections to incentivize scouting and signing in emerging markets.

• Top prospects who finish 1st or 2nd in the Rookie of the Year voting will receive a full year of service.

• Clubs promoting top prospects to Opening Day rosters will be eligible to receive Draft picks if the player finishes in the Top 3 in the Rookie of the Year voting or Top 5 in MVP/Cy Young voting.

• Expanded postseason: 12 teams, with the top two division winners receiving a bye.

• Universal designated hitter.

• Players may only be optioned five times per season.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Singleton?  Where is he now? --> Edit...

Diablos Rojos del México[edit]

On April 2, 2020, Singleton signed with the Diablos Rojos del México of the Mexican League. Singleton did not play in a game in 2020 due to the cancellation of the Mexican League because of the COVID-19 pandemic.[24] On November 4, 2020, he was traded to the Guerreros de Oaxaca of the Mexican League. Later, on May 24, 2021, Singleton was traded back to the Diablos Rojos without appearing in a game for the Guerreros.

Milwaukee Brewers[edit]

On December 9, 2021, Singleton signed a minor league contract with the Milwaukee Brewers.[25]

Diablos Rojos are like the Yankees down there. Mexican League always had great team names. There’s even one team called the Mariachis. 

Yup, the Guadalajara Mariachis. Saltillo Saraperos is a close second. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The mandatory Spring Training report date for all clubs is Sunday. Exhibition games will begin on March 17 or 18.

As part of the agreement, a Joint Competition Committee will be formed comprised of four active players, six members appointed by MLB and one umpire. Beginning in 2023, the committee will be tasked with adopting changes to playing rules such as a pitch clock, base size, defensive positioning and automatic ball/strike zone.

Pre-arbitration bonus pool

• $50 million (to be distributed to the top 100 players based on awards and statistical performance).

• MLB and the MLBPA will jointly develop a statistical method to allocate the funds.

• Under this system, NL Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes would have seen his salary jump from $608,000 to $4.2 million last season, while Rookie of the Year winners Randy Arozarena and Jonathan India would have seen their respective salaries more than triple in 2021.

---

• International Draft would be 20 rounds (600-plus selections), increasing the total compensation earned by amateurs by more than $20 million annually.

• Signing bonuses would be guaranteed for drafted players.

• Clubs who select players from growth countries (countries with less than 0.5% of signings in the previous three signing periods) will receive additional selections to incentivize scouting and signing in emerging markets.

• Top prospects who finish 1st or 2nd in the Rookie of the Year voting will receive a full year of service.

• Clubs promoting top prospects to Opening Day rosters will be eligible to receive Draft picks if the player finishes in the Top 3 in the Rookie of the Year voting or Top 5 in MVP/Cy Young voting.

• Expanded postseason: 12 teams, with the top two division winners receiving a bye.

• Universal designated hitter.

• Players may only be optioned five times per season.

The competition committee is structured in such a way that MLB can do whatever they want to with rules changes (as it damn well should be) but that they have to have input from players and umps.  But they don't have to listen to them.  They outvote them 6-5.  I hope that that committee doesn't become adversarial and they can work together to fix some things in the game- with input from everyone. 

I love baseball.  Love it. My first love as a sport.  Still probably is.  I have season tickets and got to 20+ games a year. But man, going 3.5 hours on a 5-3 game in August sucks.  When they used to play games in 2:30 or 2:45 and a 3:00 hour game was an oddity and a treat because it meant they were going to score 21 runs or something that was the right pace of play.  The game has got to get the pace of play back where it used to be.  That will decrease time and increase action and make the product so so so much better. Everyone who saw the pitch clock in the A league it was used in said it was awesome. That's team personnel, players, broadcasters, media etc.  And the action went up and the three true outcomes went down.  

I really haven't talked to the fan yet that says- give me more TT0's in the game- what I just hate is when the bat is put on the ball and runners start moving and guys start making plays etc).  Just so much would prefer 25 punch outs a game, 9 walks 2 homeruns and 9 hits with no stolen bases. Yeah, give me more of that.  

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The competition committee is structured in such a way that MLB can do whatever they want to with rules changes (as it damn well should be) but that they have to have input from players and umps.  But they don't have to listen to them.  They outvote them 6-5.  I hope that that committee doesn't become adversarial and they can work together to fix some things in the game- with input from everyone. 

I would have loved to see that committee include members who weren't with the owners or MLBPA.  Put a few Hall of Famers or media members on it.  

I'm sitting here watching college basketball, which becomes largely unwatchable once there are 2 minutes left in the game because of all the play stoppages.  But CBB won't fix that because the coaches govern rule changes and coaches like all the play stoppages. The coaches don't care about making the game more watchable or fan-friendly.  

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I would have loved to see that committee include members who weren't with the owners or MLBPA.  Put a few Hall of Famers or media members on it.  

I'm sitting here watching college basketball, which becomes largely unwatchable once there are 2 minutes left in the game because of all the play stoppages.  But CBB won't fix that because the coaches govern rule changes and coaches like all the play stoppages. The coaches don't care about making the game more watchable or fan-friendly.  

Yeah- that would have been fine.  Hopefully they will talk to people that are stakeholders in the game about that kind of stuff. You WANT players to have input on rules but you don't want to give them a veto b/c then they do stupid stuff like use that in a negotiation over money when you are like- hey dickheads- can we agree to make the product better and then get around to fighting about the cash (not that MLB doesn't do other obnoxious or worse stuff to feather their own nest- but I think with rules of the game I trust them more than the players to be the guardians of that kind of shit- but a random collection of HOFer's, media and maybe a fan representative who runs for office of "fan on the board" would even be a cool idea." You know, as long as they have all the power of a student council.

And the basketball end game is so easy to fix.  Elam ending.  It literally makes every end of game problem go away and you just play basketball all the way through.  I hope this happens before I die.  I think it might.  

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And the basketball end game is so easy to fix.  Elam ending.  It literally makes every end of game problem go away and you just play basketball all the way through.  I hope this happens before I die.  I think it might.  

It will happen when they take the rule changes away from the coaches.  

I think everyone in MLB is waaaay too conservative about making rule changes, especially the MLBPA.  Until they make a rule change that lasts only one year and then is rescinded, I don't think they're trying hard enough to improve the game.  Would love to see a bunch of rule changes just to see what works and what doesn't, and if it doesn't, oh well, change it back. 

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’d imagine a pitch clock would speed up the game even more with base runners on. That’s an easy jump if you see the clock winding down & the pitcher has yet to throw it. 

That’s not how it would work. This is what they did during 2019 spring training

The timer will begin when the pitcher receives the throw back from the catcher. It will not be used for the first pitch of an at-bat but then will be used for each subsequent pitch.

There are exceptions. The pitch clock will not be used after a foul ball, a mound visit or the umpire calls “time." The timer will reset to 20 seconds after a pickoff play, wild pitch or passed ball, or if a pitcher steps off the rubber with runners on base.

Edited by TonyTexas

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Diablos Rojos are like the Yankees down there. Mexican League always had great team names. There’s even one team called the Mariachis. 

Yup, the Guadalajara Mariachis. Saltillo Saraperos is a close second. 

When I was young, we lived in Mexico City, and I was a fan of the Tigres, which is the other Mexico City team. We hated the Diablo Rojos because they were the enemy, but they were always much better. I went to multiple Tigres games, and a couple against the D.R.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

When I was young, we lived in Mexico City, and I was a fan of the Tigres, which is the other Mexico City team. We hated the Diablo Rojos because they were the enemy, but they were always much better. I went to multiple Tigres games, and a couple against the D.R.

My grandpa played in some semi pro leagues in Mexico, he was always a fan of the Sultanes because he was from the area. I knew the names of some of the teams growing up but little else, wish I had followed it more. But yeah even I always knew the Diablos were king. Seems like a fun league. 

Yankees confirm they’re out on all major shortstops, putting all their eggs in the Volpe basket for 2023/24. Bold strategy cotton. Freddie Freeman come on down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Scraps said:

WARdle #2 - 6/8

emoji833.pngemoji833.pngemoji833.pngemoji833.png🟩🟩emoji833.png🟨emoji833.png
emoji833.pngemoji833.png🟩emoji833.png🟩🟩emoji833.pngemoji833.pngemoji833.png
emoji833.pngemoji833.png🟩emoji833.png🟩🟩emoji833.png🟩emoji833.png
emoji833.pngemoji833.png🟩🟩🟩🟩emoji833.pngemoji833.pngemoji833.png
emoji833.png🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩emoji833.png🟨emoji833.png
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://wardle.app

The craze has hit baseball now.

you son of a bitch.

WARdle #2 - 4/8

🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://wardle.app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Love the people saying they're done with baseball now that the NL has the DH.

As if the game's only worth watching if you get to see a pitcher go up there and strike out or try and put down a bunt 3-4 times a game. 

Take that part out and what's the point?!?!?!?!?!?

I was beyond tired of people acting like the double switch was one of the most insanely complex strategic moves in sports. Glad that’ll be over.

42 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Exactly.  I was thinking it would be fast and furious by now.

Not going to happen like that. It’ll take a long time for most of the big free agents to sign, Correa/Story/Freeman will all be unsigned until several weeks after the season starts. The frenzy people talked about was nothing more than wishful thinking to keep fans engaged. 

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not going to happen like that. It’ll take a long time for most of the big free agents to sign, Correa/Story/Freeman will all be unsigned until several weeks after the season starts. The frenzy people talked about was nothing more than wishful thinking to keep fans engaged. 

Several weeks after the regular season starts?  No fucking way dude. Name your bet.  They will all be signed by opening day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Several weeks after the regular season starts?  No fucking way dude. Name your bet.  They will all be signed by opening day. 

Ok I forgot we aren’t starting March 31 anymore. Freeman and Story will be signed, Correa will hold out until late April. Don’t feel confident enough to bet on it but it’s what my intuition is saying. 

A documentary about major-league icon Nolan Ryan is warming up in the bullpen ahead taking the mound at SXSW this weekend. Director Bradley Jackson’s Facing Nolan asks the question of just where one of baseball’s most dominant pitchers fits into the discussion about the history of the game.

Ryan, a Hall of Famer, played 27 seasons with one of the most feared fastballs in the history of the sport, helping him to 324 career wins, 5,714 strikeouts and a record seven no-hitters, the last of those when he was 44 years old. He also holds record for walks and wild pitches, given up the most grand slams and the most steals of any pitcher.

To get perspective on just what it was like to face Ryan — notorious for pitching inside to keep hitters honest (and a bit scared) — in a career with the New York Mets, California Angels, Houston Astros and Texas Rangers, Jackson interviewed Ryan as well as his teammates and opponents including “Pudge” Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, Rod Carew, Dave Winfield, Craig Biggio, George Brett, Roger Clemens and Pete Rose. George W. Bush, who owned the Rangers when Ryan played there, also sat down.

Russell Wayne Groves produced the docu, which is executive produced by Reid Ryan, David Check, Reese Ryan, Don Sanders, Ricky Stuart II, and Nolan Ryan.

The pic, which debuts as baseball’s labor unrest has already forced a postponement to the start of its 2022 season, has its world premiere Saturday in the Documentary Spotlight section at Austin-set SXSW, fitting given his Texas roots. It screens at the Zach Theater at 2:45 p.m. CT; in the U.S., it will be available to screen online Sunday at 9 a.m. CT. XYZ Films is handling sales.

SXSW kicks off its in-person edition Friday and runs through March 20.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Wow this is a horrid take 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1