• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Back when Rudder was forcing racial and gender integration upon the rednecks (and by doing so, saving the school from ruin), the editor of the school paper wrote an editorial in favor of the plan. He had bricks and balloons filled with ammonia thrown through his dorm window. When Leland McElroy was to be the first non-white football player to start a game (back in 1970) the night before the game, they burned a cross in front of the entrance to his dorm.

You may think you know the level of hatred for women and blacks on the aggy campus in the 1960s, but it was far worse than you can imagine.

And then there was this anecdote from the Texas Monthly bonfire collapse story from not too long ago (the money quote is at the end). The ags are largely a hate-filled bunch of small-minded, ignorant rednecks.  Always have been, always will be.

raDZyPu.jpg

'Lectric Leeland was not at a&m in the 70's.

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The ags have finally decided that women can walk dogs, thus setting the stage for the recent decision to allow a female to be the head dog walker and school mascot handler. This had lead to the inevitable aggy-on-aggy attacks we find so hilarious.

https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/2945473/1

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2945951/1

It has also lead to the inevitable idiot aggy comments. Not a very enlightened group of little rednecks.

At least some of them figured out what really drove the corp traditions.

Rubicante
12:50a, 4/17/18

"There were countless homo-erotic "character-building" rituals dreamt up by a sexually frustrated closeted upperclassmen we had to go through as fish. My least favorite was a week-long period in which we had to stuff all 20 of our mattresses in a single hole, and all had to sleep practically spooning each other in the same hole as the mattresses.

If our outfit had been integrated I'm sure I would have enjoyed this exercise much more."

My kid is soaking up the Jimbo hype but he has some misunderstanding of A&M's place in the college football hierarchy because he thinks the Manziel years were the norm.  I had to do some research to set him straight.  Here is A&M's record versus the upper level Big 12 teams when the Ags played in the Big 12. 

UT 5-11

OU 5-11

Tech 6-10

Neb. 3-5

CU  3-5

Mizzou 3-5

KSU 5-5

OSU 10-6

And that is the real reason they left the Big 12 (and TCU thanks God they did). 

They may have made a bowl every year but it was because they beat up on Southland conference teams in OOC and Baylor, KU, ISU etc in conference.  Not a lot has changed since then if you look at their record versus the top half of the SEC.  Jimbo will probably make it better eventually but, as evidenced by his last season at FSU, he's not a miracle worker. 

I see zero reason to believe "Jimbo will probably make it better eventually." He has a style mismatch, natural recruiting disadvantages, an aging and out of touch coaching staff, and a history of fading down the stretch that dovetails nicely with aggy's history of fading down the stretch.

They should have hired Chad.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I see zero reason to believe "Jimbo will probably make it better eventually." He has a style mismatch, natural recruiting disadvantages, an aging and out of touch coaching staff, and a history of fading down the stretch that dovetails nicely with aggy's history of fading down the stretch.

They should have hired Chad.

They also have boosters that are desperate to win.  See UGa for how that translates to success in recruiting. 

Just now, angelos's frog said:

They also have boosters that are desperate to win.  See UGa for how that translates to success in recruiting. 

True enough, but UGa is not competing directly with Bama and LSU for most of the croots they are buying. Even cheating, aggy can't hope to be better than 3rd in their own division. And Jimbo has a history of underperforming even with a stocked cupboard. Jameis ain't stealing through that door.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Back when Rudder was forcing racial and gender integration upon the rednecks (and by doing so, saving the school from ruin), the editor of the school paper wrote an editorial in favor of the plan. He had bricks and balloons filled with ammonia thrown through his dorm window. When Leland McElroy was to be the first non-white football player to start a game (back in 1970) the night before the game, they burned a cross in front of the entrance to his dorm.

You may think you know the level of hatred for women and blacks on the aggy campus in the 1960s, but it was far worse than you can imagine.

And then there was this anecdote from the Texas Monthly bonfire collapse story from not too long ago (the money quote is at the end). The ags are largely a hate-filled bunch of small-minded, ignorant rednecks.  Always have been, always will be.

raDZyPu.jpg

In 1967, aggy football integrated, with Samuel Williams and James Reynolds making the team. I don't actually know who the first was to take the field, but I do know Kevin Murray dealt with more than his share of death threats. Texas' record is not spotless, but it is accurate to say that aggy's history is worse, given that it's not actually over.

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

True enough, but UGa is not competing directly with Bama and LSU for most of the croots they are buying. Even cheating, aggy can't hope to be better than 3rd in their own division. And Jimbo has a history of underperforming even with a stocked cupboard. Jameis ain't stealing crab-legging through that door.

fify

Edited by sdm

17 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

... And Jimbo has a history of underperforming even with a stocked cupboard. Jameis ain't stealing through that door.

Don't forget Bilbo's thin skin.  It's going to be fun to watch him respond to the delusional idiots and their criticisms around year 3 after he's shown zero results.

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Try year 1 when they're getting their shit pushed in during conference play.

I submit they're too invested in Jimbo's prospects at this point to turn on him that quickly.  They always throw the previous guy under the bus for a couple years "The cupboard was bare..."

That said, I'm looking forward to their Bama, Auburn and Clemson games this season.

One reason I give the ags little chance of actually accomplishing anything in college football is that their lack of self-awareness prevents them from honestly assessing the status of their program and making any necessary changes. Every time aggy makes a move, it is an emotional reaction to some trigger, not a logical step to move a carefully devised plan forward.

The ags are convinced they have a blue-blood program with a long and storied past that is on the verge of one of the greatest era in the history of college football. In reality, they haven't had consecutive seasons of being even moderately competitive in conference play in a generation. The people who have been overseeing the program during what is one of the more dismal periods of aggy football (and that is saying something) are still in decision making positions today.

Hiring Fisher wasn't a logical choice, it was an emotional choice - "He has won a championship before so he is assured to do it again, under totally different conditions! Yay us! He's grrrrrreat!" They were pissed and frustrated at Sumlin's lack of accomplishment, so they reacted emotionally and fired him.

The people running the aggy program have no overarching plan. They haven't had a plan to build aggy athletics in my lifetime. Because their culture is so prone to false hero worship, they constantly reach for saviors to take them to the promised land. They always have, and they always will. It is who they are. Before it was Jimbo, it was Johnny. Johnny was mentally ill and lacked the ability to focus mentally. But not a single aggy saw that. Johnny was their hero and could do no wrong. And all he delivered was one third place finish in their division. Hardly what any objective person would consider "the promised land" for a major college program in Texas willing to throw all the money they could borrow at their football program.

Their best chance would be to bring in a total outsider with a proven track record as AD (as Texas did with CDC) and let that person build the program. But that isn't how aggy works. What the ags should do is talk with top out of state recruits and ask them why they never considered Texas A&M. If aggy ever will have a chance to do anything in college football, it will be because they improved their national recruiting, which will require them changing their culture so that the "aggy experience" isn't so off-putting to all but a very small demographic nationwide. But aggy doesn't work that way. Which is why aggy never accomplishes much.

Hiring Jimbo Fisher isn't going to change aggy's fortunes one bit. But it will be one of the most glorious eras we will ever witness. Glorious for everyone but aggy.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

One reason I give the ags little chance of actually accomplishing anything in college football is that their lack of self-awareness prevents them from honestly assessing the status of their program and making any necessary changes. Every time aggy makes a move, it is an emotional reaction to some trigger, not a logical step to move a carefully devised plan forward.

The ags are convinced they have a blue-blood program with a long and storied past that is on the verge of one of the greatest era in the history of college football. In reality, they haven't had consecutive seasons of being even moderately competitive in conference play in a generation. The people who have been overseeing the program during what is one of the more dismal periods of aggy football (and that is saying something) are still in decision making positions today.

Hiring Fisher wasn't a logical choice, it was an emotional choice - "He has won a championship before so he is assured to do it again, under totally different conditions! Yay us! He's grrrrrreat!" They were pissed and frustrated at Sumlin's lack of accomplishment, so they reacted emotionally and fired him.

The people running the aggy program have no overarching plan. They haven't had a plan to build aggy athletics in my lifetime. Because their culture is so prone to false hero worship, they constantly reach for saviors to take them to the promised land. They always have, and they always will. It is who they are. Before it was Jimbo, it was Johnny. Johnny was mentally ill and lacked the ability to focus mentally. But not a single aggy saw that. Johnny was their hero and could do no wrong. And all he delivered was one third place finish in their division. Hardly what any objective person would consider "the promised land" for a major college program in Texas willing to throw all the money they could borrow at their football program.

Their best chance would be to bring in a total outsider with a proven track record as AD (as Texas did with CDC) and let that person build the program. But that isn't how aggy works. What the ags should do is talk with top out of state recruits and ask them why they never considered Texas A&M. If aggy ever will have a chance to do anything in college football, it will be because they improved their national recruiting, which will require them changing their culture so that the "aggy experience" isn't so off-putting to all but a very small demographic nationwide. But aggy doesn't work that way. Which is why aggy never accomplishes much.

Hiring Jimbo Fisher isn't going to change aggy's fortunes one bit. But it will be one of the most glorious eras we will ever witness. Glorious for everyone but aggy.

You forgot to add "....And they buttfuck barnyard animals."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

This is all it right here. Its a cultural issue and failure to look inward and assess. Probably have never heard of a SWOT analysis, much less performed one. And learned from one. 

Have they ever asked the question, "Why, with all our built in advantages, have we failed to perform at a high level in academics and athletics? What is the reason for our continued mediocrity, despite our location, money and influence, and other advantages? Why?" And then take the steps necessary to find out, and act to change course. 

Unless and until they make a commitment to do as RD says, its going to be same ol', same ol', which is fine by me. I rather enjoy the insanity. 

51 minutes ago, RedDirtTexan said:

This is all it right here. Its a cultural issue and failure to look inward and assess. Probably have never heard of a SWOT analysis, much less performed one. And learned from one. 

Have they ever asked the question, "Why, with all our built in advantages, have we failed to perform at a high level in academics and athletics? What is the reason for our continued mediocrity, despite our location, money and influence, and other advantages? Why?" And then take the steps necessary to find out, and act to change course. 

Unless and until they make a commitment to do as RD says, its going to be same ol', same ol', which is fine by me. I rather enjoy the insanity. 

Sumlin's downfall started with the signing of the monster 2013 recruiting class. 32 recruits. He had all the momentum any coach could ever want and was in a new situation where he could sign numerous 4 and 5 star players. Which he did. he got sucked into the excitement of signing a highly ranked class and didn't bother doing any character evaluations, any evaluations concerning how well they would work together and how well they fit his program. But damned if he didn't sign a highly ranked class.

I think 3 of those players managed to see meaningful playing time while they were at A&M. 3 out of 32. Once that debacle started unfolding, aggy never had the depth they needed. Kids that needed to redshirt couldn't. The whole thing fell apart.

Had aggy had a grown-up involved with overseeing the aggy football program, they could have possibly helped Sumlin grow into the job of running the program, but that isn't how aggy operates.

Herman had his mistakes stepping into the Texas program (telling the alumni to piss off over his hiring of Horny and his honoring Leitao's scholarship after he was busted selling prescription medications on a high school campus), but Mike Perrin was able to step in, work with Herman, and this latest cycle went well. Herman isn't suffering too many self-inflicted wounds at this point. A good example of how having the right AD in place matters.

We will see how Jimbo and aggy work out. I have my thoughts on the matter. Time will tell. I think the fun will start when thin-skinned Jimbo gets at cross purposes of the alumni paying his salary.

Good times. They are in store.

• Like 2

Funny story---University of Texas and its alumni were invited to join the UPenn Ivy club in midtown Manhattan.  As a joke, in the joint-licensing agreement, UT's team stipulated that A&M could not join the Penn Club or any other Ivy League clubs in New York.  Penn Club thought nothing of it so left it as a codicil.  So for the next 50 years, A&M alums can't join  a decent club in New York.  What started out as a sick joke is now part of their sad reality.  

That said, their joint bid for LANL with Berkeley is going quite well.  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Funny story---University of Texas and its alumni were invited to join the UPenn Ivy club in midtown Manhattan.  As a joke, in the joint-licensing agreement, UT's team stipulated that A&M could not join the Penn Club or any other Ivy League clubs in New York.  Penn Club thought nothing of it so left it as a codicil.  So for the next 50 years, A&M alums can't join  a decent club in New York.  What started out as a sick joke is now part of their sad reality.  

That said, their joint bid for LANL with Berkeley is going quite well.  

Stipulation also includes OUsux fwiw

Edited by GTNY

43 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So this "jizz jar" thing. No question it's fun to deride those guys, but how much evidence is there that they actually do that? Not questioning its validity but I wanna know what we're dealing with here.

Why do people keep thinking we make this shit up?

Texas Monthly, April 2000

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/the-aggie-bonfire-tragedy

truxE8I.jpg

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Why do people keep thinking we make this shit up?

Because with aggy, the truth is so ridiculously absurd that unless you've been exposed to it first hand, you won't believe the reports of even reliable witnesses.

All those things that "nobody would really do that"... yeah, aggy has done that, and made it a tradition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Because with aggy, the truth is so ridiculously absurd that unless you've been exposed to it first hand, you won't believe the reports of even reliable witnesses.

All those things that "nobody would really do that"... yeah, aggy has done that, and made it a tradition.

Word.

I have two aggy klingons bleating back at me on the RD twitter account, proclaiming aggy greatness as evidenced by the commitment of Leal. They are typically aggy, in that their arguments do nothing to develop a coherent discussion. They simply do not have the self-awareness to recognize that aggy culture differs from that of American culture writ large, or that  it differs from that of the current generation of college-age individuals.

I mentioned that aggy self-identified by their obsession with bonding social capital, to the point of paranoia and the glorification of fabricated heroes (E. King Gill being one), and that American culture has largely placed a moderately strong importance on bridging social capital. The younger generation places a greater value on bridging social capital that generations that preceded it. I left out any discussion of the typical aggy lack of intellectual curiosity and their traditionally low emotional intelligence.

I also mentioned that young individuals seeking to find out who they are rarely willingly step from a moderately strong emphasis on bridging capital to an obsessive importance on bonding social capital and how this makes it difficult for aggy to recruit well OOS (of this year's aggy class numbering 10 members so far, none are OOS).

The greatest impediment to aggy finding success in athletics is their inability to recruit outside of their culture. Over the past three cycles, aggy has recruited from 7 states outside Texas, with Louisiana(3) and Florida(3) being the only state they have gotten more than 2 commits from. On the other hand, Alabama has recruited from 16 outside states, reaching from Hawaii to Connecticut, to Utah. (Texas successfully recruited from 10 other states, OU - 17, Clemson - 13, USC - 16). Add in the states where they were competitive, but did not land the recruit, and you can see that being able to recruit competitively in 20+ states is important to a successful program.

aggy simply cannot accept that their cultural extremes that differ from the predominant American culture make it difficult for them to recruit the caliber of national talent on par with successful programs. Texas very much needs to step up its OOS recruiting, but selling Austin, TX and UT Austin culture to OOS individuals isn't anything like trying to sell College Station and aggy culture.

The strange shit they do that so deeply defines their culture is the proverbial albatross around their program's neck. Jimbo will never change that fact. ags are far too prone to hero worship and the belief that a savior exists that will take them to the holy land to believe that the dunbfuck shit they do isn't reflective of how rational, well-adjusted individuals from mainstream cultures behave. Until aggys realize "traditions" such as group masturbation into a communal jar is not an activity most mentally healthy individuals would participate in (let alone pass down to 17 and 18 year old boys), they will always be aggy. No amount of money paid to a head football coach will make aggy culture any less off-putting than it has been since before any of us can remember.