Bluey Megathread

atomheartbevo

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do I watch tonight by myself or wait and watch it in the morning before school with my kid….

It's like a normal episode, but the ending is kinda wtf. There is obviously more to the story

23 minutes ago, millhouse said:

It's like a normal episode, but the ending is kinda wtf. There is obviously more to the story

People are worried this is the last season, but it’s insane how well it’s doing - it’s Disney’s top streaming show, and even though the episodes are only 8-minutes long, it’s like the second most streamed show.  It’s going to be a while before we get new episodes though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2024-04-03/is-bluey-ending-disney-s-worried-biggest-kids-show-ever-is-at-risk

The 8 minute episodes are one of the things that are so genius about it though. They pack so much into those 8 minutes and keep everyone's attention the whole time. Nothing better than telling your 5yo that it's bedtime "as soon as this episode is over" and not looking and seeing you have 25 minutes left. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

People are worried this is the last season, but it’s insane how well it’s doing - it’s Disney’s top streaming show, and even though the episodes are only 8-minutes long, it’s like the second most streamed show.  It’s going to be a while before we get new episodes though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2024-04-03/is-bluey-ending-disney-s-worried-biggest-kids-show-ever-is-at-risk

Any chance you can quote and paste the article for those of us that don’t have a Bloomberg account?

1 hour ago, Frank The Tank said:

Any chance you can quote and paste the article for those of us that don’t have a Bloomberg account?

Part of it, will get rest tomorrow

For this generation of kids, there’s Bluey, Brumm’s TV show about a family of anthropomorphic Australian blue heeler dogs. It was a hit as soon as it debuted in its home country in 2018. It was picked up a year later by the Walt Disney Co. and subsequently featured on its then-fledgling streaming service, Disney+, where it’s become an international phenomenon. In the US, Bluey wasn’t just the most watched kids’ show last year, according to Nielsen. It was the second most streamed show in 2023 after Suits, the sunny USA Network legal procedural currently available on Netflix and Comcast’s Peacock.

This streaming figure is all the more impressive because Suits’ appeal rests, in part, on its bingeworthy volume: It has nine seasons of roughly 42-minute episodes of courtroom maneuvering and office power struggles. By contrast, there are just three seasons of Bluey, with about 50 episodes each, but an episode is only seven minutes long. Typically, they involve 7-year-old Bluey and her sister, Bingo, 5, with Bandit, their exuberant father, and Chilli, their more level-headed mom. The Heeler family may be playing a game such as “Keepy Uppy,” where the goal is to make sure a balloon doesn’t touch the ground. Yet Americans watched 731 million hours of Bluey in 2023, more than NCIS, Grey’s Anatomy, Gilmore Girls or that perennial of the broadcast, cable and streaming eras, Friends. In China, Bluey’s third season has been viewed 100 million times since it appeared on iQiyi, the country’s Netflix.

Kids will watch just about anything for hours on TV, but that doesn’t begin to explain Bluey’s popularity. It’s the rarest of children’s shows, one conceived by a genuine auteur, in the mold of Donald Glover’s Atlanta or Jesse Armstrong’s Succession. In an age of anxious parents and infinite streaming entertainment, so much of it desultory, Brumm has created a show that’s both hilarious and deeply moving in its portrayal of how children come to terms with the world by playing games and how parents can foster this by joining the fun, no matter how wacky it becomes. And like the children of Bluey, the adults are fully realized characters, grappling with the challenges that come with parenting, being married and tackling topics as serious as infertility.

Take, for instance, one of the most famous episodes, “Sleepytime,” in which Bingo has difficulty being a “big girl” capable of falling asleep in a new bed. Chilli is tasked with managing a child who’s waking up throughout the night, an annoying and familiar parental chore. But when we see Bingo’s dreams, of her mother as the sun that she orbits around, the whole mess of parenting is revealed. It’s boring, it’s beautiful, it’s everything, and it never ends.

The result is a kids’ show with grown-up fans who can be even more passionate than the nursery schoolers whom it ostensibly targets. “It’s kind of the way The Office was 10 years ago,” says Christine Alcantara, mother of a 4-year-old in Scarsdale, New York. “For parents, we’re all watching Bluey.”

For some adult viewers, Bluey is closer to an obsession. Consider Facebook groups such as “Bandits: The Bluey Group for Dads,” whose 85,000 members solicit advice about how to manage their own Blueys and Bingos, to say nothing of keeping their personal Chillis happy. Or “Adult Bluey Fans,” a group with more than 450,000 members, where you’re encouraged to show off your Bluey tattoos.b

Teens like Bluey, as do college students and childless grown-ups, who purport to find it soothing. You can find videos on TikTok of people who put their real dogs in front of the TV when Bluey’s on and swear it mesmerizes them. Brumm’s show has also seduced television critics. The New York Times called “Sleepytime” one of the best TV episodes of 2020. Rolling Stone included Bluey in its list of the 100 best sitcoms of all time. A Guardian writer could barely contain his excitement about the arrival of new Bluey episodes last year, calling it “arguably the best television series in the world.”

There are now Bluey plushies, playsets, pajamas, potty-training accessories, biscuits, juices, a line of books with 20 million print copies in the US and two soundtrack albums that have generated more than 350 million streams in the country, according to the music data provider Luminate. There’s also a live show, Bluey’s Big Play, that has appeared in 149 US cities and 65 in Australia and is bound later this year for places like France, Abu Dhabi and Singapore.

All of the critical adulation, hours streamed, tickets purchased, snacks devoured, mountains of Bluey merchandise shipped around the world—it translates into an astonishing amount of money. Richard Haigh, managing director of Brand Finance, estimates Bluey is worth as much as $2 billion and says it has the potential to be as valuable as Peppa Pig, that other toddler favorite, whose parent company, Entertainment One, was sold to Hasbro in 2019 for $4 billion.

So who’s collecting all of this Bluey loot? The show is controlled and produced by Ludo Studio, a small operation in Brisbane, Australia, that had won several Emmys for its shows but wasn’t widely known internationally before Bluey. The Australian Broadcasting Corp. has provided much of its financing and premiered the show for broadcast and streaming. But the ABC doesn’t profit from Bluey. It didn’t have enough money to underwrite the show on its own. Instead, Ludo orchestrated a deal early on in which the show was also financed by local government agencies and, most notably, BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the UK’s BBC Group. The BBC won the right to distribute Bluey everywhere except Australia, along with global control of its licensing.

That turned out to be a phenomenally lucrative deal for BBC Studios. Last July, BBC Studios boasted that it surpassed £2 billion ($2.5 billion) in annual revenue for the first time in its fiscal 2023 year, thanks in part to the sale of Bluey consumer products. Now it’s banking on the show’s growth to deliver on its ambitious plan to double its overall business by 2028.

Disney also pockets some of that merchandising currency. But Bluey plays a big role in its streaming business, which has been a money loser so far and has made the company the target of a much publicized campaign by activist investors including Nelson Peltz, who’s trying to force his way onto the board and make changes at the company. Disney Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger says it will mop up the red ink later this year, but having more Bluey episodes to release—and perhaps even acquiring the show outright—would certainly help his company. Bluey accounted for 29% of all TV views on Disney+ in the fourth quarter of 2023, excluding movies, according to market research firm Circana. Someone familiar with the company who didn’t want to be identified because this person wasn’t authorized to speak says Disney has repeatedly explored the possibility of snapping up the show.

The future, though, of this kids’ entertainment behemoth isn’t as certain as fans, and Disney, and the BBC, would like. The show’s third season is scheduled to culminate on April 14 with a 28-minute episode—the longest ever—titled “The Sign.” The ABC and BBC Studios have yet to say anything about greenlighting a fourth. Hardcore Bluey fan groups such as Reddit’s r/bluey, which attracted 2 million visitors last year, are abuzz with speculation that the title of the extended episode refers to a moving sign, and that the Heelers will be bidding both their iconic abode and their audience adieu.

“A lot of people are scared,” says Margaret Thompson, a transplanted Australian who lives in Portland, Oregon, and posts prodigiously about Bluey on YouTube as Aussie Girl Margie. “You don’t see characters moving houses in animation and continuing on. The Simpsons never moved. That’s why a lot of people fear it’s going to be the end.” It doesn’t help that the one person who could put all of these fears to rest seems to have little interest in doing so.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:58 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Part of it, will get rest tomorrow

Bluey is great, but I strongly disagree with the argument that it’s somehow unique in kids entertainment. There’s plenty of high quality stuff being made for kids by very talented people, it’s just not as popular as Bluey. 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Just got done watching the mega episode “The Sign”.   Pretty emotionally tugging and powerful.  Will wait til more watch for further commentary.  

Feels GIF by MOODMAN

My daughter pointed out a few things

Spoiler

Green the ballon was a huge throwback.  And the butterfly came back.

and interesting seeing the kids’ aunt with a baby bump after everything that happened or was implied (that she couldn’t have kids).

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Feels GIF by MOODMAN

My daughter pointed out a few things

Hide contents

Green the ballon was a huge throwback.  And the butterfly came back.

and interesting seeing the kids’ aunt with a baby bump after everything that happened or was implied (that she couldn’t have kids).

Yep.  And Bandit’s dad was back for the first time.   Went to India “to find himself”.  Thinking he either has cancer and trying to find alt medicine or dementia.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe I'm just heartless or something, but I can't get into this show. And this coming from a guy who actually likes other children programming so you'd think it would be my wheelhouse (e.g. Peppa Pig, Gumball, Big City Greens, etc.)

What am I missing?

Edited by BeardIP

7 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Maybe I'm just heartless or something, but I can't get into this show. And this coming from a guy who actually likes other children programming so you'd think it would be my wheelhouse (e.g. Peppa Pig, Gumball, Big City Greens, etc.)

What am I missing?

this-man-has-no-dick.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

Any suggestions?

We just finished watching through Hilda and it's very good. The Nimona movie that just came out on Netflix is really solid.

I think my favorite thing I've watched with my kids has been City of Ghosts. In a lot of ways, it's the antithesis of Bluey (I think Bluey is great). There's no mayhem or belly laughs. It's quiet and contemplative but also really unique and captivating. Unfortunately it only got 6 episodes.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Caillou. 

Im Not No Way GIF

Get the PBS kids app, do Molly From Denali, Arthur, Peg + Cat.

Or get Paramount and do Rug Rats.  Lot of funny parent moments in there.

But if you get Caillou, might as well just start them in Cocomelon.

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Mine also like Spirit on Netflix, Pete the Cat (I think that’s on Prime) and a few others.  But Bluey gets the most airplay 

I wish mine would get into Arthur - she loves chapter books and it feels like Arthur should be right up her alley, given the story lines and that it's a long-running show/universe.

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wish mine would get into Arthur - she loves chapter books and it feels like Arthur should be right up her alley, given the story lines and that it's a long-running show/universe.

They like Arthur for the most part as well.  They’re just obsessed with Bluey. And paw patrol 

• Hook 'Em 1

Netflix has put out some really underrated animated movies the last few years.  We watched Mitchells vs. the Machines again a few weeks back and that's probably better than any Disney/Pixar movie since probably Inside Out.  I actually like Mitchells vs. the Machines better.  It's so good.

We also really like The Sea Beast and have heard good things about Nimona.

On 4/15/2024 at 10:40 PM, Stringer said:

We also really like The Sea Beast and have heard good things about Nimona.

Nimona is good and I’m all for normalizing same gender relationships in children’s entertainment, but it’s almost as bad as Wish in how it plays like a checklist of “wokeness”.  

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Nimona is good and I’m all for normalizing same gender relationships in children’s entertainment, but it’s almost as bad as Wish in how it plays like a checklist of “wokeness”.  

Wish was an absolute jumble of what could’ve been a cool movie, but ended up more like Jade’s chili.   Just an absolute mess.   No wonder why they didn’t promote that turd 

Posted (edited)

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68795941

It's returning, but not for a while.

Fans were concerned the show had ended after a For Sale sign appeared outside the Heelers' house in the last episode. But Bluey producer Sam Moor today BBC Radio 4's Today programme the show would definitely be returning. Fans had also expressed concern after the episode was also the first in the series not to have any music during the closing credits.

When she was asked about the future of the show, she said: "It is the question on everybody's lips. "No it is not the end for Bluey. I'm sure we have many more surprises in store for you," she told the BBC's Nick Robinson.  "We have more in store and we are thinking what would be next."

She was also asked about the next episode of the show, on Sunday, called The Sign, which will run for 28 minutes - four times longer than the usual seven minutes. "The team worked really hard to get that one out, everybody put all their love and effort into it," Moor said. 

Executive producer Daley Pearson has also spoken about the new longer episode. He told Australia's Sunrise on Friday: "I think when we have taken risks, that's when it's been the most exciting and I think that's when the audience has liked it the most as well. "So whatever it will be, it will be something that we're not quite sure if we can do. But we hope we can." He added that it would be a "dream" to create a feature-length film of the animated dog and her family.

Disney will money-whip them if they stopped production.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-sign-marks-biggest-bluey-episode-premiere-ever-with-10-4-million-views-on-disney/

“The Sign,” the series’ first-ever extended-length special, now ranks as both the most-viewed Bluey episode premiere and the most-viewed Disney Junior episode premiere ever, with 10.4 million views* globally on Disney+ after seven days of streaming. Bluey consistently falls in the Top 5 series on Disney+ by monthly views.

The hit series began 2024 as the No. 1 most-streamed series across all audiences** and the No. 1 series for preschoolers and kids overall*** in the U.S., per Nielsen.

The speculation is that with the last episode, the kids are growing apart in how they play, etc. so they might age them up a few years (plus the voice actors are aging out).

Edited by atomheartbevo

41 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Disney will kidnap those motherfuckers and chain them to their desks if necessary. There’s no way they’ll let it end without wringing every last penny out first. 

No doubt.  They're probably working in a "BlueyWorld" attraction into that place in Orlando as we speak.  

On 4/15/2024 at 9:40 PM, Stringer said:

Netflix has put out some really underrated animated movies the last few years.  We watched Mitchells vs. the Machines again a few weeks back and that's probably better than any Disney/Pixar movie since probably Inside Out.  I actually like Mitchells vs. the Machines better.  It's so good.

Netflix only bought the distribution rights to the Mitchells vs the Machines. I think the fact that it was so good is more attributable to producers Lord & Miller (Into the Spiderverse, Lego Movie, Lego Batman)

On 1/14/2024 at 9:09 AM, tokamak said:

That's a great episode. Liked the message and it's one my kids need to hear. I interpreted it as Afghanistan. His letter said it's super hot. Not sure Australia sent people to Iraq, but definitely Afghanistan.

Isn't every wife a throw blanket hoarder?

There were Australian soldiers in Iraq, at least from 2005-2007.  

On 4/15/2024 at 1:48 PM, BeardIP said:

What am I missing?

Watch Whale Watching.  Then Faceytalk.  Then Unicorse.  That should grab you.  Whale Watching is a masterpiece of writing for two different audiences. 

• Like 2