The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 12/17/2023 at 11:27 AM, Armybrat said:

How the I.D.F. Uses the Ruger SR-22 and 10/22 in Israel & Gaza:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/10/21/israel-adopts-ruger-sr-22-in-less-lethal-sniper-role/

1F8BDB85-D59E-4836-B261-ECEBD7FBE7B8.webp

F6B902FB-40F8-4D61-A8C3-33E8662D30CC.webp

I had one of these. it is quiet, not Hollywood quiet, but pretty damn close considering you still have the noise of the bolt cycling. Their claim of 117db is subjective. It really depends on how sensitive your db equipment is. Where it is placed, and the atmosphere conditions. But, it is quieter than any 300 blackout or 5.56 suppressed that I have worked with, and I load my own ammo.

However $2200 is steep considering you still must supply a barrel and open up the barrel channel on your stock. And at the end of the day you still have a .22 rimfire.

https://libertycans.net/product/idf-10-22-integrally-suppressed-barrel/

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Elvis said:

We had a fun day target shooting this weekend in Abilene. It made for a nice afternoon away from the women with my older son and my brother. 

More guns not pictured. 

IMG_8246.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg

A side note:  I used roofer yard signs to hold up the Shoot-N-C targets.  They worked perfectly.  I also brought roofer sand bags that I use for holding tarps down on metal or tile roofs.  I set them up along with yoga mats to make a prone shooting position.  They also worked perfectly.

My son (14) was shooting a spread the size of a quarter in prone position with his inherited 22 automatic rifle at 30 yards with open sights.  That's pretty good for his first day with live amunition.  His uncle was spotting him with glass, but it wasn't really needed with the glow shot targets and my son's young eyes.

It was a great day and we ran out of time before we ran out of ammo.

• Hook 'Em 1

Reminiscing a bit today about gifting firearms….

Gifted over the past 55 years to my three sons, three grandsons, granddaughter, daughter in law, brother, mother in law, landman friend.

Service Six .357
Ruger LCP (2)
Ruger LCP Max
Ruger 10/22 (3)
Ruger Super Blackhawk
Ruger Blackhawk .357
Ruger SR45
Ruger SR9 (2)
Kahr PM9
Kahr CW45
Kahr CT380
Remington RM380 (2)
Remington R1 .45 (3)
Remington Wingmaster 12 ga.
Remington 1100 12 ga.
Winchester Model 94 .30-30
Winchester Model 67A (2) .22
Springfield Armory GI .45
Browning Safari (2) .243 & .30-06
Stevens SS .22
H&R Topper 20 ga. (3)
JM Marlin 336 .30-30
S&W Model 13
S&W Model 36
S&W Model 29
S&W Shield 9mm
S&W Sport AR15
North American Arms Mini .22lr
Colt AR LE6920
Colt Government 1911 Series 70 .45

(may have forgotten a couple more)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Reminiscing a bit today about gifting firearms….

Gifted over the past 55 years to my three sons, three grandsons, granddaughter, daughter in law, brother, mother in law, landman friend.

Service Six .357
Ruger LCP (2)
Ruger LCP Max
Ruger 10/22 (3)
Ruger Super Blackhawk
Ruger Blackhawk .357
Ruger SR45
Ruger SR9 (2)
Kahr PM9
Kahr CW45
Kahr CT380
Remington RM380 (2)
Remington R1 .45 (3)
Remington Wingmaster 12 ga.
Remington 1100 12 ga.
Winchester Model 94 .30-30
Winchester Model 67A (2) .22
Springfield Armory GI .45
Browning Safari (2) .243 & .30-06
Stevens SS .22
H&R Topper 20 ga. (3)
JM Marlin 336 .30-30
S&W Model 13
S&W Model 36
S&W Model 29
S&W Shield 9mm
S&W Sport AR15
North American Arms Mini .22lr
Colt AR LE6920
Colt Government 1911 Series 70 .45

(may have forgotten a couple more)

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Add a Kahr CW9 to that list.

It is so, so sad that they were lost in all those terrible boating accidents over the years.  Still mourning those losses for you and your family.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking at a .308 as a hog rifle that both me and my 10 year old can shoulder. Possibly will put thermal on it down the road. Would like to keep it under $1500.  So far, have it narrowed down to Tikka T3x vs Bergara B14 Ridge (guy at Carter’s showed me one with a carbon fiber barrel - don’t know anything about longevity/benfits of such). Would appreciate some guidance and further recs. Could be swayed to up it to the Springfield Armory 2020 Waypoint if anyone thinks it’s a definite upgrade over the two above. 

Why do you have a budget? Aren't you a cardiologist??

In all seriousness, I have the Ruger Precision and Savage Model 10 BA Stealth. They're both right at 10 pounds, but the Savage has a 3" longer barrel. I like them both but typically reach for the Savage.

If you're just wanting something for popping pork, have you looked at Ruger American line? That one would leave you enough money in the budget to snag a can like a Hybrid46.

1 hour ago, Fat Bastard said:

Looking at a .308 as a hog rifle that both me and my 10 year old can shoulder. Possibly will put thermal on it down the road. Would like to keep it under $1500.  So far, have it narrowed down to Tikka T3x vs Bergara B14 Ridge (guy at Carter’s showed me one with a carbon fiber barrel - don’t know anything about longevity/benfits of such). Would appreciate some guidance and further recs. Could be swayed to up it to the Springfield Armory 2020 Waypoint if anyone thinks it’s a definite upgrade over the two above. 

I'm looking at getting a Ruger SFAR.

.308 in an AR-15 sized rifle. I think they're around $1K before accessories. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Why do you have a budget? Aren't you a cardiologist??

In all seriousness, I have the Ruger Precision and Savage Model 10 BA Stealth. They're both right at 10 pounds, but the Savage has a 3" longer barrel. I like them both but typically reach for the Savage.

If you're just wanting something for popping pork, have you looked at Ruger American line? That one would leave you enough money in the budget to snag a can like a Hybrid46.

The budget will be blown on a 5k thermal!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Monday’s gun gifts…
Identical CZ75 Compact 9mm pistols for my two older sons.
Ruger Max 9mm for granddaughter’s fiancée.
Extra magazines for all three guns.
Two boxes of 9mm range ammo for each gun.
(They can buy their own self defense ammunition- that’s a personal choice).

F2576775-B768-4914-BC04-DFFCA4F795A7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

You’re making good choices. I’m on a similar hunt and leaning 260 rem.

B14 and T3x are all great rigs. 308 barrel wear would not be a concern for me. I’d go carbon in the B14 - especially if surpressed.

Waypoint - I love this rig. All carbon fiber, 20” barrel - just fuxking awesome. I love the way it feels when I shoulder. Is it worth an extra $800? Probably not, although I might do one in 6mm one day.

If I don’t do a custom build, I’ll do a B14 with steel barrel in 308 and throw on a proof 260 barrel. The 260 rem round is just so sweet.
I'm looking at getting a Ruger SFAR.
.308 in an AR-15 sized rifle. I think they're around $1K before accessories. 

Solid choice if you want an ar10.

15 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

I’ve talked to two guys recently that have had accuracy issues with newer Bergara’s. 

14 hours ago, Handcruser said:

And if you guys aren’t looking at 6.5 grendel you’re missing out.

This!!! Howa Mini-Action or Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel for a lightweight accurate bolt gun…..hell, you could buy one of the above and an AR in same with that budget. 2-fer-1.  Helluva hog / whitetail round and as soft as shooting a .22WM. 

This!!! Howa Mini-Action or Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel for a lightweight accurate bolt gun…..hell, you could buy one of the above and an AR in same with that budget. 2-fer-1.  Helluva hog / whitetail round and as soft as shooting a .22WM. 

I’ve got that Ruger American in 300BO and it’s a nice little gun.

6.5G has more energy at 1000 than .308 M80 ball I believe. M80 is underpowered though.

6.5G needs a 24” barrel to extract the most out of it, but 12”-18” - it’s lethal out to 250ish maybe 300 with 18”. It’s a great fucking round.

Works great in AR-15 platform too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:18 PM, Fat Bastard said:

I’ve got a Q fix in 6.5CM. Probably my least favorite rifle. If I didn’t already have >2000 rounds for it already, I’d probably sell it. 

Porque ?  Round, chassis? What?

very curious bc I’ve got one of my list… not necessarily the CM, but the Fix. 

I usually buy guns from Carrolls in Wharton. 

I am looking to buy a couple extra ARs today or tomorrow in calibers I don't have.  Any reccos in Houston?  I don't feel like driving to Wharton today.

Is Collectors worth a damn?  I bought from them 20 years ago and thought they were assholes.  But that is not uncommon in the gun world.

Carters usually does not have the best collection, IIRC.

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Porque ?  Round, chassis? What?

very curious bc I’ve got one of my list… not necessarily the CM, but the Fix. 

The round is fine. Haven’t loved the balance of the gun. Bolt isn’t slippery smooth. Not as accurate as I’d like (probably more me than anything else). 

Probably all minor gripes, but of the 10 or so rifles I own, probably my least favorite to shoot.  That and my HK 416 5.56 (mostly because that rifle is heavy AF)

5 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Collectors is a rip off. 

Couldn’t edit. I use them for all my ffl xfers tho. $20

46 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

The round is fine. Haven’t loved the balance of the gun. Bolt isn’t slippery smooth. Not as accurate as I’d like (probably more me than anything else). 

Probably all minor gripes, but of the 10 or so rifles I own, probably my least favorite to shoot.  That and my HK 416 5.56 (mostly because that rifle is heavy AF)

Couldn’t edit. I use them for all my ffl xfers tho. $20

Any place in Houston you like?

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Any place in Houston you like?

TBH, 90% of the guns I’ve purchased have been online with FFL xfers. Collectors has a great selection, for sure, but they have a significant markup compared to what you’ll see online/MSRP. Carters has been pretty solid and they can do a store xfer if they have it in the system.

Otherwise, I’d check out some of the ranges like Athena, Top Gun, or Texas Gun Club and ask around. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 10:59 AM, Handcruser said:

I’ve got that Ruger American in 300BO and it’s a nice little gun.

6.5G has more energy at 1000 than .308 M80 ball I believe. M80 is underpowered though.

6.5G needs a 24” barrel to extract the most out of it, but 12”-18” - it’s lethal out to 250ish maybe 300 with 18”. It’s a great fucking round.

Works great in AR-15 platform too.

7-08 < 500yds beats them both

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:20 AM, Fat Bastard said:

Tikka of the two listed.  Carbon barrel is for weight and heat dispersion.  For set shooting at night, not really much benefit.  If I was building, I'd look at the new Ruger American Gen II ($750 +/-).  Comes in 6.5CM, .308, and 7-08

Ruger-American-Rifle-Generation-II.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Christmas eve I was on a local gun trading group and lo and behold someone had one for sale with a scope already mounted. No transfer fee, shipping or taxes. I hope I can pick it up Thursday. It's like Santa wanted me to have it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I usually buy guns from Carrolls in Wharton. 
I am looking to buy a couple extra ARs today or tomorrow in calibers I don't have.  Any reccos in Houston?  I don't feel like driving to Wharton today.
Is Collectors worth a damn?  I bought from them 20 years ago and thought they were assholes.  But that is not uncommon in the gun world.
Carters usually does not have the best collection, IIRC.

Buy yet? If not what are you looking for?
I’ve driven past them a bazillion times and never stopped. Do they have a lot of inventory?

Cop shop. Decent inventory, but very nice people. I’d buy from them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Buy yet? If not what are you looking for?
Cop shop. Decent inventory, but very nice people. I’d buy from them.

I want an ar in a 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor 

Carroll’s is great.  It and that place in Eagle Lake are two of my favorite gun stores.  

I also am looking at a new pistol for carrying.  What I have now is either too big or too small.  I want a true small carry 9mm.  Thinking about the Sig P365XL.  

Carroll’s is great.  It and that place in Eagle Lake are two of my favorite gun stores.  

I also am looking at a new pistol for carrying.  What I have now is either too big or too small.  I want a true small carry 9mm.  Thinking about the Sig P365XL.  

Budget?

What do you carry now
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Johnny’s is a treasure for all things outdoors. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

User name checks out :)

• Hook 'Em 1