Big Hits of the Past: Targeting or Not? Your Be the Ref!

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Speaking of Tony Brackens, have a friend who swears that he saw him at some little rodeo or something several years ago, that Brackens was doing team roping.  I don't think the friend would lie, but it was just an odd-as-hell thing to hear.

Brackens is from Fairfield, grew up on a ranch and is country as a chicken coop.  Not odd. 

5 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

This was the hardest hit I ever saw and one of the worst calls ever. OU/Nebraska. The Nebraska guy get a 40 yard sprint and destroys Kelly Phelps. You can see his back bow out it shape of a helmet.  The worst call is they said it wasn't a fumble - forward progress had stopped. The forward progress part was correct.

Got to the 1:25 mark to start

Why didn't the returner let the ball go out of bounds?  Were the rules different back then?

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Speaking of Tony Brackens, have a friend who swears that he saw him at some little rodeo or something several years ago, that Brackens was doing team roping.  I don't think the friend would lie, but it was just an odd-as-hell thing to hear.

He grew up raising cattle in Fairfield…

Bomar'd is near the end of this but the whole video is gruntling. I love everything about Bomar'd -- particularly hated player, savage but very clean hit from Robison, perfect bounce to a big DT who rumbles to the end zone with Keith Jackson on the call and Bomar rolling around dazed and confused. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Damn, I thought ESPN had scrubbed all of those videos from the internet. Even at the time, I thought those segments were pretty cringe worthy. We all love a big hit, but dudes were giggling like schoolgirls when someone got up dizzy.

Edited by aggie08

16 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Damn. Hardest hit I’ve ever seen was similar to this. The Colts were playing someone and a dude just absolutely killed the returner. It was so violent.

Props to anyone that knows what I’m talking about and can find it.

found it: start at 1:42 and watch the replay of the hit from the view of the returner.

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Along with Run Ricky Run and Shocking the Run n Shoot, that Tech game is a candidate for the loudest ever at Memorial Stadium.  We picked up great seats that game and that hit happened right in front of us.  That was a great hit.  And would now be illegal.

57 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Quentin Coryatt would be in jail today.

Aggy worships that hit, which is fitting because it’s the least impressive feat in football. Dropping a WR coming over the middle is such a joke.

Any talk of biggest hits should be two dudes that know they’re about to have a violent collision with both fully committed to finding out who wins.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I remember sitting in the upper deck on the West side and could see the ball, Francis and Vasher cruising in.  I am pretty sure I was wincing well before Francis caught the ball.

Our current crop of "DBs" would have missed, failed to turn around or fallen down before getting the rally point.