What's going on with Austin murders?

3 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Across Burnet from El Mercado, there's a garage behind a pest control and plumbing business on the other side of the gas station. That's 2300. 

Thanks. The headlines that I saw said Anderson Ln. instead of Burnet.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:36 PM, Wally Pryor said:

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The deadly stabbing on Sixth Street in downtown Austin last weekend was captured on video later uploaded to Snapchat. Police used it as well as surveillance video from a nearby business and witnesses to identify a suspect in the case. 

U.S. Marshals arrested Donald Paul Carrillo, 24, on Tuesday. He faces a murder charge in the case. KXAN reached out to his attorney for a statement and will update this story when we receive a response.

Police said they received a call at 2:47 a.m. Saturday about a man who was stabbed multiple times on the 400 block of East Sixth Street, near Trinity Street. That man, later identified as Michael O’Brien, was taken to the hospital but died later that day. The Travis County Medical Examiner said he had been stabbed 13 times.

O’Brien had been out with his girlfriend and her friend who had come to visit and had never been to the Sixth Street entertainment district before, according to an arrest affidavit.

Poor tourists. They don't know any better. I mean, hell, it's 6th Street and that must be where Austin still keeps it weird.  

Indeed.

Can't an Irishman get drunk and fight strangers without worrying about being stabbed anymore?

On 1/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, texasdago said:

Like does no one remember the Austin Ripper? Very good book on it btw. And that was during the Jack the Ripper timeframe. Mainly someone murdering a lot people with an axe? 

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Servant Girl Annihilator is the preferred nomenclature.

And how, with all the fucking bands we've had in Austin over the years has nobody ever used that name?

I mean, I've seen "I Love You but I've Chosen Darkness" a half-dozen times.  You telling me they couldn't get "Servant Girl Annihilator" to open for them on Red River? 

On 1/27/2022 at 7:15 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was visiting family in New Orleans when the police and the mayor got into a pissing match and the cops pretty much declared they were on strike. That night every car on our street was burglarized and repeat that 1000 times over the city. Murders went through the roof. I've never been to an American city that felt more on the brink; I mean, in pre-Katrina New Orleans, you could die at any moment anywhere -- that kind of combat level energy was part of the charm -- but this was next level shit. Amid all this my aunt Laura and I rolled into a convenience store and there were about five cops gathered around the Mike Tyson Punch Out machine, screaming and hollering and waving around Big Gulp cups I would assume were liberally spiked.

"Shouldn't y'all be out there fighting crime," my aunt asked. She could get away with it 'cause she was hot back in the day.

One of New Orleans finest looked at her and said "Aww cher. We good. We dun run all da crime outta N'Awlins," and all his buddies busted out laughing. 

The mayor caved and they got their raises and probably more cops on the beat and crime in New Orleans became a thing of the past and everyone lived happily ever after.

These last two years have taught me to never trust police and fire union endorsements for office. I volunteered with a campaign for a buddy of mine that got blindsided by his local fire union. They refused to meet with him, endorsed his opponent, and then told voters that he was offered time slots and declined them all. I used to be a rah rah rah go public service kind of guy but the 2020 riots made me question a lot. Campaign volunteer work answered everything. 

• Rage+1 1

• 1 year later...
49 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Is this the right thread for this? SIAP.

The one guy was scared of water, but regularly hiked in Barton Springs pool.

Lulz.

Hard to believe this guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1