What's going on with Austin murders?

So, what's going on here? Seems like it's rising everywhere, but Austin is especially hard hit. 

image.png.50a9fea5bc804f9cb1790a442db7cf21.png

This year seems to be trending with last year. There have already been seven murders in January, including a guy who allegedly shot two people around noon in the West Anderson area:

https://mailchi.mp/austintexas.gov/apd-news-releasehomicide-investigation-at-7797-burnet-rd

"On Saturday, January 22, 2022, at approximately 11:47 a.m., 9-1-1 received a call of a double shooting that had just occurred in the parking lot of 7797 Burnet Rd. APD officers, along with Austin-Travis County EMS, arrived on the scene and discovered two men with life-threatening injuries. Despite lifesaving measures, both men succumbed to their injuries and were pronounced deceased at 11:55 a.m. by Dr. Escott." 

"Through investigation, homicide detectives came into contact with Yong Yoon Kim. Kim called 9-1-1 and advised that he had gotten into an altercation with two men and shot them in self-defense. Multiple eyewitnesses on scene gave contrary accounts of the shooting. Kim was charged with Capital Murder, arrested, and booked into the Travis County jail. He is currently being held with no bond." 

Obviously something has to be going on regarding the upheaval and stress of the pandemic. But is that it? Even accounting for population, the rate is still much, much higher. 

Unfortunately, this discussion has become too political in Austin to even reasonably discuss it, with both sides entrenched in completely irrational takes.  I expect this thread to follow the same pattern as every stupid Next Door thread on the topic.  Politics has left even the squishy middle incapable of discourse on just about every topic. No, check that. Every topic.

• Hook 'Em 6

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i don't want to point any fingers but it's the blacks.

oddly enough the West Anderson shooter is an Asian dude. he just disrespected his ancestors. that's going to hurt more than the life sentence.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-investigate-suspicious-death-in-north-austin/

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

oddly enough the West Anderson shooter is an Asian dude. he just disrespected his ancestors. that's going to hurt more than the life sentence.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-investigate-suspicious-death-in-north-austin/

I figured that out on my own when I read the story in the OP and it said his name was Yong Yoon Kim.  Was that racist?

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Yeah, it's just awful. And senseless. The address looks like it's for a gym. So say they are arguing over a dude not putting his weights back or something. Hell, say they called his momma a bad name. Instead of just ruining everyone's day, two people are dead, the shooter's life is ruined, and the families of everyone involved have their lives turned upside down.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, it's just awful. And senseless. The address looks like it's for a gym. So say they are arguing over a dude not putting his weights back or something. Hell, say they called his momma a bad name. Instead of just ruining everyone's day, two people are dead, the shooter's life is ruined, and the families of everyone involved have their lives turned upside down.

it's an apartment complex, ATX North Apartments, across the street from the LA Fitness. i went to LA Fitness around 12:30pm that day. didn't see any police cars across the street. weird.

austin grew a shitton the last 10 years. not all the people moving in are educated tech people. shitheads came too. i think most of the murders/killings are either drug related or random acts of violence around 6th street and the entertainment district.

Edited by crash_davis

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

austin grew a shitton the last 10 years. not all the people moving in are educated tech people. shitheads came too. i think most of the murders/killings are either drug related or random acts of violence around 6th street and the entertainment district.

Even so, it just blew up in 2021 while Austin has been growing for decades. Something has set it off.

Pandemic stress? Economic stress due to higher rents/housing prices? 

Whatever it is, the "chill" of Austin is certainly being altered.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Even so, it just blew up in 2021 while Austin has been growing for decades. Something has set it off.

Pandemic stress? Economic stress due to higher rents/housing prices? 

Whatever it is, the "chill" of Austin is certainly being altered.

crime everywhere in the US blew up when covid happened. not a unique austin thing. it's a big deal in austin because crime rate and murders were so low relative to it's size. it's having growing pains but this wave of insanity is a US thing. people have gone batshit crazy. everyone is hyper sensitive to everything. doesn't take much to trigger people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Idiocracy + low/stagnant wages + increasing corporate profits + rapidly increasing living expenses + volatile tribal politics in state and nationally

Plus we are still seeing the effects from 2020/2021 COVID stay at home stuff.  People still go out and act like they've never been around human beings before in their life because they had to stay at home for a few months.  Grocery stores, freeways, movie theaters, restaurants - everything is an avenue to act out like sub-human garbage because another person exists in your space and you forgot how to handle that. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

SA saw 160 murders last year, most since 1994. I don’t care what the increase is, a city of Austin’s size with just a double-digit yearly homicide total is nuts. Sounds like Mayberry compared to pretty much every other major US city.

I see a lot of this mentioned -- especially on Reddit. "Oh the murders are still low in comparison, so it's ok."

Seems to downplay the sharp rise in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

Is Austin letting everybody out on low bonds like Houston? If so, there’s your answer. 

Have yet to hear about a case where someone out on low bond committed a murder here. Not saying it hasn't happened, but don't think it's made big headlines if it has.

43 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I see a lot of this mentioned -- especially on Reddit. "Oh the murders are still low in comparison, so it's ok."

Seems to downplay the sharp rise in my opinion.

no one is downplaying anything. we're just saying the sharp rise is happening in every major city. austin's rise if murders matches exactly what's going on with the rest of the nation. not an austin only problem.

to run with it, i agree. austin is fucking dangerous. everyone stop moving here and if you are here, move out! 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

two minutes on google and i've found two cases.

case 1

case 2

Are those low bonds for the crimes? I honestly don't know.

First one is $100,000 and an ankle monitor for robbery. Second one was $75,000 for assault with a deadly weapon.

When I think low bonds, I think much lower than that, but I don't know what's normal. The first link says it went from $1 million to $100,000 due to the ankle monitor.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

First one is $100,000 and an ankle monitor for robbery. Second one was $75,000 for assault with a deadly weapon.

When I think low bonds, I think much lower than that, but I don't know what's normal. The first link says it went from $1 million to $100,000 due to the ankle monitor.

my understanding is that only 10% of the bond is needed to get the guy out of jail. so only 10k and 7.5k. prob still a lot of money but that's Tuesday for a bailbonds company.

Edited by crash_davis

47 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You left out a few key words such as multiple, and aggravated with a deadly weapon ...so yes that's way too fucking low

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1