What's going on with Austin murders?

11 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Yep, however Chicago’s murder rate is creeping toward its record high(970 in 1974). That’s with advanced medical technology and more people locked up. NYC will be ok, Chicago is fucked as crime is widespread even in good areas now. Back in the before the late 90s, it was concentrated in certain areas. I know one cause was the Housing Projects being torn down and those residents dispersing.

That said, agreed that crime is no where as bad as the period ending in the late 90s but there is some concerning increases nationwide.

NY murders are down as the poors cannot afford to live there.  And poor people commit murder more than rich people do.

Manhattan used to have a lot of rough neighborhoods.  It's now all some of the highest priced real estate in the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, crash_davis said:

no one is downplaying anything. we're just saying the sharp rise is happening in every major city. austin's rise if murders matches exactly what's going on with the rest of the nation. not an austin only problem.

to run with it, i agree. austin is fucking dangerous. everyone stop moving here and if you are here, move out! 

From a pure math/statistics perspective lower crime rate areas are going to have larger swings because of the low baseline.

If someone says it grew by 50% you have to look at the numbers to see if that was an increase from 2 to 3 or from 20 to 30.

In any comparison between places the ratio to overall population should be included per thousand residents.  You can't just through out numbers without that context unless you're lazy or have an agenda.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, texasdago said:

My mom and I were having a conversation about this... she was adamant that it was so much safer back then and I kept telling her it was "anything but..." but that's pretty much every older person today.  The old days were idyllic and today is the apocalypse.  

We sensationalize the news more these days than we did back then. Older people are more susceptible to it too sitting in front of a cable "entertainment-news" channel for hours every day.

• Hook 'Em 3

Recently, especially since Austin got on everyone's best place to live list, Austin had been a VERY safe town. Low crime rate. Since Covid, the increase in crime and homicides is shocking when compared to the norm established by the last 2 decades. Naturally some like to use crime stats increase to take shots at Austin for it's status of being a great place to live/move to. It's not shangri-la. 

Austin is dangerous is just political noise used by shitheads to use fear to get more funding for the police. Most people who live in Austin know it's bullshit, or rather the insanity is not specific to Austin or due to Austin "defunding" the police. 

Every crime related story in Nextdoor is ruined by shitheads saying that is because Austin defunded the police. The Save Austin Now idiots are doing their best to spam fear in every medium that they can.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Recently, especially since Austin got on everyone's best place to live list, Austin had been a VERY safe town. Low crime rate. Since Covid, the increase in crime and homicides is shocking when compared to the norm established by the last 2 decades. Naturally some like to use crime stats increase to take shots at Austin for it's status of being a great place to live/move to. It's not shangri-la. 

Austin is dangerous is just political noise used by shitheads to use fear to get more funding for the police. Most people who live in Austin know it's bullshit, or rather the insanity is not specific to Austin or due to Austin "defunding" the police. 

Every crime related story in Nextdoor is ruined by shitheads saying that is because Austin defunded the police. The Save Austin Now idiots are doing their best to spam fear in every medium that they can.

Cannot disagree with this... and I love the people we know in Houston constantly spouting off of how bad Austin is and how we have roving bands of homeless people looting and pillaging neighborhoods while police flee to Florida to get signing bonuses.  Yeah, its not shangri-la but damn it's pretty good.  

16 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Houston had periodic runs as murder capital of America going back to the 1940s or maybe earlier....There was a great headline circa 1950: WHY IS HOUSTON SO KILL-CRAZY? 

There were a couple of years where it reigned as murder capital of America in the '70s too and I can tell you from experience, going to HS in SW Houston and living deep inside the loop in the Oil Bust (1984-88) years was pretty fucked up. Weirdly, not quite as bad as when the economy was roaring along, but pretty bad. The Geto Boys were not created in a vacuum.

Criminologists used to explain Houston's high rate in boom times as basically the same reason it's always high under such conditions. You have a bunch of people with limited educations pouring into town to work blue collar jobs and they lose their connections to their friends and families back in the Piney Woods or Detroit or wherever. So they are isolated with maybe their nuclear family and living in some thrown together collection of shacks like Aldine or Galena Park or Cloverleaf. Alcoholism and drug problems flourish when community breaks down. So does domestic violence. And then you had all these dudes down at the beer joints settling debts of redneck honor out in the parking lot. Lots and lots of bodies dropped over pussy. The old fashioned system of courtin' was gone and everybody was out in meat markets....Sometimes in ways you might not enjoy: Johnny Bush, composer of Whiskey River, said he was playing at a Ship Channel joint (Harbor Lights, still exists, barely) and a cook came running out of the kitchen and buried a meat cleaver in a waiter's head. Waiter had been fucking the cook's wife.....I am betting the cook got 3-5 if that. 

And that was just the White people.

You also had Fifth Ward as America's most violent neighborhood and some hardcore cholos in El Segundo (Second Ward) already by then. So that's one way you get a terrible murder rate: you essentially have Deadwood, sociologically. It takes decades for churches and schools to tame that shit, if they ever do. 

Oil Bust was kinda more standard-issue poverty and drugs -- crack, mainly. The 1980s were the only decade Houston has ever lost population -- not during the Civil War or the Depression. So that boomtown shit died way down, but Houston was rough before it was a boomtown, too, and by this time we were a huge city. What's left of the sentimentalist in me whispers there was a "we're in this together" vibe and every now and then there really would be, as anyone who attended Jean-Michel Jarre's Rendezvous Houston will tell you. 

Houston is on some new shit now...I think the population is too young right now. This is mostly young men type crap. Drive-bys, love triangles, gangbangin'....it kind of amazes me the shit that barely makes the news there. About six months ago 18 kids were shot on the set of a rap video but hardly anyone noticed, even though the one fatality was the director of the video, a good kid on track to graduate from UH on the honor roll who was hired only for his camera skills and not any kind of gang affiliation. 

18 people shot. Yawn. 

That's a lot of words to say that he was lookin at me.

this thread is prescient...had a phone call with my 83 yoa aunt in NE Texas yesterday, first time in many months. she asked about our plans to move to CO soon, were we still planning that?

then: "well i don't blame you one but for wanting to get out of Austin before you get shot! it's just turned into a cesspool i know, all the homeless attacks! and the illegals! sure wish XXX and XXX (her grandkids, my third cousins or whatever) would move back to Fort Worth, it's terrible what's happen to Austin, so dangerous!!"

me:

12034388.jpg.ea26bbb7e8046b6891460a5c29ac6259.jpg

i mean i didn't actually tell her the tv has turned her mind into mush, but i sure thought it.

855855989_tenor(17).gif.9fae2eb0e0a6a5631e3c548432839b7b.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, mchookem said:

this thread is prescient...had a phone call with my 83 yoa aunt in NE Texas yesterday, first time in many months. she asked about our plans to move to CO soon, were we still planning that?

then: "well i don't blame you one but for wanting to get out of Austin before you get shot! it's just turned into a cesspool i know, all the homeless attacks! and the illegals! sure wish XXX and XXX (her grandkids, my third cousins or whatever) would move back to Fort Worth, it's terrible what's happen to Austin, so dangerous!!"

me:

12034388.jpg.ea26bbb7e8046b6891460a5c29ac6259.jpg

i mean i didn't actually tell her the tv has turned her mind into mush, but i sure thought it.

855855989_tenor(17).gif.9fae2eb0e0a6a5631e3c548432839b7b.gif

"Why would I tell them to move to Fort Worth when they have a greater chance of getting murdered there, huh, grandma?"

• Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, TexPx said:

But police officials can convincingly point to strong early returns on Chief Eddie Garcia’s crime plan, which was implemented this year and targets high-crime zones. Dallas is bucking a national trend. 

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2021/12/violent-crime-is-down-in-dallas-in-2021/

Is American policing so shitty that this was a novel concept in 2020/21?

36 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This has a great breakdown, in Gladwell's simplistic style for dummies, on why this type of policing has been difficult to implement around the country.  The concept has been around for a while, but most cities don't utilize it. 

image.png.c2e9d0e8c363419c007a9a6089bc289e.png

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Police in many (most?) large cities have intentionally reduced their presence in high crime areas since George Floyd to (1) reduce the opportunities for more cop killings and (2) increase crime and thereby hamper the defund the police movement.  Their efforts have been extremely successful.  Crime has increased rapidly in those areas and defund the police has become political suicide outside of one-party D locales.     

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Hell, a few months ago there were tons of stories about break-ins at Mt. Bonnell. Literally, takes a single cop parked there for a few hours each night to put an end to it. Instead, it's news stories showing the increase in break-ins there over the years, hand-wringing, explanations of why it's happening, etc.

19 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

NY murders are down as the poors cannot afford to live there.  And poor people commit murder more than rich people do.

437,000 murders, worldwide, each year. In the same time frame, 7,000,000 people die prematurely from air pollution. That doesn’t include water pollution. Or war, or, say, work site negligence…  If we are talking in total. Which your words suggest.

Edited to say choices that will knowingly result in someone’s death are by no means the sole province of the poor. The poor are more likely to look their victims in the eye, I suppose.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More

16 hours ago, alincoln said:

Police in many (most?) large cities have intentionally reduced their presence in high crime areas since George Floyd to (1) reduce the opportunities for more cop killings and (2) increase crime and thereby hamper the defund the police movement.  Their efforts have been extremely successful.  Crime has increased rapidly in those areas and defund the police has become political suicide outside of one-party D locales.     

I was visiting family in New Orleans when the police and the mayor got into a pissing match and the cops pretty much declared they were on strike. That night every car on our street was burglarized and repeat that 1000 times over the city. Murders went through the roof. I've never been to an American city that felt more on the brink; I mean, in pre-Katrina New Orleans, you could die at any moment anywhere -- that kind of combat level energy was part of the charm -- but this was next level shit. Amid all this my aunt Laura and I rolled into a convenience store and there were about five cops gathered around the Mike Tyson Punch Out machine, screaming and hollering and waving around Big Gulp cups I would assume were liberally spiked.

"Shouldn't y'all be out there fighting crime," my aunt asked. She could get away with it 'cause she was hot back in the day.

One of New Orleans finest looked at her and said "Aww cher. We good. We dun run all da crime outta N'Awlins," and all his buddies busted out laughing. 

The mayor caved and they got their raises and probably more cops on the beat and crime in New Orleans became a thing of the past and everyone lived happily ever after.

I was visiting family in New Orleans when the police and the mayor got into a pissing match and the cops pretty much declared they were on strike. That night every car on our street was burglarized and repeat that 1000 times over the city. Murders went through the roof. I've never been to an American city that felt more on the brink; I mean, in pre-Katrina New Orleans, you could die at any moment anywhere -- that kind of combat level energy was part of the charm -- but this was next level shit. Amid all this my aunt Laura and I rolled into a convenience store and there were about five cops gathered around the Mike Tyson Punch Out machine, screaming and hollering and waving around Big Gulp cups I would assume were liberally spiked.
"Shouldn't y'all be out there fighting crime," my aunt asked. She could get away with it 'cause she was hot back in the day.
One of New Orleans finest looked at her and said "Aww cher. We good. We dun run all da crime outta N'Awlins," and all his buddies busted out laughing. 
The mayor caved and they got their raises and probably more cops on the beat and crime in New Orleans became a thing of the past and everyone lived happily ever after.

While working in NOLA during the immediate Katrina recovery/rescue effort, a couple of my employees were caught out after the city curfew by a couple of cops who proceeded to rob them of their wallets and phones.
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Lol pre-K NOPD was an active player in the drug trade.

I know not right thread but I couldn’t find one…what is going on with Austin area fires in the last month? I hope not a firebug/arsonist. The bread place a few days ago…papa jacks downtown Kyle…some warehouse in north Austin etc…

Edited by Nicole44

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I know not right thread but I couldn’t find one…what is going on with Austin fires in the last month? I hope not a firebug/arsonist. The bread place a few days ago…papa jacks downtown…some warehouse in north Austin etc…

[cynical asshole] As property values have increased the current structures on these plots are not the best fit for revenue and value.  A fire gets the structure out of the way, generates an insurance check and the near vacant lot can now be used for something that generates more revenue/value.  It could be owners or buyers instigating it. [/ca]

-Could also just be part of the normal course of events and nothing statistically abnormal or nefarious.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lol/. I always laugh at the notion that cops out on patrol actually go out looking for murders in progress to stop them from occurring in real time.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Lol/. I always laugh at the notion that cops out on patrol actually go out looking for murders in progress to stop them from occurring in real time.

Yeah, that those cops weren’t wearing their capes should’ve been a clue.

Edited by Armybrat

52 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I know not right thread but I couldn’t find one…what is going on with Austin area fires in the last month? I hope not a firebug/arsonist. The bread place a few days ago…papa jacks downtown Kyle…some warehouse in north Austin etc…

Cooler weather + poorly maintained rental properties + space heaters on residential stuff.

Commercial shit...insurance.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Cooler weather + poorly maintained rental properties + space heaters on residential stuff.

Commercial shit...insurance.

I sorta know the owner(s) of Texas French Bread. I'd be surprised at fuck if that were even remotely intentional, which APD already said was accidental. 

Some of y'all think that when an owner of a burned-down structure makes a donation to the Fireman Relief & Outreach Fund, it's to thank them for trying to save their building?  That's precious.  And what are the chances, the Fire Marshall just couldn't rule out electrical as the probable cause in his final report, just before that generous donation was made?  

For the record-Texas French Bread was accidental.  I'm talking about warehouses and places emptied out after dark.

Edited by Lobo

Anecdotal and probably nonsense, but our neighborhood pooled and paid for private security patrols starting in December.  Crime dropped to almost nothing, including the disappearance of porch pirates leading up to Christmas.  Too many easier targets out there I guess.

The police funding issue is obnoxious and the typical arguments involve one side not knowing that the police funding is intact (because of the state) while the other side pretends like the reduced police force, anti-police protests, and a complete wet rag of a DA have nothing to do with what anyone who lives here knows is a sharp uptick in property crime.  We've collectively decided that property crime doesn't really matter, which is a lot like a handful of other cities I've lived in with similar politics.   I don't like it, but accept it as the way it goes.  Better than electing a bunch of Mackenzie Kelly types to run things.

Didn't see a mention of this one:

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-investigation-2300-pasadena-dr

Right on the end of my street, walked the dog by there right after and saw all the cop cars and crime scene tape. APD didn't release their "for immediate release!" bulletin until 12 days after the crime, 2 days after the guy died. Suspect unknown, apparently... so good work on the delay.

Coincidentally, I also frequently walk my dog through that apartment complex/parking lot at Burnet/Anderson where the double murder happened...starting to wonder if the common link is me. Or my dog....

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
sausage fingers
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Right on the end of my street, walked the dog by there right after and saw all the cop cars and crime scene tape. APD didn't release their "for immediate release!" bulletin until 12 days after the crime, 2 days after the guy died. Suspect unknown, apparently... so good work on the delay.

Coincidentally, I also frequently walk my dog through that apartment complex/parking lot at Burnet/Anderson where the double murder happened...starting to wonder if the common link is me. Or my dog....

Interesting.

I would have waited for the plea deal before confessing to three murders.

17 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Time for a bigger dog

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7ckjP6-zbKqr1cy7re6M

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Where is this? By Kitch and the Kolache place or further up towards the LA Fitness on the road behind it?

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The deadly stabbing on Sixth Street in downtown Austin last weekend was captured on video later uploaded to Snapchat. Police used it as well as surveillance video from a nearby business and witnesses to identify a suspect in the case. 

U.S. Marshals arrested Donald Paul Carrillo, 24, on Tuesday. He faces a murder charge in the case. KXAN reached out to his attorney for a statement and will update this story when we receive a response.

Police said they received a call at 2:47 a.m. Saturday about a man who was stabbed multiple times on the 400 block of East Sixth Street, near Trinity Street. That man, later identified as Michael O’Brien, was taken to the hospital but died later that day. The Travis County Medical Examiner said he had been stabbed 13 times.

O’Brien had been out with his girlfriend and her friend who had come to visit and had never been to the Sixth Street entertainment district before, according to an arrest affidavit.

Poor tourists. They don't know any better. I mean, hell, it's 6th Street and that must be where Austin still keeps it weird.  

Indeed.

59 minutes ago, texasdago said:

You should’ve heard the Tonkawas bitching when Jacob Harrell built his cabin on the north side of the Colorado River in 1838 along with the Hornsby clan.

• Haha 1