RIP La Mexicana Bakery on South 1st

Hornius Emeritus

8 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Not easy to pay the property taxes on the site of the next big commercial/MF/high-rise development on South First by selling this stuff.  RIP local stuff in Austin.

No photo description available.

image.jpeg

Another victory for marranitos in the long-standing marranitos vs puerquitos war.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

Never been to this place, but it got me thinking about La Reyna Bakery at 1816 S 1st (pretty sure that was the address). I used to stop by there in the 80s. Yelp now says Mumtaz Market by G’Raj Mahal is at that address. Does anyone know when La Reyna closed?

I don’t remember La Reyna having a bakery but maybe it did. It closed at least a decade ago. One of the very few austin joints with homemade tortillas and for breakfast they served a warmed salsa on the side. It was probably my favorite Tex Mex south of the river at the time.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Never been to this place, but it got me thinking about La Reyna Bakery at 1816 S 1st (pretty sure that was the address). I used to stop by there in the 80s. Yelp now says Mumtaz Market by G’Raj Mahal is at that address. Does anyone know when La Reyna closed?

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t remember La Reyna having a bakery but maybe it did. It closed at least a decade ago. One of the very few austin joints with homemade tortillas and for breakfast they served a warmed salsa on the side. It was probably my favorite Tex Mex south of the river at the time.

Before La Mexicana, the South First address had been home to the bakery component of Tex-Mex restaurant La Reyna (which closed completely in 2012). After working in H-E-B’s bakery department, Becerra took over the bakery in 1989, and renamed it La Mexicana. Anthony Bourdain visited the business for a No Reservations episode in 2012.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

When I first came to UT, my Hispanic friends from high school who were already on campus took me to La Reyna.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That’s funny because the bakery is all I ever patronized. I honestly don’t remember a restaurant. I did buy tortillas from La Reyna and a place on Oltorf(?) called Dos Hermanos Tortilleria.

This was all 35-40 years ago. You know what they say…time flies when places close down and die.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Tons of people were bitching about gentrification and F new Austin killing this business, etc. without bothering to read the owner's family's comments that, its been 33 years... they're kind of done.  

image.png.e28c18ff5e2dad3e22f239b07fd8e4b7.png

I get it, but it’s getting harder and harder for small mom & pop businesses to survive, and the property values make it financially foolish to keep things as they are. Even if their kids or someone else wants to take it over, the property owners can’t say no to a sale. Lots of this is natural and inevitable, but all the growth and new money accelerates the process.  It is what it is, but it’s still sad. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I get it, but it’s getting harder and harder for small mom & pop businesses to survive, and the property values make it financially foolish to keep things as they are. Even if their kids or someone else wants to take it over, the property owners can’t say no to a sale. Lots of this is natural and inevitable, but all the growth and new money accelerates the process.  It is what it is, but it’s still sad. 

It's called economics and "highest and best use."  Exhibit A is the Amaya's Taco Village deal.  They are gonna build a tall building there and Amaya's plans to use the ground retail space for their restaurant operations.  That dirt on South First is way too valuable to justify the current situation.  No doubt that the proprietor's retirement will be greatly enhanced by the proceeds from the property sale.

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It's called economics and "highest and best use."  Exhibit A is the Amaya's Taco Village deal.  They are gonna build a tall building there and Amaya's plans to use the ground retail space for their restaurant operations.  That dirt on South First is way too valuable to justify the current situation.  No doubt that the proprietor's retirement will be greatly enhanced by the proceeds from the property sale.

Just checked out this property on the Travis Central Appraisal District website, looks like it is two different tracts.  They have been very fortunate to keep the valuation down over the last 5 years.  That said, stroking a check for around $35k each year for the privilege of baking and selling your baked goods at a property that you supposedly own is, to paraphrase Peggy Hill, no bueno at all. 

https://stage.travis.prodigycad.com/property-detail/302951/2021

https://stage.travis.prodigycad.com/property-detail/302952/2021

And thankfully, it would seem that Mr. Becerra, et al. owns the property, so good for him and his family.  The same deal happened for Matt Martinez and his family, of Matt's El Rancho fame.  They were able to turn the current Four Seasons site into the current South Lamar location and a lakeside recreational property in a tax-free exchange.

Similar good fortune for Moses Vasquez's family and their tamale shop at 100 Congress back in the 1980s.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

"I get what the owner said but actually it was bad white man gentrification"

I'd assume he's making a killing on the property sale. I don't understand why we need to politicize everything under the sun. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I hope you didn’t think that’s what I was saying. 

Yeah, I apologize. I'm a small white man that's trying to become a bigger person day by day. Didn't mean to mischaracterize you and on further review I get what you were saying. At the end of the day I'm an ardent believer in free market capitalism and due to the current political environment I bristle too quickly. 

Austin is a different place than it used to be. I try and take it in stride - because there are pros and cons - I just don't like when common sense is attributed to misanthropic external pressures. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, I apologize. I'm a small white man that's trying to become a bigger person day by day. Didn't mean to mischaracterize you and on further review I get what you were saying. At the end of the day I'm an ardent believer in free market capitalism and due to the current political environment I bristle too quickly. 

Austin is a different place than it used to be. I try and take it in stride - because there are pros and cons - I just don't like when common sense is attributed to misanthropic external pressures. 

I moved from Austin almost 21 years ago. It still bothers me to hear about places having to close, even if it’s a financial windfall for the owners. Or to go back and find old haunts closed. I realize it’s selfish.

I have a friend whose daughter moved to Austin in the past year. He was showing me some pics she sent, one of which was her by the SRV statue. I told him to tell her I remember when he wasn’t a statue.

On one of our more recents trips back, we rented a Vrbo house, and the owner (a recent Austinite) had to tell us that the house had that “old Austin vibe.” Yeah, right. My dad was flippin’ houses in that neighborhood decades before flippin’ was even a term.

Austin obviously has a lot going for it, and I understand why most newcomers don’t get where some of us are coming from or what was so great about Austin Aqua Festival, Jamie’s Spanish Village, Huts, or Magnolia Cafe. But I loved Austin so much back in the 70s and 80s that I can’t help but yell at the clouds sometimes.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
whose, not who’s
  • Hook 'Em 5

I get it.  I thought it really sucked when it was announced that Dry Creek was closing.   I ended up going there the month it closed to relive old times.  Now, the emotional part of me bemoaned its loss but the logical part of me couldn't figure out how it stayed open in that location, in that condition for all those years.  

Maybe something cool will go where that bakery is... but this does give people an opportunity to find some other great places in south Austin.  They're there.  They might be different but they're not all gone.