OK, Laptop was real. MSM corruption

11 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Weird that Anastasis of all people would show up to white knight for an obvious Russian troll. 

Sorry, gonna need a letter signed by 50 former intelligence officials for these allegations to really resonate.

It's really something to watch play out time and time and time again. With each failure iteration only cementing the posturing.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Deplatforming?  

They're still around spewing shit.

This is just the alt-right's version of:

NY Post made allegations.  Turned out they were mostly correct.  The circumstances were suspicious, though.

No, I'm not troubled by it.

You're a very level headed and fair poster on this sub, which is why I directed those questions your way. 

I am more than a bit surprised that you don't have any depth of concern with how this particular situation played out wrt to social media platforms handling and the other plays. 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Ana is deeply and sincerely concerned about the future of America if social media algorithms don’t promote foreign disinformation in the weeks before elections.

I know that you have a soft spot in your heart for that domestic-grade disinformation. 

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You're a very level headed and fair poster on this sub, which is why I directed those questions your way. 

I am more than a bit surprised that you don't have any depth of concern with how this particular situation played out wrt to social media platforms handling and the other plays. 

Oh, I am not a fan of social media, period.  I don't consider it serious news.  It's good for some chucks sometimes, and some fury, too.  But they're private businesses, so no shirt, no shoes, no dice.

But the bottom line is that media pretty much reported the facts, such as they were, and NY Post lacked the forensics to do anything more than raise some suspicions.  And it came from Rudy Giuliani of all people, which is the reddest of red flags.

The former intelligence people expressed some opinions.  Big whoop.  You also had a partisan, unqualified DNI in Ratcliffe trying to bolster it some, but it lacked the necessary provenance to do that authoritatively.

Also, it was clearly a pre-election red herring, so if media didn't want to indulge all the fantasies of yet-unproven allegations in the run-up to an election, that's ok by me.

That it turned out to be authentic, apparently (that isn't actually demonstrated completely), doesn't really change my analysis.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, it was clearly a pre-election red herring, so if media didn't want to indulge all the fantasies of yet-unproven allegations in the run-up to an election, that's ok by me.

That it turned out to be authentic, apparently (that isn't actually demonstrated completely), doesn't really change my analysis.

It's not the media, it's the media being muzzled by a new layer of censors in Twitter and Facebook.

Facebook, Google and Twitter mute or turn down news they don't like or that harms them. Just the other day I posted how Facebook now says it's okay to kill Russians on their platform. I have 3500 Facebook "friends" and I can pretty much fart on there and get dozens of responses. (It's a professional thing; I have to do it.) I got exactly one response to that post. One. 

It's hard enough to get a controversial story into print just from within your own office, and now we've added a whole tier of gatekeepers with no obligation to journalistic ethics or anything else other than their bottom line.

This can and will be weaponized against the Blue Team, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sorry, gonna need a letter signed by 50 former intelligence officials for these allegations to really resonate.

It's really something to watch play out time and time and time again. With each failure iteration only cementing the posturing.  

hqdefault.jpg

But to be fair, maybe it sounds smarter in Russian.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The news media is being muzzled by social media. 

Do you know how stupid that sounds? 

Um, no, not if you knock down that fucking straw man of yours.

Social media is selectively boosting and sinking certain stories. That is what this controversy is about and it should alarm you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

So the "experts" at Facebook, Twitter and Google get to decide what is disinformation? 

It’s a private company. If you don’t like using their product, stop using their product. For fucks sake. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Social media is selectively boosting and sinking certain stories. That is what this controversy is about and it should alarm you.

They can’t think outside of the bipolar political universe. It’s obvious the problems here but hard for some posters to be honest with themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I mean ok, man. 

I mean, it came under highly suspicious circumstances.  No one had done any forensic analysis on the laptop.  It's not really a smoking gun. It contains some useful hearsay for certain points of view.

It's not like proven facts were buried by the actual media.

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Private companies can control what you see on their websites. It’s not a fucking controversy. If Facebook is hurting your fee fees, then fucking stop using it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

getting your news from facebook should alarm every-fucking-body.

Exactly.  If poltroons and morons weren't so reliant on social media to distribute dogshit, we probably wouldn't have this problem.

I hate social media.  But I don't like the idea of government telling them what they can't or must publish.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s a private company. If you don’t like using their product, stop using their product. For fucks sake. 

So, fine. I quit. But what about the great body of American voters?

Also, my own career is tied up in this shit and Facebook directly fucks with my money. I have a mostly non-controversial Substack page and when I link my stories through those fucks they mute them. I can post identical content as a Facebook posts (dozens of likes, hundreds of comments) or as my own link (maybe ten likes and comments.) 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Private companies an control what you see on their websites. It’s not a fucking controversy. If Facebook is hurting your fee fees, then fucking stop using it. 

It. Is. Not. Just. Facebook.

It is also Twitter and Google with its algorithms.

I guess some of y'all believe that the boardrooms of these organizations have not been infiltrated by bright-eyed, bushy tailed little CIA agents by this time. Lol. They've always been in the media and they always will be, and social media as gatekeeper to the media media is even more important. 

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It. Is. Not. Just. Facebook.

It is also Twitter and Google with its algorithms.

I guess some of y'all believe that the boardrooms of these organizations have not been infiltrated by bright-eyed, bushy tailed little CIA agents by this time. Lol. They've always been in the media and they always will be, and social media as gatekeeper to the media media is even more important. 

image.gif.087128a4beb40d47602d6077cc1683bc.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I will say this -- I am glad Trump lost. Immensely relieved. I am just terrified by what the burial of that story revealed about the workings of the media / social media today, ,and you should be to. 

Russian apologia 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Unless you think each newscast and newspaper  gives you all the news of the day, there’s always been amplification of some stories and ignorance of others. 

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Unless you think each newscast and newspaper  gives you all the news of the day, there’s always been amplification of some stories and ignorance of others. 

I've made a living in the media for 20 years. I know this.

What's new is that there is a whole new level of gatekeepers with interests at variance to what is ostensibly the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And that is Silicon Valley. I really don't know how hard this is for y'all to grasp. You can say "Quit using it," but that is as practical as telling someone to live without a cellphone. You can say "don't get your news from there," even as you do it yourself, or as if they were content creators themselves. Really -- where do you get your news from if not your curated feeds? Are you going to tell me you log in to several different newspapers / magazines daily without  any sort of "guidance" from social media, including this site? You can say you are glad they are controlling disinformation, but wait until the shoe is on the other foot. 

23 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

MAC with a real strange normie to Alex Jones transition and we get to watch it in real time.

when I become a racist, anti-Semitic, slanderous, steroid gobbling gun nut with a tank and a mansion, the transformation will be complete, mwahaha

The difference between Alex and me is he's all hung up in the Second Amendment and I am the First. And the First is being fucked with right now in ways the Founders never could have imagined.