Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

7 minutes ago, LTbear said:

The way he was talking, I think they may feel that if it costs them a couple hundred million or more, so what - they'd be down that much from the lost revenue (in comparison to B1G or SEC) anyways. So get a spot in a different conference, leave knowing you'll come out even over the course of the time you had left in the GOR, and then sue or see if the ACC totally crumbles so you don't have to pay anyway. 

Thing is; who knows if FSU even has a landing spot?  Of course they would be an attractive target for a conference, but...it's not certain that ESPN wants to open the wallet again, given their issues, and no one knows if the B1G really want to expand so soon again.  Big 12 is a possibility, I guess.

Just a hunch, but this feels like SDSU trying to leave their conference without a chair when the music stops.

• Hook 'Em 1

There's a couple of long running realignment threads on the Georgia Tech Scout board and Florida State has been complaining and making threats for years and years. If they ever end up in the Big Ten or SEC they will start immediately complaining that Ohio State or Georgia is making more and threaten to move to another conference. It's who they are and what they do. They have been wronged and they will hold their breath until they get what they want.

9 minutes ago, John80 said:

There's a couple of long running realignment threads on the Georgia Tech Scout board and Florida State has been complaining and making threats for years and years. If they ever end up in the Big Ten or SEC they will start immediately complaining that Ohio State or Georgia is making more and threaten to move to another conference. It's who they are and what they do. They have been wronged and they will hold their breath until they get what they want.

Sir, I hope you are not suggesting that FSU is The Bad Actor and The Destroyer of Conferences.

That's our gig.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think it could be posturing from Florida State to get an unequal revenue share from the ACC. I believe they’ve said as much in the recent past. 

He addressed that while talking. More or less word for word was "So then we're behind 29 million a year instead of 32 million a year. Who cares."

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So what’s Florida State’s next move after they break out of the ACC? Somebody is pulling their strings and it sure as shit ain’t ESPN/SEC. 

FSU has to be #2 on the BIG's list behind ND.  Same with Fox- top BIG teams vs FSU, Miami, and (maybe Clemson).  BTN in FL at in-market rates.

CBS and NBC would love it also, as it would mean more top tier games every week for the BIG.

With Iger talking about bringing in a strategic partner for ESPN (not a good sign), Fox/BIG may feel like now is the time to strike, while ESPN is weak.

And if the strong football brands leave the ACC, that will force ND to the BIG.  Lots of motivation for BIG and Fox.

//

I guess it's possible that the FSU admin all took a massive batch of mind-altering drugs simultaneously and they actually don't have a deal set up already.  But the only way I could see that happening is if Klownkoff was the President of FSU.😂

6 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Link to de chat.

I bet the FSU General Counsel is wishing his Board chair would STFU and not be saying this stuff for the whole world to hear. 

Probably hit the Jack Black hard tonight (the GC that is).

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

Their lawyers apparently think they have a fraud case against the ACC due to Swofford and the conference knowingly misleading them with false statements and revenue projections.

If they really announce a 2024 departure from the ACC in the next two weeks, we're going into realignment overdrive.

2024 already has USC/UCLA and UT/OU on the move.  IF FSU and a bunch of other ACC schools go BIG/SEC also, combined with the first year of the 12 team playoff and the WAC10 potentially disintegrating, CFB is going to look like an entirely different world.

Wild times.

No a bunch of rando dumbassess on the Internet think the have a case, FSU’s lawyers know very clearly they don’t have a case.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, John80 said:

If they ever end up in the Big Ten or SEC they will start immediately complaining that Ohio State or Georgia is making more and threaten to move to another conference. It's who they are and what they do

That is the kind of bullshit people say about Texas and the SEC. You need to take your retarded ass and your dumbfuck arguments somewhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

PAC is out of options. If the college presidents turn down the Apple deal, where do they go? Disney is in a world of hurt right now, and they may have trouble meeting the payment requirements for their existing contracts. Their subsidiary, ESPN, was the entity driving the higher prices for the sports package agreements. 

With them out of the picture, FOX, Apple, Amazon, etc., are NOT going to care about what the PAC wants. They're not going to bid up a price against air, and nobody else is bidding. 

My opinion is that FOX and Comcast sprang a trap on Disney. Rupert Murdoch had a garage sale on all the stuff FOX didn't want anymore. He knew Iger bought everything in sight, and Comcast bid up the price until Disney paid an astounding $71 billion for the properties. This cash strapped Disney. Now, Comcast is, through an old contract, forcing Disney to buy out the rest of Hulu, so the mouse is going to have to come up with billions of dollars that they don't have, and interest rates are the highest they've been in over twenty years. They don't have the money, and I'm not sure they can get the money. 

That's why Iger has been talking about selling ABC and getting "strategic partners" for ESPN. What he means is he needs the money fairy to bail them out. He wants someone to give them a cash infusion while letting Disney continue to have controlling interest. That ain't happening. The only organizations with that kind of money aren't going to be passive partners. They're going to want the steering wheel. 

Iger has always spent money like a frat boy in a whore house with his daddy's credit card. With him out of the game, prices are going to drop. The remaining schools can sign off on Apple, look for another conference landing spot, or enter the 2024 season with no media contract. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I didn't think of this aspect of an Apple TV deal. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. Saturday night at Seattle sports bar will probably have a SEC or Big Ten game on. 

I’d thought of this immediately. I have to call around if I want to watch an OSU baseball game on ESPN+, bars that market themselves as sports bars usually have it, regular bars with tvs don’t. I imagine many would get apple on the west coast but again only dedicated sports bars, so like having to go out of your way to sign up and find it from your couch, you have to find a bar that has it playing. People at regular bars won’t come across it, including everywhere outside of the PAC footprint since they won’t buy Apple plus when they can play any other game in any linear network. It’s a real mess to dedicate most of your games to a non-sports streaming service. A bunch of BIG12 games will be pushed to ESPN+, but it won’t be the majority of games, and like I said, at least most sports bar have it if you request the game. 

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I’d thought I’d this immediately. I have to call around if I want to watch an OSU baseball game on ESPN+, barsbthat market themselves as sports bars usually have it, regular bars with tvs don’t. I imagine many would get apple on the west coast but again only dedicated spirts bats so like having to go out of your way to sign up and find it from your couch, you have to find a bar that has it playing. People at regular bats won’t come across it, including everywhere outside of the PAC footprint since they won’t buy Apple plus when they can play any other game in any linear rework. It’s a real mess to dedicate most of your games to a non-sports streaming service. A bunch of BIG12 games will be pushed to ESPN+, but it won’t be the majority of games, and like I said, at least most sports bar have it if you request the game. 

The way I understand it is that at bars and restaurants they have to purchase packages per TV, not per location. So if they have 40 TV's on top of the 40 television packages they purchased they'd also have to purchase apple tv for 40 TV's. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The way I understand it is that at bars and restaurants they have to purchase packages per TV, not per location. So if they have 40 TV's on top of the 40 television packages they purchased they'd also have to purchase apple tv for 40 TV's. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

They offer a business package and I'm sure the number of TV's is a factor, but it's surely not the same price per TV.

13 hours ago, John80 said:

Always the victim.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah I'm sure they get a discount but still...having to buy an extra package on top of the ones you already have is not ideal.

I'd say just have an employee bring in a Roku from home for that TV in the corner, but we don't know if the cease and desist would be coming from Apple's lawyers or from the Pac's lolyers.

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why can't a sports bar have an apple TV or two throughout the seating area? I agree that the conference is dead, but it's not that hard to hook one or two of those up to your bigger TVs. 

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How come I don't have the internet at a tailgate? Is the tailgate in Cambodia? I have a super computer in my pocket that works as a wifi router is I push a button. it also has the internet on it so I can go to the website and then screen share to my TV. I can watch something on Apple TV while I am in the stands at a football game.

Bars won't have Apple TV? How are MLS fans watching games in bars right now?

How does this guy get on to twitter if he hasn't figured out how a person can watch something that is streaming on the internet?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

If a game is on ESPN how do I watch it at a tailgate???? Do I drop a cable run over to the parking lot or do I use the internet?

Satellite TV has had ESPN for decades.  Most tailgate parties use satellite.

However, as a Time Warner/Spectrum customer, there are many WiFi hotspots in downtown Austin that I can use, so I can connect my smart TV or streaming device (roku, firestick, etc.) via WiFi hotspot and have access to all of my streaming services.  It works... okay.  Lotsa of internet traffic on a busy Saturday afternoon but I've had some success over the years. 

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Why can't a sports bar have an apple TV or two throughout the seating area? I agree that the conference is dead, but it's not that hard to hook one or two of those up to your bigger TVs. 

They can have AppleTV, sure. But most of them don’t.  You probably don’t go to a lot of sports bars, I’m guessing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I often watch games on my phone at bars or restaurants, but it's very different than broadcasting it on televisions within a sports bar. You're right that it'd be easy to do, and the chances of getting caught are pretty low, but I assume they are like ASCAP and send spies into bars and restaurants to see if they can catch a cheater. It's also easy to record and play a copyrighted video to a large group of people without permission while charging entry fees (think movie night at a church or school) but its still illegal and you don't want to be the one who gets caught. The pricing discount is probably enough to make bars and restaurants just purchase the commercial package to avoid even having to think about the legal concern.

The bigger issue here is that few, if any, bars and restaurants outside the PAC footprint will have enough interest from their patrons to bother with buying an apple PAC package, and even within the footprint the problem seems to be lack of interest in general. ESPN+ has the advantage that it plays all sorts of stuff that people nationwide are interested in seeing and that they might want to broadcast. This apple package would only be PAC games. I'm sure many soccer themed sports bars pay for the MLS package, and there is probably way more interest nationwide in MLS than a few PAC football games a year.

Edited by 'stache

Bar managers are almost always going to only show channels that they can flip through on their TV guide, because it’s quick and easy. If there’s any additional step involved, they won’t do it unless there’s enough demand/requests. Opening a streaming service app is an additional step 95% of bar managers won’t hassle with. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Bar managers are almost always going to only show channels that they can flip through on their TV guide, because it’s quick and easy. If there’s any additional step involved, they won’t do it unless there’s enough demand/requests. Opening a streaming service app is an additional step 95% of bar managers won’t hassle with. 

Yup, Buffalo Wild Wings and maybe a few nationwide sports chains would buy it, maybe a few large local sports bars on the west coast, otherwise, there isn't going to be many commercial packages sold. Joe's corner pub isn't going to get enough requests for ORST v. Cal to convince them to buy in.

Edited by 'stache

16 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

This Pac12 deal is likely not very lucrative, but I will not stand idly by while people pretend streaming isn't better than cable just because they want to get their dunks in!

I'm gonna disagree with you.  Right now, I would say cable is still better than streaming.

Cable is easier to flip between games.

Cable doesn't have buffering issues.  Some neighborhoods don't have fiber optic yet.  Some are forced to only have two mediocre internet providers.  You get the idea.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/article/george-klaivkoff-presents-pac-12-heavy-streaming-deal--213524809/

"The Pac-12 held a meeting on Tuesday morning in which George Kliavkoff was able to finally present numbers. There were three different deals presented, but the one that Kliavkoff felt the strongest about was led by Apple with a base in the low $20 million range.

As we previously reported, the deal includes heavy incentives that are based on subscriptions directly related to the Pac-12. The base number of the deal is considerably low compared to other Power 5 conferences, but the selling point would be that if the Pac-12 hits certain subscription number, it could possibly surpass the Big 12 base. 

Sources indicate that those subscription numbers would have to be substantial in order to get to that level...."