Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Timestamped at BOR chair talking about Texas move to the SEC

Great to see the Chair of the BOT of a state flagship university who understands the CFB fan experience, the SEC and actually knows what the Grove is.

Contrast that with the UC Regents last year talking about impact of USC and UCLA to the BIG on Cal.

It was a complete clown show, where they all exposed their ignorance.  It was so clear none of them had any clue.

He's 100% correct that Horns Down penalties are stupid and that it's a compliment to UT.

When you're hated, you're relevant.  No one does anti-Rutgers signs because no one cares.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

I mean...SMU comes in for free for x years and Cal/Furd come in at 60-70% shares.  That's $50Mish added to the pool of other schools.  Do they go uneven to shut Clemson and FSU up?  Or is it an even split for an extra $3-4M a year each?  Travel is negligible except for the new schools...1 trip out west for football every other year and same presumably for bball (maybe once is year) is negligible.  And Apple is definitely hovering, do they sign an auxiliary deal for another $1-2M per school for filler games (or maybe more)?  I dunno.  Shit is blowing up in 5 years anyway, so...

The ACC Network gets a bump with DFW and the Bay Area I guess, but its not THAT big of a bump.   The ACC is paid about the same as the B12, so lets, for simplicity, call it $35m.

If Stanford, Cal, Oregon State or WSU were worth $35m, why isn't ESPN putting them in the B12, since they just paid for that for the 4 corners?   Clearly OSU/WSU are not on par and probably value out closer to $15m, which will help the MWC.   If Calford IS worth $70m combined but turned down the B12, then you could make it make sense I guess, but only for a short period of time.    At your 60-70%, that only amounts to $25m/year back to FSU/Clemson to split, but then they have to ship a fuck ton of other schools out to the west coast?   I mean Washington mentioned $10m in increased travel to the B1G, but they'll be making $80+m in six years.

Its all sunken money.   They'd be better off saying, "you play in the playoffs you split 50% and the remaining 50% is split to non-participants."    That would make Clemson/FSU waaaaay more money in the short and long run as the ACC will likely be making $100-150m a year from the post season going forward.

22 minutes ago, John80 said:

I don't know if Cal has an offer from the big12 but that seems to be where Cal could make the most money and their governing board should step in and make them take it like Arizona did with Crow.  

As a Cal fan, I doubt Cal has (or would ever get) a Big XII offer.

Edited by LTbear

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm very aware of our history.  Trust me, I had season tickets through 3 separate 2 win seasons and a bunch of 3 win seasons.

I'm just saying there's no guaranteed lay up in the current Big 12.  Obviously it doesn't have the top end of the Big 10, but I'd bet every single Big 12 team (and all 4 coming in next year) would be favored over Northwestern, Indiana, and Rutgers on a neutral field today.

And the historical record that far back is kind of useless.  Like you pointed out, KSU is #111.  No one on this site (save Armybrat) can remember KSU being anything other than an extremely competitive program (now, excuse while I go vomit for complimenting those fucksticks).

3 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah, time will tell. I'm just saying that the odds of CU/AU/ASU/KU all being better than awful in any given year are very low. There are going to be free wins. And now that we have 16 teams, there are going to be a whole lot of questions about how divisions/pods/etc will work. If both conferences go without divisions or fail to balance the divisions, different schools within the same conference are going to have wildly different strengths of schedules. 1/4 of the schools in the B1G won't even play Ohio State or Michigan in any given year, setting up something comparable to a season in the American.

The Big12 of the LHN era was very competitive.  Only one easy win in KU and while OU seemingly always won it, the Sooners had a loss.  While the 12-1 conf champion was common in all conferences,  I think in the big12 it was more likely because there were so many high risk offenses. 

the new Big12mart does not look like that.   The best of the AAC is joining but there is only hope and few reasons to believe the PAC adoptees will be more than doormats.

2 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

The Big12 of the LHN era was very competitive.  Only one easy win in KU and while OU seemingly always won it, the Sooners had a loss.  While the 12-1 conf champion was common in all conferences,  I think in the big12 it was more likely because there were so many high risk offenses. 

the new Big12mart does not look like that.   The best of the AAC is joining but there is only hope and few reasons to believe the PAC adoptees will be more than doormats.

I think Cincinnati, UCF, Utah, and BYU should be solid. Houston will probably be competitive once they move on from Holgorsen. But yeah, I'm not very impressed with UA, ASU, or CU football.

9 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think Cincinnati, UCF, Utah, and BYU should be solid. Houston will probably be competitive once they move on from Holgorsen. But yeah, I'm not very impressed with UA, ASU, or CU football.

Coug High kind of feels like Jon Kay’s job to lose. Literally give it the ole college try for a year at Rice coaching linebackers and then he moves his office across town. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I think it's legit if its the model someone posted a few pages back, that the "western wing" (either Stanford and Cal and maybe also SMU) would get a small portion of the media contract (SMU possibly none for several years) but they'll be allowed to enter into an agreement with Apple to generate additional revenue. I would assume that if it's wildly successful, any amount that would exceed everyone else's payout would be readjusted for equal payment to all in that scenario. I have an SMU graduate degree and would love to see them as an ACC member, even if the boosters cover them for 5-7 years (not my money, don't really care). 

Nobody, even Baylor, deserves relegation more than SMU.  Maybe they will get another death penalty and Rice will get their slot!

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

Great to see the Chair of the BOT of a state flagship university who understands the CFB fan experience, the SEC and actually knows what the Grove is.

Contrast that with the UC Regents last year talking about impact of USC and UCLA to the BIG on Cal.

It was a complete clown show, where they all exposed their ignorance.  It was so clear none of them had any clue.

He's 100% correct that Horns Down penalties are stupid and that it's a compliment to UT.

When you're hated, you're relevant.  No one does anti-Rutgers signs because no one cares.

if the opposing players are doing it  to other players, it is taunting.  We need to treat all taunting the same.  So its not stupid.

My thoughts 

1. Shouldn't the ACC presidents do something crazy Like go to an SMU game in Dallas. Just to see how tiny and empty their stadium is.

2. Remember that time when Klownkov took a day trip to SMU. Like the PACX was gonna be in position to have their choice in who they'd add in order to get back to 12? LOL

44 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Losses gotta come from somewhere. 

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m not sure if you’re being facetious, but the Big 10’s TV deal has very little to do with the quality of football. It has a great TV deal because it contains large schools in high population states that love football

Seems to be pretty much what he said. 

Sounds like Dellenger thinks Cal, Stanford, and SMU to the ACC is happening. Probably a money grab to appease Florida State and their silent partner Clemson. 

SMU not taking any TV money is nuts. Their athletic department is going to be completely donor funded. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

My thoughts 

1. Shouldn't the ACC presidents do something crazy Like go to an SMU game in Dallas. Just to see how tiny and empty their stadium is.

2. Remember that time when Klownkov took a day trip to SMU. Like the PACX was gonna be in position to have their choice in who they'd add in order to get back to 12? LOL

I think the ACC will murder SMU on scheduling. All the small schools plus Cal and Stanford. I can’t imagine Clemson or Florida State playing at Ford.

Cal, Stanford, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, BC, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse sounds about right. Still more compelling than an AAC schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the ACC will murder SMU on scheduling. All the small schools plus Cal and Stanford. I can’t imagine Clemson or Florida State playing at Ford.

Cal, Stanford, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, BC, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse sounds about right. Still more compelling than an AAC schedule. 

There is some talent in the Bay Area towns.  I can't imagine a Stanford-Clemson recruiting battle. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think it's legit if its the model someone posted a few pages back, that the "western wing" (either Stanford and Cal and maybe also SMU) would get a small portion of the media contract (SMU possibly none for several years) but they'll be allowed to enter into an agreement with Apple to generate additional revenue. I would assume that if it's wildly successful, any amount that would exceed everyone else's payout would be readjusted for equal payment to all in that scenario. I have an SMU graduate degree and would love to see them as an ACC member, even if the boosters cover them for 5-7 years (not my money, don't really care). 

32,000 capacity at Ford Stadium

So would ponies in ACC start playing more games at the Cotton Bowl ??  

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So SMU couldn’t sell their home OOC games to a local TV partner, right? I would assume the ACC would own their Tier 2 and 3 rights. 

Their noncon home games this year against La Tech and Prarie View will be on ESPN U and ESPN+. Not sure if they get paid for them, I assume so, but those are bottom run outlets.

The autopsy on the PAC will be interesting. I’ll contend Oregon and UW were never going to sign a GOR after the LA schools left. Oregon had to go with USC to remain competitive in recruiting. 

I suspect UW and Oregon were among the schools that rejected ESPN’s $30 million offer in Fall 2022. I don’t think they were behind the $50 million counter offer, but if they were, it was a master stroke to kill the PAC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How many additional seats? 

I have not seen numbers, but they are all new seats and the students won’t be able to stand in the grass, but if I had to guess, at least three fiddy. 

Edited by jTower

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How many additional seats? 

Might be 13k more...Wiki info for smu stadium

Future expansion

The north-south oriented stadium is bowl-shaped, with stands on three sides (west, east, and north). The stadium is expandable to 45,000 seats by enclosing the horseshoe on the south end

52 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Wake Forest is 31,500. I don’t think this will be an issue. Not ideal but it won’t stop anything.

This very odd dynamic where fans of programs with55k seat stadiums ridicule lesser programs with 30k seat stadiums 🤔

Oh, I looked it up. AT&T had 100k seats available for B12 CGs. In 2021 (BU vs OSU), they sold 66k. In 2022 (TCU vs KSU) they sold 69k. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Coug High kind of feels like Jon Kay’s job to lose. Literally give it the ole college try for a year at Rice coaching linebackers and then he moves his office across town. 

Anyone that would hire a position coach that is a year removed from high school, to run a P5 program, should have their nuts kicked repeatedly.

kicked-in-the-nuts-gif.gif.3a92e8093fe571799a63fd1d0de6b009.gif

Edited by redswingline

18 minutes ago, statsman said:

This very odd dynamic where fans of programs with55k seat stadiums ridicule lesser programs with 30k seat stadiums 🤔

Oh, I looked it up. AT&T had 100k seats available for B12 CGs. In 2021 (BU vs OSU), they sold 66k. In 2022 (TCU vs KSU) they sold 69k. 

I don't think they do the expansion for the Big XII title game. I think its the regular 80K capacity. Maybe they did the expansion when it was OU/TX. Can that be set up in a week? OU's appearances drew similar attendance. There's an obvious bump the one time OU/TX made the game.

2017 OU v. TCU 64,104

2018 OU v. TX 83,114

2019 OU v. Baylor 65,191

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Anyone that would hire a position coach that is a year removed from high school should have their nuts kicked repeatedly.

kicked-in-the-nuts-gif.gif.3a92e8093fe571799a63fd1d0de6b009.gif

McGuire spent a whooping 4 years in college coaching before Tech. So what’s your point?

Coug High desperately needs some juice in Houston recruiting. Kay is the only guy that comes to mind.

3 hours ago, jTower said:

SMU donors are willing to pay for facilities upgrades as well as foot the bill for an AD that won't get media revenue for as long as seven years?  On top of that, they'll fund an NIL operation competitive enough to win games in a power conference?  I guess you do what you gotta do to get your foot in the door but that's an enormous buy-in.  

Assuming they do get in, though, the ACC will have three outliers in Big 12 territory (SMU, Stanford, Cal), and vice versa (WVU, Cincy, UCF.)  Maybe at some point the two conferences swap.   

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

32,000 capacity at Ford Stadium

So would ponies in ACC start playing more games at the Cotton Bowl ??  

ACC will feel right at home.  Just like Wake Forest and Duke.  And empty like BC.  SMU will not trail the league in attendance.

3 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

I am a bit behind on my SMU traditions.  Did they once play the same as the Dallas Cowboys?

There was a time when they were called the best professional football team in Dallas (yes the Cowboys had a streak where they were pretty bad).

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

SMU donors are willing to pay for facilities upgrades as well as foot the bill for an AD that won't get media revenue for as long as seven years?  On top of that, they'll fund an NIL operation competitive enough to win games in a power conference?  I guess you do what you gotta do to get your foot in the door but that's an enormous buy-in.  

Assuming they do get in, though, the ACC will have three outliers in Big 12 territory (SMU, Stanford, Cal), and vice versa (WVU, Cincy, UCF.)  Maybe at some point the two conferences swap.   

ACC makes more in non-TV revenue per school than AAC makes for all revenue.  So it will still be more money for SMU.

SMU knows what it’s doing. Before TCU joined the B12, their university endowments were roughly equal at $1B. Now, TCU’s is $2.4B and SMU’s is $1.9B. SMU wants some of that sweet donor money that comes in with major college football (and doesn’t with G5 football, evidently). 

It’s a cynical move, but SMU knows cynicism. The NCAA busted them good in the early ‘80s and they had a choice-go clean and let some of the paid players that the NCAA didn’t know about start talking, or announce that they were going clean but keep paying those guys. They chose the latter. 

Now, SMU is a different cat than TCU. At TCU, the football team is the best fraternity on campus. At SMU, the football team is the hired help. It’s a whole different vibe. 

• Hook 'Em 1