Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That’s what they do in the current arrangement (7-9 is their average))

They all assume their SOS is going up in the future.

And if they win 9 games in the new Big 12, they probably aren’t in the CCG, which they’ve made twice.

With the expanded playoff, if they finish 3rd, they probably get in. Sometimes that's going to be easier than finishing 2nd in the Big 12, and sometimes it's going to be harder. Both leagues have some free wins now, but you get a little bit more opportunity to draw them on the schedule in the Big 10.

35 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

With the expanded playoff, if they finish 3rd, they probably get in. Sometimes that's going to be easier than finishing 2nd in the Big 12, and sometimes it's going to be harder. Both leagues have some free wins now, but you get a little bit more opportunity to draw them on the schedule in the Big 10.

Who are the free wins in the Big 12?  The worst Big 12 team is better than 3-4 Big 10 teams as long as KU and Zona stay competitive.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Who are the free wins in the Big 12?  The worst Big 12 team is better than 3-4 Big 10 teams as long as KU and Zona stay competitive.

But they're not better as long as Rutgers and Purdue stay competitive.

I mean over the last two decades that's about the same likelihood.

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That’s what they do in the current arrangement (7-9 is their average))

They all assume their SOS is going up in the future.

And if they win 9 games in the new Big 12, they probably aren’t in the CCG, which they’ve made twice.

How many players at ISU have been booted due to gambling? initially I thought it was just a couple dudes but seems like more keep dropping each week.

2 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

All this talk about elitism and arrogance is a hoot coming from a cult member whose wacko nutjob religion made being not-white a sin and declared that those who go to heaven must have white and delightful skin.

User name checks out

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d also like to know the ISU body count? How many starters? Two deep? Scholarship count?

I’m not trying to kick them while they’re down or throw stones, but I’d like to gauge the difficulty of the game in Ames. Off the top of my head, losing your starting QB and RB isn’t good. 

2-star culture and players vs 5-star players. 

• Haha 2

How many players at ISU have been booted due to gambling? initially I thought it was just a couple dudes but seems like more keep dropping each week.

4. Been known in ISU circles since early June. Our QB was physically talented but utterly brain dead. It didn’t change my outlook at all.

6 of our 8 losses were by less than a TD, and most fell on missed FGs or bad turnovers from the QB

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

The Big 12 has just about guaranteed its survival as the 3rd best conference. They and their schools are positioned exactly where they deserve to be. They don't deserve to be left out, but they also equipped to compete in the top two conferences.  They all maintain a shot at the title, but can compete with each other on a relatively even playing field.

In the same way Frankenstein guaranteed the survival of parts of people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

I’d also like to know the ISU body count? How many starters? Two deep? Scholarship count?
I’m not trying to kick them while they’re down or throw stones, but I’d like to gauge the difficulty of the game in Ames. Off the top of my head, losing your starting QB and RB isn’t good. 

We’re going to have a real salty defense, and if our offense even approaches average, we’ll win a little.

Remember, we were a dropped routine fly ball from winning in Austin last year. We were two missed field goals from a bowl game, and a very different narrative about the program. We might not be great, but we’re a tough out even with the gambling losses.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

4. Been known in ISU circles since early June. Our QB was physically talented but utterly brain dead. It didn’t change my outlook at all.

6 of our 8 losses were by less than a TD, and most fell on missed FGs or bad turnovers from the QB

Saltine crackers are rather boring

13 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly.  What do those paychecks and conference affiliations do for fans?  

Even those second tier Big 10 and SEC schools are going to have to adjust their fan expectations.  I know a lot of Iowa fans that are not happy about the Big 10 West going away.  They always had a chance to play for a conference title in that set up, and after this year, unless some lopsided divisions return to the league (or they keep getting schedules that dodge all the good teams in the league), they will probably never play for another conference title.

Schools like Iowa and Auburn might be at risk with more powers in the conference.

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Iowa has quite a few also.  The state has a gambling problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Free win doesn’t mean you were an unforced error away from losing at home to a team. Free win is Kansas prior to last year.

I’m just giving you shit man, but historically? You’re #112 in all time winning percentage. Worst in the conference.  Kansas State is just above you at 111. Kansas 108. Baylor 83. Ok State 73. Tcu 67. Houston 63. Tech 58. Arizona 56. Colorado 44. 

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I’m just giving you shit man, but historically? You’re #112 in all time winning percentage. Worst in the conference.  Kansas State is just above you at 111. Kansas 108. Baylor 83. Ok State 73. Tcu 67. Houston 63. Tech 58. Arizona 56. Colorado 44. 

I'm very aware of our history.  Trust me, I had season tickets through 3 separate 2 win seasons and a bunch of 3 win seasons.

I'm just saying there's no guaranteed lay up in the current Big 12.  Obviously it doesn't have the top end of the Big 10, but I'd bet every single Big 12 team (and all 4 coming in next year) would be favored over Northwestern, Indiana, and Rutgers on a neutral field today.

And the historical record that far back is kind of useless.  Like you pointed out, KSU is #111.  No one on this site (save Armybrat) can remember KSU being anything other than an extremely competitive program (now, excuse while I go vomit for complimenting those fucksticks).

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Between CU, Arizona, ASU, and KU, there are just about always going to be 2 or 3. ISU has been better over the past few years, but they are also a program that has never had a 10 win season, so I think it's more likely they fall into that group than stay out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Obviously it doesn't have the top end of the Big 10, but I'd bet every single Big 12 team (and all 4 coming in next year) would be favored over Northwestern, Indiana, and Rutgers on a neutral field today..

For a conference that blows as much as the Big 10, they have a great TV deal.

I guess people have nothing else to do in the N/NE except ice fish, argue over whether coors light or bud light is better and watch bad football.

For a conference that blows as much as the Big 10, they have a great TV deal.
I guess people have nothing else to do in the N/NE except ice fish, argue over whether coors light or bud light is better and watch bad football.

I’m not sure if you’re being facetious, but the Big 10’s TV deal has very little to do with the quality of football. It has a great TV deal because it contains large schools in high population states that love football.

The Big 12 and ACC play similar quality football but have smaller fanbases, and in the Big 12’s case, smaller states where they have 2nd most popular school. So they get paid a lot less.

People don’t tune into college sports to watch the highest level of the game. They tune in because they are emotionally invested in the institution.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Between CU, Arizona, ASU, and KU, there are just about always going to be 2 or 3. ISU has been better over the past few years, but they are also a program that has never had a 10 win season, so I think it's more likely they fall into that group than stay out of it.

Our total ineptitude mostly came during an era where we weren't very institutionally committed to football.  Since we really bought in as a fanbase/university, we've been at least competitive most of the time, with the end of the Rhoads era being an exception.  Even those teams gave a lot of better squads really tight games (see UT/ISU 2014 in Austin).

I don't think we'll ever be dominant at any level, but I don't think we'll be a guaranteed W either.  At least not with the current athletic department administration.

48 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m not sure if you’re being facetious, but the Big 10’s TV deal has very little to do with the quality of football. It has a great TV deal because it contains large schools in high population states that love football.

The Big 12 and ACC play similar quality football but have smaller fanbases, and in the Big 12’s case, smaller states where they have 2nd most popular school. So they get paid a lot less.

People don’t tune into college sports to watch the highest level of the game. They tune in because they are emotionally invested in the institution.

speaking kyle broflovski GIF by South Park

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our total ineptitude mostly came during an era where we weren't very institutionally committed to football.  Since we really bought in as a fanbase/university, we've been at least competitive most of the time, with the end of the Rhoads era being an exception.  Even those teams gave a lot of better squads really tight games (see UT/ISU 2014 in Austin).

I don't think we'll ever be dominant at any level, but I don't think we'll be a guaranteed W either.  At least not with the current athletic department administration.

Yeah, time will tell. I'm just saying that the odds of CU/AU/ASU/KU all being better than awful in any given year are very low. There are going to be free wins. And now that we have 16 teams, there are going to be a whole lot of questions about how divisions/pods/etc will work. If both conferences go without divisions or fail to balance the divisions, different schools within the same conference are going to have wildly different strengths of schedules. 1/4 of the schools in the B1G won't even play Ohio State or Michigan in any given year, setting up something comparable to a season in the American.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Seems fair to me.  I'm not upset by the Big 10's media deal.  They have the eyeballs on their product.  It's just capitalism.

I just get annoyed when people conflate their financial success with the quality of football.

I don't disagree.  Nothing has ever been equal in college athletics.  Schools don't compete on an equal footing in athletics or academics.  It's always been one big status game anyway, before the money got so big.    

7 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah, time will tell. I'm just saying that the odds of CU/AU/ASU/KU all being better than awful in any given year are very low. There are going to be free wins. And now that we have 16 teams, there are going to be a whole lot of questions about how divisions/pods/etc will work. If both conferences go without divisions or fail to balance the divisions, different schools within the same conference are going to have wildly different strengths of schedules. 1/4 of the schools in the B1G won't even play Ohio State or Michigan in any given year, setting up something comparable to a season in the American.

This has been going on ever since they created divisions.  Iowa/Ohio State gets played like every 4 or 5 years.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

People in enjoy watching good college football. The better thanness element is something networks hype and fans of favored programs glom onto. The differences in viewership are not that great:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2022/12/06/big-12-championship-game-viewership-barely-trails-sec-big-ten-blows-out-pac-12-acc/

The Big 12 Championship game between Kansas State and TCU drew an average of 9.41 million viewers, which ranks them third out of the conference games, just behind the SEC (10.89M) and Big Ten (10.70M)…

The Big 12 championship game had more viewers than the ACC and Pac-12 championship games combined. It was much closer to the SEC and B1G in viewership.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, DFW Horn said:

Plus, it's in the fucking Rust Belt with colder winters, declining populations, and fewer recruits. We can and will play Michigan, tOSU, and USC non-conference. 

Not a good fit for UT.

Agreed. Was surprised when i heard UT almost committed to the P-12 and B1G. 

Yall will love the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Haha, a problem in that they looked.   I would imagine politicians and HCs in 49 other states are racing to whatever powers that be to just not look.

No, no.  It's only a problem in one small state in the middle of the country.  Specifically at the marquee programs at the most visible and popular universities.  This isn't happening anywhere else. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Zhorn96 said:

More Cal fanfic.  

I think it's legit if its the model someone posted a few pages back, that the "western wing" (either Stanford and Cal and maybe also SMU) would get a small portion of the media contract (SMU possibly none for several years) but they'll be allowed to enter into an agreement with Apple to generate additional revenue. I would assume that if it's wildly successful, any amount that would exceed everyone else's payout would be readjusted for equal payment to all in that scenario. I have an SMU graduate degree and would love to see them as an ACC member, even if the boosters cover them for 5-7 years (not my money, don't really care). 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I cannot come up with a single financial model that makes this make sense, except one.   If ND joins as a full member and the ACC gets the second NBC slot.

Dr Strange Calculating Win outcome in Infinity War, hollywood GIFs - Gifvif

I mean...SMU comes in for free for x years and Cal/Furd come in at 60-70% shares.  That's $50Mish added to the pool of other schools.  Do they go uneven to shut Clemson and FSU up?  Or is it an even split for an extra $3-4M a year each?  Travel is negligible except for the new schools...1 trip out west for football every other year and same presumably for bball (maybe once is year) is negligible.  And Apple is definitely hovering, do they sign an auxiliary deal for another $1-2M per school for filler games (or maybe more)?  I dunno.  Shit is blowing up in 5 years anyway, so...

Edited by Zhorn96

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I think it's legit if its the model someone posted a few pages back, that the "western wing" (either Stanford and Cal and maybe also SMU) would get a small portion of the media contract (SMU possibly none for several years) but they'll be allowed to enter into an agreement with Apple to generate additional revenue. I would assume that if it's wildly successful, any amount that would exceed everyone else's payout would be readjusted for equal payment to all in that scenario. I have an SMU graduate degree and would love to see them as an ACC member, even if the boosters cover them for 5-7 years (not my money, don't really care). 

I was being facetious re: the fanfic.  And agree about the donor subsidies... those 3 schools have deep deep pockets if they can figure out how to access them.