Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

A “Texas A&M-Coastal Bend” makes a lot of sense for the system, the region, and taxpayers but I have a real soft spot for the history and attitude of A&I/TAMUK and would hate to see it fold. Honestly, combining the schools, reviving the A&I name but making Corpus the hub would be the compromise I’d vote for. I don’t think the Islanders have accomplished anything of note but the Javelina brand is old-school legendary. 

I didn’t like the Broncs going away or the Pan-American name change, I thought that they should have just folded UTB into the system and left it at that. Lots of people loved and cared about the Broncs and had a connection but approximately no one cared about the Ocelots. (I had to look up their mascot and I lived in the Valley for 22 years). 

With A&I being my first alma mater, I can say without any reservations a lot of what has gone on is self inflicted.   For instance, the first attempt at the merger was shot down led by the local hometown State Rep and he called Sharpe a liar right to his face.  Sharpe said this will be back and he knows if he weighs it heavily towards Corpus this time around, it would be a go.  Last time Kingsville was going to be able to keep the football program and get the brand spanking new facilities to compliment it.  

I agree with you 100% on UTRGV.    They should have kept the Broncs as the mascot.   I don’t think many people in the RGV knew UTB even had an athletic program to combine?   I think they had just a few sports and played D3 or NAIA?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

Read a report that NM State, Sam Houston, and Tarleton are talking with C-USA.

McNeese and Incarnate Word have reached out to the WAC. McNeese also talking with SunBelt and C-USA.

Tarleton at FBS, I don’t know. They’d for sure have to do ticket buybacks to get to attendance. FCS seems like the right spot for them. 

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Let’s be clear—Tarleton will do whatever College Station tells them they’ll do.

Yeah aggy thinks getting more teams in DI/FBS will somehow get them 50% of the PUF.  They are trying to pump up their system schools athletics but they aren't doing anything to increase their academics.  It’s so backwards and sad.

Partner and antagonist of the Dude of West Virginia-Greg Flugaur-sometimes referred to as the Dude of Minnesota.  Reposting of this tweet is for entertainment purposes only, while we are waiting on the UT/OU/Big 12 negotiations and for Marshall to get off the pot.  "BTM" is his anonymous "Big Ten Man" who gives him scoops.  Of what, well I'll let you decide.  Think its something I scoop out of my cat's box.

"...Any Big Ten expansion is a 100 year decision. There is no Texas School available today or 10 years from now which would match Big Ten universities mission. Why would Big Ten Presidents pull trigger? What Texas school among TCU, Texas Tech & Houston. Detailed info next week.

Q0TM1k_g_normal.jpg

Heads Up: Next week more detailed info from BTM The Source on narrow but open pathway of Big Ten expansion happening during or right after next B1G negotiations. Schools involved would be Kansas + 1 Texas school. Media partner (FOX) interested in PAC & B1G entry into Texas...."

Now we understand the delay on announcing Southern Miss to Sun Belt.  They were waiting for Tuesday!

pBCHVlJX_normal.png

Sun Belt & Southern Miss will hold joint press conference Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. CT on campus of USM to announce Golden Eagles move to the Sun Belt
Quote Tweet

pBCHVlJX_mini.png

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy
· Oct 22
.@SunBelt officially added Southern Miss from C-USA on Friday, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. ODU, Marshall & JMU also expected to join Sun Belt, but haven't formally applied for membership. Liberty no longer interested in C-USA, now down to 5 schools https://actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/southern-miss-joins-sun-belt-other-conference-usa-schools-expected-to-join-soon?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

On 10/22/2021 at 3:04 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I know the WAC has ideas, but for G5 their attendance is terrible. Sam Houston is playing great football and just won a title and they still draw half as many fans as a bad Texas State team or a terrible UNT team. 

Per Game 2021-

SMU (7-0): 24,673

Rice (2-4): 20,203

UTSA (7-0): 20,025 

Texas State (2-4): 18,497

UNT (1-5): 16,523

UTEP (6-1): 14,779

Sam Houston State (6-0): 8,782

Abilene Christian (4-3): 8,465

SFA (3-3): 8,097

Tarleton (3-3): 8,094

Dixie State (0-6): 6,114

Lamar (2-4): 5,628

None of them belong in FBS especially compared to the other rumored move ups from FCS

Montana (4-2): 24,644

James Madison (5-1): 23,124

On 10/22/2021 at 3:27 PM, Hook1997 said:

Did no one learn anything from Texas State at all?  SHSU you just won a Championship wasn’t to jump to FBS and never come close to competing in any sport for anything ever again?!?!  I know money and all but do we really want or need  Tarleton, SFA, SHSU, Lamar, ect in FBS.   Dumb move by those schools. 

Yeah, given those attendance numbers and the size of those schools they'll be horrible additions to FBS especially considering their locations and schools they would have to compete with for recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:40 AM, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah aggy thinks getting more teams in DI/FBS will somehow get them 50% of the PUF.  They are trying to pump up their system schools athletics but they aren't doing anything to increase their academics.  It’s so backwards and sad.

My wife has her masters from Tarleton. That place is a shitshow.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:26 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

DII is a hard place to make a living. You fund scholarships but get high school size crowds playing high school ticket prices. TV money is marginal.  

That’s why FCS is so attractive. As fans we roll our eyes at the payday games but those matchups change the entire finances of the AD. It’s no exaggeration to say they keep lots of programs afloat. And if you can manage to sneak into the tournament like ACU or Sam or Stephen F. every now and again you get the type of payday and exposure that can improve the entire school. 

Sam sneaked into the championship game three of the last ten years.

https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2021/10/26/football-southern-miss-joins-sun-belt-conference.aspx

"The Sun Belt Conference announced on Tuesday the addition of The University of Southern Mississippi into the league after a unanimous vote of the Sun Belt CEOs. Southern Miss will become members no later than July 1, 2023...."

So it seems that everyone is still thinking about the possibility that everyone moves in 2022 and only Bowlsby is talking about anything beyond 2023.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:55 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

A “Texas A&M-Coastal Bend” makes a lot of sense for the system, the region, and taxpayers but I have a real soft spot for the history and attitude of A&I/TAMUK and would hate to see it fold. Honestly, combining the schools, reviving the A&I name but making Corpus the hub would be the compromise I’d vote for. I don’t think the Islanders have accomplished anything of note but the Javelina brand is old-school legendary. 

I didn’t like the Broncs going away or the Pan-American name change, I thought that they should have just folded UTB into the system and left it at that. Lots of people loved and cared about the Broncs and had a connection but approximately no one cared about the Ocelots. (I had to look up their mascot and I lived in the Valley for 22 years). 

Would be nice to see a stadium in Corpus and moving to FCS. CCISD could use it too since I think they only have a few stadiums that the high schools share. I wonder if it would fit on the island or if they'd want a more central location. It would make a ton of sense to have it in the larger population area. I know many in Kingsville would hate it, but it makes too much sense. 

Still waiting on Marshall, but Old Dominion apparently closed the deal with the Sun Belt on Tuesday.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/old-dominion-southern-miss-join-sun-belt-marshall-jmu-expected-to-join-soon?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

ODU joins Sun Belt.  Marshall and James Madison are expected in the next couple of weeks.

"Old Dominion became the second Conference USA school to officially join the Sun Belt on Tuesday, sources told The Action Network, with the expectation two more schools will also soon join the conference.

On Friday, The Action Network reported Southern Miss had officially been added to the Sun Belt. USM held a press conference Tuesday, formally announcing its move to the Sun Belt.

Old Dominion, which transitioned from FCS to FBS in 2013, has been a Conference USA member since 2014. The Monarchs’ best season came in 2016 — a 10-3 season and the school’s only bowl appearance, a 24-20 victory over Eastern Michigan in the Bahamas Bowl.

ODU is expected to formally announce the move with a Thursday news conference, sources said....

The addition of USM, ODU, JMU and Marshall will give the Sun Belt a 14-team football league in 2023.

East Division member Troy is expected to move to the West Division, along with Southern Miss. The remaining West Division schools are Arkansas State, Louisiana, South Alabama, Texas State and UL Monroe.

New members Marshall, Old Dominion and James Madison will compete in the East Division with Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State and Georgia Southern.

Last year, the Sun Belt was the only Group of Five league that finished with two football teams ranked in the top 15 of the final Associated Press poll.

Non-football playing Sun Belt members Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas-Arlington will no longer be league members by the 2023 season, sources said...."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

Would be nice to see a stadium in Corpus and moving to FCS. CCISD could use it too since I think they only have a few stadiums that the high schools share. I wonder if it would fit on the island or if they'd want a more central location. It would make a ton of sense to have it in the larger population area. I know many in Kingsville would hate it, but it makes too much sense. 

I see no chance in hell that the football would be moved to Corpus......the Island campus space would not allow for a stajium and it would be stupid to alienate the Kingsville people by moving football to Corpus and then in addition not actually having the stajium anywhere near the students

the academic aspect of that merger would make a ton of sense, but sharp was too big of an idiot to pull it off.....well because he is just a first class asshole

true a lot of "my area" idiots in the valley got in the way as well, but they can't be worse than the deep valley people were to deal with for The UT System, but of course the UT System had a medical school to bribe them with and leadership that was light years better

On 10/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, SimonBolivar said:

UNT is slightly bigger, but they're on the upswing with the medical school and law school opening as well as the branch in Dallas. Texas State seems happy with the school staying a floating party school which is perfect for them, but UNT has more potential. As far as being #2 in DFW instead of expanding to Austin that isn't an issue with SMU hardly being DFW's top team and the population of 8M in the CSA is plenty compared to Austin's 2M.

north Texas state does not have a medical school the medical school is a separate institution from the Denton campus and they want nothing to do with any merger to the main campus

their law school is also not a part of the Denton campus it was to be under the dallas campus, but the dallas campus started to have questionable accreditation so the law school is a "system" component sort of like Hastings Law....well except it is nowhere near a top law school it is a provisionally accredited pile of stinking shit that was never needed and was a massive waste of money and that might actually fail to ever be accredited

the dallas campus is also a failed pile of shit that was supported by dallas politicians as an economic development engine (it has failed massively at that) and all it does now is suck up system bonding capacity (at the expense of Denton) as they build unneeded buildings and then lease them for cheap to DCCCD

the law school and dallas campus were both a total theft of state higher education dollars by shit bag dallas politicians

7 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I see no chance in hell that the football would be moved to Corpus......the Island campus space would not allow for a stajium and it would be stupid to alienate the Kingsville people by moving football to Corpus and then in addition not actually having the stajium anywhere near the students

the academic aspect of that merger would make a ton of sense, but sharp was too big of an idiot to pull it off.....well because he is just a first class asshole

true a lot of "my area" idiots in the valley got in the way as well, but they can't be worse than the deep valley people were to deal with for The UT System, but of course the UT System had a medical school to bribe them with and leadership that was light years better

north Texas state does not have a medical school the medical school is a separate institution from the Denton campus and they want nothing to do with any merger to the main campus

their law school is also not a part of the Denton campus it was to be under the dallas campus, but the dallas campus started to have questionable accreditation so the law school is a "system" component sort of like Hastings Law....well except it is nowhere near a top law school it is a provisionally accredited pile of stinking shit that was never needed and was a massive waste of money and that might actually fail to ever be accredited

the dallas campus is also a failed pile of shit that was supported by dallas politicians as an economic development engine (it has failed massively at that) and all it does now is suck up system bonding capacity (at the expense of Denton) as they build unneeded buildings and then lease them for cheap to DCCCD

the law school and dallas campus were both a total theft of state higher education dollars by shit bag dallas politicians

In regards to Kingsville,  they no longer have the pull locally like they once had a few decades ago.   When the aggy system caved to Carlos Truan and changed the name, it ticked off a bunch of donors. In fact some with very deep pockets  and  they never really been able to bring them back.   The Alumni base who graduated since the name change hasn’t been really engaged .  I think partly due to the fact for at least a decade after the name change, the school had an identity crisis and took a backseat in the aggy system south of SA because they were pumping a lot of money and resources into their campuses in Laredo and Corpus.  They really didn’t start re addressing needs in Kingsville until maybe 15 years ago.  And sadly the football program was not one of them and it shows today.

When Sharp tried the merger the first time around, he slanted it more towards the Kingsville campus than Corpus, thus the support was lukewarm at best in Corpus although they would have benefited with new degree programs in the  medical and engineering fields.    I would bet the next time he tries it, it will be slanted more towards Corpus . In regards to sports, there are plans to build an arena on campus.   A football stadium could not be located on campus, but there is plenty of land within a three or four miles that could accommodate it.   But the only way this occurs is with the merger 

On 10/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I've always heard that Sul Ross is about 5 minutes away from shutting down D3 athletics. No idea how they'd fund scholarships at D2.

Having watched one of their games a couple of seasons ago, I’m convinced a number of Texas powerhouse high school programs could beat them on any given night.   They looked more like a club football team.   It’s a shame because while Sul Ross is waaaayyy out in the sticks, the area is kind of cool and should be attractive to the Texas kid who grew up in a small or medium sized town in Texas.  But all of your football programs in they want to be competitive have to draw kids from the suburban and urban schools and Sul Ross does  not cut it ..  There isn’t a Starbucks in Alpine for the hipsters to hangout at nor the club scene.    

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Having watched one of their games a couple of seasons ago, I’m convinced a number of Texas powerhouse high school programs could beat them on any given night.   They looked more like a club football team.   It’s a shame because while Sul Ross is waaaayyy out in the sticks, the area is kind of cool and should be attractive to the Texas kid who grew up in a small or medium sized town in Texas.  But all of your football programs in they want to be competitive have to draw kids from the suburban and urban schools and Sul Ross does  not cut it ..  There isn’t a Starbucks in Alpine for the hipsters to hangout at nor the club scene.    

the best thing that could happen to Sul Ross is that it joins the Texas Tech System

they were looking to do so about 5 years ago, but that dies pretty quickly when the administration did not step right up to support the locals that were pushing it

Tech has done very well with Angelo State to the point that was used as a selling point for Midwestern supporters that had concerns about merging into the Tech System (done deal now).....those proposing that merger pointed to the growth in students and programs at Angelo and lower bonding cost and administrative cost for Angelo being in the Tech System as a major reason to do it

Sul Ross would be great for Tech to do a "blinn team" type setup or a UT CAPS type deal if Tech was to increase their admissions standards in the future

Tech, Angelo, and Midwestern could also start offering programs at the Rio Grande Campuses in Uvalde, Del Rio, and Eagle Pass and let the main campus concentrate on being a 4 year school.....I think Tech could get Sul Ross a full BSN nursing program and Sul Ross would offer some unique summer learning opportunities for Tech, Angelo, and Midwestern students

the issue is the Texas Tech System does not have anything to offer the Texas State University System to appease them for losing yet another member.....I think there are things that could happen there, but it would take a lot of effort and piss off UH, but at this point UH deserves it

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the best thing that could happen to Sul Ross is that it joins the Texas Tech System

they were looking to do so about 5 years ago, but that dies pretty quickly when the administration did not step right up to support the locals that were pushing it

Tech has done very well with Angelo State to the point that was used as a selling point for Midwestern supporters that had concerns about merging into the Tech System (done deal now).....those proposing that merger pointed to the growth in students and programs at Angelo and lower bonding cost and administrative cost for Angelo being in the Tech System as a major reason to do it

Sul Ross would be great for Tech to do a "blinn team" type setup or a UT CAPS type deal if Tech was to increase their admissions standards in the future

Tech, Angelo, and Midwestern could also start offering programs at the Rio Grande Campuses in Uvalde, Del Rio, and Eagle Pass and let the main campus concentrate on being a 4 year school.....I think Tech could get Sul Ross a full BSN nursing program and Sul Ross would offer some unique summer learning opportunities for Tech, Angelo, and Midwestern students

the issue is the Texas Tech System does not have anything to offer the Texas State University System to appease them for losing yet another member.....I think there are things that could happen there, but it would take a lot of effort and piss off UH, but at this point UH deserves it

Agreed....  They would be a good fit out there.    Kind of wish Tech could take on Kingsville, but aggy isn't going to give that up with the King Ranch connection that it still has.  Collie Station does use TAMUK to collaborate with their Ag and Ranching programs which is a strength at TAMUK and the King Ranch has put a lot of money and resources into that program since it's inception which pretty much goes back to the establishment of the school.   They also have the Pharmacy school down there which operated under the system and not TAMUK along with a world renowned petro engineering program.   But it would give Tech a presence in South Texas with UT having campuses in the RGV,  the U of H in Victoria, and A&M in Corpus and Laredo.  

29 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Agreed....  They would be a good fit out there.    Kind of wish Tech could take on Kingsville, but aggy isn't going to give that up with the King Ranch connection that it still has.  Collie Station does use TAMUK to collaborate with their Ag and Ranching programs which is a strength at TAMUK and the King Ranch has put a lot of money and resources into that program since it's inception which pretty much goes back to the establishment of the school.   They also have the Pharmacy school down there which operated under the system and not TAMUK along with a world renowned petro engineering program.   But it would give Tech a presence in South Texas with UT having campuses in the RGV,  the U of H in Victoria, and A&M in Corpus and Laredo.  

When the Kleberg money first hit the TAMUK wildlife program A&M was actually funneling resources into it even out of college station then suddenly they reversed that (about the time not-so-sharp came in or just before) then the system tried to make the natural gas engineering program into graduate only (during the Eagle Ford boom no less) and the people in that area finally stood up to the system and said bullshit

they flat got fucked on the pharmmacy program, but lerma, erma, merma, worma rangle wanted her name on something so badly and so did her cult of followers that they were willing to screw the Kingsville campus just to get the program down there and have a pharmacy program in the area.....they probably stupidly thought they could eventually fight the system and get it placed into the campus, but then not-so-sharp pulled all of the aggy system health components state wide under college station and that is now not going to probably ever happen for Kingsville

you deal with idiots and you get stupidity.....the biggest joke is the aggy health science components were really not research powerhouses AT ALL and added next to nothing to their overall research numbers, but putting the college station campus first and at the expense of all the others is what it is all about now.....quite the opposite of the UT System especially over the last 2 decades or so when a lot of stuff has happened for UT System members at the expense of PUF "excellence" money for Austin 

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the Tech system is stupid and should be dismantled.  We don't need another set of aggys doing things to benefit their school and hamper the state.  We already have aggy and cougar.

9 minutes ago, bullet said:

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/10/old-dominion-latest-school-to-officially-join-sun-belt-conference.html

Old Dominion announces move to Sun Belt.

Can't imagine ODU would leave unless they knew Marshall was going as well, so Marshall must be a done deal.

Ironically, three of those schools — FIU, MTSU and Western Kentucky — left the Sun Belt for CUSA less than a decade ago.

Lol. Realignment has become so absolutely fucking ridiculous. It's completely jumped the shark. We need a comprehensive college athletics summit to get this dumbass piecemeal shit under control.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, bullet said:

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/10/old-dominion-latest-school-to-officially-join-sun-belt-conference.html

Old Dominion announces move to Sun Belt.

Can't imagine ODU would leave unless they knew Marshall was going as well, so Marshall must be a done deal.

Need to land the Fightn McGirts of ODB

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol. Realignment has become so absolutely fucking ridiculous. It's completely jumped the shark. We need a comprehensive college athletics summit to get this dumbass piecemeal shit under control.

This whole Sun Belt/CUSA bit seems to be driven by ego and ESPN.  CUSA is not an ESPN product.  Sun Belt is.  Sun Belt is ticked that FIU, WKU, MTSU along with UNT and FAU left them in 2012 and that La Tech would never have anything to do with them.  So they are adding the current bottom two teams in CUSA along with an FCS school and Marshall.

Reminds me of how the "alliance" is trying to slow down CFP expansion even though it benefits them more than the SEC simply because they are ticked at the SEC.

8 minutes ago, bullet said:

This whole Sun Belt/CUSA bit seems to be driven by ego and ESPN.  CUSA is not an ESPN product.  Sun Belt is.  Sun Belt is ticked that FIU, WKU, MTSU along with UNT and FAU left them in 2012 and that La Tech would never have anything to do with them.  So they are adding the current bottom two teams in CUSA along with an FCS school and Marshall.

Bottom teams is very misleading, they are taking the remaining jewels of CUSA as both of these were considered AAC candidates along with LA Tech and FIU.

Southern Miss is the only charter members remaining in CUSA (everyone else has moved up) and is smack dab in the middle of the Sun Belt with nearly half the schools within driving distance.

Marshall is the only remaining CUSA member from the 2005 expansion other than UTEP.

These schools are valuable and have lots of history that the Sun Belt needs to bring attention to their league.

ODU and JMU were added in order to get Marshall who wanted more members in the East.

These we’re great adds for the Sun Belt.  Other than swapping UL-Monroe for LA Tech, I’m not sure who else you’d swap with existing CUSA teams UTEP, WKU, MTSU, FIU.  Maybe Texas State for FIU?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So any traction on WKU and MTSU to the MAC? Or are they going to keep promoting FCS schools that can't afford to compete?

It’s been rumored.  

The MAC wanted WKU a long while and would love to get Marshall back but with ODU already voted into the Sun Belt I think that ship has sailed.

https://www.westernherald.com/opinion/article_e6569d56-335d-11ec-b46f-4bcb39f3fa9d.html

Not so sure about MTSU (doesn’t help that they have been bad to average since joining CUSA) but they might make a good enough travel partner for WKU.

I saw a message board rumor that the MAC might be considering taking WKU and Eastern Kentucky (currently FCS) but it wasn’t from any official source.

8 hours ago, bullet said:

the Tech system is stupid and should be dismantled.  We don't need another set of aggys doing things to benefit their school and hamper the state.  We already have aggy and cougar.

The Tech System is the system that does the most of their system schools besides the UT System (the UT System having a much larger pool of resources to do it with) and The Tech System is the one that makes moves that mostly make sense and that go to areas that benefit from things and that does things that are successful

The vet school is under the main campus, but it is located in Amarillo because that is where the most feed lots are and that is the area that came up with the cash to make it happen

The Tech System had no issue placing the dental school in El Paso again because that is the area that made it happen and The Tech System had no issue making the El Paso Medical School independent of the Lubbock Medical School because the benefits were there and the local support would be better

The Tech System also has not merged the medical school under the main campus even though that would make the main campus look better because the results of that would be a net loss in state funding because medical schools are funded differently than 4 year schools.....I would imagine with Austin, RGV, the aggy merger to the main campus, UH getting a med school and SHSU trying to get a D.O. program that funding mechanism might change in the future....then the UT System will probably merge UTSAHSC under UTSA as well

the aggy system followed closely by the UH System are the ones that do the most to screw system members for the benefit of the main campus.....the north Texas state has the opposite issue now that dick heads from dallas proper have control of the system they suck up resources from Denton to do unneeded shit projects in dallas proper

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

The Tech System is the system that does the most of their system schools besides the UT System (the UT System having a much larger pool of resources to do it with) and The Tech System is the one that makes moves that mostly make sense and that go to areas that benefit from things and that does things that are successful

The vet school is under the main campus, but it is located in Amarillo because that is where the most feed lots are and that is the area that came up with the cash to make it happen

The Tech System had no issue placing the dental school in El Paso again because that is the area that made it happen and The Tech System had no issue making the El Paso Medical School independent of the Lubbock Medical School because the benefits were there and the local support would be better

The Tech System also has not merged the medical school under the main campus even though that would make the main campus look better because the results of that would be a net loss in state funding because medical schools are funded differently than 4 year schools.....I would imagine with Austin, RGV, the aggy merger to the main campus, UH getting a med school and SHSU trying to get a D.O. program that funding mechanism might change in the future....then the UT System will probably merge UTSAHSC under UTSA as well

the aggy system followed closely by the UH System are the ones that do the most to screw system members for the benefit of the main campus.....the north Texas state has the opposite issue now that dick heads from dallas proper have control of the system they suck up resources from Denton to do unneeded shit projects in dallas proper

Its not just that.  Its things like UH fighting the UT research campus in Houston that would have been of great benefit to Houston.  Its like aggy and UH medical schools when we already have UT Health Science Center in Houston and UTMB in Galveston along with independent Baylor College of Medicine.  Or UNT trying to start a medical school.  Aggy starting a campus in San Antonio.  If Tech got more than just Angelo St., it would be more turf protection instead of serving the state.

System expansion never goes away.  UNT, Tech and UH systems need to be dissolved.  With aggy its too late.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:59 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Looking at those figures the one that jumps out at me is ACU. That’s not a big number but if you look at it in terms of enrollment to attendance (4,500/8,500) it’s really damn good and similar to what P5 state schools pull. Probably helps to be in football crazy West Texas and a long-ass drive to any P5 game. 

Of course jumping to FBS is ludicrous but the move to D1 has probably paid off. Way more fun to be a Cinderella in big March Madness and the payoff is huge. 

My family has a lot of connections to ACU.  They are serious about spending money on athletics.  They also have some big donors and some major money about to head their way in the next few years.  Not sure they will ever be anything but cannon fodder in the FBS, but they are trying.  They feel stuff like making the NCAA tourney is invaluable marketing.

24 minutes ago, bullet said:

Its not just that.  Its things like UH fighting the UT research campus in Houston that would have been of great benefit to Houston.  Its like aggy and UH medical schools when we already have UT Health Science Center in Houston and UTMB in Galveston along with independent Baylor College of Medicine.  Or UNT trying to start a medical school.  Aggy starting a campus in San Antonio.  If Tech got more than just Angelo St., it would be more turf protection instead of serving the state.

System expansion never goes away.  UNT, Tech and UH systems need to be dissolved.  With aggy its too late.

How a small government state allowed for 7 university systems to emerge including 3 based out of regional areas (West Texas, Houston, DFW) instead of solidifying and supporting consolidation where we’d limit unnecessary bureaucratic bloat/waste and have less squabbling over funding/appropriations is mind bottling.  UT, aggy, and TX State and call it a day.

UT has a university in El Paso with no medical school, and a medical school in Houston with no university.

Tech has a medical school in El Paso but no university, and Houston has a university but no medical school.

Both Tech and UH want PUF money.

My 5 year old could propose the obvious solution.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, bullet said:

these are not similar comparisons

1. it can easily be argued that the UH medical school is not needed with 2 already in Houston and 1 already on Galveston.....not to mention SHSU not needing a D.O. school in Montgomery County

2. UH was stupid and even more stupid was the politicians in Houston that fought the UT research campus......that was just jackasses being jackasses

3. the north Texas state medical school is really Fort Worth wanting a MD program, but the north Texas state system is too weak and too controlled by dallas (city proper) politicians to make it happen......plus by legislative statute TCOM is prohibited from offering a MD degree......so it is actually TCU that offers the MD degree and the "theory" (it is bullshit) is that those MD students can just sit in on the early year classes at the DO school and then there will only be an expense of offering the later year MD classes to make that degree happen

the issue of course is that you cannot just over fill first year and second year MD classes with a mass number of students like a large university entry level class with 250 students......that is not allowed......it is the same bullshit the north Texas state system did with their shitty law school they talked about how "cheap" it would be and how much money the shitty of dallas would kick in.....then once it got going the shitty of dallas welshed on their money and the  expenses started rolling in to The State of Texas based on "well we have already started going down the path to opening a shitty unneeded law school we can't stop no"

4. the aggy-sa campus was actually needed until it was started San Antonio only had a single 4 year school (UTSA) and thus UTSA had to be practically open enrollment....SA had a strong community college system, but they needed a new "catch all" 4 year university so that UTSA could finally fulfill their mission to be a high quality research university 

all of the things you mentioned are legit stupidity and a waste with the exception of aggy-sa.....but with Texas Tech they did not actually "expand" anything Angelo was already a fully functioning 4 year school and so was Midwestern.......Tech and The State of Texas did not incur any expense or spend any new money to move those schools from the Texas State System (Angelo) or from being an independent university (Midwestern) and in fact it has saved Texas money with lower bonding cost for those schools, increased enrollment (more efficiency), and lower administrative cost at Angelo which has kept their tuition lower

Tech absorbing those 2 universities was not a case of them opening new institutions or major expensive programs at great cost to The State of Texas it was simply those schools deciding they could operate more efficiently and for a lower cost and have more strength with the legislature as a part of the Tech System instead of in their former system or as an independent

5 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

How a small government state allowed for 7 university systems to emerge including 3 based out of regional areas (West Texas, Houston, DFW) instead of solidifying and supporting consolidation where we’d limit unnecessary bureaucratic bloat/waste and have less squabbling over funding/appropriations is mind bottling.  UT, aggy, and TX State and call it a day.

UT has a university in El Paso with no medical school, and a medical school in Houston with no university.

Tech has a medical school in El Paso but no university, and Houston has a university but no medical school.

Both Tech and UH want PUF money.

My 5 year old could propose the obvious solution.

Yes.  Obvious solutions.

5 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

1. it can easily be argued that the UH medical school is not needed with 2 already in Houston and 1 already on Galveston.....not to mention SHSU not needing a D.O. school in Montgomery County

2. UH was stupid and even more stupid was the politicians in Houston that fought the UT research campus......that was just jackasses being jackasses

3. the north Texas state medical school is really Fort Worth wanting a MD program, but the north Texas state system is too weak and too controlled by dallas (city proper) politicians to make it happen......plus by legislative statute TCOM is prohibited from offering a MD degree......so it is actually TCU that offers the MD degree and the "theory" (it is bullshit) is that those MD students can just sit in on the early year classes at the DO school and then there will only be an expense of offering the later year MD classes to make that degree happen

the issue of course is that you cannot just over fill first year and second year MD classes with a mass number of students like a large university entry level class with 250 students......that is not allowed......it is the same bullshit the north Texas state system did with their shitty law school they talked about how "cheap" it would be and how much money the shitty of dallas would kick in.....then once it got going the shitty of dallas welshed on their money and the  expenses started rolling in to The State of Texas based on "well we have already started going down the path to opening a shitty unneeded law school we can't stop no"

4. the aggy-sa campus was actually needed until it was started San Antonio only had a single 4 year school (UTSA) and thus UTSA had to be practically open enrollment....SA had a strong community college system, but they needed a new "catch all" 4 year university so that UTSA could finally fulfill their mission to be a high quality research university 

all of the things you mentioned are legit stupidity and a waste with the exception of aggy-sa.....but with Texas Tech they did not actually "expand" anything Angelo was already a fully functioning 4 year school and so was Midwestern.......Tech and The State of Texas did not incur any expense or spend any new money to move those schools from the Texas State System (Angelo) or from being an independent university (Midwestern) and in fact it has saved Texas money with lower bonding cost for those schools, increased enrollment (more efficiency), and lower administrative cost at Angelo which has kept their tuition lower

Tech absorbing those 2 universities was not a case of them opening new institutions or major expensive programs at great cost to The State of Texas it was simply those schools deciding they could operate more efficiently and for a lower cost and have more strength with the legislature as a part of the Tech System instead of in their former system or as an independent

Those two should be in the Texas state university system and the waste of a Texas Tech system go away.

As for A&M-SA, SAC was fine for open admission.  Texas St. is 50 miles right down the interstate, only 10 miles further than Denton is from Dallas.  No need for an A&M component in San Antonio.  

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

Those two should be in the Texas state university system and the waste of a Texas Tech system go away.

As for A&M-SA, SAC was fine for open admission.  Texas St. is 50 miles right down the interstate, only 10 miles further than Denton is from Dallas.  No need for an A&M component in San Antonio.  

at the time (and as of now) Texas State has higher admissions standards than UTSA

if you look at standard thinking across the USA most major cities have at least one major public research university and one public catch all university

same thinking also says major cities will have a 4 year university that caters to stay at home and non-traditional students.......for 75% of the SA population that would fit into one of those driving past UTSA all the way to Texas State as a commuter would never work or make sense time wise or financially

I suppose something could be done with getting those students into the 4 small private schools in SA, but governments (even in Texas) are loath to do that all the more so with religious schools that still place some emphasis on the religion aspect

if you were going to kill a system the north Texas state system and the UH System would be easy to merge as a "metro system" and that cuts two down to one, but that pits Houston against dallas and UH is busy keeping system components down while dallas is busy fucking over Denton

Tech at least has never built stuff that was not needed including stupid "system centers" and Tech killed off one of the 4 free standing universities leaving TSU, TWU and SFA as the three now

what Houston really needs to do is kill off TSU, give some of the land to UH, sell the rest off to developers, merge UHD and TSU on the TSU campus ten strip that, UHV, and UHCL from the UH System and place them in the Texas State System while Sul Ross moves to the Tech System

that would kill off one independent university (TSU), but replace it with UH that would now not be a system and be only the main campus, but it would allow UHCL to finally move to be a lot more like UTD vs the nothingness that the UH System has kept it being and allow UHV to not get further fucked by the UH System (they almost left the UH System, but aggy did not want them neither did anyone else, but I am not sure they ask the Texas State System)

TSU and UHD are both shit as far as graduation rates and any other metric of quality or contribution, but at least merging them and placing them in a better system would get it out of the UH System (UHD) and out of being independent and corrupt as fuck (TSU)....change the name to Houston Metropolitan University

https://theathletic.com/news/conference-usa-in-negotiations-with-new-mexico-state-liberty-uconn-source/aLlHui68hjCp/

CUSA stayin' alive--or trying to--by talking to NMSU, Liberty and UConn (fb only) as members.  That would bring them to 8 assuming Marshall leaves.  No mention of UMass.

They need 8 full members, so they would need 1 FBS.

Of course if MAC takes one or two, this falls apart.

7 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Not going to get rid of TSU.  But moving their law school and pharmacy college to Prairie View (which already has nursing school in Houston) would be good for Prairie View and those schools.

UNT system dissolves.  UNT-Dallas a satellite campus and stick in Texas State University System.  UH system dissolves.  UHCLC merged into UH which becomes part of UT system.  UH-Victoria becomes Victoria State and UH Downtown Houston State and both join Texas State University system.  Send Angelo and Midwestern to Texas State University system along with W. Texas A&M, merge all the rest of Tech components and make it part of A&M system.  Both UH and Tech get some access to PUF money.

System realignment talk....

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Good point.  By contrast, "big government" California has the following higher education arrangement:

1) U. of California System (includes 6 schools in the US News top 50 national universities)

2) Cal State system (San Diego, San Jose, Sacramento, Long Beach, Fresno etc.)

3) Community Colleges

The 7 public university systems in Texas account for ONE school in the US News top 50 (UT-Austin, of course)

45 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

pBCHVlJX_normal.png

Note McMurphy's following tweet on Marshall:
·
1h

Marshall has officially joined Sun Belt, sources told . Marshall becomes 9th C-USA school to leave & 3rd to move to Sun Belt. 1st reported by Athletic. FCS member James Madison expected move to Sun Belt will make it a 14-team league

pBCHVlJX_normal.png

NCAA announces USF failed to monitor football program under Charlie Strong. USF gets 3-years probation, fined $10,000 plus Strong gets 1-game suspension if he returns to college

Not going to get rid of TSU.  But moving their law school and pharmacy college to Prairie View (which already has nursing school in Houston) would be good for Prairie View and those schools.
UNT system dissolves.  UNT-Dallas a satellite campus and stick in Texas State University System.  UH system dissolves.  UHCLC merged into UH which becomes part of UT system.  UH-Victoria becomes Victoria State and UH Downtown Houston State and both join Texas State University system.  Send Angelo and Midwestern to Texas State University system along with W. Texas A&M, merge all the rest of Tech components and make it part of A&M system.  Both UH and Tech get some access to PUF money.
System realignment talk....

You Mensas know a shit ton about second tier Texas university systems. How about you move that to a new thread and let us talk about conference realignment here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

You Mensas know a shit ton about second tier Texas university systems. How about you move that to a new thread and let us talk about conference realignment here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well since I've posted about half the direct realignment posts over the past week and you have, how many?  None?  So how about you post less meaningless drivel?

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Sources: The MAC is exploring potential expansion. School officials are expected to discuss expansion in the upcoming days. Among those expected to be discussed are Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Replying to
Nothing is imminent about this at this time. A full discussion needs to take place before any action, and there’s no urgency to expand.

Thamel updates--CUSA is getting closer to CDOA and the G5 to the G4.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Sources: The potential for Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee joining the MAC is coming into focus. There are separate calls scheduled with the MAC ADs and MAC presidents tomorrow in which the potential additions will be discussed, which will be a key part of the process.

Brett joins in.  Its moving quick.  Remember when Clemson/FSU dragged on for what seemed like years?

MAC “likely” to add Western Kentucky & Middle Tennessee, perhaps by end of week, pending approval by MAC presidents, sources told . If so, C-USA will have lost 11 of 14 members w/only FIU, Louisiana Tech & UTEP remaining #MACtion

LA Tech was never on the “short” list. Neither was Marshall. Those teams can crow all they want about supposed potential invites, but the criteria the AAC was looking for has been well known for a long time and neither school was high on that list. 

UNT hired media consultants to start on this almost 3 years ago. Even then they had a solid grasp of exactly what the AAC (and ESPN) was looking for. The real timeline was probably sped up to now vs 2025 with UT and OU moving kicking off this wave of realignment, but the manner in which schools were going to measured by has not changed.

Now going from having a conference to most likely being an independent is an unheard of happenstance, but it is not like LA Tech was destined to keep ascending the proverbial conference ladder.

They have way too many things holding them back to be viable long term. Unfortunately they can’t change where they are (both in a saturated small state with poor finances and being very rural with limited close by population and business base) and that was always going to limit them to the SB, MAC, etc with the CUSA being a high water mark.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/college/2021/11/01/western-kentucky-middle-tennessee-state-expected-join-mac/stories/20211101139

And another article saying their CUSA high water mark will get washed away:

"...Athletic directors from the MAC discussed adding the two schools during a lengthy call Monday. There was universal agreement from the 12 ADs that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State should be extended invitations. MAC presidents, which meet on Monday evening, have the ultimate say in the addition of new member institutions, though it is thought to be a formality, one source said.

The expectation is that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State would begin play in the MAC in 2023.

Their inclusion could be a death knell for Conference USA, which has already lost nine of its 14 schools in recent weeks to the American Athletic Conference and Sun Belt. Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State would become the 19th and 20th schools to change conferences since Texas and Oklahoma sparked a high stakes game of musical chairs by leaving the Big 12 for the SEC...."

Article does make the comment that finances will be the final decision point, so ESPN has to give its blessing.