Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

On 9/26/2021 at 12:55 PM, TKthunder2 said:

The Southland would want basically all the Lone Star Conference Texas football schools.  In football, they are down to 6 with the 4 Louisiana schools, Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word.  Commerce brings them to 7.  Taking West TAMU, UTPB, Angelo St, Midwestern St, and TAMU-K would get them to 12 football, 14 all sports members.  But with the exception of Kingsville, the rest of the fb teams are in a pretty solid geographic footprint spanning from New Mexico, through West Texas to Oklahoma so I could see their hesitation to upgrade to spend move of facilities and travel.  When they have multiple NAIA/DIII upgrade candidates within that footprint that could backfill with.

TAMUK is way behind with facilities compared to their fellow LSC members and new the  WAC or soon to be SLC members who were in the LSC recently.   The football stadium  and basketball field house probably need a total replacement. There are a few Class 3A school districts in Texas that have better athletic facilities right now   Leadership is pathetically weak down there 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:24 PM, TKthunder2 said:

I’ve heard rumors but didn’t know the specifics.  5 years back Sharp tried to merge Kingsville into TAMUCC but I didn’t hear the reasons why.

It will come back.   But this time he’ll fix it to benefit Corpus Christi more than Kingsvllle.   The last time they tried, the local State Rep (JM Lozano)  who represents a significant chunk of the Coastal Bend (but not Corpus) screwed Kingsville’s chance to benefit with the merger compared to the original plan.  He basically called John Sharp a liar and fraud in a public forum and I want to think he’s a UT Grad too. Lol!   For example the plan had the athletic departments merging and keeping the Javelina name with a 25k seat stadium to be built in Kingsville and Baseball taking over the hardly used Fairgrounds baseball complex in Robstown.  Other sports would’ve remained in Corpus.  TAMUK probably saw their program die right then and there because when this get put back on track, Corpus will get all the sports including the new facilities built somewhere close to the university.   I can guarantee Sharp is going to hold this against Lozano and he already has seen put due to the fact the current university Presidents who Sharp installed down there has the personality of a light pole.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 9/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, Not a Sock said:

Basically TAMUK's bread and butter was getting kids from the Valley who wanted to stay close to home. The only programs that actually attracted kids where the Ranching and Wildlife and Engineering and specifically their natural gas program. UTRGV has decimated the enrollment of kids from the Valley, not a whole lot of people want to get into O&G engineering now and Sharp has made it to so that all pretty much all TDA and Agrilife research funding get funneled to College Station. Basically there is very little reason to pick TAMUK over TAMCC, UTRGV, if you want to stay in South Texas. That and Kingsville is an absolute fucking shithole. 

For athletics and in particular football, they had a huge foot print when I was down there (early 90’s).  Houston, San Antonio up to Central Texas and the Texas Jucos were the main recruiting areas.   What has hurt the program the most the last 10 years is the fact UTSA, UIW started programs and others like Sam Houston, Tarleton , Commerce , WTAM, Angelo , ACU, etc have improved their facilities where back in my day everyone was pretty equal.   This was pre bling era and now TAMUKs stadium looks  like an old large city ISD football stadium and the field house is not far behind.    Many of these kids they try to recruit are playing and training facilities that are light years ahead of hat Kingsville offers.    It’s a significant downgrade for those kids.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat

18 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Am I misremembering, or wasn't Army in the American for a while? Or maybe that was C-USA? I just have a weird memory of them and Tulsa being in the same conference for a while, lol. 

EDIT - just looked it up. Army was in C-USA from 1998-2004. Tulsa joined C-USA in 2005, so not any overlap, just old man brain.

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-bottom-conference-realignment-gripping-100149648.html

"When the Big 12 recently invited Cincinnati, UCF, BYU and Houston to reconfigure yet again after Texas and Oklahoma declared their intent to join the SEC, it brought an end to the latest round of conference realignment at the power conference level.

But the landscape of college football, and all of college sports, isn’t even close to settled. The Texas/Oklahoma move didn't just shake up the SEC’s peer leagues; the effect is being felt all the way through the Football Bowl Subdivision down to the lower levels of Division I.

Beyond an expected reorganization of schools in the so-called Group of Five conferences, there is a renewed urgency among smaller schools with big football ambitions to position themselves in the best possible way for whatever the next iteration of the NCAA looks like. With the NCAA announcing a constitutional convention to dramatically overhaul the organization’s governance structure — and, ultimately, hand the major football-playing schools more power — administrators and school presidents are concerned that the last ship for any potential upward mobility from FCS to FBS, or from Division II to Division I, may be about to set sail.

“A lot of people are nervous,” said one Division I athletics director. “If you want to make a move, you’re at the crossroads. You have to do it now...."”

""...One thing everybody agrees with is that Division I is too big,” one athletics director said. “At some point, there has to be a line...."”

From the article.  I have long felt they need to knock about 100 schools out of the basketball tournament.  I've never seen it expressed before though.  But there is a huge gap even between an Illinois St. in the Missouri Valley and some of the WAC, MEAC and NEC schools.

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Boise State and SDSU have told the American “no thanks” per the twitters. Boise is waiting for B12 or P12 invite.

AFA is still interested but some say Colorado State is 50/50.

Boise didn't become a state university until 1974. They're going to waiting a long time for a P12 invitation. 

SDSU probably has a much better shot. 

I'm guessing AFA is a no if a travel partner doesn't go with them. 

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/mountain-west-staves-off-aac-boise-state-san-diego-state-air-force-colorado-state?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

Brett:

"...In other words, the Mountain West stuck together and now could pick off some schools from other leagues.

Among the possibilities, sources said, could be gauging interest in some of the AAC members, including SMU, or non-football members such as Gonzaga (West Coast Athletic) or Wichita State (AAC).

“All three have been discussed, along with many others,” a Mountain West source said. “We’re still strategizing whether to add or not. This is an ongoing conversation.”

The only certainty about the Mountain West’s future membership is it will not include UTEP. The Miners, members of Conference USA, have longed to be in the MW for geographic reasons, but the Miners “have no chance” at the MWC, a source said....

After the exits of Cincinnati, UCF and Houston, the AAC will be down to eight members. Among its only options would be from Conference USA or the Sun Belt.

At the top of the list is UAB and, perhaps, Charlotte, with several other schools from both leagues in play once the AAC decides which path to proceed.

“We’re still determining who, and how many is still up in the air,” an AAC source said. “Anything from two to six schools seems possible...."”

On 10/1/2021 at 9:33 AM, Saint Austin said:

If I were the Mountain West, I'd go on the offensive and try to poach SMU and Tulsa from a weakened American.

SMU and Tulsa would be good adds for the MWC and solidify them as the top G5.  

On 10/1/2021 at 4:19 PM, bullet said:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/mountain-west-staves-off-aac-boise-state-san-diego-state-air-force-colorado-state?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

Brett:

"...In other words, the Mountain West stuck together and now could pick off some schools from other leagues.

Among the possibilities, sources said, could be gauging interest in some of the AAC members, including SMU, or non-football members such as Gonzaga (West Coast Athletic) or Wichita State (AAC).

“All three have been discussed, along with many others,” a Mountain West source said. “We’re still strategizing whether to add or not. This is an ongoing conversation.”

The only certainty about the Mountain West’s future membership is it will not include UTEP. The Miners, members of Conference USA, have longed to be in the MW for geographic reasons, but the Miners “have no chance” at the MWC, a source said....

After the exits of Cincinnati, UCF and Houston, the AAC will be down to eight members. Among its only options would be from Conference USA or the Sun Belt.

At the top of the list is UAB and, perhaps, Charlotte, with several other schools from both leagues in play once the AAC decides which path to proceed.

“We’re still determining who, and how many is still up in the air,” an AAC source said. “Anything from two to six schools seems possible...."”

Why wouldn't they consider UTEP?  

• Fuck You 2

On 10/1/2021 at 4:19 PM, bullet said:

Brett:

It kind of sucks that they gutted a good basketball conference, but hoops doesn’t matter in realignment. 

The Ponies should definitely join the Mountain West. 

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They’re the same league with different geography. The AAC has an edge by including places that care about football and not having the pacific time problem fir tv.

The AAC currently has that and a TV contract with ESPN worth twice what the MWC had with CBS, but rumor was ESPN has a clause in their contract that allows them to drop their payout when schools leave, and that CBS just ponied up more cash to keep Boise, San Diego St, Air Force, and Colorado State in the MWC so the TV$ may not be as lopsided going forward as it was.  So yes, geography argument still works, but outside of Memphis/Navy which of the remaining care about football?

Take SMU and Tulsa out along with Cincy, UH, and UCF this is the remaining conference.

Memphis, Tulane, East Carolina, South Florida, Temple, Wichita State (non football), Navy (fb only).

Memphis is the Big 12’s next in line and Navy could go back to independent in a heartbeat.

The AAC’s rumored backfill adds are UAB, Marshall, Rice/UTSA, and Army (fb only) so…

If I was the MWC I’d go for the jugular and offer Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, and Memphis and go to 16 and give them $0 exit fee if they leave for a power 5 conference as long as they give 2 years notice (likely the only way you’d get Memphis), and then offer Gonzaga a non fb spot opposite Hawaii’s football only spot.  That would make a solid conference in both football and basketball.

4 hours ago, SwAss said:

SMU and Tulsa would be good adds for the MWC and solidify them as the top G5.  

Why wouldn't they consider UTEP?  

I’d love to see them add UTEP (and UTSA), but they don’t want to double down on New Mexico/El Paso’s lack of fan support.

They have been grooming North Dakota State, Montana, and Eastern Washington for years in case they ever got raided for multiple members so I’m sure that’s where they’d move next if a Texas/near TX (SMU/UTSA) candidate doesn’t interest them.

I think Texas is in a good spot. Nobody really knows when we’re leaving, so the Irate 8 don’t really know if they’re playing their last home game against Texas. TCU fans really don’t give a shit, so I wasn’t expecting much from them. I’d announce the SEC move date right NSD1. The Iowa State crowd is going to be pretty hostile, but again if they’re not sure, it tampers the hate some. 

Meanwhile, the Irate 8 added teams and they feel the rug is still under their feet. BYU and Cincy could both be New Years 6 bowls this season. 

Texas hopefully has played their last road game in Fort Worth for multiple generations. Good riddance. 

49 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Texas is in a good spot. Nobody really knows when we’re leaving, so the Irate 8 don’t really know if they’re playing their last home game against Texas. TCU fans really don’t give a shit, so I wasn’t expecting much from them. I’d announce the SEC move date right NSD1. The Iowa State crowd is going to be pretty hostile, but again if they’re not sure, it tampers the hate some. 

Meanwhile, the Irate 8 added teams and they feel the rug is still under their feet. BYU and Cincy could both be New Years 6 bowls this season. 

Texas hopefully has played their last road game in Fort Worth for multiple generations. Good riddance. 

Aresco said he hasn't even talked to his schools about leaving early.  Seems like they are waiting for the OU/UT negotiations before even starting to talk.

UH/UCF/UC are all expected to be in the Big 12 in 2023, but for now are still on a 2024 schedule.  Big 12 isn't planning on anyone in 2022.

45 minutes ago, bullet said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/athletic-director-joe-parker-joins-to-talk-about-the/id1509883324?i=1000537540349

CSU AD says they thought about AAC but decided not to go when Boise and SDSU decided not to go.

He is apparently very positive about MWC expanding into Texas.

SMU and…? 

Just now, Barbacoa said:

Sounds like that big tech series was nothing more than a conversation, and tech ran with it. Don’t think there’s any real plans for it on our side. 

I wouldn't mind playing Tech again OOC down the road, but we don't need to play them every year for 25 years straight. How does that benefit UT more than games against P5 bluebloods? Or even gimme wins versus in-state G5s?

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

SMU and…? 

SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis (assuming they give them a $0 exit fee if they get a P5 offer), plus Wichita State (after they ask Gonzaga again).  This gives them a 16 team conference spanning from the banks of the Mississippi to the Pacific Coast.

Grabbing those schools cuts the AAC off from Texas as they lose their “bridge” connecting them to the East. They can try and rebuild the “bridge” with Southern Miss, LA Tech/ULL, in order to get Rice and UTSA but that is likely less impactful on TV$ and more impactful on travel costs so it’s probably not worth it.  My guess is that they’d (Temple, East Carolina, and USF) would backfill with Atlantic Coast area schools similar to the ACC’s footprint (UAB, Marshall, Buffalo, Liberty, Appalachian St, Coastal Carolina, Georgia St).

The only nonP5 school SMU will want to associate with in this state is Rice.  The last thing they want is to invite UTSA and elevate their sports to a level where they jump them in the pecking order (see UCF/USF) and risk them taking their theoretical spot in a future version of the Big 12.

4 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis (assuming they give them a $0 exit fee if they get a P5 offer), plus Wichita State (after they ask Gonzaga again).  This gives them a 16 team conference spanning from the banks of the Mississippi to the Pacific Coast.

Grabbing those schools cuts the AAC off from Texas as they lose their “bridge” connecting them to the East. They can try and rebuild the “bridge” with Southern Miss, LA Tech/ULL, in order to get Rice and UTSA but that is likely less impactful on TV$ and more impactful on travel costs so it’s probably not worth it.  My guess is that they’d (Temple, East Carolina, and USF) would backfill with Atlantic Coast area schools similar to the ACC’s footprint (UAB, Marshall, Buffalo, Liberty, Appalachian St, Coastal Carolina, Georgia St).

The only nonP5 school SMU will want to associate with in this state is Rice.  The last thing they want is to invite UTSA and elevate their sports to a level where they jump them in the pecking order (see UCF/USF) and risk them taking their theoretical spot in a future version of the Big 12.

I meant Texas. Texas only. 

I still don't get what MWC offers that AAC doesn't. Seems to me that the geographical divide as it currently is makes sense and their standing in the CFB hierarchy seem to be about equal. I still give AAC a slight edge even after losing the UH, Cincy, and UCF.

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I still don't get what MWC offers that AAC doesn't. Seems to me that the geographical divide as it currently is makes sense and their standing in the CFB hierarchy seem to be about equal. I still give AAC a slight edge even after losing the UH, Cincy, and UCF.

The TV rights and recruiting field may be stronger in the AAC, but the product on the field is far superior in the MWC, especially after these next defections.

10 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

The TV rights and recruiting field may be stronger in the AAC, but the product on the field is far superior in the MWC, especially after these next defections.

The former is all that matters, the latter is questionable, especially since they all play each other. I'd still like to see some kind of merger where the respective champions play each other and that winner gets a guaranteed spot in an expanded playoff.

5 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

No.  AAC is still a little better on the field.  MWC has a lot of deadweight in football.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

The former is all that matters, the latter is questionable, especially since they all play each other. I'd still like to see some kind of merger where the respective champions play each other and that winner gets a guaranteed spot in an expanded playoff.

The AAC just attempted to raid the MWC for Air Force, Colorado St, Boise St, and San Diego St; that implies that those schools are (from the AAC’s POV) better than any CUSA/Sun Belt replacements the AAC could pick up.

SMU is recruiting DFW kids primarily, but if you look at their roster and remove states that border Texas, there are more players from the MWC’s footprint than what’s left in the AAC.

Reportedly ESPN can reduce the AAC’s TV deal now that they’ve lost schools and that CBS has increased the MWC’s deal in order to keep the MWC whole (which is why Boise & co stayed put).

Take the 4 Western football schools in AAC out of the equation and what’s left?

USF, ECU, Temple, Navy(fb) < Boise, SDSU, CSU, Air Force

Anything the AAC puts together would clearly be behind the MWC in prestige.

So SMU/Memphis/Tulsa/Tulane can either stay and play it safe keeping the AAC in close competition with the MWC, or they can join the MWC and solidify their place as the best G5 conference where their champion would almost certainly be guaranteed a spot in a 12 team playoff (if it ever gets approved).

There is probably much more to the rumors of a potential UNT UTSA move than a Rice move to the MWC based off what I have been able to ask around about.  But both of those schools have major warts. But they definitely get the MWC into large Texas metro areas.

The real problem is that UTSAs current success is associated with their HC who is pretty much destined to leave this offseason.  Their budget, overall AD and following are negatives, but they do provide a big footprint and some recent football momentum. UNT can’t seem to get any consistency in football (and may fire Littrell if he doesn’t go bowling this year.. Hello landing spot for Graham Harrell after the USC staff gets let go) but has a large budget and decent basketball (but no baseball which is a WTF concept in Texas) profile to go with proximity to DFW.

Rice has academics, tradition, baseball and Houston and that’s it. 

All help the MWC push to Texas, but I get the feeling that Rice may hold out for the AAC. 

UTEP is DOA because of location and may be one of those in case of emergency adds if the B12 picks off one more school. UNT and UTSA could potentially be seen as adds if the AAC imploads or fully restructures, bit UTEP is too far west to be a primary target.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, &#x27;stache said:

Looking at the TV schedule next week, future Big 12ers Cincinnati and UCF get ABC at noon and BYU-Baylor gets 3:30 ESPN.  There are only 5 games that aren't at least ESPN3 or ESPN+ and 3 of those are MWC games.  Doesn't sound like much of an attraction.  One other is USM-UAB from CUSA and oddly, one is Auburn-Arkansas.  Guess SEC needs the LHN for an SECN West.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:36 PM, TKthunder2 said:

I don’t agree with that statement.  Other than New Mexico and UNLV every MWC has been competitive in football.  I wouldn’t call that a lot of deadweight.

At times competitive, but usually there are 3 or 4 teams any given year that are just awful.  Often Colorado St. or San Jose St.  Wyoming has been bad a lot lately.  Hawaii and Utah St. have their bad years.  CSU has been in the top 10, but usually they are really bad.

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Maybe this gets us to a path of the P4, the Big 12 and the G4 as either CUSA or Sun Belt disappears.