Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, utee94 said:

Live?  Don't count on it.  Instead of one network broadcasting one school's games, you're now up against 15 other baseball teams all playing weekend series on the same days at roughly the same times.  And that's just baseball.  Then there's all the softball games, and any other spring sports they choose to broadcast.

I am holding out hope they will all be streamed live and broadcast later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Live?  Don't count on it.  Instead of one network broadcasting one school's games, you're now up against 15 other baseball teams all playing weekend series on the same days at roughly the same times.  And that's just baseball.  Then there's all the softball games, and any other spring sports they choose to broadcast.

This is wrong.  Very wrong. 

I picked A&M - every one of their SEC baseball series was on SEC Network+ if it was not on an ESPN network.  If you have the SEC Network in your cable package, you get SEC Network+ by default through the ESPN app.  These games are live through the ESPN app. 

Q: ESPN+ is a paid subscription. Do I have to pay separately to access SEC Network+?
A:
 No. SEC Network+ is complementary to SEC Network and part of your subscription with your cable, satellite, or streaming provider.

Q: If a game is on ESPN+ or SEC Network+, can I watch it on TV?
A: SEC Network+ and ESPN+ are not television channels, but they are available via the ESPN App on your TV through connected streaming services and devices.

They can send out 7 separate SECN crews to 7 different campuses and air all 7 series on SEC network and through the APP (SECN+) simultaneously. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

This is wrong.  Very wrong. 

I picked A&M - every one of their SEC baseball series was on SEC Network+ if it was not on an ESPN network.  If you have the SEC Network in your cable package, you get SEC Network+ by default through the ESPN app.  These games are live through the ESPN app. 

Not talking about streaming.  If you are, that's cool. 

Just now, Js1 said:

You said they won't be live.

Streaming is live. 

I'm talking about the SEC Network.  On television.  Cable channel 353 or whatever.  Not streaming.

Again if you are, that's cool.  It's not what I'm talking about.

You must be pretty young if you don't realize there are large populations of people that don't do streaming, even if they have access to it.  My parents and everyone their age, for example.

Yeah, I am hoping beyond hope that all that we get on LHN will move to ESPN+. Some of it will be on SECN, but not all, and I think way less UT content than some of us think. For UT-specific pre-game/post-game/analysis/coaches shows, we already have the studio infrastructure and on/off air folks. But I'm have no idea if UT will want to pick up the production costs that Mouse handles now. I'm guessing not, but all that content can push the brand and help on the recruiting trail...maybe. The big drawback for E+ is no DVR/pausing. But that's the same for LHN for me now visa the ESPN app. And I hope the Lowell haters love them some Tebow...that crew does the SECN football pregame stuff. I'm not sure I've ever seen a school specific pre/post game show on SECN. Just coaches shows I think...anyone that watches more know differently?

Mouse was getting us ready for the new overlords when they had Lowell cut to the SECN pre-game team before the Arky game.

LHN is an amazing way to stay connected to campus from out of state. I am afraid we might wake up one day as realize we lose a ton of access to watch non-football sports. The pros have shown the way, they really don't give two shits if there are less eyeballs on the game as long as they sell out the stadium and get maximum broadcast dollars.

And I hear the folks upset about access. But it's as good as it ever was. Before LHN it was PPV, which was janky and not ubiquitous. Before that, we just didn't get every game on TV. You may be wishing for the bad old LHN days if much less of our shit is broadcast.

JS1 said it better, shorter and faster than I did...I wonder why Mouse doesn't just provide a school branded SEC+ stream for each SEC school. We'd basically have LHN on the ESPN app like now. Makes no difference if it's streamed...doesn't take any precious carriage on cable/satellite. I'm guessing the schools don't have enough content. Hell, we don't either after years of LHN. But if they had LHN+ instead of many SEC+ links, I'd be more inclined to randomly go check out what's streaming.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Not talking about streaming.  If you are, that's cool. 

The LHN might convert to be an SEC Network.  On U-verse I already had the SEC Network and 2 SEC alternates A and B.  I could see ESPN having a main SEC Network and then taking the LHN and SEC alternate A and turning then into an SEC-East (alternate A) and SEC-West (LHN).  Why scrap the LHN if it’s already on 50 million households and packaged into ATT, Verizon, Direct, etc, just convert it and give more access so they can broadcast 3-4 basketball/baseball games at a time (assuming 1 would be on another ESPN network at a minimum) and have more broadcast time for school specific programming/replays during non event time.

If they go with pods maybe spin up 2 additional channels and give each 4 team pod a dedicated channel (similar to the PAC12’s 2 school channels), the “production cost” would be low since this is already ‘produced’ for the main network/streaming, these would just be methods of distributing content for the olds.  Your pod footprint is packaged with the main SECN and your pod specific channel on the basic cable package, other tiers can include the other 3 pod channels.

24 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The LHN might convert to be an SEC Network.  On U-verse I already had the SEC Network and 2 SEC alternates A and B.  I could see ESPN having a main SEC Network and then taking the LHN and SEC alternate A and turning then into an SEC-East (alternate A) and SEC-West (LHN).  Why scrap the LHN if it’s already on 50 million households and packaged into ATT, Verizon, Direct, etc, just convert it and give more access so they can broadcast 3-4 basketball/baseball games at a time (assuming 1 would be on another ESPN network at a minimum) and have more broadcast time for school specific programming/replays during non event time.

If they go with pods maybe spin up 2 additional channels and give each 4 team pod a dedicated channel (similar to the PAC12’s 2 school channels), the “production cost” would be low since this is already ‘produced’ for the main network/streaming, these would just be methods of distributing content for the olds.  Your pod footprint is packaged with the main SECN and your pod specific channel on the basic cable package, other tiers can include the other 3 pod channels.

I like the SEC West (LHN) idea. You're correct in that the LHN has valuable production facilities, infrastructure, and nice footprint on existing cable packages. Aggy will probably be the only SEC school that vehemently opposes. 

ESPN had to scrap and claw for every household in the LHN footprint. I doubt they ease on the cable companies and just drop it all together. 

That said, I think the SEC Network badly needs more content. Even the ACC Network has daily morning show. SEC Now and Finebaum are their only daily shows. Is ESPN going to spend money to produce more original content? They appear reluctant at the moment. 

Perhaps there's a happy medium where there's a SEC West, SEC East network, and a SEC Mothership Network for football, conference hoops, and conference baseball games. West and East could run live broadcasts of women's and Olympic sports. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Man! I have 4 Big 10 channels -- main and 3 overflow -- on YoutTubeTV and only the main SECN. I hope they push A and B our way along with whatever they do with LHN. YTTV has no alts for ACC or SEC, only Big 10. and No Pac 12 at all.

Save a few football, basketball, and baseball games this is all your missing.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Well, it did cause the destruction of the B12 and sparked all conference realignment since the dawn of time, so it seems pretty relevant on this thread.

Have you been brainwashed by aggy?

Colorado left because they belong on the left coast.  Nebraska left because they got a better suitor.  aggy decided to leave at the same time but was just waiting for the right political environment (based on what their President said on the aggy website).  Their whining about LHN was just a means to rile up stupid aggys (ie 98% of them) and somehow try to blame Texas for their own decision.  Typical aggy.  Can't take responsibility for their own actions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Colorado left because they belong on the left coast.  Nebraska left because they got a better suitor.  aggy decided to leave at the same time but was just waiting for the right political environment (based on what their President said on the aggy website).  Their whining about LHN was just a means to rile up stupid aggys (ie 98% of them) and somehow try to blame Texas for their own decision.  Typical aggy.  Can't take responsibility for their own actions.

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on message board forums, but I'd hoped my hyperbole regarding all conference realignments for all time, might have served as a cue.

I can assure you, I agree with you.

So... lighten up, Francis. ;)

54 minutes ago, bullet said:

IIRC, in 2010 Colorado also left first because they heard about Texas'/whoever's/The-Plan for Texas & aggy to go to the then-PAC-10, and they were scared they would be left out with nowhere to go after Texas & aggy left, so they jumped ship first so that they were first moving to the PAC-10, regardless of whether the Texas & aggy move to the PAC-10 happened or not.

Then when the Texas and aggy plan to the PAC-10 got reported by the media, Gene Stallings & other jizz-jar-suckas flapped their yaps about how they would "feel better" with secsecsec blahblahblah, as well as all the huffing-&-puffing irate-small-school politicians put a stop to it----But what it did do was set the table for the 2nd Texas realignment attempt years later, and this one that finally worked for Texas & Mobilehoma.

What I don't remember anyone saying at the time that Colorado was a then-PAC-10 "cultural fit," even though it is -- the emphasis at the time for Colorado was not being left out in the cold/abandoned, in a dying conference or a blown-up conference.

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Did I miss the announcement that the Horns will be in the SEC beginning in 2022? I keep thinking I missed it.

There hasn't been an announcement.... yet.

Several people believe the fact that this story has all gone quiet is a sign that this is now being negotiated.

Plus the difficulty of anyone finding any history of major school realignment having more than 1 lame-duck year, also gives people the idea that Texas will be playing in the SEC in 2022.

1 hour ago, bullet said:

it wasn't until 5 months after CU and NU left that ESPN became the favorite for getting the LHN and UT realized they were getting more than $3 million or so a year.

Deloss offered aggy 50% of a tv deal.  aggy announced their standing offer to the sec 3 years before the LHN was announced.  corn left because there really was more than :01 second left on the clock and their brains exploded because the truth was incomprehensible.   ralph left in less than 36 hours over a weekend when the rapists announced they were going to play the lege card.  mizzou says we're big and evil, but they can't provide any reasons why, they're just pissed they didn't get the b1g slot they are best suited for.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

IIRC, in 2010 Colorado also left first because they heard about Texas'/whoever's/The-Plan for Texas & aggy to go to the then-PAC-10, and they were scared they would be left out with nowhere to go after Texas & aggy left, so they jumped ship first so that they were first moving to the PAC-10, regardless of whether the Texas & aggy move to the PAC-10 happened or not.

Then when the Texas and aggy plan to the PAC-10 got reported by the media, Gene Stallings & other jizz-jar-suckas flapped their yaps about how they would "feel better" with secsecsec blahblahblah, as well as all the huffing-&-puffing irate-small-school politicians put a stop to it----But what it did do was set the table for the 2nd Texas realignment attempt years later, and this one that finally worked for Texas & Mobilehoma.

What I don't remember anyone saying at the time that Colorado was a then-PAC-10 "cultural fit," even though it is -- the emphasis at the time for Colorado was not being left out in the cold/abandoned, in a dying conference or a blown-up conference.

In hindsight it may have been better for the Pac to hold off on excepting Colorado.  May have pissed us off.

53 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Colorado regretted not joining the Pac in 1994.  They voted 4-3 to stay with the proposed Big 12 after a Pac offer and then two of their board members who voted for Big 12 left.  Regularly talked with someone who had some connections with Colorado (he was in a sports related business) who said they were always talking to Texas trying to get them to go to the Pac since the Pac was no longer offering CU alone.  CU president talked about the cultural connection.  CA had the largest number of alums.  AZ was 3rd after Texas and had more than all the rest of the Big 12 states combined.  Now CU did move to the Pac first because of TX politicians talking about Baylor again, but that was merely the pace of the move, not the desire.

7 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

There hasn't been an announcement.... yet.

Several people believe the fact that this story has all gone quiet is a sign that this is now being negotiated.

Plus the difficulty of anyone finding any history of major school realignment having more than 1 lame-duck year, also gives people the idea that Texas will be playing in the SEC in 2022.

Arkansas had two.

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

The PAC16 was the PAC10 plus Texas, aggy, Tech, Oklahoma, OSU, and Colorado.

While it was moving in that direction Baylor was trying to use the legislature to force them into the deal saying take the whole Big 12 South…and fuck Colorado out of their spot.

Colorado, having seen these shenanigans during the formation of the Big 12 conference (which ironically might have included BYU as the 12th member over Baylor) decided not to give the Texas Legislature the chance and asked for and accepted their invite assuming UT/OU we’re still coming (before aggy blew it up).

Colorado had no issues with Texas.  They just jumped on bandwagon blame game to “defend” their move West for fans that were upset that they left their old Big 8 members and basically cut off their alumni in the State of Texas from being able to see CU games regularly in person.

When the media asked them why they left their historical rivals, saying “fuck Texas” was easier and made them look better than explaining they assumed OU and UT were joining them and the PAC16 with Texas would have been extremely beneficial to them but it didn’t happen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HouTex said:

Did I miss the announcement that the Horns will be in the SEC beginning in 2022? I keep thinking I missed it.

Well the SEC is going to announce their 2022 schedule tonight.  I suspect UT and OU will not be included.  But if they are, that is your announcement.

59 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Schedules can change , I wouldn't think too hard about it unless it actually had UT and OU on the schedule 

Yup.  Today's announced SEC schedules won't have Texas and OU on the SEC rotation for 2022.

But the revised one they'll release in a few months, will.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, DCLonghorn said:
On 9/20/2021 at 6:38 PM, BurntOrange&White said:
Fuck the PAC if you wanted to go there you’re a big stupid head!

Hey, hey, hey! There's no reason to get nasty.

What popped in my noggin...

Anyway, I was fine with PAC for OU & UT (if keeping a core of rivals in a "merger"), but I am glad about move to SEC with Texas [vs B1G move w/ KU]...

12 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Like the complements, but what else are they going to say?

Also, Gundy: “We hit a home run. ... And you’ve solidified this league until things start to change after the 2024 season with media rights across the country.” Wait, wut? So, not stable after 2024? 🤨

On 9/20/2021 at 8:34 AM, utee94 said:

I'm talking about the SEC Network.  On television.  Cable channel 353 or whatever.  Not streaming.

Again if you are, that's cool.  It's not what I'm talking about.

You must be pretty young if you don't realize there are large populations of people that don't do streaming, even if they have access to it.  My parents and everyone their age, for example.

This is a very narrow view of things.  Kind of seems like just trying to find something to bitch about instead of adapting to your very much changing environment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

This is a very narrow view of things.  Kind of seems like just trying to find something to bitch about instead of adapting to your very much changing environment. 

I can find streaming options easily.  My parents can only find channels on their TV.  They're far from alone.  

Seems like a pretty narrow view to believe that all fans are tech and streaming savvy.  

Edited by utee94

Didn’t say it would be easy to do for all. The fact is it’s possible. And in most cases requires no additional subscription or money output. 

my parents aren’t tech savvy either.  I regularly field their calls on phone, internet tv car issues.  Almost every single time I can fix their issues over the phone from 2500 miles away. Changing world.   Adapt. Overcome. They didn’t grow old by not changing to their surroundings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Didn’t say it would be easy to do for all. The fact is it’s possible. And in most cases requires no additional subscription or money output. 

my parents aren’t tech savvy either.  I regularly field their calls on phone, internet tv car issues.  Almost every single time I can fix their issues over the phone from 2500 miles away. Changing world.   Adapt. Overcome. They didn’t grow old by not changing to their surroundings. 
I recommend sharing YTTV with an older parent in another state. Hours or tech support. Heads explode with simple messages saying you aren't in your home area. Ha!

3 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

Well you soldier on then, brave warrior.

• Like 2

I can find streaming options easily.  My parents can only find channels on their TV.  They're far from alone.  
Seems like a pretty narrow view to believe that all fans are tech and streaming savvy.  

I highly recommend a basic smart TV. My mom can barely type an email and thinks her cell phone has to be plugged in to work. 30 minutes to set her up with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and an antenna for local channels. All right there first thing on the Home Screen. The remote even has a Netflix and Amazon button. I haven’t taken another TV or internet call since I set it up. If she can do it, your parents definitely can.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I highly recommend a basic smart TV. My mom can barely type an email and thinks her cell phone has to be plugged in to work. 30 minutes to set her up with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and an antenna for local channels. All right there first thing on the Home Screen. The remote even has a Netflix and Amazon button. I haven’t taken another TV or internet call since I set it up. If she can do it, your parents definitely can.
Very true...at first, but now I'm dealing with a parent with a smart tv that's a few years old that won't update some of the apps. Becomes a bigger son-tech-support nightmare.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Really?

Our living room set is a 3 or 4 year old 50” Samsung smart tv. 
We have only watched the Spectrum cable channels.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1