Missoula, MT

APEX

Will be there for 4 days so looking for recs on things to do and places to eat.  Was thinking about Glacier NP but that's 3 hrs driving.  One friend wants to fly fish and the rest just want to hang out.  I know Missoula is a college town but is that enough to occupy us for 4 days?  What are some good hikes nearby?

3 minutes ago, APEX said:

Will be there for 4 days so looking for recs on things to do and places to eat.  Was thinking about Glacier NP but that's 3 hrs driving.  One friend wants to fly fish and the rest just want to hang out.  I know Missoula is a college town but is that enough to occupy us for 4 days?  What are some good hikes nearby?

If you go to Montana and you don't go fishing, you have failed.

We floated the headwaters of the Missouri, and caught some beautiful rainbows.  I also fished the little Blackfoot on foot.  Got some hits, but no hookups, didn't care, it was one of the prettiest places I've ever been.

You're not too terribly far from Flathead Lake.  Every few years we have a family reunion at a camp on one of the "beaches".  I would suggest taking advantage of the lake.  Your buddy can fish and you others can fish/drink beer/drink beer & fish.  Apple orchards everywhere.  Watch out for rogue grizzly bears.  

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If you go to Montana and you don't go fishing, you have failed.

We floated the headwaters of the Missouri, and caught some beautiful rainbows.  I also fished the little Blackfoot on foot.  Got some hits, but no hookups, didn't care, it was one of the prettiest places I've ever been.

My first trip to Glacier, we passed right by Three Forks.  I did not realize what was up until I saw the "Historical Marker" signs.  The significance of being at the headwaters gave me goosebumps.  Girlfriend thought I was crazy for digging out my swimming suit and swimming in the river, but eventually she did the same thing.  You're right- beautiful place.

Great fucking town. Get a slice and a beer at The Bridge. Watch people surf on the river around the corner. Check the concert calendar at The Wilma, get drinks at the Red Lion on the river. 

Oh, and video poker at lucky Lil's is always fun.

Edited by pops
Because gambling

Imagine Nation Brewing has a nice outdoor patio and good beers. Glacier is worth the drive, even if you just did a single night near the park. I did a rafting trip out of Missoula as well that was just 2 or 3 hours but a good time. NW Montana is among the most beautiful places I've ever been so definitely go outside

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the recs so here's my recap of the 4 nights in Montana.

Had a burger at the Missoula Club. The patty was good but the burger came without lettuce or tomato.  Lots of locals.

Tried Tamarack Brewery but their power was out and The Notorious P.I.G. next door ran out of food so we ended up Caffe Dolce which was passable.

My buddies hiked to the M and thought it was worth the effort. We also went to Rattlesnake Canyon for a hike.

The best meal was at Bridge Pizza.  Excellent pie and spaghetti and chicken piccata was tasty and good portion.

Tried various brews from Big Sky Brewery and liked them all. 

Downtown Missoula is a lot of fun.  Can watch surfers from the bridge on the Clear Form river.  Saturday farmers market was big for a town of less than 100K.  Racial diversity was non existent except for all the Asians manning the produce stands. If I had to guess, I'd say they are either Laotians or Cambodians.

Drove to Glacier NP and hiked the Highline Loop trail from Logan Pass to the loop. The first 7.6 miles was very scenic to the Glacier Chalet. The remaining 4 miles was a beating since its all downhill for 2,300 feet and a killer on your quad.  It took us 5.5 hours and we are decent shape.

Had dinner at Flathead Brewery on the way back to Missoula but the meal was not very memorable.

The beauty of Montana more than offset the lack of good grubs. It's amazing the entire population is a tad over one million for all that land. I left this morning when it was 60 degree and came back to Texas at 104.  If you have a chance, go visit. It is truly beautiful.

CSB.  Got halfway up the M and get texts from my wife, who decided instead to just walk around campus, and got stung by a bee, and freaked the hell out, and drove herself to the emergency room, and left me up at the M.  Got a ride to the hospital from some nice folks at the bottom of the M.

Montana is no country for redheads with allergies.

We went in summer and it was brutally hot. 

I agree -- get in the water as much as you can. 

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I wouldn’t take a day trip to Glacier because it’s ~6 hours round trip. I would stay a night near Glacier. 

I stayed in Kalispell and Whitefish last fall when I was up at Glacier. I really dug Whitefish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Blotto said:

I stayed in Kalispell and Whitefish last fall when I was up at Glacier. I really dug Whitefish. 

Just got a place there.  Going to be up there from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  Going to be a big change from the Roaring Fork Valley.  But I am so looking forward to it.  Really loved skiing there for first time over Spring Break.  My house is on a manmade water ski lake in between Kalispell and Whitefish.  Going to spend a lot of the summer on that lake, Flathead Lake, and Whitefish Lake. Montana is beautiful.  And the people I have met so far, our neighbors, are awesome.

I am done spending summers in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:54 PM, txduck87 said:

Bump. Headed there by myself for a week this summer. Any new updates on hikes, bars, restaurants.

Hiking, fishing, rafting , day trip to GNP and good craft brews are on the docket. Thanks

I'll ask my daughter.  She lives there.  Her husband grew up in Polson, on the south end of Flathead Lake.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:33 AM, Frank Drebin said:

Just got a place there.  Going to be up there from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  Going to be a big change from the Roaring Fork Valley.  But I am so looking forward to it.  Really loved skiing there for first time over Spring Break.  My house is on a manmade water ski lake in between Kalispell and Whitefish.  Going to spend a lot of the summer on that lake, Flathead Lake, and Whitefish Lake. Montana is beautiful.  And the people I have met so far, our neighbors, are awesome.

I am done spending summers in Texas.

Sounds great and this is our plan starting in a couple of years.  If renting, how did you find your house to rent for that long stretch?