EPL 2018-19

Goo Punch

I’m not saying it is going to be another 100 point season, but I honestly believe we are better this year.  Sterling and Bernardo Silva have taken their games to the next level, and the back line is playing so much better than any time last year.  There are so many ways for this team to beat you, and that’s without KDB.

16 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I’m not saying it is going to be another 100 point season, but I honestly believe we are better this year.  Sterling and Bernardo Silva have taken their games to the next level, and the back line is playing so much better than any time last year.  There are so many ways for this team to beat you, and that’s without KDB.

No question you are better than last year. The only challenge you will have is negotiating CL and a title run. 

Looks like more young U.S. players are going to set their sights on Germany and other countries in the future.

English FA to cut foreign players in Premier League - report

In a bid to deal with Brexit and boost the number of homegrown players, the English FA is planning to reduce the number of overseas players in Premier League squads to 12 from 17, the Times newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The proposal, to be put to the clubs this week, would mean significant changes to a number of sides. Thirteen clubs have more than 12 overseas players in their first-team squads this season.

The FA would in return agree to give a governing body endorsement, usually issued for a non-EU/European Economic Area elite player to help the development of football in England, for a work permit for every foreign player who gets a contract with a Premier League club, the report said...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3699739/english-fa-to-cut-foreign-players-in-premier-league-report

34 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This. And B+ is a bit high for Klopp despite the results. 

Shocked they didn't give Mou and F for the lulz.

Klopp's only blemishes are a draw at home to City and away draws to Chelsea and Arsenal. They've also allowed the joint fewest goals in the league. That's more than worthy of a B+.

Poch lost back to back games in September, one of which was at home to a top 4 rival. A C is maybe slightly harsh but it's probably justified compared to the others on the list. 

Just now, Jograves said:

Klopp's only blemishes are a draw at home to City and away draws to Chelsea and Arsenal. They've also allowed the joint fewest goals in the league. That's more than worthy of a B+.

Poch lost back to back games in September, one of which was at home to a top 4 rival. A C is maybe slightly harsh but it's probably justified compared to the others on the list. 

Pochettino also has a squad that’s been used and abused in international football.

Check this bullshit out

Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

Spoiler

All 20 Premier League clubs have been asked for a £250,000 contribution so that the league's outgoing executive chairman Richard Scudamore can be given a £5m farewell gift.

The clubs were asked for the money before a meeting on Tuesday.

It is expected they will agree to Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck's request.

Scudamore, 59, who is reportedly paid £2.5m per season, is stepping down next month after 19 years at the organisation.

The league's UK television rights were valued at around £670m when he joined, and the last deal was worth £5.14bn.

Buck, who has developed a close friendship with Scudamore since becoming Chelsea chairman in 2003, received backing from top-flight clubs during a meeting at Premier League headquarters in London.

Should every club contribute, the outgoing boss will receive an additional £5m windfall as a token of appreciation for his successful tenure.

On Tuesday the Premier League announced that Susanna Dinnage will be its new chief executive.

Dinnage joins from media organisation Discovery, where she was the global president of the Animal Planet channel.

Scudamore joined the Premier League in November 1999 as chief executive before becoming executive chairman in June 2014.

The top-flight clubs have agreed to split his role and will now search for a non-executive chair.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Guardiola gets an A?   Pretty sure I could have MC in the same position with the talent on that team.  

How do you give Pouch a C?  Best club start in history?  4th in the table and 3 pts off of second with all the crap that's gone on at Tottenham?

Yeah, that immediately stuck out. Dealing with a short squad that’s worn out from the WC and a clusterfuck of a stadium and he leads them to their best start in club history. 

16 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah, that immediately stuck out. Dealing with a short squad that’s worn out from the WC and a clusterfuck of a stadium and he leads them to their best start in club history. 

But that's my point about that lack of Summer signings. This is a self-made problem. Bring in some players and the squad isn't ground to dust. They might still be in the UCL hunt. 

19 minutes ago, midtown said:

This is my first real year immersed in the EPL.  I didn't realize the managers controlled the purse strings.  Figured that was the owners and chairman of the clubs that got to decide on transfers or not.

Depends on the manager and the club. Most clubs have a board that deal with transfers based on the manager's input. Klopp seems to be very much involved (ie VVD) but I image players like Allison were more of a "go get me a keeper" and the board did the rest.

16 minutes ago, midtown said:

This is my first real year immersed in the EPL.  I didn't realize the managers controlled the purse strings.  Figured that was the owners and chairman of the clubs that got to decide on transfers or not.

it's a bit of both. knowing that spurs don't typically spend like the other clubs, and especially weren't going to this past summer, he still should have identified some realistic options and it seems he didn't. you can also look at the 17/18 season. the only guys consistently performing/contributing are sanchez and lucas. everyone else has been a big bag of meh.

7 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

he still should have identified some realistic options and it seems he didn't.

I wasn't in the board room.  The went after Grealish but who knows.  

As a noob.  If I had to guess it went something like this from Levy to Pouchettino.  "We're really thin this summer due to the stadium spending"  If you can find someone "realistic"  that will be better than someone on the squad that cost less than $XXX let's get him.  Otherwise make do with what you have, bring up academy players if needed and try to stay in the top 6 until January.   

Edited by midtown

3 hours ago, maninblack said:

Check this bullshit out

Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

Reveal hidden contents

All 20 Premier League clubs have been asked for a £250,000 contribution so that the league's outgoing executive chairman Richard Scudamore can be given a £5m farewell gift.

The clubs were asked for the money before a meeting on Tuesday.

It is expected they will agree to Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck's request.

Scudamore, 59, who is reportedly paid £2.5m per season, is stepping down next month after 19 years at the organisation.

The league's UK television rights were valued at around £670m when he joined, and the last deal was worth £5.14bn.

Buck, who has developed a close friendship with Scudamore since becoming Chelsea chairman in 2003, received backing from top-flight clubs during a meeting at Premier League headquarters in London.

Should every club contribute, the outgoing boss will receive an additional £5m windfall as a token of appreciation for his successful tenure.

On Tuesday the Premier League announced that Susanna Dinnage will be its new chief executive.

Dinnage joins from media organisation Discovery, where she was the global president of the Animal Planet channel.

Scudamore joined the Premier League in November 1999 as chief executive before becoming executive chairman in June 2014.

The top-flight clubs have agreed to split his role and will now search for a non-executive chair.

That's just gross. Give him a fucking bon voyage plaque and donate the money to some worthy cause. The guy made a salary and it wasn't peanuts. A 5m pound 'gift' is ridiculous. 

From what I've read, it sounds like LFC, Everton and Burnley are holding out. 

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

But that's my point about that lack of Summer signings. This is a self-made problem. Bring in some players and the squad isn't ground to dust. They might still be in the UCL hunt. 

No signings (By Levy) and he’s lead them to their best start in club history while playing their home games at wembley. A rating in my book. C is ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, midtown said:

I wasn't in the board room.  The went after Grealish but who knows.  

As a noob.  If I had to guess it went something like this from Levy to Pouchettino.  "We're really thin this summer due to the stadium spending"  If you can find someone "realistic"  that will be better than someone on the squad that cost less than $XXX let's get him.  Otherwise make do with what you have, bring up academy players if needed and try to stay in the top 6 until January.   

villa was never letting grealish go unless someone paid way over market value for him. look, a C is harsh but consider the source. the financial constraints you mention also aren't going away, so i wouldn't expect much in january especially with the new stadium still delayed.

spurs are about to get into the meat of their first half league schedule. let's revisit in a few weeks. 

I'm not holding out hope on VAR from the EPL. First, the FAs first attempts have been awful, just look at some of the EFL cup games we've seen it in.

But bigger, how many horribly blown calls have we seen in the EPL? I don't think it's really been that many, and I can only think of 1 that altered a game, and I'm not even sure that's a reviewable call.

It wouldn't affect my hatred of Chelsea, I would still hate them.

In the end, it sounds like he's just not going to be at Dortmund after the January transfer window, it's not a done deal that Chelsea will be the team, just that they have figure out their move for him and gotten the ball rolling for the other teams. I would still put my money on Liverpool as the team to get him.