EPL 2018-19

Goo Punch

15 hours ago, WBT said:

Oh, come on.  I can definitely believe that I'm attacking Mou.  ManU were also 8 points behind 5th, 11 points behind 4th, and 13 points behind 3rd.  Since Ole took over they've basically played about even with Man City and Liverpool and made up a lot of ground on the other 3....much better than they were doing under Mou. 

Which is fine, as either Mou or about half the squad needed to go.  The question I have is, if VAR doesn’t give the penalty in Paris, do you see any reason to remove the interim tag from Ole?  To me, it reeks of desperation and I think had they changed Mou for the ghost of Sylvia Plath the team would have improved morale and thereby results.

I think that penalty and potentially a weaker than previous years Barca team are going gloss over this.  They should have just lined up Pochettino to announce the second the season is over.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Wolves have managed. 

ie: someone has to come in 7th

managed what? The Wolves are as close (in point total) to 6th place as they are to 17th place (14 points).

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

The question I have is, if VAR doesn’t give the penalty in Paris, do you see any reason to remove the interim tag from Ole?

I think they played a pretty inspired match regardless of the result. 

Might as well dance with the guy that got you there for a bit. At the least it probably buys them a season to look at other options if they feel they need to. 

Leicester City won the league just three seasons ago, so we know it's possible for the bottom 14 to catch lightning in a bottle. Burnley finished 7th last year on 54 points and until 2 seasons ago, Soton was consistently battling in the top half for European positions.

This season the top 2 are both at 79 points or greater after 32 matchweeks. First time in the history of the PL that's happened. Before Tottenham's little hiccup in the league, there were 3 teams with 60 or more points after 26 matchweeks. This season isn't the norm of the last decade or so, and I don't think we should read too much into it. 

Having said that, if the top 6 continue to put distance between themselves and the bottom 14 clubs, the possibility of a Euro Super League increases. That's not a good thing for those outside the top 6. 

3 hours ago, Jograves said:

Leicester City won the league just three seasons ago, so we know it's possible for the bottom 14 to catch lightning in a bottle. Burnley finished 7th last year on 54 points and until 2 seasons ago, Soton was consistently battling in the top half for European positions.

This season the top 2 are both at 79 points or greater after 32 matchweeks. First time in the history of the PL that's happened. Before Tottenham's little hiccup in the league, there were 3 teams with 60 or more points after 26 matchweeks. This season isn't the norm of the last decade or so, and I don't think we should read too much into it. 

Having said that, if the top 6 continue to put distance between themselves and the bottom 14 clubs, the possibility of a Euro Super League increases. That's not a good thing for those outside the top 6. 

i appreciate the thoughts.

Leicester winning the league is also not the norm, so i am not going to read too much into that. There is a glass ceiling and I don't think the big clubs are particularly concerned about it.

For most American sports fans,  the Premier League is 6 teams and 14 other teams no one has ever heard of. Makes sense when the bottom 14 consists of a transient cauldron of largely anonymous clubs.

I have friends and family that look at me and "don't get it" when i mention that the team I root for has literally zero chance to win the league it competes in. I think this reality is a big inhibitor for clubs, not in the Top 6, trying to expand it's fan base beyond it's natural locale. People don't naturally gravitate to perpetual losers (present company excluded).

i hear grumblings on Soton fan sites about almost wanting to go back to the Championship. I usually write this off as a way people cope when relegation is a possibility, but the reality is  being in the Premier League can be a beating for a fan. If you asked a West Brom supporter did they enjoyed last season in the PL more than this season in Championship I bet you would get a mixed bag of opinions on that. [Now for a West Brom fan from Kansas City. I think we would know the answer.]

i hope this doesn't come off as whining, but the above were just a few off the cuff thoughts. For the most part, I love that Southampton is in the PL and the access that comes with it. I get to watch my team on TV tomorrow! (will likely get our skulls crushed in as well). Que sera sera, i suppose.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Jograves said:

Having said that, if the top 6 continue to put distance between themselves and the bottom 14 clubs, the possibility of a Euro Super League increases.

Is this really a thing that people are imagining? When we already have the CL? 

15 hours ago, yoladu said:

i appreciate the thoughts.

Leicester winning the league is also not the norm, so i am not going to read too much into that. There is a glass ceiling and I don't think the big clubs are particularly concerned about it.

For most American sports fans,  the Premier League is 6 teams and 14 other teams no one has ever heard of. Makes sense when the bottom 14 consists of a transient cauldron of largely anonymous clubs.

I have friends and family that look at me and "don't get it" when i mention that the team I root for has literally zero chance to win the league it competes in. I think this reality is a big inhibitor for clubs, not in the Top 6, trying to expand it's fan base beyond it's natural locale. People don't naturally gravitate to perpetual losers (present company excluded).

i hear grumblings on Soton fan sites about almost wanting to go back to the Championship. I usually write this off as a way people cope when relegation is a possibility, but the reality is  being in the Premier League can be a beating for a fan. If you asked a West Brom supporter did they enjoyed last season in the PL more than this season in Championship I bet you would get a mixed bag of opinions on that. [Now for a West Brom fan from Kansas City. I think we would know the answer.]

i hope this doesn't come off as whining, but the above were just a few off the cuff thoughts. For the most part, I love that Southampton is in the PL and the access that comes with it. I get to watch my team on TV tomorrow! (will likely get our skulls crushed in as well). Que sera sera, i suppose.

Cheers.

I did say Leicester winning the league was catching lightning in a bottle. I never said it was the norm.

I don't think it's whining. You want your team to win. Shit, I've been an Astros fan my entire life and until about 10:50 PM on November 1, 2017, I wasn't sure we'd ever win the damn thing.

In Soton's case though, most of the blame lies within the club for how they've finished the last two seasons. No one forced them to hire Pellegrino or Mark Hughes and they've certainly had plenty of cash to spread around. Poor decision making at the management level played the biggest part. That's just my opinion. 

With City having already won the EFL Cup and still alive in the FA and Champions Leagues and right there for the EPL, they still have a shot at pulling off the quad.

Someone posted this schedule they would need to navigate to pull that off. It's weekend/mid-week for the rest of the EPL season (12th of May).

u5rRUvf5GlG-3WHL1Kcnyyjz0_k03CETDJzlSTmb

Although VVD, Lovren, and Lallana are Public Enemy #1, #2, and #3 with Soton fans, we still love Mane.

funny exchange last Friday, when Soton Defender Yoshida once realized which Liverpool player was being a bit too touchy with an injured Soton player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

...and Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger was essentially fired today.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47907336

...not to mention Les Reed, the Vice Chairman, was forced out in November and we sacked a manager in December.

never a dull moment.

• Like 1

This cant be good.

Chelsea even sent the league a 24-page document listing allegedly unregistered youth players from 20 different British clubs. As supporting evidence, the club presented social media posts of players that included pictures of themselves during training or games. They document a kind of parallel world in the shadow of the football rules.

https://m.spiegel.de/international/europe/football-leaks-how-british-football-signed-youth-talent-a-1262635.html

Sounds like there is rampant cheating in the EPL in regards to the youth.

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Soft or not, you put your fate in the refs hands when you do what Deeney did. I see no fault with that card.

I also heard that Watford got away with a few questionable challenges after that call, would need someone that watched the game to follow up on that.

To me, it looked like Deeney is trying to swim past Torreira and Torreira's height puts Deeney's forearm close to his face. I didn't think there was any intent. 

The five minutes after the red card were a little nasty. I think it was Doucoure who had a pretty poor challenge on Torreira and stood over him and told him to get the fuck up. There wasn't anything too serious though.

Watford were the better team in this match even with 10 men. They harassed Arsenal all over the pitch, and Arsenal were really timid, particularly in the 2nd half. Watford probably should've scored and deserved at least a point. Arsenal's first away clean sheet of the season. Thought that was surprising, but they've been a different team on the road than at home. 

16 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Think arsenal has a top 4 wrapped up with the schedules left...can spurs hold on?

2 spots, 4 teams, here is what everyone has left (home games bold)

3. Spurs 67: City, Brighton, West Ham, Bournemouth, Everton
4. Arsenal 66: Palace, Wolves, Leicester City, Brighton, Burnley
5. Chelsea 66: Burnley, ManU, Watford, Leicester City
6. ManU 64: Everton. City, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Cardiff

Thoughts on this finish per team:

Spurs - City is their toughest game, after that finish 3 of 4 at home.
Arsenal - Pretty light schedule, but they shouldn't overlook Leicester City
Chelsea - only having 4 games doesn't help and the ManU-Chelsea could be an elimination game
ManU - rough finish with 2 of the last 5 against top 6 clubs, even if they are at home.

Nobody has it super easy. Because of the ManU-Chelsea game, I have to give Spurs and Arsenal the advantage for the top 4.

• Like 1

2 spots, 4 teams, here is what everyone has left (home games bold)
3. Spurs 67: City, Brighton, West Ham, Bournemouth, Everton
4. Arsenal 66: Palace, Wolves, Leicester City, Brighton, Burnley
5. Chelsea 66: Burnley, ManU, Watford, Leicester City
6. ManU 64: Everton. City, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Cardiff
Thoughts on this finish per team:
Spurs - City is their toughest game, after that finish 3 of 4 at home.
Arsenal - Pretty light schedule, but they shouldn't overlook Leicester City
Chelsea - only having 4 games doesn't help and the ManU-Chelsea could be an elimination game
ManU - rough finish with 2 of the last 5 against top 6 clubs, even if they are at home.
Nobody has it super easy. Because of the ManU-Chelsea game, I have to give Spurs and Arsenal the advantage for the top 4.
Yeah arsenal has best bet imo...
Spurs 2nd best chance(hoping they get some kind of points against city)
Chelsea/manu cant draw if one of them want a top 4 spot imo....will be fun