The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

So-Cal to the San Juan Islands...

get your Patagonia puffy jacket ready.

I like the idea of living on an island away from people, and being able to jump on my boat in front of my house and get further away, seems delightful.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I like the idea of living on an island away from people, and being able to jump on my boat in front of my house and get further away, seems delightful.

Sure.  The Sound is majestic.  

Get ready to be Costanza’d by cold wet weather.

Coldest I have ever been was working outside the first winter I lived in PDX after living in LA for 3 years.  I’ve said it before, 35 and pouring with a 30mph gust is fucking bone chilling cold. 

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

On my list.  From what I understand though, winds are very often very light and you end up motoring a lot.  But it’s a possible retirement spot for me.

Reading my basic cruising text book on locations and Southern California up to the Channel Islands and a week in Santa Barbara sounds pretty choice.  I know the currents and winds there on the point and by the islands can be tricky don’t know much else but it sounds like it could be a fun time. San Diego to LA to Catalina to SB.  Dunno the distances but seems like it could be a hashtag FAAFO. 

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

Damn. Some environmental chick that’s helping us do some cleanup right now mentioned this to me awhile back.  She said something about half a million barrels and I figured she meant gallons.  Some people just dgaf.  

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn. Some environmental chick that’s helping us do some cleanup right now mentioned this to me awhile back.  She said something about half a million barrels and I figured she meant gallons.  Some people just dgaf.  

For serious, I'm legit stunned by this, and I've seen some real dgaf environmental practices in my day

13 hours ago, G650 said:

By a week, you mean forever.

Best place I've ever lived, hands down

My ex and I had grand plans of spending the summers there might be hotter than we’d want at times but with the kids is when we could do it. I had dreams of putting them in sailing school and working from a spot over looking the ocean.  Didn’t happen obviously, but we are all sailing and we’ve had plenty of ocean time. Definitely need to get back that way. 

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Makes my chest pains come back. Gut wrenching. 

a56c563bf955a8e8419b213e11946678.jpg

Summer has arrived. Had one of those long ass Sunday’s on Lake Austin, the kind that required taking a Monday off.

My boat is coming up on its first 100 hours and I haven’t had service since buying it at 60 hours 6 months ago. Definitely just about service time. This is a first for me. Thought about doing it myself but I’ve got zero experience. Anyone have a recommendation for a dockside service that they’re confident in, other than just paying through the teeth to my local dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like a great Sunday!! I don’t have a rec unless you’re really close to lakeway marina - we use their service department but we are two coves down from there and the service department manager is team lesbian so she may just be doing us a favor. But they come down and take care of ours when we need it. 

edit - you said lake Austin so yeah I don’t have a rec.

Edited by troph

On 4/25/2021 at 8:57 PM, troph said:

Reading my basic cruising text book on locations and Southern California up to the Channel Islands and a week in Santa Barbara sounds pretty choice.  I know the currents and winds there on the point and by the islands can be tricky don’t know much else but it sounds like it could be a fun time. San Diego to LA to Catalina to SB.  Dunno the distances but seems like it could be a hashtag FAAFO. 

I have sailed all of this area for most of my life.  I had my boat at Channel Islands Harbor south of Santa Barbara and the closest point to the Channel Islands for 12 years.  Santa Cruz Island is amazing, with tons of great anchorages.  BUT, if I'm a relative newbie, I stay south of Pt. Mugu (just north of Malibu).  The East Santa Barbara Channel can get really pissy, and is pretty unpredictable even in these times of quality forecasting.  A lot of So Cal sailors don't venture up to the northern Channel Islands because they don't want to get bashed.  Odds of nice settled weather improve if you go July-September.  SB Harbor is my favorite harbor to overnight in.  You can get guest slips through the harbor dept.  Brophy Bros is right there at the base of the docks.  Really cool little harbor (literally physically bumped into Julia Louis Dreyfuss right in front of Brophy's about 5 years ago).  Catalina is the place I would go for a first time cruise.  Marina Sailing is a great charter outfit with locations all over the southland.  Had my boat in the fleet for years.  Charter something out of Long Beach and head to Catalina.  Have fun doing that, and you can start expanding your horizons.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/25/2021 at 5:12 PM, blacklab said:

Is it a state law or city of Austin ordinance that fishing boats must go a minimum of 55 mph on Lake Austin?

Used to see them hauling ass all the time, especially in the mornings.  My guess is they're fishing some kind of tournament and moving in between hot spots fast as possible to maximize "line wet" time.

6 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Summer has arrived. Had one of those long ass Sunday’s on Lake Austin, the kind that required taking a Monday off.

My boat is coming up on its first 100 hours and I haven’t had service since buying it at 60 hours 6 months ago. Definitely just about service time. This is a first for me. Thought about doing it myself but I’ve got zero experience. Anyone have a recommendation for a dockside service that they’re confident in, other than just paying through the teeth to my local dealer?

Are you out on Canyon Lake Bob, or is that another Surly poster I'm thinking of?

6 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

I'm pretty sure we passed by you guys at least once.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Don't think there was a tournament as it was only a few boats, but each one I saw Sunday was wide open, weaving in and out of boats with tubes/wakeboarders/people in the water.

Musta been practicing their "Ain't Skeered" doctrine Lab.

We talkin' bout PRACTICE!

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Are you out on Canyon Lake Bob, or is that another Surly poster I'm thinking of?

Lake Austin. Haven't put in at Canyon yet and don't trailer much, so not sure if I'll get there unless we do a camping trip or something.   

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

I'm pretty sure we passed by you guys at least once.

Missed the murder hornet!  I think we've got the only "pretty penny metal flake" Centurion on the lake, as far as I've seen.  Although Centurion has been making some sales apparently, b/c I see tons more of them this year. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

More pics of Pipi Jugstocking in the black plz?

That's Mrs. Bob Lives! to you, so no. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

Lake Austin. Haven't put in at Canyon yet and don't trailer much, so not sure if I'll get there unless we do a camping trip or something.   

Missed the murder hornet!  I think we've got the only "pretty penny metal flake" Centurion on the lake, as far as I've seen.  Although Centurion has been making some sales apparently, b/c I see tons more of them this year. 

That's Mrs. Bob Lives! to you, so no. 

I'm 100% sure you've got the only "pretty penny metal flake" Centurion on that lake.

I've got to trailer up to L. ATX some weekend soon.  I would probably spend half the day cruising up and down looking for your boat and definitely the Murder Hornet.

"See!!!  See that kids!  That's Murder Hornet.  I named that boat!  That guy owes me a Fresca!!!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have sailed all of this area for most of my life.  I had my boat at Channel Islands Harbor south of Santa Barbara and the closest point to the Channel Islands for 12 years.  Santa Cruz Island is amazing, with tons of great anchorages.  BUT, if I'm a relative newbie, I stay south of Pt. Mugu (just north of Malibu).  The East Santa Barbara Channel can get really pissy, and is pretty unpredictable even in these times of quality forecasting.  A lot of So Cal sailors don't venture up to the northern Channel Islands because they don't want to get bashed.  Odds of nice settled weather improve if you go July-September.  SB Harbor is my favorite harbor to overnight in.  You can get guest slips through the harbor dept.  Brophy Bros is right there at the base of the docks.  Really cool little harbor (literally physically bumped into Julia Louis Dreyfuss right in front of Brophy's about 5 years ago).  Catalina is the place I would go for a first time cruise.  Marina Sailing is a great charter outfit with locations all over the southland.  Had my boat in the fleet for years.  Charter something out of Long Beach and head to Catalina.  Have fun doing that, and you can start expanding your horizons.

I might do this later in the year or sometime next year and I’ll give you a ring for sure.

Taking the big sail boat out on my own in may, charter booked.  BVI booked too. 45 foot cat, I’ll have a captain but we’ve made it very clear I’m hands on and will be at the helm the whole time with help as needed.  This is about to be the tits! 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, troph said:

Let’s be honest, tits go with everything.

I don't know.  When I was a youngin' my grandmother made me milk a goat.  After that she told me to come in for breakfast.

Apparently, tits don't go with an appetite for a bowl of Frosted Wheat.

Edited by Cajun
Unless you're aggy, I would presume.

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I don't know.  When I was a youngin' my grandmother made me milk a goat.  After that she told me to come in for breakfast.

Apparently, tits don't go with an appetite for a bowl of Frosted Wheat.

When I said tits go with everything it didn’t cross my mind you’d go to animals. Who’s the aggy now brah? 😉

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

^^Yup, first thing I think when I see a center console on the lake is, "I sure hope my fire extinguisher isn't expired".

Saw a badass Master Craft center console on Canyon at the marina gassing up last weekend.  I had no idea MC even made one.  Beautiful boat, but really needs to be on saltwater with lines wet.

We are chartering a 42’ FP Astrea in July. I’ve never sailed a catamaran so I went to Pensacola this past weekend to spend 2 days with a captain practicing. I learned a lot and feel really good about the trip. It had actually been 4 years since I sailed, our last trip in the BVIs just before Irma. I had another buddy new to sailing learning with me on the cat...he did great. I had another buddy come who had never been on a sailboat and we each brought a son. It was a fun time.
23558d1daee187f8e44576b08a8de5d9.jpg
1cb03f16fd59dd3ce47de58a07ab74db.jpg
1729d43e10ac6ba820053328dc01f1b4.jpg
ba94e41d02ab72d87f463befa5e05c1e.jpg
d735c04095dc75438724f1c696b5d5da.jpg
c7b72d00ca042a5c8ed842c7d84b8d92.jpg
393c27d223cc040125c3b91921d534cb.jpg
316eeb14ce79d9f953501438e614d7ef.jpg
aee6f7a7929f0292e757f6fc1bbb613f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

How did it sail? We are set up for a 45 footer in the BVI for thanksgiving. 

It was good, tacking and jibing was slightly different and we moved the traveler a ton whereas I never touched it once in 3 weeks on a mono while in the BVIs. We had relatively light winds and were sailing downwind/broad reach a ton. I got really comfortable jibing which always spooked me. It will be really great having another co-captain (the friend who came with this past weekend) on the boat in July whereas it was me alone with wife and and 2 kids 4 years ago. I think I feel comfortable for our trip.

While I hope to be sailing some in the BVIs I’m prepared to be staying in US waters. St John is my favorite island so that will be great staying there by boat. It just sucks we won’t be sailing much, not like when sailing BVIs. Perhaps the quarantine situation will be resolved but I am not hopeful. We had hoped to spend maybe 3 - 4 in St John and the rest in the BVIs.

I’m so ready for lake season, I need to get the jet ski in. I’ve had the boat out but not the paddle boards. We need some warm weather to bring the lake temps up to start surfing. I did pick up a wetsuit at the end of last season so I can get an earlier start.1e808cec87add503819d6a249c07aeab.jpg
8385ba8c5a25c75c687c8a471d6b03b7.jpg
87b6f42fe4922a7af827b9e3975de46b.jpg
ee97ed35a381e3d70a1eb3c5b3f10130.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

We were in PV this weekend, we didn’t charter a boat like we normally do because I’m ready to take the helm, though I don’t think they’d give it to me just yet. Not even sure if they have bareboat charters but damn I’d love to spend an afternoon out there...

13825F2C-EE4F-4867-B8A4-CABB569B36B8.jpeg

8FDDDB84-4BD2-474A-8A35-8570882993D3.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dlatin said:

While I hope to be sailing some in the BVIs I’m prepared to be staying in US waters. St John is my favorite island so that will be great staying there by boat. It just sucks we won’t be sailing much, not like when sailing BVIs. Perhaps the quarantine situation will be resolved but I am not hopeful. We had hoped to spend maybe 3 - 4 in St John and the rest in the BVIs.

What’s the current expectation for BVI in July?  We are assuming by thanksgiving it’s back to normal. 

I’m not sure what to expect in July exactly but right now there are testing protocols on day 0 and day 4 and a 4 day quarantine upon entry. Just the other day they waived the quarantine with proof of vaccination.

• Hook 'Em 1