2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

In 2020, @MadiSkinner was part of @KentuckyVB's national championship win over #Texas. In 2022, the Katy native, now with @TexasVolleyball, tallied 12 kills to help the #Longhorns win their first title since 2012. "I'm so grateful to be a part of this program."

Has there been any other volleyball players to win a National Championship playing for two different teams?

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Can anyone break down next years team for us novices?  Projected starters, conference standings, transfer possibilities etc

There's so many moving pieces. Remember, this past offseason was a whirlwind, and it was unprecedented. I can't imagine this offseason equaling it, but I also can't imagine we'll know the final roster until after the spring portal window closes down and all the prominent transfers make their final decision.

That said, here's the roster as of right now (from volleytalk):

Opp - Auburn Thomkinson, Fr

OH - Sydney Helmers, Fr

S - Ella Swindle, Fr

MB - Nya Bunton, Fr

Opp/MB - Jordyn Byrd, Fr

MB - Mariana Singletary, R-Fr

OH - Kenna Miller, R-Fr (walk on)

S - Marina Crownover, R-Fr (walk on)

L/DS Emma Halter, So

OPP - Devin Kahahawai, So

MB - Deandre Pierce, R-So (walk on)

OH - Melanie Parra, Jr

OH - Madisen Skinner, Jr+

L/DS - Keonilei Akana Jr+

L/DS - Reilly Heinrich Jr (walk on)

MB - Bella Bergmark, Sr+

OPP/MB - Molly Phillips, Sr+

MB - Asjia O'Neal R-Sr+

It's guaranteed that O'Neal will be a starting MB, and that Skinner will be a starting OH. As of right now Swindle is guaranteed to be the starting setter as a true freshman, but it's almost a certainty that Texas will bring in another setter from the transfer portal. Doesn't mean they'll be competition. Could only be for depth. 

Carissa Barnes is virtually certain to be another L/DS as another covid year 5th year transfer from Texas A&M-CC. Although it's not official yet.

Everything else is up in the air, including Molly Phillips playing right side or moving back to middle blocker. 

I'm sure Js1 will start another volleyball thread for next year's team, and we'll have more discussion there, but this at least gives you a peak at things. Other people can speculate as to what the lineup will actually be. I consider it wasted effort, because there's simply no way to know. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

There's so many moving pieces. Remember, this past offseason was a whirlwind, and it was unprecedented. I can't imagine this offseason equaling it, but I also can't imagine we'll know the final roster until after the spring portal window closes down and all the prominent transfers make their final decision.

That said, here's the roster as of right now (from volleytalk):

Opp - Auburn Thomkinson, Fr

OH - Sydney Helmers, Fr

S - Ella Swindle, Fr

MB - Nya Bunton, Fr

Opp/MB - Jordyn Byrd, Fr

MB - Mariana Singletary, R-Fr

OH - Kenna Miller, R-Fr (walk on)

S - Marina Crownover, R-Fr (walk on)

L/DS Emma Halter, So

OPP - Devin Kahahawai, So

MB - Deandre Pierce, R-So (walk on)

OH - Melanie Parra, Jr

OH - Madisen Skinner, Jr+

L/DS - Keonilei Akana Jr+

L/DS - Reilly Heinrich Jr (walk on)

MB - Bella Bergmark, Sr+

OPP/MB - Molly Phillips, Sr+

MB - Asjia O'Neal R-Sr+

It's guaranteed that O'Neal will be a starting MB, and that Skinner will be a starting OH. As of right now Swindle is guaranteed to be the starting setter as a true freshman, but it's almost a certainty that Texas will bring in another setter from the transfer portal. Doesn't mean they'll be competition. Could only be for depth. 

Carissa Barnes is virtually certain to be another L/DS as another covid year 5th year transfer from Texas A&M-CC. Although it's not official yet.

Everything else is up in the air, including Molly Phillips playing right side or moving back to middle blocker. 

I'm sure Js1 will start another volleyball thread for next year's team, and we'll have more discussion there, but this at least gives you a peak at things. Other people can speculate as to what the lineup will actually be. I consider it wasted effort, because there's simply no way to know. 

I’ve said as much it will be:

OH Skinner

OH Byrd/Helmers/Parra/transfer (whoever separates if Texas does not get a 6 rotation OH from the portal)

MB1 O’Neal

MB2 Singletary/Bergmark (Singletary has gotten a lot of praise towards the end of the season on her progression in the practice gym and our RS FR MB tend to be quite good as we redshirt them as a practice)

RS Phillips/Devin K

S Swindle 

L Barnes

DS Halter/Akana

• Hook 'Em 3

Gotdamn they are miserable people.

I mean, I enjoy Corn schadenfreude as much as anyone, but surely not enough to go hunt down random tweets and talk shit, or even go to an actual game to cheer against them.  And not in a jokey or ironic way like the frat rats at the eaTme games.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, I enjoy Corn schadenfreude as much as anyone, but surely not enough to go hunt down random tweets and talk shit, or even go to an actual game to cheer against them.  And not in a jokey or ironic way like the frat rats at the eaTme games.

I agree with you, but aren’t you the guy who wore the pedobear costume to a Penn State game?

• Haha 1

OH Skinner
OH Byrd/Helmers/Parra/transfer (whoever separates if Texas does not get a 6 rotation OH from the portal)
MB1 O’Neal
MB2 Singletary/Bergmark (Singletary has gotten a lot of praise towards the end of the season on her progression in the practice gym and our RS FR MB tend to be quite good as we redshirt them as a practice)
RS Phillips/Devin K
S Swindle 
L Barnes
DS Halter/Akana

Played club against singletary several times. Best player I saw in the class of 22.

She is also a really nice kid. We had a long delay and A5 and our team had a dance off. It was funny as hell. Anyway after that the girls got to know lots of their players between games. They all loved Singletary.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Now do it again next year!

*too soon?

Texas is always going to be in the running. Stanford will be the favorite as of right now. Texas will likely be just outside the "favorites" depending on who they get in the portal. The biggest thing is the unknown at setter. Pitt runs a 6-2, but the other 3 Final Four teams all had Covid year setters - including SKT for Texas. UT will likely be putting a true freshman out there. She enrolls in January, and she's extremely highly regarded as a 6'2/6'3 setter (2nd rated setter in the class), but the best freshman setters last year in Averi Carlson for Baylor and Stucky for Florida were both eliminated in the Sweet Sixteen.

Backcourt looks good, but it's tough for me to believe it will be as good without Fleck. I'm not saying it can't be, just that she was unbelievable. Both in terms of as a player and as a team leader. And her serving was outstanding. There's at least a ton of potential. 

So much of the team is made up of the 5 incoming freshmen plus the 3 freshmen from last year. They're all ridiculously talented, but I'm expecting growing pains. 

One thing's for sure. If they end up falling short next year, they'll be one of the favorites the next season. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

but the best freshman setters last year in Averi Carlson for Baylor and Stucky for Florida were both eliminated in the Sweet Sixteen.

I don't watch enough of Florida to know why they lost early, but Baylor lost because they had to replace Skinner, Van der Mark, Pressley and Bramschreiber.  It might just be McGuire, but damn does Baylor just ignore their middles like they're invisible.  And losing both senior OH hurts.

My hope is that Swindle coming in with more established hitters and leaders (Skinner, Molly, O'Neal, Bergmark, Devin) means less of an adjustment because we aren't replacing *as much* as Baylor was.  Plus she's coming in the spring.  And we keep Halter, Akana and bring in another really good libero in Barnes. 

Someone will fill the Logan void - that's really the big question mark.  If not one of Devin (hitting from OH instead of RS), Helmers, Byrd or Parra, maybe Texas finds a way to add Jenna Wenaas (Minny OH and Texas native, is in the portal allegedly). 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't watch enough of Florida to know why they lost early, but Baylor lost because they had to replace Skinner, Van der Mark, Pressley and Bramschreiber.  It might just be McGuire, but damn does Baylor just ignore their middles like they're invisible.  And losing both senior OH hurts.

My hope is that Swindle coming in with more established hitters and leaders (Skinner, Molly, O'Neal, Bergmark, Devin) means less of an adjustment because we aren't replacing *as much* as Baylor was.  Plus she's coming in the spring.  And we keep Halter, Akana and bring in another really good libero in Barnes. 

Someone will fill the Logan void - that's really the big question mark.  If not one of Devin (hitting from OH instead of RS), Helmers, Byrd or Parra, maybe Texas finds a way to add Jenna Wenaas (Minny OH and Texas native, is in the portal allegedly). 

Wenaas is definitely in the portal.

The point of bringing up Baylor and Florida wasn't to make some kind of definitive statement about UT's ceiling. I consider the Final Four a birthright. It's to emphasize the importance of experience at the setter role, and Texas won't have that next year. 

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by Baylor ignoring their middles. McGhee and Talbert were two of the biggest 1-2 punches in all of volleyball in the middle this past year. Of course, they have to replace both of them. Meh, that's Baylor's problem. They'll almost certainly be really young again this coming season.

A big part of losing "early" is the seeding. It helps a lot to get that #1 seed and host the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight rounds. Baylor lost to Wisconsin and Florida lost to Pitt, so no big shame in either case. But when you're a #1 and can face a #4 seed in the Sweet Sixteen, it sure helps make it easier to move on. 

In any case, like I said, my point is that to go far in the tourney with a freshman setter is unusual. Not saying it can't happen, or that Texas won't have advantages at other positions or overall talent superiority to most teams. It's just an extra challenge. For all we know she can completely bomb like Ashley Shook did, or Kennedy Orr did for Nebraska this year. You just never know.  

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

OH Skinner

MB1 O’Neal

RS Phillips/Devin K

S Swindle 

L Barnes

DS Halter/Akana

I think the biggest question mark will be at setter.  SKT did a great job covering the court and putting up out of system balls where the hitters could get a swing.

The front row should still be very strong. 

Of course losing Fleck will be huge, she isn't replaceable just like Logan.  Halter is going to be a demon.  With a NC under her belt and the added confidence, I think she just keeps getting better and better. Add in the transfer Barnes (whom admittedly I don't know much about) and maybe the back row doesn't drop off too much.

9 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I think the biggest question mark will be at setter.  SKT did a great job covering the court and putting up out of system balls where the hitters could get a swing.

Of course losing Fleck will be huge, she isn't replaceable just like Logan.  Halter is going to be a demon.  With a NC under her belt and the added confidence, I think she just keeps getting better and better. Add in the transfer Barnes (whom admittedly I don't know much about) and maybe the back row doesn't drop off too much.

Barnes is a huge get. Remember Fleck was at UCSB prior to UCLA and a lot of people wanted her. Barnes has put up great numbers this past year against NCAA teams, not just SLC teams

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Halter?, destined for all the accolades one day. Starting the NC as a true fish.. that's fucking bad ass

got the espn+ replay going on.

Just saw she was literally the first lady to touch the rock for us to start the match.

LOVE IT!

Edited by kingkoopa6

48 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

That's interesting. I felt like that was SKT's weakness. I never felt like she did a good job of covering the court. Not compared to other elite setters.

What she did a great job with is handling in system balls really well. Her back sets were terrific, whether to Phillips or O'Neal. Obviously you go to Eggleston and Skinner primarily, but given how talented those two were, I felt like she did a good job of spreading the ball around. Couldn't ever seem to get Caffey going like Caffey did at Nebraska, but that's okay. Heck, Nebraska did an abominable job getting their middles going this year, so it's not like she missed out in any way.

Also, SKT wasn't a liability in the front court. That was particularly important versus San Diego, where they had Edwards going after her every time she had her front row rotation, just like Texas went after Blossom. 

I also don't think she was particularly great in defense, although she was serviceable. 

I felt like she had a really good serve at times, and then at other times it felt like it was dialed back, either by the staff or her. She had an abominable "passing against" number versus Louisville. A 2.56. Might as well have served it underhand. Literally.

Overall I absolutely feel like she was a key to the championship. That's obvious. I'm glad she got Honorable mention honors as a setter, but I honestly felt like she deserved at least 3rd team AA recognition. I'm grateful we had her. No offense to Jhenna Gabriel, who I loved, but I still have nightmares of Stumler going over her 5'6 block at the net over and over again in the championship match versus Kentucky. 

41 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

JS1 - For next year, anyone on the squad head and shoulders above everyone else in the nation? 

Skinner? i'd assume.

Halter?, destined for all the accolades one day. Starting the NC as a true fish.. that's fucking bad ass

Skinner. O’Neal. Halter. 

• Like 1

Just now, SATXHorn said:

Honorable Mention to Molly.

I also feel like we will have a conference Freshman of the Year. I don’t know who… just gotta feeling. (Can Singletary be Freshman of the Year after redshirt?)

i think so because it’s technically your freshman (first) season of eligibility 

Don’t worry, I pissed off so many of them sitting around me because I was so loud and stood up after every UT point. Even had one woman try to stare me down during a timeout. I was having none of it.

That said, most offered their congrats as they were leaving. We don’t like each other, but many still have the respect at least.
  • Hook 'Em 8

So idk, we have time still for Texas players to enter the portal -

Parra is probably the likeliest.  Only played 45 of 100 sets.  Undersized OH on a program with Devin (6'4) here and Helmers and Byrd (both 6'4) incoming

Kenna Miller is not on scholarship and could easily play at a lower P5 program

Akana, if she truly wants the black jersey, could go elsewhere.  But she played in 98 of 100 sets on the season, I see no reason she wouldn't continue to play just s much next year.  Because Halter also played 98 sets.  Between Halter, Akana and Barnes, they can all play almost every set and continue to make a difference. 

I think Devin at least stays through the spring to battle for that OH spot that is open from Logan graduating, unless she wants to play RS and knows she's stuck behind Molly for 2 more seasons.  Bella and Singletary will battle for the MB2 position.  

Speaking of how big Helmers and Byrd are, conceivably in a few years, we could be trotting out two 6'4 OHs, a 6'3 setter, a 6'4 RS and 6'3 and 6'4 MBs if everyone of these players stuck around (Helmers and Byrd, Swindle, Devin, Singletary and Bunton) by, what, 2024/2025? 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

That's interesting. I felt like that was SKT's weakness. I never felt like she did a good job of covering the court. Not compared to other elite setters.

What she did a great job with is handling in system balls really well. Her back sets were terrific, whether to Phillips or O'Neal. Obviously you go to Eggleston and Skinner primarily, but given how talented those two were, I felt like she did a good job of spreading the ball around. Couldn't ever seem to get Caffey going like Caffey did at Nebraska, but that's okay. Heck, Nebraska did an abominable job getting their middles going this year, so it's not like she missed out in any way.

Also, SKT wasn't a liability in the front court. That was particularly important versus San Diego, where they had Edwards going after her every time she had her front row rotation, just like Texas went after Blossom. 

I also don't think she was particularly great in defense, although she was serviceable. 

I felt like she had a really good serve at times, and then at other times it felt like it was dialed back, either by the staff or her. She had an abominable "passing against" number versus Louisville. A 2.56. Might as well have served it underhand. Literally.

Overall I absolutely feel like she was a key to the championship. That's obvious. I'm glad she got Honorable mention honors as a setter, but I honestly felt like she deserved at least 3rd team AA recognition. I'm grateful we had her. No offense to Jhenna Gabriel, who I loved, but I still have nightmares of Stumler going over her 5'6 block at the net over and over again in the championship match versus Kentucky. 

From my perspective, one of the most improved aspects for this team was the ability to score out of system.  I felt like a lot of that was attributable to SKT's ability to put up solid sets in those situations.  Obviously it helps to have hitters like Logan and Madi to make you look good.

I guess my main frame of reference is what I've seen the last several years from UT and their opponents. I just thought SKT did a much better job of giving our hitters a chance compared to what we saw from Gabriel or Shook (not saying much, I know).  You have probably watched a lot of other teams play and have a better feel than I do.

If you are a setter on a top ten team you better be able to set well in system, not sure you're playing if you don't.