Austin FC

Bottlecap

Here's your 2022 slate, AFC fans:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/clubs/austin-fc/schedule/#date=2022-01-01

FIrst 3 outta 4 at Q2, including SXSW capoff.  We also end the season with an ACL capoff (10/9-Sunday).  

And your "Ow, my sweaty balls!" 7:00pm contests are 7/24 & 8/26 and a 9/14 playdate that seems destined for an afternoon kickoff for TV flex.  

All in all, a great looking slate.  I'm looking forward to next season.  

On 12/15/2021 at 7:59 AM, Lobo said:

Yeah, that's a fucked up rule.  "Welcome to the MLS.  Now give us one of your best forwards."  The fucking paint on our pitch isn't even dry yet and we're losing players?  I know we've got a buncha resident rule experts on here, but I would have just assumed at first blush you get a 2-3 year "cooling period" before your roster can get raided like this.  

I mean the league as a whole doesn't really know what it's doing yet. It's just recently become fairly popular - at least in cities with teams - so they haven't really been forced to change anything that needs to be changed. It's a weird mishmash of American sports league concepts and international club soccer practices. 

The playoffs are a mess and it was discussed some on the MLS thread. The salary cap stuff is silly and keeps better players from staying in the US. I think overall they need to be more assertive in picking a direction and sticking with it. 

And - yeah - whoever decided that brand new teams are eligible for expansion drafting is a moron. I mean think about it from the player's perspective - he was somewhere, then he goes to Austin for a year, now he's on his way to a 3rd club in 3 seasons. That blows. 

Edited by ztejas

Looks like a solid acquisition for the midfield and offense, but I hope they are working on getting more to add to the defense.   

ETA:  looks like Sporting KC signed Ben Sweat.  We didn't see much of him due to injury, but it leaves us even thinner in the back.  Hopefully a sign that they are going after a really good center back.

Edited by Jerry Callo

On 12/17/2021 at 3:44 PM, ztejas said:

I mean the league as a whole doesn't really know what it's doing yet. It's just recently become fairly popular - at least in cities with teams - so they haven't really been forced to change anything that needs to be changed. It's a weird mishmash of American sports league concepts and international club soccer practices. 

The playoffs are a mess and it was discussed some on the MLS thread. The salary cap stuff is silly and keeps better players from staying in the US. I think overall they need to be more assertive in picking a direction and sticking with it. 

And - yeah - whoever decided that brand new teams are eligible for expansion drafting is a moron. I mean think about it from the player's perspective - he was somewhere, then he goes to Austin for a year, now he's on his way to a 3rd club in 3 seasons. That blows. 

This is the most Austin FC fan take on the expansion draft ever

5 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

This is the most Austin FC fan take on the expansion draft ever

I promise I'd have the same take regardless. It's silly. And I don't even know the name of the guy we lost- it's not about that. But we're close to 30 teams so whatever. 

Just giving you shit I know you aren't talking out your ass. I do agree about league direction but that is for the MLS or US soccer thread because I believe MLS is to blame for the bullshit we've seen with the USMNT until recently. MLS needs to embrace the transfer mid league area, we can pay more than the other non top tier leagues and be a comfy spot for the olds who want to stunt on youngins like Zlatan, he had no business in MLS

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Texas Trifecta!!

He will (I think) go down as the first player to play for all three Texas teams.

Yep. Crazy that someone has done it one year and one month into Austin FC’s existence. It’s a nice addition for attacking depth.

now let’s focus on the back line.

40 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Austin FC picked up Kipp Keller a midfielder from St. Louis University with the 5th pick in the MLS Super Draft (presented by adidas).

FI2T34SXoAwuESJ?format=jpg&name=small

People don’t seem to be able to agree on his position. I see him listed as a midfielder in some places and a center back in others. 

3 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

People don’t seem to be able to agree on his position. I see him listed as a midfielder in some places and a center back in others. 

I was just looking at that.  He was listed as a midfielder for St. Louis University, but they said center back when the pick was announced.  He received praise in college for his defense, so hopefully he has the skills to play in the back.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Is Valencia a CB? Got that impression from how they described him as someone who would allow our offensive minded midfielders (Ring?) to play more forward.

I understand that he is a strong defensive midfielder, which would allow Ring to play higher up.  I'm just excited to see the new roster take the field.  Still waiting for a proven CB.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:38 PM, MidTexHorn said:

Is Valencia a CB? Got that impression from how they described him as someone who would allow our offensive minded midfielders (Ring?) to play more forward.

Valencia is the 6, which will let Ring play more forward and connect w Driussi. Should make the attack much better.

Keller should be a really good 4th CB this year. All indications are that a starter is still incoming. That happening would put a bow on a pretty good off-season.

• Hook 'Em 2

Saw this roster by position on the Twitter @WeAreAustinTV. My starting lineup would have Jimenez over Lima and Valencia over Pereria. Laid out like this, the roster is looking petty good - still need another CB.

5e3b0893a0b77042f71043a90d261960.jpg

As far as starters go….that’s still last years back line, and Kolmanic remains the sole bright spot back there.

I want to see Cascante replaced. Romana is a youngster, he can improve. Idk about all the head-scratching attacking moments he tries out, but he plays hard more often than not. I think we can do better at RB too, but those guys are serviceable. Just not difference-makers. I'm excited about our coming attack though. Could be fun .

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I want to see Cascante replaced. Romana is a youngster, he can improve. Idk about all the head-scratching attacking moments he tries out, but he plays hard more often than not. I think we can do better at RB too, but those guys are serviceable. Just not difference-makers. I'm excited about our coming attack though. Could be fun .

I think if we get a stronger CB, Jimenez will be very effective starting offensive plays.  His ability to connect passes is better than anyone in the back and one of the best of the team IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1