Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Fri night set list for PJ had too many deep cuts. It was my wife’s first time seeing pearl jam, and I got damn frustrated with them for it. They played some goddamn disco song for fuck’s sake. Can’t include black but  can fit in a disco song?

Eddie knew going in the set list would disappoint and told the audience that mike mccready made the set list leading into evenflow.

I get the band wants to change things up but not everyone has seen the band live 10+ times. People that had seen them a bunch were happy with the deep cuts but people that drop $200 and never seen them before want their best

Only thing that pulled the set list out of the ditch was surprisingly playing Yellow Ledbetter to close the show.

That being said, Eddie sounded amazing. He held one note for like 10 seconds to close out one song. Truly remarkable given his age.

Wife is now toying with the idea of an Austin show to get a better set list.

Also, Dickies Arena seating sucks. Seats are wider on airlines. Not exaggerating. Viewing is poor because 1) the seats are too close together and 2) the seating on the “sidelines” is very close to the court.  Bands play in the “end zone” so the angle to view the band results in your neighbor in the audience blocking your view. Lousy venue.

Edited by GenXer

Of the random sampling of people around me before the show, 3 people were seeing PJ for the first time; all of which were 40+ yrs old. Another guy had seen them 35 times and another 10 times. That was my third time. Deep cut set lists are for people having already seen them several times. Your 90% number there to see deep cuts doesn’t check out based on those numbers.

Take two deep cuts off the setlist and replace with any of black, animal, wishlist, daughter, nothingman, not for you, corduroy, go, or given to fly, and it’s a damn good set. Eddie calling out Mike before alive tells you what eddie thought of the set list.

Regarding Dickies, the art deco architecture is beautiful. I suspect that is what masks its deficiencies with the people you spoke with. The seats are too narrow; it’s difficult to argue that point. Restroom set up is reasonably good. Hallways are much too narrow to accommodate the merch sale line, concession lines, and general thoroughfare. Dickies suffers from form follows function failure in my opinion.

IMG_5822.thumb.jpeg.0b5fed9737d543a598415adec666c60a.jpegIMG_5726.thumb.jpeg.34ae4c98fffdd9b619b09be7a9f3f158.jpeg

Went to Homecoming this weekend in Cincy. The National played 5 hours of music over two nights including front to back nights of: Night 1) High Violet and N2) Trouble Will Find Me. Some glorious shit. Bonus: reunion sets by The Walkmen and possibly the final show by Pavement? It was their last show in the reunion tour at least.

IMG_5702.thumb.jpeg.3c931decfe9c50ad919dd581996fca21.jpegIMG_5807.thumb.jpeg.ea09e827f714c0a45420e55f50f54e67.jpeg

Went to a fan meet up at Rhinegeist night before the fest and Scott Devendorf ended up showing up near the end of the night and handed out several cards for redemption the next day … I thought it’d be a print or something. But instead it was …

A signed copy of their, at the time, unreleased surprise album Laugh Track. It’s out now on Spotify as if this morning and it’s pretty great. 

IMG_5677.thumb.jpeg.1720439bfbc1e62fc073ae6978a8c309.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Oh also wanted to add that Cincinnati is a pretty cool place if you like that Midwest steel town aesthetic and culture, which I do. Seemed very Austin-y but with like 500,000 fewer people. The ease of moving through the city was awesome on such a busy weekend with Oktoberfest, FC Cincinnati, Homecoming, the Bengals, and it being a 70 degree weekend all going on. Unfortunately it’s in Ohio 🤷🏽‍♂️

Had a pretty good weekend of music.

I got a tip about a block party with Portugal. The Man performing.  Great show with only about 300 people in a parking lot.

AIL4fc-aNIvDsDjJ9gwrN05E62G4rCPMHY4vB1hz

After that show ended I went and saw Hermanos Gutierrez at Revolution Hall.  Every dude in that arena got laid.  Pure sexy time music and the women in there looked hungry.

AIL4fc_i6UE4FE6YyDwlOeDasouGcZ6p1hRB4A6t

Took my wife to see Ed Sheeran at Levi’s Stadium on Friday night (Santa Clara, CA). 

We’re seeing Steve Miller Band this Friday at the Greek Theatre (Berkeley)

Sting in October. 

Cypress Hill in October (Fox Theater, Oakland)

Parliament Funkadelic featuring George Clinton in November (Fox Theater, Oakland)

The Boss (hopefully) in December (Chase Center, SF)

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife, bless her heart, insists that it would be OK to go see Wilco at Moody Amphitheater on 9/29 -- our anniversary.  Kinda feels weird, I love Wilco, she tolerates them.

It looks like the only tickets left are GA Lawn, have any of you been to Moody and sat there?  Too far away?  Decent?

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That lawn seems like a very shitty angle to see much. My wife sat there for something last year and said she might as well have been at a bar. Everyone just talked the entire time. 

Yeah, that was kinda my thought.  We have reservations at a new Greek restaurant, I think we'll do some drinks and dinner.  I can see Wilco another day.

16 hours ago, tchookem said:

Agreed. Wishlist and Do the Evolution sealed the deal for me. 20230918_211407.jpg20230918_211347.jpg

Man, I saw PJ, Soundgarden, Swervedriver and Monster Magnet in Austin at the Coliseum back in like 92. Top to bottom it was a great show. I haven't seen them since, but have wanted to. I don't remember Eddie sitting on a stool though in 92. 

On 9/16/2023 at 3:15 PM, qwertyu1234 said:

Anybody see the yeah yeah yeahs live and if so were they any good? They do a show in my neck of the woods in November and am debating getting tickets, they are just real expensive and I’m a poor.

they’re great. We are driving the 5 or so hours up to Toronto to catch them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw Peter Gabriel at MSG on Monday. It was a great show - he still has his voice and has acquired a kinda nice older man vibe. And of course the musicians on stage with him were all stellar. If you ever have a chance to see a show where Manu Katche is behind the drums, go see it.

Was going to Willie tonight in CT, but unfortunately have to travel (ironically, to Austin).

4fcd6294bbdc98418d67413aaf841685.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

Saw Peter Gabriel at MSG on Monday. It was a great show - he still has his voice and has acquired a kinda nice older man vibe. And of course the musicians on stage with him were all stellar. If you ever have a chance to see a show where Manu Katche is behind the drums, go see it.

Was going to Willie tonight in CT, but unfortunately have to travel (ironically, to Austin).

4fcd6294bbdc98418d67413aaf841685.jpg

Fuck yeah, dude. Saw that show in London a few pages back and seeing it in Austin in a couple of weeks. How incredible was that cellist/vocalist? Manu still brings it, his drumming on Digging in the Dirt at the London show was insane. 

couple of vids from PJ last night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah the cellist was amazing. And the horn player. A lot of symphonic sound from a very small group. Having Levin and Katche under it all helps.

I had the dvd of Secret World and I wore that sumbitch out. This show wasn’t quite that level but that was almost 30 years ago (and, of course, no Papa Wemba or Paula Cole… and can’t imagine seeing the leg that included Sinead). But still incredible.

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

Yeah the cellist was amazing. And the horn player. A lot of symphonic sound from a very small group. Having Levin and Katche under it all helps.

I had the dvd of Secret World and I wore that sumbitch out. This show wasn’t quite that level but that was almost 30 years ago (and, of course, no Papa Wemba or Paula Cole… and can’t imagine seeing the leg that included Sinead). But still incredible.

yeah, it's not close to the secret world or growing up tours.  not near the level of theatricality and energy but pete is old.  no way he could do that anymore.  it's honestly kind of miraculous he can still move as well as he does and hit the vox registers he does.

feels like a swan song tour for pete so going to take as much advantage as i can.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

(and, of course, no Papa Wemba or Paula Cole… 

I used to run in a circle here in Austin with a singer-songwriter who roomed with Paula Cole at Berklee.  She was incensed when Paula got the Peter Gabriel gig.  It was almost comical -- did Berklee not teach you to just keep trying, you're not gonna land every gig?

• Hook 'Em 1

That's Bono's kid, right?  Were they any good?
LOL... turned to my friend to say I was getting U2 vibe from them. After their set he added them to his playlist to "give the kids some royalties". Come to find out... it's Bono's kid, he ain't starving.

I liked them... before learning his last name.