Dallas Stars 2022-2023 season thread

Longhorn_Fan68

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Which one of you was this?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Unless there are stick figure thin mullets all over the arena, that guy was on the telecast for a few seconds mugging a camera in the concourse area. 

Tampa up next, Boston on deck. 

Just came to post about this. My gf and i were laughing about his stupid hair and then didn't give him a second thought until i saw that vid this morning. Embarrassing, hope he gets banned

Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'.

He's one of the 2 sorry-ass motherfuckers who were standing the entire game at center ice, on the 1st row and the 3rd row. Distracting AF, even on TV. I can certainly understand people behind them getting pissed.

I remember something similar once at an IceBats game at the Expo Center. POS on the front row just had to stand for every second of the game, and fuck anyone behind him who said shit about it. He met a similar fate.

Edited by wood

Here's The Athletic's look at potential trade chips on our end (narrator: we aren't making any big trades): 

https://theathletic.com/4175429/2023/02/10/dallas-stars-trade-tiers-assets/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Imagining trades in the public and media is not a useless exercise, but it’s important to do it within the realm of reality. With the Bo Horvat and Vladimir Tarasenko trades, the cost of business was high. Both players have manageable salary-cap hits for the remainder of this season, but the two New York teams had to give up a lot to get them.

As we reported last week, the Stars will be very reluctant to trade premium draft picks before the March 3 deadline. That puts their primary sources of value on players already under their control. In this space, let’s examine the entire roster, and a little beyond, to see what pieces could be on the move. When it comes to players not on the NHL roster, only prospects who would be deemed the face of a package are included here.

Face of the Franchise

Jason Robertson, Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger, Roope Hintz

No sense in spilling much ink here. The Stars’ core nucleus is very clear. These are the players who have performed at the highest levels and earned contracts accordingly. They are the team’s present and future. None of these players will be involved in any sort of trade discussions.

If you thought about it, don’t

Tyler Seguin: The no-move clause will be a common occurrence in this tier. Seguin is under contract through 2027 and has a full no-move clause. He has no desire to go elsewhere, so that means he’s not going anywhere. Seguin is having a solid bounce-back season, with 35 points in 53 games. It’s not the production he once had but he’s an above-average middle-six centerman who has shown flexibility to also play on the wing, as he currently is.

Jamie Benn: In a surprising twist, all of the ill-advised whispers and groans about Benn have faded into the abyss. It wasn’t long ago that fans wondered if the Stars would strip Benn of his captaincy or spent their free time calculating buyout ramifications. Benn is one of the best comeback stories in the NHL this season. Regardless of all of that, he has a full no-move clause through the end of his contract in 2025.

Joe Pavelski: Pavelski has proved to be invaluable. He’s productive on the ice and is a great influence off of it. Pavelski and the Stars agreed to a contract extension last month to keep him in Dallas through 2024. He also has a full no-move clause and no desire to leave.

Esa Lindell: Not enough has been made of Lindell’s stellar season under Pete DeBoer. He may be slightly overpriced in his contract at $5.8 million AAV, but the Stars have been very satisfied with him and he’s happy in Dallas as the leader of the Finnish Mafia. Ditto again on the full no-move clause.

Ryan Suter: The most polarizing player on the Stars, Suter isn’t going anywhere this trade deadline season. He has a full no-move clause and he and his family enjoy Dallas. The only twist could be if the Stars add a defenseman to their current group and Suter is unhappy with the role it relegates him to and wants out. That is highly unlikely but still not as unlikely as the Stars finding a trade partner that would take on Suter’s contract and a team he’d be willing to waive it for.

Untouchable youngsters

Wyatt Johnston: The Stars have been pleasantly shocked with Johnston. He’s gone from a hopeful opening night player to a potential everyday NHLer, and now the Stars are now trying to figure how they can expand his role further beyond his minutes as a third-line centerman and second unit on the power play. Johnston is part of any a solution in the present and is a cheap talent in the future who will be outperforming his cap hit for years to come.

Logan Stankoven: There are evaluators in the Stars’ front office who believe Stankoven could play right now in the NHL and be a productive player, if he had been given the opportunity. Instead, he’s settled for being one of the most dominant players in junior hockey. After many failed attempts this season to find the sixth player for the top-six, the Stars view Stankoven as the solution.

A quick side note: Given the timing of things, the Stars also do not intend for Stankoven to be part of their NHL roster this season, even deep into the playoffs, barring injuries or unforeseen circumstances.

It would take a blockbuster trade

Thomas Harley: The Stars view Harley more as a trade deadline acquisition for their own roster this season than they do as a trade chip. Harley’s defensive game and hockey vision has improved greatly this season in the AHL, and his offense and skating were always the selling point on him. Having that sort of talent on the cusp of NHL readiness, at a cheap price tag, is something the Stars value a lot.

Mavrik Bourque: It was a tough start to the AHL season for Bourque, as he adjusted his body and speed to the pro game. In recent weeks, though, Bourque is starting show why he was believed by many last summer to be the best player of the three-headed prospect monster of Johnston, Stankoven and Bourque. If the Stars wanted to go get a big fish and did enough to make the cap hits work, Bourque would have to be somebody who gets brought up as a return. It’s just hard to see general manager Jim Nill giving up a promising young talent for an expensive rental.

As things currently stand, the Stars don’t have cap space to pull off a blockbuster trade, making Harley and Bourque essentially untouchable.

Stars really like him

Ty Dellandrea: For the role Dellandrea plays on the Stars, and the role he is anticpated to play in the future, the Stars love what they get out of him. He’s a gritty penalty killer and a versatile forward who can play anywhere in the lineup in a pinch and always has a spot in the middle-six. The pending restricted free agent has enough talent for another team to want him in return, but the Stars would rather keep him on his affordable price tag.

Nils Lundkvist: Despite what some may think because of his usage, the Stars remain high on Lundkvist as part of their future. They traded a first-round pick for him just a few months ago and he plays a position at which the Stars are desperate for some talent. There’s also no internal replacement for Lundkvist and the balance he brings from a lefty-righty standpoint.

Lian Bichsel: The Stars’ 2022 first-round pick had a great performance at the world juniors and his stock is rising in the organization. If Dallas had to give up somebody they really liked but the trade market demanded it, Bichsel would be the preference out of their young stable, but it would be for a player who is viewed as more than a rental.

Colin Miller: The Stars love how Miller has slid into the lineup and allowed Heiskanen to play on his strong side. Miller plays well off of Heiskanen and is reliable enough to play on the top-pairing, even though he’s not a top-pairing talent.

Mason Marchment: Many in the organization believe Marchment hasn’t had a chance to play to his full potential because of the failure of a consistent third lineup emerging. The Stars love Marchment’s tools and view him as a version of young Benn. Marchment also has a partial no-movement clause, in which he submits a 10-team no-trade list.

Scott Wedgewood: For $1 million this season and next, Stars are getting good value out of Wedgewood, who has been a very good backup goaltender. The crease is set through 2024.

Let’s talk

Denis Gurianov: The enigmatic Stars forward is a pending restricted free agent with a $2.9 million qualifying offer this summer. The Stars don’t have that kind of money for a player who has continuously performed below expectations. The Stars are OK with riding this season out, but if he plays well enough for his value to rise to where the Stars can get a more consistent player, they would make the move.

Radek Faksa: DeBoer has put Faksa with Seguin and Marchment as the latest attempt at finding the last piece for the top-six. It’s working well right now but Faksa could generate some interest on the open market. The issue is, most teams that would be interested in Faksa would be playoff teams because his style of play translates well to the postseason. That’s also why the Stars would be careful in conversations about him, making sure they are getting fair value in return, whether it be a player or a draft pick. Faksa can submit a five-team no-trade list.

Please take him

Anton Khudobin: The Stars would love for somebody to take Khudobin and give the Stars cap space but they’ve mostly made peace with that being a longshot. There would need to be a run of injuries among contending teams for anybody to really consider Khudobin, who has a .899 save percentage in 24 games with the Texas Stars this season. He had a really strong stretch from late November through mid-December, but in the six games since the holiday break, Khudobin has had a better save percentage than .900 once in seven games and worse than .640 twice, with the rest in the .800s. His stock is low, his age is high and his contract is pricey.

Throw-ins

Joel Kiviranta, Luke Glendening, Joel Hanley, Jani Hakanpaa

Whatever trade the Stars end up making, these are the players who could be included as bonus figures or for cap reasons, but there won’t be any discussions centering around these players as centerpieces. All of these players provide the Stars decent value for their cost, but all but Hakanpää are pending unrestricted free agents. There are some decent replacement options for most of these guys in the AHL. The Stars won’t break a sweat if they have to include them in any packages that could help upgrade the team higher in the lineup.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Here's The Athletic's look at potential trade chips on our end (narrator: we aren't making any big trades): 

https://theathletic.com/4175429/2023/02/10/dallas-stars-trade-tiers-assets/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

I get Nill's conundrum here. I mean, we're tops in west and the holes in this team compared to recent past ones are microscopic. I still think we need D help, but I could see us rolling with what we have and call up prospects if we need help.

I think our boost will come from the seasons ending in the minors. We have gotten players like Kivi as reinforcements right before the playoffs and have been a great as infill players. I'm looking mostly at Logan Stankoven and Connor Roulette

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I get Nill's conundrum here. I mean, we're tops in west and the holes in this team compared to recent past ones are microscopic. I still think we need D help, but I could see us rolling with what we have and call up prospects if we need help.

I think our boost will come from the seasons ending in the minors. We have gotten players like Kivi as reinforcements right before the playoffs and have been a great as infill players. I'm looking mostly at Logan Stankoven and Connor Roulette

Yes, I see that side of it too. I'm really starting to get excited about this team and our chances in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

my only concern is if Otter goes out we might be fucked. see: Vegas

This is 100% true. I would love to upgrade over Wedgewood but don't want to move any important pieces to do so because in a perfect scenario, you don't play a backup goalie in a successful Cup chase. Otter's first round against Calgary last year showed we have a Cup-caliber goalie, which meant this club was set up to be good, potentially really, really fucking good.